daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation All about taking us higher

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #81
world1
YAAY! IM 17!

Likes (Received): 2

when i landed there i was astonished the amount of const going on in the airport!!!

Sponsored Links

Old February 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #82
paw25694
Batik

Likes (Received): 30

what's this?
paw25694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #83
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 194

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw25694 View Post
what's this?
Thats the Amiri Terminal, an exclusive state-of-the-art terminal for our Amir and VVIP guests.
Old February 16th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #84
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by world1 View Post
when i landed there i was astonished the amount of const going on in the airport!!!
yup, with plenty of cranes.

Last edited by QatPhils; February 16th, 2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Halawala replied the answer
QatPhils no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #85
QatPhils

posted by salman

Quote:
Originally Posted by salman515 View Post
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:13 AM   #86
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 578

wow, the VIP Terminal is something special...!
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:23 AM   #87
Afghan
Afghan

Likes (Received): 0

NDIA

Nice airport with a copied design. The contracted company is Bechtel and they are famous for their diplomatic deceit to silly Arab Amirs. Great to see Beduins will be running great airport hubs like NDIA, Dubai World Central and Abu Zabhi. Hopefully, Bahrain, Kuwait and Muscat authorities also wake up from their coma and catch with the rest.

Middle Eastern hubs are a big headache for traditional European and some asian hubs. Qataria, Emirates and Etihad are also serious threats to the european carriers domination.

Good work Arabs and Go on Middle East ...
Afghan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:21 AM   #88
Afghan
Afghan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puntagorda View Post
^
Do you think it´s such a smart move to build a new airport of that size at just about 4 to 7 kilometres from the city centre, with its approach path right above "The Pearl"?? Regarding there´s plenty of empty space available on the whole peninsula...
That doesn´t really seem very farsighted to me!!
The airport is being constructed on a reclaimed land which itself is a very silly and illogical idea given to the fact that Qatar is not a city state. It has plenty of land and virtually, the whole country is flat. As I said before that the contracted company is BECHTEL and this company is experienced in deceiving the stupid Arab Kings by big mouthed talks and a show of prestige over neighbouring Kingdoms; to get huge huge contracts worth at least hundred of millions.

I feel the approach and departing flight paths will not do substantial hum to the city center but yes the PEARL residents will bear the brunt of all the arriving aircraft noise. Additionally, all noisy aircraft like AN 12, IL 76 and B 727 are heavily used by DHL, FEDEX and US military for cargo & so called relief operations; it will make the PEARL a hell of noise if the approach paths were to be from N-S.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM   #89
OshHisham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afghan View Post
Middle Eastern hubs are a big headache for traditional European and some asian hubs. Qataria, Emirates and Etihad are also serious threats to the european carriers domination.
those arabian carriers are not the threat....bcoz they(european airliners) are dead already..
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 01:12 PM   #90
ddes

Likes (Received): 275

Don't discount the European carriers.

I think the biggest threat to Middle Eastern airlines are themselves, with Emirates the biggest threat to Qatar, Etihad, Gulf Air, Saudi Arabian and the others. This is largely because EK is going to flood the market with A380s, B777s, A350s and EK is already established with its Dubai hub.

And expect Asian carriers like Singapore Airlines, and the Qantas-Jetstar combo to put up a good fight...
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:37 PM   #91
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 194

Quote:
Nice airport with a copied design. The contracted company is Bechtel and they are famous for their diplomatic deceit to silly Arab Amirs. Great to see Beduins will be running great airport hubs like NDIA, Dubai World Central and Abu Zabhi. Hopefully, Bahrain, Kuwait and Muscat authorities also wake up from their coma and catch with the rest.

Good work Arabs and Go on Middle East ...
Afghan, first of all, the site was chosen personally by His Highness the Amir--and not by Bechtel.

Second of all, Abu Dhabi is spelled this way; correct your spelling.

Third of all, Bechtel, my former employer, is one of the most respected companies in the Middle East. It is highly professional and did an excellent job in delievering a safe and efficial final project.
Quote:
The airport is being constructed on a reclaimed land which itself is a very silly and illogical idea given to the fact that Qatar is not a city state. It has plenty of land and virtually, the whole country is flat. As I said before that the contracted company is BECHTEL and this company is experienced in deceiving the stupid Arab Kings by big mouthed talks and a show of prestige over neighbouring Kingdoms; to get huge huge contracts worth at least hundred of millions.

I feel the approach and departing flight paths will not do substantial hum to the city center but yes the PEARL residents will bear the brunt of all the arriving aircraft noise. Additionally, all noisy aircraft like AN 12, IL 76 and B 727 are heavily used by DHL, FEDEX and US military for cargo & so called relief operations; it will make the PEARL a hell of noise if the approach paths were to be from N-S.
The New Airport was built before the Pearl was concieved, and its distance from the Airport means that the approach sounds is not that much since it is at least 20 kilometers north of the northern most point of the runway. The noise pollution is minimized here.

The US military uses its own airbase south of Doha and not DOH. There are no 727 currently operating into DOH except the occasional Syrian Air.

____
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:44 PM   #92
paw25694
Batik

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halawala View Post
Thats the Amiri Terminal, an exclusive state-of-the-art terminal for our Amir and VVIP guests.
awesome design
paw25694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #93
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Rail network proposed for New Doha airport

A model of the train that is likely to be part of the New Doha International Airport

THE new Doha International Airport (NDIA) will have a rail network ready to be connected to Doha’s proposed modern transport system.
According to officials, there could be two networks: a high speed rail and another light rail system.
Since no final decision had been taken on the rail network in the country, the airport will not lay rails now though tunnels will be built, including stretches under the runway. A station too will be built underground.
“When the Doha rail service comes, we will only have to put rails in the tunnel”, one official pointed out.
The system could connect to Doha’s network at a point near the Marriott hotel. According to a tentative plan, trains could take passengers up to the short stay car parking, it is learnt.
Since the rail system was not part of the original airport design, there might be problems in integrating it to the terminal, an official revealed. However, passengers would be able to wheel their baggage to the station from the airport terminal. Further studies were now underway, the officials said.
“I have seen different studies” about the city rail network, one official said. “One report by UPDA (Urban Planning and Development Authority) shows a rail line coming from the Airport Road”. The exact route of the airport rail can only be decided after the city plan is finalised.

Notice there mixing up some stuff..... btw i really liked the model it lookes so modern with only 2 colour's black for the dark coloured glass and white for the rest with NDIA Printed on the glass !!
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #94
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 578

wow...that train is something !
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #95
channel
BANNED

excellent pictures, great project
channel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #96
Afghan
Afghan

Quote:
Afghan, first of all, the site was chosen personally by His Highness the Amir--and not by Bechtel.

Third of all, Bechtel, my former employer, is one of the most respected companies in the Middle East. It is highly professional and did an excellent job in delievering a safe and efficial final project.

The New Airport was built before the Pearl was concieved, and its distance from the Airport means that the approach sounds is not that much since it is at least 20 kilometers north of the northern most point of the runway. The noise pollution is minimized here.

The US military uses its own airbase south of Doha and not DOH. There are no 727 currently operating into DOH except the occasional Syrian Air.

____
Once again, my intention is not to hurt patriotic sentiments so take it easy Bro!

Last edited by Afghan; April 29th, 2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old April 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #97
Afghan
Afghan

Quote:

____
I understand your feeling as I think you are Qatari so sorry if my comments offended you. Virtually, Bechtel has a SAY in 99.99 % of the affairs of GCC and if you dont acknowledge that, I respect your feelings.

I asked some of my Arab friends (a Jordanian, a Palestinian and a Sudani) and they said its written and spoken Abu Zabhi but westerners write it as Dhabi and for your kind information, I have no plans to become a full fledge westerner.

Of course my brother, Bechtel is a respected company because it is respected by Al Thanis, Al Sabahs, Al Nahyans, Al Khalifas and of course Al Sauds. No doubt, they deliver the highest quality & most professional services with HIGHER COSTS and almost without any competitors.

Once again, my intention is not to hurt patriotic sentiments so take it easy Bro!
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #98
QatPhils

Ha, since a moderated just posted, you're previous post are different to what your saying currently

anyways, posted by salman
Quote:
Originally Posted by salman515 View Post

Old June 13th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #99
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 355

Quote:

I did wonder why they didn't just build this airport inland. Either way building this on reclaimed land probably just makes it more interesting.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #100
Afghan
Afghan

I wish NDIA operators also give some importance to greenery as the current Doha airport is so barren that it seems to be in the stone age. The islands encircled by the runways/taxiways should be carpetted with luch grass and tree vareities (other than date palm) should be planted around the airport to give it a good green look

Tags
doha