daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #101
valantino
The Greatest

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Omg, its going to take around four years to complete unfortunately and it's only 223 metres.

The 223m is the height of the previous 60 storey tower approved for the site. This one most likely will be much taller. All we know is that they do not want to re-submit a new development proposal however that doesn't rule out the committee of adjustments which recently gave Bloor Street Neighbourhood to the south a 'minor' height increase equivilant to 120m on One Bloor. The city has designated this area for tall towers - the sky's the limit

Last edited by valantino; July 15th, 2007 at 10:32 PM.
valantino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #102
vancouverite/to'er

Likes (Received): 24

I still think it should be 250 m+, has eternal darkness made Times Square unnapealing, no..
vancouverite/to'er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #103
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikkyD View Post
no.... This intersection needs some buildings, I'll grant you that, but even 1 Bloor East is far too tall. look at Yonge street in this part of Toronto, its covered in 2-3 story buildings, and then all of a sudden a 223 Meter tower pops up? its too big! and doesn't fit in with any of the surrounding buildings. Plus if it does go up, that intersection will be eternally dark, covered in shadows, which makes it a very unappealing place to be.

The reason the financial district can handle so many high-rise buildings is because no one spends any time (other than work hours) in that neighborhood! when people are spending leisure time in a neighborhood they enjoy street life, and HUMAN-SCALE projects, which is why walking along Bloor in the annex is always crowded, same with Queen street west, and even Yorkville. because people feel more comfortable around smaller buildings.

1 Bloor east should not go on.

and thats my 2 cents..
Those 2-3 story buildings are out of place. Embarrassingly ghetto, dinky crap architecture like that has no place in a central city. I don't think building heights at Bloor and Yonge should be decided upon based on these tiny buildings. Tall buildings do not make people want to be somewhere else in their spare time. It is how the buildings meet the street, and the vibrancy at street level that determines that. No one hangs out in the financial district because there is nothing to do there, not because the buildings are tall.

Walking around Manhattan, you are in a shadow all the time. It never once made me want to seek out a low rise neighbourhood. It is the pace of life on the street that matters. 1 Bloor East could be 350 metres with a plethora of 200 metre plus towers in every direction. If people want direct sunlight, go to the Annex, or Barrie.

Last edited by isaidso; August 13th, 2007 at 06:06 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 04:19 AM   #104
The 'Sauga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikkyD View Post
no.... This intersection needs some buildings, I'll grant you that, but even 1 Bloor East is far too tall. look at Yonge street in this part of Toronto, its covered in 2-3 story buildings, and then all of a sudden a 223 Meter tower pops up? its too big! and doesn't fit in with any of the surrounding buildings. Plus if it does go up, that intersection will be eternally dark, covered in shadows, which makes it a very unappealing place to be.

The reason the financial district can handle so many high-rise buildings is because no one spends any time (other than work hours) in that neighborhood! when people are spending leisure time in a neighborhood they enjoy street life, and HUMAN-SCALE projects, which is why walking along Bloor in the annex is always crowded, same with Queen street west, and even Yorkville. because people feel more comfortable around smaller buildings.

1 Bloor east should not go on.

and thats my 2 cents..
If that's your opinion then I'm fine with that but I'm also entitled to disagree with it. Sorry but I don't see why this tower would be out of place at all being at Yonge/Bloor. It is one of Toronto's most busiest and most important intersections being where the two main subway lines meet. It's a perfect spot for a supertall highrise with public transportation and downtown life being so convenient. There's also already two 450 ft-ish buildings there and the 500 ft. manulife building just a stones throw away.

That entire midtown area is also going through a huge development boom which is going to add the Four Seasons project, the Uptown, Crystal Blu, CASA, X-Condo, Couture, etc. all being between the 400-600+ ft. range. If anything, that intersection should strive for something even taller, considering it being located at such an important intersection.

Towers this huge can also be inviting as long as the retail spaces along the podium are executed nicely and have inviting and exciting retail, which unfortunately has yet to happen for most of Toronto's condo projects. However, retail does seem to be a huge priority for One Bloor East which should definitely be a huge boost over what is there right now
The 'Sauga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #105
Zaki
Joi Bangla

Why did they have to redesign this one, I was really looking forward to it :P
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #106
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

How many redesigns has this one had since I first read about it in 2001?

The new one looks good, but preferred the sleek renders on page 1.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #107
isaidso
the new republic

Yes, I much preferred the first render on page 1 also. The new tower is just ok. It would be satisfactory on a side street, but not Bloor and Yonge.
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #108
valantino
The Greatest

Quote:
Walking around Manhattan, you are in a shadow all the time.
you obviously haven't walked around too much and you're definitely missing out on most of the fun
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #109
isaidso
the new republic

No, I've walked around lots of it, but the parts that seem in constant shadow don't bother me in the slightest. I actually relished the feeling of walking at the foot of concrete giants. I find it very re-assuring. What I will never feel comfortable with, is being underwhelmed. Bloor and Yonge is certainly very underwhelming to me.

As far as missing out on most of the fun, that is something I have never ever even remotely been implicated in. If anything, I've found the need to reel myself in, stay out of trouble, and settle for something abit more mundane from time to time (like Bloor and Yonge).

Perhaps it is you who is missing out on most of the fun. The decadent fun happens in a gallery, a restaurant, a warehouse, or abandoned church turned house of debauchery. Sun tanning? I'll save that for some white sandy beach in France.

Last edited by isaidso; August 8th, 2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #110
vancouverite/to'er

Could the "confirmed" height of 236 m possibly change?
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #111
caltrane74

Likes (Received): 71

demolition of the existing buildings on the site begins shortly. Maybe next month or October??

cool!!
caltrane74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #112
Jackhammer
The Adjuster

Likes (Received): 0

Re-post from the Toronto section

New condo guide has an ad:

Building is to be 80 floors (22 for hotel and retail and 58 residential) and is promoted as the tallest residential building in Canada.

Demolition of the site is to begin in the fall.

I wonder if it will now be taller than Trump? I suppose you could advertise it as the tallest residential building in Canada (even if shorter than Trump) since it will be taller than anything already constructed.

or

60 floors at 223 approved = 3.71m / floor so 80 floors = 297 m. Would certainly be the tallest residential building while still being 1 m short of the tallest building. Then again ... add the mechanical/roof element ... Supertall ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From urbandreamer at UT:

re: porcelain cladding

http://www.aecinfo.com/1/resourcefil.../26/pgspec.htm

A local company from Georgetown!

What it looks like:
http://www.trico-ve.co.uk/panels

http://www.architectureweek.com/2001...mage_9.150.jpg
Jackhammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #113
ale26

Likes (Received): 17

I'm just sooo excited about this building..but its so true..Torontonians are becoming very spoiled and picky about there buildings because there's sooo much construction going on!..We have to accept the fact that buildings play a purpose...not only to be asthetically appealing and be cheap and not built properly.. I think this building is just fine and very impressive!

By the way this will add great excitement and more bustle to that intersection..which is already very very busy...I don't think it's sinking in but Toronto is becoming a major city..and fast.. I remember 10 years ago ( not even ) when the streets after 5 were dead and there was no life in Toronto..but recently its been soooo busy! Especially..the bloor corridor, Y&D square, the harbourfront...its insane! We're quickly becoming the New York of Canada!!

I hope this trend continues and people are drawn to Toronto for its big city feel and hustle and bustle..plus beeing fun and exciting!

This is a new era for Toronto..REJOICE !
ale26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #114
caltrane74

Likes (Received): 71

Very True - ale!
caltrane74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #115
vancouverite/to'er

I wouldn't be suprised if it becomes a supertall in the end- did you hear Baziz will pay 1 million to Toronto public schools to have it built? It will truly be a beautiful landmark of the Bloor corridor that people around the world will recignize-opening more opportunities for further redevelopment of the area!!
-how can the city resist?
Also the ceiling height will have to change to appeal to the target market meaning since its approved at 80 stories could very well be Toronto's tallest building!!!
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #116
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

true Trump is starting next month and we are all like "its only in-fill now".

lol
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #117
Zaki
Joi Bangla

80 stories tall Thats incredible news. Hopefully these things actually go through and not get stalled like the ones before.
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #118
ToRoNto, g-town

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
Re-post from the Toronto section

From urbandreamer at UT:

re: porcelain cladding

http://www.aecinfo.com/1/resourcefil.../26/pgspec.htm

A local company from Georgetown!

What it looks like:
http://www.trico-ve.co.uk/panels

http://www.architectureweek.com/2001...mage_9.150.jpg

i see that a local company from my town is doing the caldding (Y) kind of shocking since a company from a rather small town is doing cladding for a huge building in a huge city (Y)
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #119
vancouverite/to'er

I wonder how tall the Baziz Toronto Landmark project will be and where it will be located...
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #120
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

I'll be attacked but... let's move the Landmark project to the Portlands... in the emerging great/wacky/don't care what you think architectural lab.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, number one bloor, one bloor east, toronto