daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 19th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #421
sekelsenmat

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
it still part of the are of that useless pass.

I don't see why Interrail passes should keep existing anyway.
Suburbanist strikes again. You come to these forums just to annoy rail-fans or is it just a byproduct of your attempt to spam the message that radical neoliberalism is the only economic model for anything in the world?

My blog about trains, politics and urbanism.
sekelsenmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #422
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
You can use the ferry from Stockholm to Turku using the pass. Also the pass is not useless as thousands of people if not millions use it every year. It is so easy and having the freedom to use any train (well almost any) is a good travelling experience. Unfortunately it doesn't fit into your ideals of everyone knowing what they are doing well in advance and purchasing a ticket that ties them to a schedule.
Interrail can also be used on ferries to Greece from Bari (Italy), to the extent of my knowledge.

As for the availability of trains on Interrail, it depends on the country, actually. International trains like Thalys and Eurostar have hefty surcharges and (in the case of Thalys) limited availability for passholders per train.

In France, there is now a 2-tier reservation fee for TGVs with limited availability per trains also. In Spain extra fees are required on high-speed trains also and, in Italy, they are compulsory in all but regional services.

So it is the case that, usually, one can get cheaper fares carefully shopping, in advance, for the tickets one wants. But as for the existence of the pass, as long as no governments' subsidy is used to cover eventual losses on the Interrail scheme, that would be fine. It is now sufficient expensive so I don't think they make a loss in most countries, maybe in places like Germany with lower reservation fees and an expensive-to-keep rail system. There is no "right to backpack for cheap", many European youths of the past felt over-entitled to things like a rail pass you could buy with a week's summer job salary.
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #423
rrustema

Likes (Received): 5

This is my favourite thread on the forum. Thanks to anyone who uploaded pictures so far. I am interested to see what is the current situation between Athens and Patras. Could anyone write a few lines or perhaps post pictures?

I am especially interested if the works have stopped or if they continue because it the contractor is obliged to do so. Thanks!
rrustema no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #424
rrustema

Athens - Patras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaros View Post
Athens - Patras new railway line
1) Kiato - Aegion (71 Km) is under construction and it will be ready in 2010.The cost of the project is 578 million €

2) Aegion - Patras (41 Km) will be ready in 2013.The cost of the project is 423 million €

The electrification of the section Athens-Corinth-Kiato will be ready in 2009 while the rest part (untill Patras) will be ready in 2013.
I am mostly interested about this part. Is the project on hold or still progressing? Is Aegion reached already for example? Electrified or not.
Old May 12th, 2011, 03:51 AM   #425
arnau_Vic

Likes (Received): 39

go Greece!!
arnau_Vic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 03:02 PM   #426
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17039

Is Rail fanning / Train Spotting illegal in Greece?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:08 AM   #427
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

So what exactly is going to happen to the Greek railway system given the events of the past years and months?
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:32 PM   #428
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Severe cuts have already begun - for example, all international passenger trains have been discontinued. Just look back through this thread for the details.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #429
Eagleg

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrustema View Post
I am mostly interested about this part. Is the project on hold or still progressing? Is Aegion reached already for example? Electrified or not.
The modernisation of the line and electrification has reached Kiato. Works for the modernisation of the line until Aegion are expected to be complete by 2014. Electrification of the line from Kiato to Aegion will follow. Hopefully, works on the remaining part to the city of Patra will be considered soon as the modernisation of this will upgrade immensely the role of train.
Eagleg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #430
rrustema

Quote:
Hopefully, works on the remaining part to the city of Patra will be considered soon
If I understand correctly the last 40km of this line is not yet commissioned? It is budgetted and engineered on paper at least, I assume?
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #431
fisherboy

Likes (Received): 3

Hello everyone!

You have heard about the construction of the 4-track corridor between Athens and SKA (Acharnes junction). As you may know, the works between Athens central station and Tris Gefires (three bridges if you translate it literally!) have stopped and due to legislation it will take at least three years for the construction works to start again...

...on the other hand the section Tris Gefires-Agioi Anargiroi-SKA is being quickly constructed.

Below you can see some recent pictures from the works that I posted in the forum of www.amnizia.com.

This is Pirgos Vasilissis new station in Agioi Anargiroi, on the north end of the new tunnel. Picture taken mid-July.

The photo was taken from the same point as the photo above, now we look towards SKA. Here you can see an AEG DMU-4, it's headed to Athens from Lianokladi as train 3521.

Here is a picture from the new station Likotripa, between SKA and Pirgos Vasilissis. The picture was taken mid-July also.

Here is the new Agioi Anargiroi station. Photo taken from a bridge near the station.

Photos from the platform.

The four last pictures from Agioi Anargiroi were taken a week ago. All of them are headed north except for the last photo which looks south, towards Athens.

Last edited by fisherboy; August 10th, 2011 at 10:47 PM.
fisherboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #432
inhalealook

Likes (Received): 0

A video of the "new look" on some of the Desiro EMUs, the "Blue Desiro", a specially liveried unit, advertising TRAINOSE, the operator of railways in Greece. It departs from Kiato to Athens airport.
Video by user panagos89.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve99-...eature=related

Last edited by inhalealook; September 17th, 2011 at 06:13 PM.
inhalealook no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #433
rrustema

No KTEL going to Kaito trainstation

That is very nice, but how to go to Kaito trainstation, in the middle of nowhere? Not with public transport. KTEL buses do not bring passengers to their competitor of course. Only if you know someone who can bring you by car or if you are willing to take a taxi... There is no town centre within walking distance.

KTEL should be required by law to set up their bus-stations next to trainstations.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:11 AM   #434
RelaxInPireaus

is it new Desiro or just new style? finally no graffiti
RelaxInPireaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #435
inhalealook

@RelaxInPireus: It's one of the existing trains, it just has a new "skin", or livery, an external "decoration" with a membrane of sorts, advertising the new reduced ticket prices on the Athens-Thessaloniki line, even down to 9 Euros in some special occasions, when the passenger buys the ticket early (and only via Internet).
inhalealook no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #436
Bel Ludovic

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelaxInPireaus View Post
is it new Desiro or just new style? finally no graffiti
I saw this train when I was in Athens a few days ago and thought the livery looked really smart. Unfortunately, however, I have to report that one end of the train did appear to have graffiti all over it, already. OSE seem either unwilling or unable to adequately protect their train depots.
Bel Ludovic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 07:34 PM   #437
imaginas
www.luz.gr

Likes (Received): 179

Raillway Station "Paradisia" at Peloponisos.Is a station of a metric line (SPAP) in Arcadia.The line is new after the renovation with cost 80.000.000 euros,but no run trains in this becouse the Greek Goverments decided to stop all the trains in Peloponisos except the part Korinthos-Kiato by the new narrow gauge line.

The metric gauge line is the most beautifull train route in Greece...

Old December 4th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #438
imaginas
www.luz.gr

Likes (Received): 179

The Station of Chalkis.A small town 80km away from Athens.A destination for daily trip with train.

Old December 14th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #439
moskos

This is all so sad. I have such fond memories of circling the Peloponnese by train (including one night on the sleeper from Kalamata to Athens in 1992).

Once they're gone, trains rarely come back. Greek trains were such a nice way to travel. I never even minded waiting for late trains. The stations were pleasant places to linger and drink wine. And on the trains you could open the windows and buy things at stations along the way. Yes, it was like a trip back in time. Was that so wrong? A beautiful, romantic (and inexpensive) trip through an amazing country.

A friend once asked me, "why don't you take the bus like a normal person?" That always struck me as strange. I never could figure out why I would would want to pay more to sit on a horrible bus for 3 hours (and end up at a bus station) when I could enjoy 5 pleasant hours on a train.

Killing the train is really tragic considering so much money was recently pumped into Greek trains. I mean, they upgraded the tracks in the Peloponnese and then stopped all trains?! What was so wrong with the old system? It worked well enough. And the "new" rolling stock was never as nice to ride on. It was simply "modern." And now there's no train at all? Not even to Patras?!

But here's my question maybe somebody could answer. Had massive EU money never been invested in the trains over the past decade or so, do you think they'd still be running? I know OSE never turned a profit, but could they have continued to limp along like they had for all those years? It wasn't like Greece was ever rich, and somehow OSE survived. Did the massive investment kill OSE by making it so much more expensive to maintain and operate?
moskos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #440
zaguric2
Hrvatsko Zagorje

Likes (Received): 137

Good,very good...
zaguric2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote