daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #1
Luke
Blackboard Monitor

Likes (Received): 153

Billiter Street scheme - huge groundscraper for EC3

Estates Gazette -

Plans to extend the Lloyds Avenue conservation area to include a site bordered by Fenchurch St, Leadenhall St & Billiter St have been defeated. If approved developers would have been forced to retain the facades of several neo-classical buildings in any proposed redevelopment of the site.

The buildings however have now been deemed of not enough historic or architectural merit for inclusion in the conservation area by the City of London's planning authorities.

Developers now plan to press ahead with a six building 'campus' style scheme for the site which could begin construction in 2011 when current leases expire.

At least one element of the scheme is set to be highrise with the land closest to The Willis Building considered suitable for a tall building.

Last edited by Luke; September 1st, 2009 at 10:48 AM.
Luke no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #2
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Estates Gazette -

Plans to extend the Lloyds Avenue conservation area to include a site bordered by Fenchurch St, Leadenhall St & Billiter St have been defeated. If approved developers would have been forced to retain the facades of several neo-classical buildings in any proposed redevelopment of the site.

The buildings however have now been deemed of not enough historic or architectural merit for inclusion in the conservation area by the City of London's planning authorities.

Developers now plan to press ahead with a six building 'campus' style scheme for the site which could begin construction in 2011 when current leases expire.

One least one element of the scheme is set to be highrise with the land closest to The Willis Building considered suitable for a tall building.
Excellent news. I've mentioned this site before - they're planning 600,000 sq ft according to an article from last year. If that's going to be spread over 6 buildings then it won't be a groundscraper and would have to include something at least 100m+, maybe even a skyscraper...

Last edited by wjfox; March 26th, 2007 at 02:11 PM.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Jonny 5

Likes (Received): 1

Is the site big enough to put 6 buildings on it?
They would have very small floorplates.
  • -----------------------------﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Jonny 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #4
london lad

Likes (Received): 2332

This is the same scheme ,it extends all the way along Fenchurch St & Leadenhall St upto Aldgate & a scheme of 1,000,000sq ft is planned.

http://www.cityofficesllp.com/intromovie.html

[IMG]http://i10.************/2hmkhoi.jpg[/IMG]

These guys who were part of Greycoat who were big developers in the city in the 90's are working on this scheme for Investream.

Not entirely pleased we maybe losing some neo-classical buildings along here- I haven't been up these streets in over a year so not sure what maybe lost.

Also if EH get their way this scheme seems highly unlikely to be tall as it would be the closest tall building to the Tower of London. It depends on the result for 20FC & how big the new 'buffer zones' around the world heritage sites would be. Still 2011 is a long way off.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #5
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13297

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
it extends all the way along Fenchurch St & Leadenhall St upto Aldgate & a scheme of 1,000,000sq ft is planned.
In that case, ignore my previous post - this will clearly be another groundscraper or super-groundscraper.

Oh joy.
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #6
london lad

I'd say it will be both. From what Luke has reported it could be 6 buildings. They could probably get away with a tall building on the west side of the site (again depends on the EH/20FC outcome) but even if 20FC does win it would've been doubtful that tall buildings would be allowed to the East so a collection of smaller buildings to the East & a taller one to the West seems reasonable.
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #7
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post

HHM...I think something tall sloping off to the east looking at that image...pretty much as London Lad says! perhaps 25 floors sloping down to 15?
Finished that sid eof the cluster nicely

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #8
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6533

I like to see something that respects the view of the Gherkin from the South Bank.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #9
Bob

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
I like to see something that respects the view of the Gherkin from the South Bank.
A doughnut so we can peak through?

I'm hoping for 30 floors, slim, good detail, glass - yep people need windows, but perhaps any other secondary material but steel. That could be any other metal, stone, teracotta, composite.
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #10
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 266

I'm asking for something with stainless steel cladding like OCS and at least 15 storeys tall.
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #11
Madman

Likes (Received): 40

i want a bronze building, like Seagram but even more opulent and sexier
Madman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #12
GazKinz

Likes (Received): 100

Hmmm, how big is the site that will be redeveloped? The smaller one that wjfox posted or the larger one that london lad posted? As the larger site contains the following building, the London Metal Exchange, it's a throughly handsom neo-classical building, please tell me in this day and age this can't be demolished!?

GazKinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #13
london lad

The site I posted are from people working with investream on the scheme . When this site/proposal was first inthe news , about a year or so ago it had a pic of the whole site as well so it would include that building you posted. I guess thats why people wanted the leadenhall conservation area extended to protect buildings such as these.

Can you get some pics of other buildings effected that woul be in this site. From what I recall the streets were a mix of older buildings & buildings built in the last 15-20yrs.

BTW - there is another site which might also see a high rise. The 3 or 4 buildings that form the rest of the block around 51 Lime St from Fenchurch Ave & Ledenahll are owned by one or two companies , one of which has been tyring to buy up the remaining buildings on this block. Not sure if it has bought all the buildings but if/when they do they could probably get away with a high rise neighbour to 51Lime St .
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #14
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 669

Quote:
Yet more protected sightlines in London? No, I don't agree with this at all. Better to get some more skyscrapers up in the cluster BEFORE the gherkin becomes the new St Paul's / Tower of London etc.
Officer Dibble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #15
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Dibble View Post
Yet more protected sightlines in London? No, I don't agree with this at all.
No, that's not what I said. I don't want a protected sightline, but I want a building that appreciates that this (after 122 Leadenhall goes up and blocks the Gherkin from Waterloo Bridge) view from the South Bank will be the only view the Gherkin is now visible in.

This can be easily done. A tower that maybe sweeps back away from the Gherkin like Leadenhall does from the dome of St Pauls, or one that gets progressively thinner as it reaches the height of the Gherkin, so it is still visible behind.

What I don't want is a fat tower blocking out the Gherkin, like the Willis Building now has with Tower 42 when viewed from Tower Bridge.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #16
GazKinz

Likes (Received): 100

This building is also part of the site, on Fenchurch Street, facing Lloyds Avenue.

I am VERY unhappy at the prospect of this and the London Metal Exchange being demolished, which seems likely now the Leadenhall Conservation area hasn't been extended. Most of the buildings on this site are mediocre post-war buildings and I would be happy to seem them go, however demolishing these two buildings is just as bad the very unpopular, but thankfully dead proposals to demolish the Regents hotel and the Metropole. It sometimes seems like we havent learnt much, we have lost so many fine buildings due to the second world war and post war redevelopment in the City, this has given us some great opportunities to create great contemporary architecture, but I feel we should save what we have left of our pre-war classical architecture, no matter what. And where are EH? Proposing that ridicules sky corridor!

To fair I dont care what gets proposed however high quality if we continue to eroded our heritage by destroying these two fine buildings.
GazKinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #17
london lad

To be honest the site is big enough to keep some of those buildings, particuarly if its going to be a 6 building scheme. You can bet whatevers proposed EH will attack it for its height not the fact that those buildings you posted will be up for demolition.

Still we don't know what is planned & nothing would start till at least 2011 so theres plenty of time for plans to change. If theres enough uproar over these buildings they could be incoporated in the new scheme. Wait & see.
Old March 29th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #18
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

They're such f***ing philistines for allowing such handsome buildings to be destroyed to make way for some naff development.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #19
potto

Likes (Received): 9180

Quote:
No, that's not what I said. I don't want a protected sightline, but I want a building that appreciates that this ...
The Buklersbury House scheme responded to the Gherkin in a breath-taking way, sadly as with all the things that seem to be inspired with a sense of beauty it is now stuck in planning limbo
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #20
El_Greco
pater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8253

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazKinz View Post
This building is also part of the site, on Fenchurch Street, facing Lloyds Avenue.

Lloyds Avenue is a very beautiful street and if these buildings are demolished it will destroy the character of the street.Wheres EH when you need them...?Oh wait I forgot...their job is to fight skyscrapers not save old buildings....Someone should kick their sorry arses.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: