daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:06 PM   #181
Coral Builder

Likes (Received): 0

Did you see the article on the new office tower in Calgary? It also mentioned that the office vacancy rate in TO will go up to 12-13% by the time the new crop of towers are built in 2009. Thus, I find it highly unlikely that Manulife would go ahead with a huge office tower development. I can always keep my fingers crossed though... .
Either way, for a city of 2.4 million (5 million in GTA) Toronto's skyline is stellar. We should really be focusing on better designed, but shorter buildings like european cities. Large towers disconnect poeple from structures, whereas shorter buildings allow more elements of style and can thus add to the streetscape feel, which in turn makes a city a great place to live.
Oh yeah and someone really needs to figure out what to do with all the 1960-70s style short concrete block condo buildings around the core and along the Don Valley/401/427. Driving along those roads really makes one wish for a couple sticks of dynamite to lob.
Coral Builder no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:43 AM   #182
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

Yes, I read that article. It's amazing how Calgary can absorb so much new office space. It's fantastic news for them, but haven't been impressed with any of their new office towers with the exception of the Bow. You are right about Manulife also. Having one large centralized office would be beneficial to Manulife, but Manulife freeing up so much space in a move to their own building would spike the vacancy rate up significantly.

Regarding shorter buildings. Montreal does a great job proving that you don't need tall buildings to create a great looking city. On the other hand, I don't think building tall necessarily means that you sacrifice a great feel at street level or that you create a disconnect between people and building. The problem is that design often takes a back seat to the desire for height.

I wouldn't worry about a focus on tall buildings in Toronto. There is a very strong anti-height mentality at the municipal board. Toronto is one of the few places on the continent where there shouldn't be opposition to tall buildings, but it's almost a non-starter here. Reduce height or don't get approved. It is like being anti-Victorian architecture in London, or anti-skyscraper in Chicago. The tall = bad mentality here is very frustrating. What is important, is that when we do build tall that strict guidelines are met as to how these buildings meet the street. The encouragement of a high street feel at the base is imperative, as is the street grid. Height isn't the problem. That said, all buildings should focus on good design.

The concrete condo buildings you refer to aren't going away any time soon. I hate them too, but we will have to live with them for another 50 years or so.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #183
ale26

Likes (Received): 17

I agree that for a city with only 2.5 million and 5.6 million metro, Toronto has a great and big skyline. Especially when your down on King/Bay or Yonge/bloor you'd think you were in New York..I'm serious, we were down on bloor this summer with some people from Italy and they were amazed with the size of Toronto and how busy it is..it is very comparable to New York (not size wise but how busy it gets)..Especially in the past year Toronto is becoming increasingly busy and important, financially and business wise.

Toronto really needs to focus on expanding transportation and solidifying its role as an economic powerhouse in order for the city to prosper..as for Manulife, the worlds 5th largest insurance company, they should wait acouple years and then build a huge supertall that would be the envy of the world to showcase Torontos power and place in the business world. Right now all the construction going on is good and it needs to be watched carefully and should not be overdone.

I don't see a HUGE spike in vacancy rates but it is inevitable that it will increase slightly but thats normal..For now Toronto should continue to grow and prosper
ale26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #184
vancouverite/to'er

Likes (Received): 24

yes, i'm ancy about vacancy rates going up and the Manulife tower not becoming a reality because of all these abismal boxes (i.e RBC) But the density will be amazing!
lets remember though Toronto is N.A's fastest growing major city which is a plus.
vancouverite/to'er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 01:17 AM   #185
Canadian74

Likes (Received): 1

I thought Calgary was North America's fastest growing major city?
Canadian74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #186
ale26

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian74 View Post
I thought Calgary was North America's fastest growing major city?
uhh nope.
ale26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #187
velut arbor aevo

Likes (Received): 11

toronto does have a great skyline, from where I live (harbour square), toronto just appears magnificent, especially at night. However, I still prefer toronto to add more density and height.
velut arbor aevo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 01:17 AM   #188
Canadian74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ale26 View Post
uhh nope.
Can you provide a link then?
Old October 11th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #189
yyzer

Likes (Received): 42

well, I am from T.O., and while it is booming big time, I also believe that I read somewhere (Globe?) that Calgary is Canada's fastest growing city, although there are different ways to measure...by net increase in population total numbers, the GTA may be ahead, but by percentage increase, it could very well be Calgary...

Doesn't really matter though, it's a great time for both cities and that's what is important, imo.

yyzer
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #190
Coral Builder

I abslutely love the Bow building in Calgary, we don't get updates often enough on it though. Any posters out there want to elaborate on it's development?? What of the other large oil companies in Calgary, any planning complimentary towers to fill the glut of demand, or is it too expensive to build anything around Calgary these days?
Old October 11th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #191
Canadian74

Some of the major ones in Calgary are the Bow, Penny Lane, Jamienson (sp?) and a few others I forgot. Check the Calgary Construction Thread on SSP. There are rumours that Imperial Oil might build a 300m+.
Old October 12th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #192
vancouverite/to'er

Quote:
Some of the major ones in Calgary are the Bow, Penny Lane, Jamienson (sp?) and a few others I forgot. Check the Calgary Construction Thread on SSP. There are rumours that Imperial Oil might build a 300m+.
Really? What's your source? A supertall in Calgary would be phenomenal
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #193
Coral Builder

No way, they'd have to convince evil ExxonMobil to stop penny pinching on everything. Sorry, I get a little carried away with Imperial (can't stand their business practices, though I guess it's good to be an EXX shareholder). I guess I was hoping the likes of Suncor, CNRQ, Penn West etc.. would want to build some kind of monument to their success. Any way you get it, a 300 + would be awesome for Calgary. Go Flames
Old October 13th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #194
vancouverite/to'er

If you we can always create a thread in the Canada section about general growth of cities. Back to 1 Bloor. Any thoughts? I'm beginning to think the latest tower is the best becuase it makes the most sense financially and thus would have a higher chance of becoming a supertall. I love the base on the second rendering. Too bad they couldn't have kept those sexy slanted pillars.
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #195
Canadian74

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverite/to'er View Post
As I said, only rumours at this time.
Old October 18th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #196
Canadian74

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverite/to'er View Post
Even the Bow was suppose to be over 300m, but because of the shawdow people, it got down to 247m, then 236m.
Old October 18th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #197
vancouverite/to'er

Quote:
Even the Bow was suppose to be over 300m, but because of the shawdow people, it got down to 247m, then 236m.
Well, thats because they were afraid of the Bow River getting shadowed. That said I believe it's possible to build a supertall in Calgary if it dosen't shadow the Bow River.
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #198
Canadian74

Imperial Oil!
Heard before that their location won't cause problems with the shawdow guys...
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #199
caltrane74

Likes (Received): 71

let's go Calgary!
caltrane74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #200
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
That sucks . Not including the CN Tower of course, it's weird to think that Canada doesn't have a supertall.
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, number one bloor, one bloor east, toronto