search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hungary > Photography and Architecture > Fényképezés > Fényképek

Fényképek Photo corner

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: How should the Royal Palace be restored?
Pre-1686 Medieval/Rennaisance Palace 16 22.22%
Pre-1945 Neo-baroque Haussmann Palace 56 77.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:38 PM   #1
ban Bank
bohemian from Hungary

Likes (Received): 1596

Castle District - Budapest

Castle District - Budapest

Capistrano Square, Mary Magdalena Church:

Capistrano Square, Ruins Garden:

Vienna Gate:

Vienna Gate Square, Hungarian National Archive:

Mihaly Tancsics Street, Erdödy Palace:

Fortuna Street:

Andrew Hess Square, King Matthias:

Andrew Hess Square, Pope Innocent XI:

Trinity Square:

Trinity Square, statue of Pallas Athene:

Matthias Church:

Fishermen’s Bastion, King St Stephen:

ban Bank no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #2
ban Bank
bohemian from Hungary

Treasurer’s Street:

Uri Street, Andrew Hadik:

Parade Square, sedilia in the gateways (13th century):

Royal Palace:

Royal Palace, Matthias Fountain:

Royal Palace (Mythical bird, the Turul, emblem of the Magyar):

Alexander Palace (the residence of the president of Hungary):

Castle Theatre and Alexander Palace:

Coat of Arms of Hungarian crownlands:

Buda Castle Funicular:

Adam Clark Square, Funicular and Tunnel:

Ferdinand Gate, Mace Tower:

Mace Tower:

Southern Rondella, Lihegö Gate:
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #3
bubach_hlubach
hlubach bubach

Likes (Received): 161

super uradci i motivi, susjed. svaka cast

si to sam ufotkal ili si ih "posudio" ?

'Cause I can't go on (Will you still love me?)
No, I can't go on (Just say you love me)
bubach_hlubach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #4
dejan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

Very beautiful and historical!
dejan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #5
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5027

Great! And nice funicular
Old April 15th, 2006, 05:06 AM   #6
NEWWORLD

Likes (Received): 87

Wow pictures are great!!! There is no doubt that Budapest is one of the most beautiful cities in Eastern Europe, and probably in the whole europe. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming.

Отац Тадеј
NEWWORLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #7
ban Bank
bohemian from Hungary

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubach_hlubach
si to sam ufotkal ili si ih "posudio" ?

Isključivo copy/past
Old April 15th, 2006, 08:11 AM   #8
bubach_hlubach
hlubach bubach

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by ban Bank
Isključivo copy/past
Ma znam, to se ja samo malo salim

Inace, bas bi mogel malo cesce navratiti i spucati jos koju turu gradova Madzarske

'Cause I can't go on (Will you still love me?)
No, I can't go on (Just say you love me)
bubach_hlubach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #9
aerodrom

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubach_hlubach
Ma znam, to se ja samo malo salim

Inace, bas bi mogel malo cesce navratiti i spucati jos koju turu gradova Madzarske

totally agree, so please, get some camre shots bohemian from Hungary
aerodrom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #10
Ataman
Some user

Likes (Received): 0

Buda Castle

(This post contains the history not of the castle district of Buda, but the royal palace itself. Also, none of the pictures are taken by me.)

* The first royal residence on the Castle Hill was built by King Béla IV of Hungary between 1247 and 1265. However, there is little archaeological evidence, and so no one knows how it looked like

* The oldest part of the present-day palace was built in the 14th century by Prince Stephen, Duke of Slavonia, the younger brother of King Louis I of Hungary. Only the foundations remained of that Stephen's Tower (Hungarian: István-torony). The Gothic palace of King Louis I) was arranged around a narrow courtyard next to the Stephen's Tower.

* King Sigismund Luxemburg of Hungary (Hun: Luxemburgi Zsigmond,) greatly enlarged the palace. Sigismund, as a Holy Roman Emperor, needed a magnificent royal residence to express his primacy among the rulers of Europe. Buda Castle was the main residence of the Emperor, so during his long reign it became probably the largest Gothic palace of the late Middle Ages. Buda was also an important artistic centre of the International Gothic style.

* The most important part of Sigismund's palace was the northern wing, called Fresh Palace (Hun: Friss-palota). On the top floor of it there was one huge hall (70 m x 20 m) with a carved wooden ceiling and great windows and balconies looking to the city of Buda. It was called the Roman Hall. The façade of the palace was decorated with statues and coat-of-arms. The palace was first mentioned in 1437 under the name "fricz palotha"

* The construction works began in the 1410s and were largely finished in 1420s although some minor works continued until the death of Sigismund.

* The last phase of grand-scale building activity happened under King Matthias Corvinus). During the first decades of his reign the king carried on and finished the works on the Gothic palace. The Royal Chapel - with the surviving Lower Church - was probably built that time.

* After the marriage of Matthias and Beatrix of Aragon, the daughter of the king of Naples in 1476, Italian humanists, artists and craftsmen arrived at Buda. The Hungarian capital became the first centre of Renaissance north of the Alps. The king rebuilt the palace in early Renessaince style. The cour d'honneur was modernized and an Italian loggia was added. Inside the palace there were two rooms with a golden ceiling, the famous Corvina library and a passage with the frescoes of the 12 signs of the Zodiac. The façade of the palace was decorated with the statues of John Hunyadi, László Hunyadi and King Matthias. In the middle of the court there was a fountain with the statue of Pallas Athene.

* Only fragments remained of this Renaissance palace: red marble balustrads, lintels, decorative glazed tiles of stoves and floors.

* In the last years of his reign Matthias Corvinus began to build a new Renaissance palace on the eastern side of the Sigismund Courtyard, next to the Fresh Palace. The Matthias Palace remained unfinished because of the early death of the king. From written sources we know that it had a monumental red marble stairway in front of the façade. The bronze gates were decorated with panels depicting the deeds of Hercules. Matthias Corvinus was usually identified with Hercules by the humanists of his court. A great bronze statue of the Greek hero welcomed the guests in the forecourt of the palace complex where jousts were held.

* The walled gardens of the palace were laid out on the western slopes of the Castle Hill. In the middle of the enclosure a Renaissance villa was built by Matthias. Only one column survived of this so-called Aula Marmorea.

* After the death of Matthias Corvinus his successor, King Ulászló II carried on the works of the Matthias Palace, especially after his marriage with Anna of Foix-Candale in 1502

* After the Battle of Mohács the medieval Kingdom of Hungary collapsed. The Ottoman army occupied the evacuated town on 11 September 1526. Although Buda was sacked and burned, the Royal Palace wasn't damaged. Sultan Süleyman I carried away all the bronze statues (the Hunyadis, Pallas Athene and Hercules) with him to Constantinople. The statues were destroyed there in a rebellion a few years later. The Sultan also get hold of many volumes from the famous Corvina library.

* In the era between 1541 and 1686 the Habsburgs tried re-capture Buda several time. Unsuccessful sieges in 1542, 1598, 1603 and 1684 caused serious damage. The Ottoman authorities repaired only the fortifications.

* According to 17th century sources many buildings of the former Royal Palace were roofless and their vaults collapsed. Nonetheless the medieval palace by-and-large survived until the great siege of 1686.

* The medieval palace was destroyed in the great siege of 1686 when Buda was captured by the allied Christian forces. In the heavy artillery bombardment many buildings collapsed and burned out. The Stephen's Tower, used as a pulver tower by the Ottomans, exploded. According to contemporary sources, the giant explosion killed 1500 Turkish soldiers, and caused a tidal wave on the Danube that washed away standing guards and even artillery batteries on the opposite shore. It was caused by a single cannon shot by a friar called Gábor, also referred as Tüzes Gábor ie. "Gabriel Fiery".

* Habsburg military engineers made several plans and drawings about the buildings in the next decades. Although the walls mainly survived, the burned out shell was rapidly decaying because of the lack of basic maintenance. In the decade between 1702 and 1715 the Stephen's Tower totally disappeared, and the palace went beyond repair.

* In 1715 King Charles III ordered the demolition of the ruins. Johann Hölbling surveyed the still existing structures. According to the order of the king the surviving marble statues, antiquities, inscriptions and coins were spared (there is no evidence about the realization of the royal decree). The main part of the palace and the Broken Tower were totally demolished, the hollows and moats were filled, and a new flat terrace was established. Luckily the southern fortifications, zwingers and rooms were only buried under tons of rubbish and earth.

* In 1748 Count Antal Grassalkovich, President of the Hungarian Chamber appealed to the public to finish the derelict palace by means of public subscription. Palatine János Pálffy also called upon the counties and the cities to grant for the project. The moment was favourable because relations between the Hungarian nobility and the Habsburgs were exceptionally good. Hungarians supported Queen Maria Therese in the dire need of the War of the Austrian Succession. The Queen was grateful, and the new Royal Palace became the symbol of peace and friendship between the dynasty and the nation

* The palace was soon rebuilt between 1850 and 1856 by Josef Weiss and Carl Neuwirth. The 13-axis central wing was raised with a third storey and a very squat attic-tower. The central risalit was decorated with a balcony of six colossal columns. With these changes the former Viennese Baroque palace of Maria Theresa became a more austere Neoclassical Baroque building.

* In the last decades of the 19th century Budapest experienced rapid economic development. Ambitious urban planning projects were carried out to express the growing whealth and higher status of the Hungarian capital. Among these projects special attention was paid to the rebuilding of Buda Castle. The autonomous Hungarian government intended to create a royal palace that matches any famous European royal residence (especially the old rival, Vienna's Hofburg). The process of rebuilding lasted about forty years between 1875 and 1912, and caused sweeping changes in topography of the whole area.

* At first the Várkert-bazár (Royal Garden Pavilion) was built on the embankment of the Danube, at the foot of the Castle Hill, between 1875 and 1882. This splendid Neo-Renaissance gateway was designed by Miklós Ybl, the most famous Hungarian architect of the period. The structure was an open business arcade with pavilions, stairways and ramps and two blocks of flat. Ybl also built a new waterworks pumping station, called Várkert-kioszk (Royal Garden Kiosk) and two stair towers standing against the medieval cortina walls. The southern one followed French Renaissance style, resembling a small turreted castle, while the northern one was similar to a Gothic brick-donjon. Only Várkert-bazár and Várkert-kioszk survived the destruction of the 20th century of these works.

* In 1882 Prime Minister Kálmán Tisza charged Ybl with drawing a masterplan for rebuilding the palace. In his 1885 masterplan Ybl preserved the old Baroque palace but mirrored it on the western side of the cour d'honneur, doubling the size of the residence. He also planned a new carriegeway on the western hillside demolishing the medieval walls and towers of the Újvilág-kert terrace. The main problem was caused by the narrowness of the natural plateau of the Castle Hill because there wasn't enough space for the new Krisztinaváros wing (so called after the neighbouring city district). Ybl solved the problem with erecting a huge substructure that goes down to the foot of the hill. The monumental western façade sits on this windowless, three-storeys high substructure so the whole palace is making up a towering, 6+3-storeys high block almost absorbing the whole hill. On the other hand the main façade on the cour d'honneur has only the same modest height as the Baroque palace. The whole façade was clad with stone slabs while the old parts are stuccoed so the difference between the original Baroque and the Neo-Renaissance wings is obvious. The formerly open cour d'honneur became a closed court with a splendid, arched gateway guarded by the four lions of sculptor János Fadrusz. The court is called Lions Court (Oroszlános udvar).

* The works began on 1 May 1890 but Ybl died on 22 January 1891. His successor, Alajos Hauszmann only slightly modified the plans of the Krisztinaváros wing. In 1896 the building reached the level of the court and King Franz Joseph ceremoniously laid down the foundation stone of the palace that was soon completed.

* The neo-baroque palace has never as a residence of Emperor Franz Josef. It served only as a symbol of 19th century Budapest.

* The Hauszmann palace existed for only three decades. After the 1918 revolution and the dethronization of the Habsburg dynasty the Royal Palace became the seat of the new regent of the Kingdom of Hungary, Miklós Horthy.

* Buda Castle was the last major strongpoint of Budapest held by Axis forces (Germans and Hungarians) during the siege of Budapest between 29 December 1944 and 13 February 1945.

* Heavy fights and artillery fire rendered the palace once again into a heap of ruins. All the furniture disappeared, roofs and vaults collapsed and the southern and western wings burned out. The destruction was only comparable to that of the great siege of 1686.

* After the war, the exterior of the neo-baroque palace was rebuilt in a more "austere" style by the communist authorities. On the better side, the communists have restored small sections of the medieval palace (destroyed in 1686).

I am truly hoping the poor reconstruction of the neo-baroque palace will be torn down, and that the medieval/renaissance palace could one day be fully restored as it was before 1686.

-Ataman
Ataman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #11
Ataman
Some user

Some restored sections (and ruins) of the medieval palace:

-Ataman
Old March 18th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #12
kokpit
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

Thank you, I like especially those old photos.
Ahhh, those bloody communists
kokpit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #13
nike7

Likes (Received): 34

nike7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:20 AM   #14
Ataman
Some user

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokpit View Post
Thank you, I like especially those old photos.
Ahhh, those bloody communists
To tell you the truth, I would rather have the medieval palace restored than the monsterous neo-baroque Hauszmann building.

Budapest has plenty of monumental 18th and 19th century buildings, but very little before that.

VS.

-Ataman
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:20 AM   #15
nike7

Old April 1st, 2007, 03:32 AM   #16
Ataman
Some user

The last three buildings you see above have been wiped off the face of the earth because of the war. This is how the buildings look right now:

But then again, that might be a good thing, since medieval ruins have been found and excavated. Some of them might be rebuilt.

-Ataman
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #17
DrT
"The Ignorant Fool"

Likes (Received): 49

Great thread for us ignorant Americans. Many Thanks. Incredibly beautiful architecture through the ages.
DrT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #18
nike7

Old June 7th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #19
Ataman
Some user

I have a question for the Hungarian forumers: Should the pre-1686 palace be restored, or the pre-1945 palace be restored?

I am curious what opinions (and arguments) everyone else has.

-Ataman
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #20
Peti

Likes (Received): 1

I think that all the previous ones are better than the one we have now. Maybe that's because I'm kind of used to it so it's boring. I cannot choose between the gothic/renaissance and the baroque one. I like gothic/renaissance style better than baroque but I really like the Hauszman type building so it's really hard to decide.
Peti no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: