daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old March 25th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #1
Matt M

Likes (Received): 0

Rubery- where does it begin?

I've often wondered where exactly Rubery starts. I know the cinema complex near the end of the Bristol Road is often called Rubery Great Park and the flats in Cock Hill Lane (not the most attractive in Birmingham, no offence to anyone who lives there!) are said to be in Rubery, but the village itself is across the boundary in Worcestershire. Is the estate off the Bristol Road opposite the Great Park "officially" Rubery or is it Rednal? When Birmingham expanded mnay years ago it seems strange that it possibly took a small part of Rubery, as it seems that the area which remained in Worcestershire was actually within a different parish and district.

Rubery seems a pleasant village when I've visited, it is very different in character to Birmingham suburbs and feels semi-rural. Its residential areas are also quite different to the surrounding Birmingham areas like Rednal. I ntoied in a old thread that people in Rubery have "Rubery, Rednal, Birmingham" as their postal address. Could this be because there is a sorting office in Rednal?
Matt M no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 25th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #2
Bachy Soletanche

Likes (Received): 1307

I once heard a (nonBirmingham) friend of mine read the name off the front of a Bus as "Rubbery", oh how we laughed. etc etc.
Old March 25th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #3
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 291

Rubery is almost entirely a suburb of Brum having an 0121 code, a B postcode and no urban gap between it and Longbridge. The only aspect of it not being part of Brum is its councillors (sic) have to report to Bromsgrove.

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #4
Markb03

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
Rubery is almost entirely a suburb of Brum having an 0121 code, a B postcode and no urban gap between it and Longbridge. The only aspect of it not being part of Brum is its councillors (sic) have to report to Bromsgrove.
Postcode means nothing

Tamworth has a B postcode.
Markb03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #5
Sonny97

I moved to Rubery only a couple of months ago. My kind neighbours, who have lived there for almost 20 years, told me that not so long ago all of Rubery was part of Bromsgrove district council, and that their council tax and refuse collection was carried out by either BDC or Hereford & Worcester.

But my neighbour added that in the last boundary change some parts of Rubery moved into Birmingham, while Rubery Village on the other side of the A38 flyover is still part of Worcester.

This was confirmed when we tried to register with a local gp for the area. We tried one on the High Street but was informed that because we live in Rubery Lane (part of Birmingham) they couldn't help because they were under Bromsgrove!

Moreover, my new Council Tax book is for Birmingham, and my councillor(s) are Keith & Sue Barton (Longbridge Ward). And yet we do get newsletters from Bromsgrove DC along with free Bromsgrove newspapers and circulars.

Our neighbour also advised us that should we want to use the local tip (in Bromsgrove), that - if asked - we should say we live in Windmill Avenue and not Rubery Lane, otherwise we will be turned away because we live in Birmingham!

Overall though its a nice area, apart from Cock Hill. But there's the proposed £50m Egghill Development just about to kickstart into action, coupled of course with the Longbridge tech park & village over at the old Rover works. And David Wilson Homes has just completed a couple of acres worth of new homes opposite us with prices between £150 and £400k! So there's plenty going on.

But as for where Rubery starts and ends well I still haven't got a clue: sometimes we get mixed in with Longbridge, Frankley, Bromsgrove, or Rednal on our incoming post.

But our neighbour did conclude by saying that he felt things have gone down hill slightly since BCC took over and hopes that if the boundaries are changed again that all of Rubery will end up back in Bromsgrove!
Sonny97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #6
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 9

as I understand the boundaries were changed many years ago in this area due to Conservative party guidelines, this supposedly reduced certain traditional Labour areas such as the south Brum suburbs with parts of places like Rubery suddenly falling into north Worcestershire (Bromsgrove) which were traditionally Conservative, this is what I have been told by a few Bromsgrovians... by the way, anyone living in the Brum side of Rubery should thank their lucky stars, I know people who live in Bromsgrove and the council are even more backward thinking than Hereford by all accounts, there are some big reforms taking place I believe in Bromsgrove with regards to the council as they just seem to have been neglecting the area there for some time, I believe it is great to live in and commute out to other places but the shops are awful, it is below average town centre which is surprising considering it is a fairly affluent area.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #7
Mr Glide
He glides like a bird

Likes (Received): 1

All of the Frankley Estate was taken into B'ham under the boundary revisions of 1995. Before then, it was split between Bromsgrove and B'ham, the majority of the estate coming under Bromsgrove. However, all the properties (those not privately owned) were maintained by B'ham Housing Dept, and the remaining services - refuse, street cleaning etc, came under Bromsgrove DC. I understand one the main driving factors for bringing Frankley into B'ham in it's entirety, was because the estate was also split between West Mids and West Mercia police forces. At the time, this was not a workable situation in terms of conistency of police resources.
However, the rest of Rubery i.e the area bounded by Callowbrook Lane, Rubery Lane, Whetty Lane, Leach Heath Lane, New Road, Valley Farm Drive and extending towards the Lickey Beacon, was kept under Bromsgrove DC, due to protests from residents; the story goes that they claimed it unfair that, once in B'ham, they would be subsidising the 4 year old loss making ICC through their new council tax bills!!

Matt M, you are correct - there is a sorting office in Rednal on Leach Green Lane, just round the corner from where I live.
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #8
Sonny97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kinoke View Post
I believe it is great to live in and commute out to other places but the shops are awful, it is below average town centre which is surprising considering it is a fairly affluent area.
it has to be said the High Street in Rubery (New Road, adjacent to the A38 flyover), is very much a sorry state of affairs. The shops are not particularly attractive or diverse. I don't think there's even a bank anyway along that stretch or road.

It's also slightly chavvy in places with an additional over representation of pubs in the area (7 or 8!).

But there is a Morrisons supermarket in the Great Park area of Rubery, which is a far more attractive proposition than anything found on the High Street. It's just a shame BDC don't inject some much belated cash in order to regenerate that particular area as its looking more like a blot on a fairly decent landscape
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #9
Matt M

I quite like Rubery High Street, or New Road, as it is called. It seems to have a village character which sets it apart from many Brum suburbs. I think Rubery would be better off in Bromsgrove myself because of its more semi-rural character. I've also heard of a village called Hollywood, near Kings Norton, that is in Bromsgrove District, but like Rubery is a built-up area with many modern houses.

It seems strange, though, how part of the Frankley Estate was in Bromsgrove, it surely would have made more sense to incorporate it all into Birmingham when it was built as it is of course a Birmingham estate. It also seems that Rubery is the kind of area where no-one knows its true boundaries. Some people call the western part of the Frankley Estate "Gannow Green" and say that this part is actually Rubery.
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #10
Mr Glide
He glides like a bird

Frankley was originally designed as an 'overspill' town in the mid seventies, in the same way that the Kitwell estate was. Incidentally, 1995 also saw this area bounded by Bartley Green on one side and Frankley Reservoir on the other, brought into Brum and out of Bromsgrove control. (For anyone not sure, Kitwell is the built up area behind Frankley Services, and next to the big leccy sub station)
You know, afer 10pm, talking of shops, I have to drive to Barnt Green or Lickey End Tesco Express to get fags and milk, as there is nothing open in Rednal. What a hoot eh? We live within the big city boundary, and yet I have to rely on a couple of nearby villages for my essentials (like, er, fags and milk)
Other than that, it's a 2 mile jaunt to Northfield Garage for the rip off stuff!!
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #11
Sonny97

just out of interest, are there any decent pubs in Rubery? There's a pub about 800mtrs up the road from me called The Cock Inn, but neighbours reckon its a bit "dodgy".
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #12
Mr Glide
He glides like a bird

no

next question?
Old March 28th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #13
Mr Glide
He glides like a bird

Ok, that's a bit harsh...

Let's see;

Cock Inn: not too bad to be fair - still known for it's past reputation, but shaking it off gradually with surprising success.

Lickey Banker: no thanx! Typical 'Estate' pub - think of 'The Rocket' in Shameless

The Coldstream: another 'Estate' pub with a dodgy past, but improved now; serves 2 ales if you're a real ale buff; Barnsley Bitter and Old Tom Mild

Toby Jug: yet another pit from the past; reopened about 3 years ago, but don't know about it's current form.

Rose and Crown: shit hole on New Road opposite Kwik Save - says it all really.
Provides a useful function for the police, as they don't have to travel far to pick up the less gentrified of the Cock Hill area.

Rubery Social Club: smokey joint for the retired working class; it's a town centre social club for god's sake.

British Legion: Available for weddings, parties etc etc

Outside Inn and Chargrill restuarant (Great Park): Epitomises all that is wrong with chain pubs in the UK today - identikit blandness with faux 'home cooking' to entice the families when everywhere else is fully booked on Mothers Day.

The Dingle Social Club: not the same as the Dingle pub up the road, but I have no particular desire to find out in person quite frankly (Frankly, geddit?)
Large Armco barrier in front of main doors, to avoid a repeat of someone with obvious grudge issues driving a car through them.

Chiquito's/Frankie and Benny's (Great Park): been to one, been to them all - and situated next to a cinema, surprisingly.

Hawthornes Social Club (Rednal Mill Drive): I think the more desirable of the local social club scene due to it's placement in the better half of residential Rubery/Rednal.

The Coppice (Edgewood Road): Not a bad place, but not particularly exciting either. The atmosphere is a little strange; not in an agressive way, but not helped by the fact that every light fitting, and there a few, each have a 100watt bulb burning at full brightness. It's like drinking in very bright sunlight, but indoors. Perhaps the locals have tunnel vision; I would rather drink in one - at least the gloom wouldn't hurt my eyes.

Old Hare and Hounds (Lickey Road): An M&B owned Ember Inn who also own the Selly Park Tavern and Country Girl, amongst others. A truly wonderful experience, warm atmosphere, friendly staff, wonderful beer, and it's my local.
On the other hand, however, enjoy crap service on a weekend as the bar piles up 3 or 4 deep. After 20 mins of waving a score (no, really) and losing the will to live, get served by one of the 3 halfwits who decided to turn up for work that evening, pay a wallet emptying £3 for a bottle of Bud, then it is standing room only until 12.30pm. Stick to the mid week. Oh, and there's quiz night every Sunday.

That's about all that I can think of right now. Enjoy!

Last edited by Mr Glide; March 28th, 2007 at 01:14 AM.
Mr Glide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #14
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny97 View Post
But there is a Morrisons supermarket in the Great Park area of Rubery, which is a far more attractive proposition than anything found on the High Street. It's just a shame BDC don't inject some much belated cash in order to regenerate that particular area as its looking more like a blot on a fairly decent landscape
I think you'll find that is in Birmingham - the sign says "Welcome" just before the turn. Therefore the Morrisons is indeed Longbridge. There, I've just defined Rubery's border!!!

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #15
Sonny97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Glide View Post
Ok, that's a bit harsh...

Let's see;

Cock Inn: not too bad to be fair - still known for it's past reputation, but shaking it off gradually with surprising success.

Lickey Banker: no thanx! Typical 'Estate' pub - think of 'The Rocket' in Shameless

The Coldstream: another 'Estate' pub with a dodgy past, but improved now; serves 2 ales if you're a real ale buff; Barnsley Bitter and Old Tom Mild

Toby Jug: yet another pit from the past; reopened about 3 years ago, but don't know about it's current form.

Rose and Crown: shit hole on New Road opposite Kwik Save - says it all really.
Provides a useful function for the police, as they don't have to travel far to pick up the less gentrified of the Cock Hill area.

Rubery Social Club: smokey joint for the retired working class; it's a town centre social club for god's sake.

British Legion: Available for weddings, parties etc etc

Outside Inn and Chargrill restuarant (Great Park): Epitomises all that is wrong with chain pubs in the UK today - identikit blandness with faux 'home cooking' to entice the families when everywhere else is fully booked on Mothers Day.

The Dingle Social Club: not the same as the Dingle pub up the road, but I have no particular desire to find out in person quite frankly (Frankly, geddit?)
Large Armco barrier in front of main doors, to avoid a repeat of someone with obvious grudge issues driving a car through them.

Chiquito's/Frankie and Benny's (Great Park): been to one, been to them all - and situated next to a cinema, surprisingly.

Hawthornes Social Club (Rednal Mill Drive): I think the more desirable of the local social club scene due to it's placement in the better half of residential Rubery/Rednal.

The Coppice (Edgewood Road): Not a bad place, but not particularly exciting either. The atmosphere is a little strange; not in an agressive way, but not helped by the fact that every light fitting, and there a few, each have a 100watt bulb burning at full brightness. It's like drinking in very bright sunlight, but indoors. Perhaps the locals have tunnel vision; I would rather drink in one - at least the gloom wouldn't hurt my eyes.

Old Hare and Hounds (Lickey Road): An M&B owned Ember Inn who also own the Selly Park Tavern and Country Girl, amongst others. A truly wonderful experience, warm atmosphere, friendly staff, wonderful beer, and it's my local.
On the other hand, however, enjoy crap service on a weekend as the bar piles up 3 or 4 deep. After 20 mins of waving a score (no, really) and losing the will to live, get served by one of the 3 halfwits who decided to turn up for work that evening, pay a wallet emptying £3 for a bottle of Bud, then it is standing room only until 12.30pm. Stick to the mid week. Oh, and there's quiz night every Sunday.

That's about all that I can think of right now. Enjoy!
Mr Glide, you're a true gent & raconteur of all things alcoholic, thank you

So it looks like the Hare & Hounds then. Have been to about 4 of the pubs you've listed since we moved into the area a few months ago; all of them decidedly depressing. But the H&H we have yet to frequent, but probably will do tonight or tomorrow.

And to be fair to the Cock Inn, it does like quite a nice pub from the outside and not too bad on the inside either. But because its almost on the Cock Hill estate's doorstep and because its had such a bad history you always feel inclined to keep a knukkleduster in your pocket in case it gets ugly

Thanks again, Mr Glide
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #16
Sonny97

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
I think you'll find that is in Birmingham - the sign says "Welcome" just before the turn. Therefore the Morrisons is indeed Longbridge. There, I've just defined Rubery's border!!!
... and yet when you go onto the Morrison's website and type in a Rubery post code to find the nearest store, it turns up with a Rubery address rather than Longbridge. It's all very confusing
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #17
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 67

The Barnt Green Inn is super
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #18
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

We used to stop off at Ruber for chips many years ago, the shopping area always seemed quite nice with a great toy shop, I recently when back to a friends house who lived next to one of the tower blocks, the inside was done up to a very high standard when I returned home in a taxi, I asked the local driver if th eplace deserves it bad rep and he reasured me that there were only two streets that he refused pick ups from in th ewhole of Rubery, which, when compared to Charlemont Farm where I sometimes could never get a taxi back to full stop, is quite good I think.

Rubery was important enough to warrant a tram route to Brum centre... (this one coming away from Rubery at Longbridge Island

Rednal Terminus

Rubery Terminus

Old March 28th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #19
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

If you can imagine a church steeple in the centre there, remove the flats and remove Brum to the right.. it could almost be a quaint country town.

image hosted on flickr

This is the start of Rubery to my mind, it just makes sense?

image hosted on flickr
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #20
Matt M

Cheers for the pictures. Elizabeth. You are right about the way Rubery could look like a country town if there weren't any flats and Brum wasn't in the background. I think the area is really contrasting from the times I've visited when I've goen to the Lickey Hills. I always think of the really attractive Mucklow-built estate off Callowbrook Lane opposite the Cock Hill Flats just into Brum's boundary. And of course, around School Road the area is semi-rural, similar to Catshill and Fairfield.

I have noticed four (I think, it might actually be six) council houses at the end of Callowbrook Lane, facing the bypass and just past the private housing in the picture, the houses are hidden behind a tree. I've wondered, out of curiosity, if they were built by Bromsgrove or Birmingham, as I've read that Birmingham Council built some houses in Sutton Coldfield years before the town was taken over and I wondered if they built other houses outside the city boundary?