daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:59 PM   #1721
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6156

For pronunciation purposes. In Dutch, "Compostela" would be pronounced "Compos-tay-la" whereas "Compostella" meets Spanish pronunciation. I don't think it's very commonly used, however. At least I don't recall ever seeing it before...

IJ started out as ii, as you say, but that was aaaages ago in Middle Dutch. To avoid consfusion with the u (since the dots on the ii's were usually left out), the second i was elongated. IJ as a letter (it is capitalized as such at the beginning of sentences or with placenames such as the river IJssel) was officialized (if that's a word) in 1804. It is the 25th letter of the Dutch alphabet, replacing the Y which does not exist in Dutch except in loan words.

EDIT: I've just realized this is terribly off-topic

Last edited by Slagathor; June 22nd, 2010 at 11:12 PM.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2010, 11:35 PM   #1722
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
EDIT: I've just realized this is terribly off-topic
Chris started it, so that makes it okay.

But wasn't the "ii/ij" actually pronounced as if it were written, in modern Dutch spelling, "ie", so that "Berliin/Berlijn" and "Pariis/Parijs" would have actually matched the German and French pronunciation (forgetting about the S in Paris which is silent in French)?
That's what I was trying (badly) to say: the "ij" represents an old double or long I which matched the German and French pronunciation in those names. As some point, for whatever reason, speakers of Dutch systematically, over the course of a couple of decades, switched that long-I pronunciation to the sound that "ij" has now. When that sort of change hits a language, it will affect every word that the affected sound is present in....

Okay, perhaps we should stop now.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 11:40 PM   #1723
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i allways thought that IJ was read as "y" in "my"
Old June 22nd, 2010, 11:55 PM   #1724
koloite

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
No, its pronounced the same as the letter combination 'ei'. The words 'eis' (demand) and 'ijs' (ice) have the same pronounciation.
koloite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:00 AM   #1725
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
As an English-speaker who's tried to learn Dutch (I read it better than I understand it spoken, mostly because I don't get much opportunity to hear it), the "ij" sounds more like the diphthongized long A of English than like a long I. To me, Dutch "mij" sounds much closer to English "may" than to "my." So to get the sound of "Berlijn" in English spelling, it would be "Berlane." But a few centuries back, if I'm remembering correctly what I've read, it would have been pronounced "Berleen" (in English spelling). Which is what it sounds like in German too.

If we can come up with Spanish examples of this sort of thing - such as the fact that Zaragoza and Saragossa weren't that different at one point in time (would sound alike even today in most of Latin America, I think), we're less likely to be yelled at....
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:14 AM   #1726
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I don't really see the use of slightly altered exonyms anyway. In the Netherlands we say Berlijn, Londen and Parijs. It's not like Berlin, London and Paris are not understood by the Dutch.
Bayonne lies in the Basque Country, split between France and Spain that some claim to be indipendent from them.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:31 AM   #1727
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 32152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
If we can come up with Spanish examples of this sort of thing - such as the fact that Zaragoza and Saragossa weren't that different at one point in time (would sound alike even today in most of Latin America, I think), we're less likely to be yelled at....

Zaragoza and Saragossa are pronounced exactly the same in all Latin American countries. Only spanish speakers from Spain differentiate the sounds between "S", "Z", and a soft "C".
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:05 PM   #1728
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Chris started it, so that makes it okay.

But wasn't the "ii/ij" actually pronounced as if it were written, in modern Dutch spelling, "ie", so that "Berliin/Berlijn" and "Pariis/Parijs" would have actually matched the German and French pronunciation (forgetting about the S in Paris which is silent in French)?
That's what I was trying (badly) to say: the "ij" represents an old double or long I which matched the German and French pronunciation in those names. As some point, for whatever reason, speakers of Dutch systematically, over the course of a couple of decades, switched that long-I pronunciation to the sound that "ij" has now. When that sort of change hits a language, it will affect every word that the affected sound is present in....

Okay, perhaps we should stop now.
I'm sending you a PM to prevent further off-topic talk in this thread
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:23 PM   #1729
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
Only spanish speakers from Spain differentiate the sounds between "S", "Z", and a soft "C".
Taragota
spanish Z/C is one of the coolest sounds in all world's languages
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:45 PM   #1730
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Taragota
spanish Z/C is one of the coolest sounds in all world's languages
lol, in fact there's a big difference!
Old June 25th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #1731
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Well, leave the Zaragoza/Saragossa thing.
This is the autovía A-23 near Huesca (My hometown! )

Click on image for full size.

BTW, today Donostia's bypass opens.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; July 5th, 2010 at 09:35 PM.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #1732
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

A-8 Pendueles - Llanes will also open tomorrow according to Spanish Wikipedia.

edit: scrap that, it was 26-6-2011.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; June 25th, 2010 at 02:39 PM.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #1733
ChrisZwolle
Road user

By the way, which number would the old AP-8 (signed as A-8) get near San Sebastián?
Old June 25th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #1734
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

I think it will remain as A-8. Or A-1/A-8... The section Pendueles-Llanes will open in 2011

I want to see A-2 all the way from Madrid to the French border. Now I know where build the A-2 between kilometerposts 630 and 675, but at kmpost 653 there is a golf course...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; July 5th, 2010 at 09:36 PM.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #1735
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Quote:
By the way, which number would the old AP-8 (signed as A-8) get near San Sebastián?
A8.
What I don't understand is:
They build the AP8 in order to end with traffic jams that normally take place in the A8, this is, they want to divert traffic from A8 to AP8. Well, that makes no sense at all, if they want to do that, wouldn't it be more logical to install the toll in the crowded road?

Cheers.
Old June 25th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #1736
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I thought País Vasco didn't want to go with these "new" numbering of AP, A, etc.? They still have N-I, which is A-1 in the rest of Spain. A-8 is still signed as A-8, while it is a toll road (thus should be AP-8 all the way).
Old June 25th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #1737
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Quote:
I thought País Vasco didn't want to go with these "new" numbering of AP, A, etc.? They still have N-I, which is A-1 in the rest of Spain. A-8 is still signed as A-8, while it is a toll road (thus should be AP-8 all the way).
Well the truth is that they are not the ones who take the decision.
Old June 25th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #1738
LilMocr0

Likes (Received): 10

But ChrisZwolle is right. And since Spain has given País Vasco a lot of authority in their own region, they do have the right to keep the road numbers like that.
LilMocr0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #1739
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2652

Quote:
There is one GOOD reason to don't name all the old N-1 has A-1: it don't fits autovia standars on Guipuzkoa, a sample:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

For A-8 they are slowly changing to AP-8 on some places.

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #1740
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2652

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Well, leave the Zaragoza/Saragossa thing.
This is the autovía A-23 near Huesca (My hometown! )

Click on image for full size.

BTW, today Donostia's bypass opens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TramSS View Post
Igual se sale un poco del tema pero, por qué no se señaliza el puerto y el Aeropuerto en las nueva señalización?

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopista, carreteras, españa, highways, motorways, road, spain, spain in the world, via rapida