daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #801
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6854

I prefer One Bloor as well. I find it more sleek and elegant along with better street activation and podium design.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2016, 01:50 AM   #802
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

From the Burlington Skyway:

Toronto by Marcus Mitanis, on Flickr

Jos998 liked this post
Marcanadian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 12:19 AM   #803
linum

Likes (Received): 658

that's a mighty fine camera you have...... that's quite the distance.......
linum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 12:22 AM   #804
linum

Likes (Received): 658

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilio View Post
Well yeah... it has yet to add all the frosted balcony glass which will completely transform the tower. I take you're from Australia?
I love Australia and I love Aussies but why is it always the Australians who come in here with the whole "I was there...was boring and lame and or generic". 90% of the time...it's an Australian!! I'm sure it's just coincidence but man Im getting so bored of Australians on this forum lol, any other nationality and and its all positive comments, then an Aussie walks in and well... que the inferiority complex based comments.
I lived in Toronto for 2 years - I feel I can make valid comments on the city as I called it home. If another person's honesty or opinion bothers you - well..... whatever.....

ChesterCopperpot liked this post
linum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 01:10 AM   #805
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

Refined in what way?
Old February 24th, 2016, 01:48 AM   #806
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by linum View Post
I lived in Toronto for 2 years - I feel I can make valid comments on the city as I called it home. If another person's honesty or opinion bothers you - well..... whatever.....
Whether you've lived some place or not has no bearing on whether or not a comment is valid (accurate). We might expect a person would be more likely to say someone accurate about a topic they're more educated or experienced in, but their statements must still be judged on their own merits. If someone says 2+2=5, if they're worked 10 years as a math teacher that it still wouldn't be true.

The issue here is people are questioning whether the comments really are honest. It gives people the impression that the comments are intended to belittle rather than to convey honest information. In several of your other posts you called it a "great city" yet the only characteristics and traits you mention are negative? For city that you actually considered to be a great place, the vast majority of it's attributes will be positive. If it's good but not great, then the good will marginally outweigh the bad. If it's just ok or mediocre, the good and bad will be equal, but if the majority of it's traits are negative, that is the complete opposite of great. Definitely not what I'd call honestly.

I know people often think they can get away with saying anything by masking it with a compliment or by claiming they're just being honest and "keepin' it real", but there comes a point when you just have to call BS. Personally I don't particularly care whether or not you like it (or anything else for that matter) but you can't expect a free pass to say anything you want in a public discussion space without anyone challenging it.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo

isaidso liked this post
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 01:57 AM   #807
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 305

In terms of the actual building, I can't say I care for it personally. But I think that's more down to the overall concept than the specific design or execution. It seems like it's intended to be modern, elegant, and understated, but in that setting I find the concept underwhelming. I really want something more bold and with visual heft rather than something so sleek, glassy and slender.

But perhaps it'll grow on me once it's completed.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 08:25 PM   #808
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

The curved glass and undulating ripple effect is one of the nicer designs to come along in quite some time. I do like this building but it doesn't have that wow factor the proposal across the street promises to have.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 04:06 PM   #809
Arkitexture

Likes (Received): 2425

One Bloor East
by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr

One Bloor East
by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr
Old March 6th, 2016, 06:10 PM   #810
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Just incredible.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 05:57 AM   #811
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

Tuesday:

Chester Hill Lookout by Marcus Mitanis, on Flickr

Old March 19th, 2016, 11:02 PM   #812
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13220

@oneeast_wolf
potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 05:32 AM   #813
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Looking north up Yonge #toronto #yongestreet #condos #skyscrapers by Randy McDonald, on Flickr
Old March 21st, 2016, 12:39 PM   #814
Jos998

Likes (Received): 287

so close to the street!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jos998 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 04:10 PM   #815
Toronto_41

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Whether you've lived some place or not has no bearing on whether or not a comment is valid (accurate). We might expect a person would be more likely to say someone accurate about a topic they're more educated or experienced in, but their statements must still be judged on their own merits. If someone says 2+2=5, if they're worked 10 years as a math teacher that it still wouldn't be true.

The issue here is people are questioning whether the comments really are honest. It gives people the impression that the comments are intended to belittle rather than to convey honest information. In several of your other posts you called it a "great city" yet the only characteristics and traits you mention are negative? For city that you actually considered to be a great place, the vast majority of it's attributes will be positive. If it's good but not great, then the good will marginally outweigh the bad. If it's just ok or mediocre, the good and bad will be equal, but if the majority of it's traits are negative, that is the complete opposite of great. Definitely not what I'd call honestly.

I know people often think they can get away with saying anything by masking it with a compliment or by claiming they're just being honest and "keepin' it real", but there comes a point when you just have to call BS. Personally I don't particularly care whether or not you like it (or anything else for that matter) but you can't expect a free pass to say anything you want in a public discussion space without anyone challenging it.
I think that someone offering an opinion is entitled to their opinion whether or not you agree with it. At least he can offer one that represents his time he spent here and he spent more than some vacation time in the city. You can offer a differing opinion to offset what he wrote based on your own expériences but not everyone see's it the same way.

Think of the many people who live in Toronto on here who certainly point out the "crappy architecture" and wish the city was more like NY or Chicago or where ever. Toronto is Toronto and it is not NY or Chicago or any other city in the world. It is unique and it offers its own qualities that make it Toronto.

Asia, here I come!!!
J.

Toronto_41 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 10:47 PM   #816
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

If your giant sky scraping tower construction project doesn't make people freeze in the streets below and gawk up at it in wonder, then you're doing it wrong. #Architecture #Toronto #Bloor #Yonge #YongeStreet #YongeAndBloor by PJ Stephen, on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 11:02 PM   #817
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos998 View Post
so close to the street!
North American cities typically have a street grid and real estate is expensive in places like downtown Toronto. It dictates that one use the lot you have wisely. Building close to the lot line does create wind tunnel issues but creates quite an impressive street wall.

You see a similar effect in Manhattan, Chicago, Philadelphia, Calgary, and even Ottawa.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Old March 23rd, 2016, 02:58 AM   #818
Highway 401
Ukraine - Israel - Canada

Likes (Received): 1376

Today

Old March 23rd, 2016, 05:30 AM   #819
isaidso
the new republic

The Mink Mile will be a very impressive strip when they finish building it.

Old March 23rd, 2016, 03:39 PM   #820
podciag

Likes (Received): 307

that is a lovely design, one of the better newly built skyscrapers in my opinion.

podciag no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, number one bloor, one bloor east, toronto