daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 1st, 2009, 06:37 PM   #121
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D
 
QatPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Doha, Qatar ; La Trinidad - Baguio
Posts: 3,133
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
oh ok. I thought the capcity was like 7 million. So i guess Doha and Abu Dhabi are very similar in terms of airport capapcity. They can both handle 12 million.

I have 3 questions:

1. How many passengers did Doha airport handle in 2008

2. How many aircraft stands does the current airport have? Because, everytime i've flown through doha, i always have to take a bus to the aircraft.

3. How many aircraft orders does Qatar Airways have? Some say 140 orders, others say over 200. I'm confused. The Qatar Airways wikipedia article says 140 orders..

btw QatPhils, i sort of copied your signature for Emirates. Hope you don't mind. I'll remove it if you don't want me to have it.

And also, is this the official NDIA thread, or is it this one:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...304873&page=22
Answers:

1. I do not know know how many, since the airport's recent statistics aren't given out.

2. As for the stands, there are 44 stands as of 2007.

3. The current orders known to public is around 140 as you have said, but the airline has ordered over 200 which are to be revealed during the June Paris Air show (2009).

Sure I don't mind you copying my signiture.

This is the thread for the International Forums, while the link you posted is for the Qatar forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowMan View Post
Doha's new airport looks allot smaller that I imagined it would be. Still, it looks like a fantastic new airport .
Maybe, but it looks like a copy of Hong Kongs, so many people incl. me say its the same size, the total capacity expected for the 3rd phase is up to 50 million to 90 million pax.
QatPhils no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:48 AM   #122
EmiratesAirline380
Registered User
 
EmiratesAirline380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver/Dubai
Posts: 1,993
Likes (Received): 581

The airport has 44 stands!! But why are their only like 30 gates??
__________________
EMIRATES AIRLINE

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:48 AM   #123
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D
 
QatPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Doha, Qatar ; La Trinidad - Baguio
Posts: 3,133
Likes (Received): 11

There are 16 gates. Many gates are used multiple times.
QatPhils no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:33 PM   #124
EmiratesAirline380
Registered User
 
EmiratesAirline380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver/Dubai
Posts: 1,993
Likes (Received): 581

But if they have 44 stands, then why don't the aircraft always park at the main airport gate? Dubai's Terminal 1 only has 32 air bridges, and 28 mobile gates.
And Terminal 3 has 28 aircraft stands or air bridges.

Its very strange for the airport to build so many aircraft stands, but not build the airport large enough to handle so many passengers.

I think their aren't that many aircraft stands.
QatPhilis, from where did you get this indormation of 44 stands from, because if its from wikipedia then its probably wrong as any body can edit it.
__________________
EMIRATES AIRLINE

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:41 PM   #125
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D
 
QatPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Doha, Qatar ; La Trinidad - Baguio
Posts: 3,133
Likes (Received): 11

Doha's current terminal is quite small and has no air bridges, and also has no room for expansion. So the number of gates are limited. The aircraft stands are placed at the right and left sides of the airport, and there are also at the otherside of the runway.

I don't retrieve the information from wikipedia, this is the link: http://www.azworldairports.com/airports/a2340doh.cfm
I also got my information from information books here in Qatar.
QatPhils no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:54 PM   #126
Halawala
Fairouzy
 
Halawala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Doha
Posts: 7,868
Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by QatPhils View Post
Doha's current terminal is quite small and has no air bridges, and also has no room for expansion. So the number of gates are limited. The aircraft stands are placed at the right and left sides of the airport, and there are also at the otherside of the runway.

I don't retrieve the information from wikipedia, this is the link: http://www.azworldairports.com/airports/a2340doh.cfm
I also got my information from information books here in Qatar.
Yeah, but once the new airport opens there will be one 4800 meter runway and 40 aircraft bridges (I think)... The second runway and an additional runway are slated for the third phase.

BTW, ur signature should read 2009!
__________________
@Halawala
#R4BIA #thankyouHAMAD
Halawala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:27 PM   #127
EmiratesAirline380
Registered User
 
EmiratesAirline380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver/Dubai
Posts: 1,993
Likes (Received): 581

oh i see. So an aircraft stand is basically a parking area or parking bay, right?

How many will the new airport have?
DXB has around 145 parking bays for aircraft. So i'm guessing the new airport will also have the same amount, or atleast ober 60.
__________________
EMIRATES AIRLINE

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:28 PM   #128
EmiratesAirline380
Registered User
 
EmiratesAirline380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver/Dubai
Posts: 1,993
Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halawala View Post
Yeah, but once the new airport opens there will be one 4800 meter runway and 40 aircraft bridges (I think)... The second runway and an additional runway are slated for the third phase.

BTW, ur signature should read 2009!
yeah around 40. I counted from the renders, but i got 38, but i'm sure i missed some.
I hope this airport will be able to handle like around 60 million passengers. That would be really good. Its good Doha isn't rushing to build the largest and the busiest airport in the world. Their smart, unlike Dubai which is hoping to handle like 240 million passengers (Dubai Wolrd Central:160 million + DXB:80 million) in a year, Doha has planned this out more carefully and hopefully will be able to handle a large amount of passengers over time.
When will this airport completely open??
__________________
EMIRATES AIRLINE

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:20 PM   #129
Halawala
Fairouzy
 
Halawala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Doha
Posts: 7,868
Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
oh i see. So an aircraft stand is basically a parking area or parking bay, right?

How many will the new airport have?
DXB has around 145 parking bays for aircraft. So i'm guessing the new airport will also have the same amount, or atleast ober 60.
Well, yeah, in Doha Airport, an aircraft stand is a parking bay. They are increasing the number of bays in the current airport last time I flew from there a few weeks ago. There are at least 10 new widebodied stands. Believe me, Doha is I think the most crowded airprot in the Middle East!

As far as the new airport, I heard that opneing day will see Phase I and II open together, and some othe rpeople say all three phases open at once. However, one thing for sure: Phase I and II will both at least be function once the new airport opens late next year or mid-2011:

Phase II (Opening day)


Phase III
__________________
@Halawala
#R4BIA #thankyouHAMAD
Halawala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:33 PM   #130
EmiratesAirline380
Registered User
 
EmiratesAirline380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver/Dubai
Posts: 1,993
Likes (Received): 581

wow, the airport willl have 52 gates in total on opening day, that will be like Dubai's Terminal 1 (in terms of gates)! This airport will be very busy.
In total this airport will have 91 gates in total when fully complete. That will be comparable to Dubai, which will have 90 contact gates and 28 mobile gates once Concourse 3 is complete.

What will be the total area of the floor space in the entire airport??

I could easily see this between 60 - 75 million passengers in the future.
I hope all the airlines and all the airports in the Gulf will be succesful!
__________________
EMIRATES AIRLINE

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:11 PM   #131
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D
 
QatPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Doha, Qatar ; La Trinidad - Baguio
Posts: 3,133
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halawala View Post
Yeah, but once the new airport opens there will be one 4800 meter runway and 40 aircraft bridges (I think)... The second runway and an additional runway are slated for the third phase.

BTW, ur signature should read 2009!
Yup I know, but a third runway? Source? Thats awesome if theres an additional! If both runways open, it can handle around 100 planes per hour.

Oh, and thanks for pointing that out, I always accidently put 2008 even at school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
wow, the airport willl have 52 gates in total on opening day, that will be like Dubai's Terminal 1 (in terms of gates)! This airport will be very busy.
In total this airport will have 91 gates in total when fully complete. That will be comparable to Dubai, which will have 90 contact gates and 28 mobile gates once Concourse 3 is complete.

What will be the total area of the floor space in the entire airport??

I could easily see this between 60 - 75 million passengers in the future.
I hope all the airlines and all the airports in the Gulf will be succesful!
The entire airport (as in whole development) or the terminal?
QatPhils no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:56 PM   #132
EmiratesAirline380
Registered User
 
EmiratesAirline380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver/Dubai
Posts: 1,993
Likes (Received): 581

The entire airport? Is it like 1 million square metres?
__________________
EMIRATES AIRLINE

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders

Last edited by EmiratesAirline380; May 3rd, 2009 at 07:06 PM.
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:22 PM   #133
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D
 
QatPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Doha, Qatar ; La Trinidad - Baguio
Posts: 3,133
Likes (Received): 11

22 hectares, though it looks bigger than that.
QatPhils no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #134
EmiratesAirline380
Registered User
 
EmiratesAirline380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver/Dubai
Posts: 1,993
Likes (Received): 581

Well actually what i mean was like the size of the entire terminal in terms of floor area, but the size of the entire airport was my next question as well.
Sorry for being a little confusing when i asked the question.
__________________
EMIRATES AIRLINE

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:46 AM   #135
Shezan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The 80s
Posts: 16,216
Likes (Received): 593

will look like the HKIA "Y"
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #136
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D
 
QatPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Doha, Qatar ; La Trinidad - Baguio
Posts: 3,133
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
Well actually what i mean was like the size of the entire terminal in terms of floor area, but the size of the entire airport was my next question as well.
Sorry for being a little confusing when i asked the question.
What i read before (last year so i don't really remember the exact) is that is around 239,000 sq2, but as i said i forgot the exact figures but around that area.
QatPhils no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #137
EmiratesAirline380
Registered User
 
EmiratesAirline380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver/Dubai
Posts: 1,993
Likes (Received): 581

Really? 239,000? Isn't that a bit small, for the total area of the airport building. Maybe thats the size of just phase 1. Because, thats very small for a large airport. DXB has a total floor area of 2,036,02
m2, and Singapore Changi has a total floor area of 1,045,020 m2. So, i'm sure thats probably not the complete size of the airport.

btw, i'm a little confused about Qatar Airways at the moment. Are they a profitable airline? Some articles say yes, but others say they will break-even in 2010, or ever later.
__________________
EMIRATES AIRLINE

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders

Last edited by EmiratesAirline380; May 6th, 2009 at 10:34 PM.
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:04 AM   #138
Halawala
Fairouzy
 
Halawala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Doha
Posts: 7,868
Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by QatPhils View Post
Yup I know, but a third runway? Source? Thats awesome if theres an additional! If both runways open, it can handle around 100 planes per hour.

Oh, and thanks for pointing that out, I always accidently put 2008 even at school.



The entire airport (as in whole development) or the terminal?
Sorry I meant to say that the second runway will be part of Phase Three, and that during opening day, only the first runway should open--BUT of course that could change, as I think both runways will be opened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
Really? 239,000? Isn't that a bit small, for the total area of the airport building. Maybe thats the size of just phase 1. Because, thats very small for a large airport. DXB has a total floor area of 2,036,02
m2, and Singapore Changi has a total floor area of 1,045,020 m2. So, i'm sure thats probably not the complete size of the airport.

btw, i'm a little confused about Qatar Airways at the moment. Are they a profitable airline? Some articles say yes, but others say they will break-even in 2010, or ever later.
Qatar Airways, according to Al-Baker stated that QR should expect profit at 2009/2010 ficial year ending May 2010 I think. It also has a chance to start a low-cost carrier within 90 days if it needed to.
__________________
@Halawala
#R4BIA #thankyouHAMAD
Halawala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #139
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店
 
siamu maharaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,189
Likes (Received): 4982

A new airline within 90 days. Are you serious?
__________________
ho ho to pa ki ho
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #140
Halawala
Fairouzy
 
Halawala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Doha
Posts: 7,868
Likes (Received): 265

Yup, Al-Baker said that he can start another low-cost carrier within 90 days if he saw it fit to do so.
__________________
@Halawala
#R4BIA #thankyouHAMAD
Halawala no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
doha, south asian hub airport

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium