daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #381
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18209

I don't think the A320 plays a major role in QR's fleet anyway. Very few European destinations are served by that type.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #382
feliwi

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I don't think the A320 plays a major role in QR's fleet anyway. Very few European destinations are served by that type.
That's right. I just wanted to point out that most Arab carriers are using mainly Wide Bodies. So the capacity of the runways will not reach their limits in the very near future.
feliwi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:10 PM   #383
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
actually, the A320 play a very MAJOR role in QR's fleet in Europe.

In Europe they fly the A320s to:

1. Munich (one flight 330, other 320)
2. Venice
3. Zurich, Geneva (one flight 330, other 320)
4. Rome ((one flight 330, other 320)
5. Berlin
6. Zagreb
7. Istanbul
8. Bucharest
9. Budapest
10. Sophia
11. Moscow
12. Athens
13. Belgrade
14. Warsaw
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:51 PM   #384
gio maisuradze

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halawala View Post
actually, the A320 play a very MAJOR role in QR's fleet in Europe.

In Europe they fly the A320s to:

1. Munich (one flight 330, other 320)
2. Venice
3. Zurich, Geneva (one flight 330, other 320)
4. Rome ((one flight 330, other 320)
5. Berlin
6. Zagreb
7. Istanbul
8. Bucharest
9. Budapest
10. Sophia
11. Moscow
12. Athens
13. Belgrade
14. Warsaw

you have forgotten Tbilisi
gio maisuradze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:39 AM   #385
Fly80
Svaluser

Likes (Received): 151

(wich is not Europe )
Fly80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #386
Halawala
Fairouzy

Hey Guys,

Today I went to the new airport as a trial passenger—and man was I impressed. The airport, although still has areas that need to be finished, is HUGE. The road that leads to the airport does not still have street lights. The lights will be hand engraved with Arabic calligraphy! Imagine 100+ lights being personally engraved! WOW!

When I first came towards the terminal, I notice the roads are wide and easy to navigate; and I easily found my way to the parking area, which reminded me of Mall of Emirates parking area, where there are separate roads leading to each level of the parking structure.

Once you park your car, you enter the long parking structure, which has the Car Rental shops, atm machines. This area is by itself bigger than the current Doha Airport. It also has entrance for the Mosque structure and other things.

As trial passengers, we were briefed about safety here and given helmets and jackets. We were given "A" the Scarlett Letter, lol which means Arriving though.
Since we were Arrival passengers, first we entered the arrival area—which is the lower level of the Main Terminal. Lined with Palm Trees, this area is huge, airy, lots of natural light, and inviting. There is an Oryx lounge under construction (nothing has been started in that lounge). There are also currently no chairs installed anywhere.

We entered though the staff entrance to the baggage claim area, which have a wavy roof, and very spaced out baggage conveyor belts. After that we went backwards towards passport control area which is surprising NOT a large area. The ceiling is very low, but it does the job. I think it needs to be expanded in the future sometime. It is very wide but not very spacious like Dubai's Terminal 1 arrivals which is amazing to my opinion.

After pretending to go through passport control, we went up to the Departure area via a travellator (Carrefour-like escalator). The first thing everyone said was WOW, and boy we were right. The area is HUGE and the architecture is AMAZING! The wavy roof makes the whole thing AMAZING. There were several "islands" which had the check-in counters. The counters are made from back-lit marble. There were 11 counters per side of the Island, so 22 desks per Island.

After that we proceeded ahead to passport control. The area had plenty of desks and very spacious. We were then greeted by the Main Terminal. In real life it looks much bigger than the pictures. The huge CDE sign is the first thing we see as well as two LCD screens to the right and left. There are also A and B signs to signal passenger to where the Concourses area. After passport control, we have to go down the escalators towards the terminal gates.

April 1st will see just Terminal B open with 10 gates. From the pics it looks very short to navigate. However, it is HUGE. It seems endless to walk towards the end. You pass through the Duty Free area as you walk towards the gates. However, the duty free area has not been TOUCHED. NOTHING has been made in that area!
All of the gates holding rooms hold wide body planes with two entrances—one for First and Business, and the other for Economy passengers. Each gate has a large jet bridge entrance with scenic elevators, escalators, and staircase. Arrivals passengers would go up, while departing passengers would just use the same level.

After using our boarding pass to go "to Karachi" we went back to the Main Terminal and outside to the main check-in area and to the parking building ending our trial.

Overall thoughts:

I expected the size of the terminal to be smaller, but it was HUGE, much larger than Heathrow's Terminal 5. It is easy to navigate.

Personally, they SHOULD work VERY hard to open by April 1. There are no Duty Free shops close to opening. They didn’t even start interior works. I heard there is an Applebees and Crepaways as well other restaurants that will be built in the furture. I do not get why they didn’t start the Duty Free shops. Is the UAE-Italian company responsible for them as well? If so, then yes, they have a right to sue them. However, there are several patches in the ceiling of the terminals where they need to install cladding on as well the passport control minor works there. The Main Terminal is empty and should be filled with perhaps shopping stands, or café's instead of having it empty. Otherwise, the airport I think is an AMAZING masterpiece and joins the ranks of the other major aviation hubs. Cant wait for it to open.

Expect another 1 month delay. Don’t say HALAWALA didn’t say so.

Here are some pics in no particular order. Enjoy

Old February 28th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #387
emyrr3096

Likes (Received): 520

Thanks for yours great updates
Old February 28th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #388
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrooms View Post
Stopover in Doha commercial by Qatar Airways
(airport is featured towards the end)
This video was excellent. I'm sure you need a lot of $$$$ to really enjoy yourself in Qatar though.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #389
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Loved the photos. This airport looks fantastic. THe current terminal is absolutely horrible to use.
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #390
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

First time here, and I can truly say that the new terminal looks ultra-modern and huge! I also love the creative designs made on the ceilings (especially the one with windows at random positions): that truly makes me want to go there just to look at the shops and restaurants. And looking through your photos, it looks like the terminal will be very, very popular with passengers, from departing to arriving and transiting.

And how can one be a trial passenger for such massive airport projects? I'd say that is a rare but rewarding opportunity indeed...

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:52 AM   #391
Alrayyan
كعبه المضيوم

Likes (Received): 483

The Next Phases:

فوقك سماوات العظيم، وتحتك رفات المخلصين
اكفخ بنبض ارواحنا، يدعم على مر السنين
Alrayyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:52 PM   #392
love-qatar

Likes (Received): 562

thanks guys for the update i wanted so much to go but i had course and next week i have another course too

Halawalla, thanks a lot for the details description, it would be better better if you put in top of each pic what is there where and is it for

thanks guys
Old March 6th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #393
Halawala
Fairouzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by love-qatar View Post
thanks guys for the update i wanted so much to go but i had course and next week i have another course too

Halawalla, thanks a lot for the details description, it would be better better if you put in top of each pic what is there where and is it for

thanks guys
Your most welcome. I wanted to make detailed descriptions but when I uploaded the photos, I didnt know which one is which and it would take a lot of time to them one by one. I will be there next week as well!
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #394
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1641

Source:http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/ne...ign=newsletter
Quote:
Final testing underway at Hamad International Airport in Qatar
6 hours ago

In preparation for the soft opening of Hamad International Airport (HIA) – Qatar’s brand new airport on 1st April 2013 – a series of advanced passenger trials have been taking place at the new facility.

More than 1,000 men, women and children have gone through the trials to test the operations of passenger facilities from check-in and immigration to aircraft boarding and arrivals.

Over the next few weeks, a further 2,500 people will go through trials to ensure a smooth and successful transition of operations of flights from the current Doha International Airport (DIA) to Hamad International Airport.

The advanced trials are a key milestone for HIA as it prepares for the historic opening.

Ten airlines will begin operating from Hamad International Airport on April 1st 2013, while Qatar Airways, the main user of the facility, will switch its entire operations from DIA to HIA by the end of the year.

Hamad International is a modern, state-of-the-art airport, which will be Qatar’s new gateway to the world.

Flights from the ten airlines will operate out of concourse B, and utilise the eastern runway, which is the larger of the two runways at HIA at just under 5,000 metres.

Hamad International Airport

Positioned at the edge of the Arabian Gulf, Hamad International Airport’s tranquil waterside setting provides a perfect backdrop for its stylish architectural elements, underpinned by advanced airport systems.

Featuring two runways, among the longest in the world, a state-of-the-art air traffic control tower, a stunning passenger terminal with a design capacity of 28 million passengers per year, over 25,000 square metres of retail and food & beverage facilities and a uniquely shaped public mosque, these are some key aspects of the modern airport complex.
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #395
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 4386

Wow cool terminal. The architectural details are superb!!
World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #396
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Posted by HUMAN EGO in the Qatar forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMAN EGO View Post
AIRPORT CITY & TERMINAL 2

Old March 16th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #397
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Wish someone could get some images from the airplane. It looks pretty close.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #398
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrooms View Post
Posted by HUMAN EGO in the Qatar forum:
I hope they intend to preserve the current DOH airport... Based on the aerial shot would allow for future growth without the need to reclaim land from the sea...
Old March 16th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #399
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

What will that other small terminal be for? The one with the trains. A LCCT?

And were the pictures of the VIP Terminal? It looks great. I love the really dark room, it's like a movie set.
Old March 18th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #400
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Source:http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/ne...ign=newsletter
Quote:
Launch carriers confirmed for Hamad International Airport

Hamad International Airport has confirmed it will begin soft opening operations for ten passenger airlines from April 1st.

Biman Bangladesh Airlines, flydubai, Air Arabia, Iran Air and RAK Airways will be among the first carriers to move into the new facility.

Air India Express, Nepal Airlines, Pakistan International Airlines. Syrian Air and Yemen Airways will complete the
line up.

Qatar Airways’ flights will not be affected.

The national airline will move its entire operations from the current Doha International Airport (DIA) to Hamad International Airport (HIA) by the end of the year.

The ten airlines listed will no longer have a presence at Doha International Airport (DIA) and will operate exclusively from HIA from April 1st 2013.

There will be around 32 passenger flights departing daily from HIA equating to approximately 222 flights per week.

Concourse B at HIA will be fully operational on 1st April 2013 for passengers travelling with these ten airlines.

Passengers will enter the passenger terminal complex from the east side entrance and go directly to the check-in counters.

After check-in, immigration and security, passengers will be directed to concourse B.

At HIA, passengers departing and arriving will be boarding and exiting aircraft via an air bridge to the terminal.

Along with the concourse B opening on April 1st 2013, the eastern runway, which is the longer of the two runways at HIA, and the uniquely designed, crescent-shaped air traffic control tower, will also be in operation.

For transport between airports, arriving and departing passengers will be able to use the shuttle bus service which will be operating from HIA to Doha International Airport Departures terminal and DIA to HIA as of the April 1st 2013.

Tags
doha, south asian hub airport