daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which proposal is the best
Design A 78 32.91%
Design B 6 2.53%
Design C 42 17.72%
Design D 95 40.08%
None of them 16 6.75%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 28th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #1
hala

Likes (Received): 4

HONG KONG | Tamar Development Project News

A Central Government Complex and a Legislative Council Complex, together with an open space, will be developed on the Tamar site in Central District, Hong Kong Island. Four prequalified tenderers were earlier invited by the Government to submit tenders for the design-and-build contract for the project.

Design A:

Exhibition Screens: (click the image to enlarge)

Design B:

Design C:

Design D:
Designed by: Daniel Libeskind

Visit: http://www.tamar.gov.hk
Pictures of the exhibition by 久 地 遊 覽 (leomak) from http://hk-place.com/vp.php?board=1&id=2346-14

Last edited by hala; February 28th, 2008 at 07:47 AM.
hala no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #2
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Another mega project for HK. Such a small city landwise, yet there always seems to be something big happening. I like no. 1 (similar to CCTV in Beijing.) But the last Libeskind one is kind of cute with the reference to the sailing junk. It looks similar to AIG in that sense. I'm not sure I like the ball there though. I would be satisfied with either of these.
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #3
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

A is very yinteresting, and seems to defy physics, definitely would want this to be built somewhere in Hong Kong

B is very conventional, wouldn't be a bad addition, but I'd rather have it elsewhere than HK's waterfront (perhaps old towns, etc.)

C is also a nice concept, but nothing fantastic, again, would love to see this in Hong Kong, but perhaps as redevelopment of old towns.

D is absolutely fantastic, my favorite one, slightly more than A, i think it will draw attention to itself from the water front, soooo nice. I have a thing for these sail like things. I also really like the AIG Tower, and that hotel thing in Dubai...

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #4
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Double post, but I really like D, also because of its water front design, which looks like a lot more thought has been given than A... plus I would love those light pillar things...

EDIT: no triple post, I just noticed they're filling in the water between the central pier and turning it into a park!

Hong Kong's moving away from it's ultra urban image on the very water front... this is interesting, I'm not entirely convinced of what that would do for the skyline, though

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008

Last edited by gladisimo; March 28th, 2007 at 11:32 AM.
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #5
alsen
Celebrity Fitness

Likes (Received): 1

i really like design D and B is my least favourite
alsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #6
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

I would pick A which reminds me of the one planned for Beijing. It's gonna look great to see the development happening in this part of town.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #7
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Design D for me
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #8
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Actually would have preferred a fifth design but well i voted for design A.
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #9
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Design D is ******* awesome. I hope they build that proposal.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #10
kelw

Likes (Received): 0

I recommend everyone to take some time and view the promotional videos on the website. They make it easier to visualize all the designs and see how everything fits together. They also show more of the building interiors. I think the government complex should go for a more low-key, timeless look, rather than being showy and distracting. My thoughts:

A: This is a pretty good design. I agree it looks similar to the one in Beijing and maybe the Grande Arche in Paris, but it still looks quite good.

B: This is probably a bit too conventional, and the various pieces of the complex don't fit well together.

C: This is the best design in my opinion. It is conventional without being too boring or boxy. It does have a certain "corparate" feel to it, but the structures are actually very open and transparent, which is fitting for a government complex. And this design has the best-looking legislative chamber. The complex's north-south orientation provides more efficient use of space and won't block as many buildings behind it. I recommend watching the video for this one.

D: This design is okay... I guess. The Chinese junk concept is just way too cliché and obvious. The novelty will grow old very quickly. It will also look very distracting from the harbour in my opinion.

So my preference is C > A > B > D.
kelw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #11
hala

Wraps come off four visions for Tamar
(SCMP) 03-29-07 00:03AM

Four proposals competing for the HK$5.2 billion contract to build the new government headquarters and Legislative Council buildings at Tamar went on display yesterday.

The designs and their titles emphasise openness and the people - despite being required to include a "water feature" or some means of keeping the public at bay.

Director of administration Elizabeth Tse Man-yee said the exhibition, at the Queensway Government Offices, would allow the public to take part in selecting a design, even though the tender exercise required confidentiality.

"All tender documents are confidential because they contain confidential business information. We made a special arrangement by asking the companies involved to decide what information they wanted to disclose and present them in a standard form, so the public will be able to participate," she said.

The government believed the public would comment on the design and aesthetic of the proposals based on information available.

"We don't think it is necessary for the public to go into the technical details of each proposal," she said.

The designs are from China State, Leighton and Yau Lee; the DHK-CRCC Tamar Joint Venture; a Gammon and Hip Hing joint venture; and another between Paul Y and Shui On.

Tamar will house a government complex, a building for the chief executive's office and the Executive Council, a new chamber for the Legislative Council and a building for lawmakers and the Legco secretariat.

Under the government's plan, the contract will be awarded this year and the project completed in 2010.

Visitors to the exhibition can fill in a comment card to express views, which will be presented to the special selection board headed by Chief Secretary Rafael Hui Si-yan, which will consider the project consultant's analysis in assessing the submissions.

Sixty per cent of the score awarded to bidders will be based on three aspects - design and aesthetics; planning, sustainability and environment; and function and technical factors. Price accounts for the other 40 per cent.

The exhibition at Queensway will close on April 24. It will move to the Heritage Discovery Centre in Kowloon Park from April 28 to May 27. The public can also see the models at.

Albert Lai Kwong-tak, engineer and Civic Party vice-chairman, said the exhibition was "unfair to the competitors and the public". He said the government should make public the technical aspect of the four proposals so professionals could assist people to interpret the designs.

"We cannot compare the basic parameters, such as height and size of the building, the size of the public open space.

"The government should also tell the public how it is going to manage each of the proposals because it will have an impact on how the people can use Tamar in the future, " Mr Lai said.
Old March 29th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #12
hala

Tamar designs focus on green, energy themes
(STANDARD) 03- 29-07 03:30AM

Green and energy-efficient - that is the theme of four design models unveiled Wednesday for the HK$5.2 billion Tamar redevelopment project.

The models provide an insight into what the government and Legislative Council complexes on the 4.2-hectare site will look like.

Members of the public have been invited to vote on their favorite design in the next two months, after which a report will be submitted to a special selection board to be chaired by Chief Secretary for Administration Rafael Hui Si-yan for a final decision.

The designs came from four pre-qualified bidders representing more than 100 commercial interests. In a bid to provide a long-term solution to the problem of acute shortage of office space, and to enhance the vibrancy of the waterfront and open the site to public access, the four designs have focused on renewable energy, greenery and energy-efficient services.

Design A - submitted by Gammon-Hip Hing Joint Venture - has a main building with an open space stretching to the waterfront, symbolizing openness and transparency of governance. The open-door design also allows plenty of ventilation and an unobstructed sea view.

It includes a lily pond flanking the Legislative Council's dining hall, a floating platform, a Legco garden, a Tamar Cafe and a sculptures corner.

Design B - by DHK-CRCC Tamar Joint Venture - blends three fundamental fung shui concepts - heaven, earth and people.

The setup stresses a dignified, independent and prestigious design, reinforcing the openness and transparency of government. The main features include a flower garden, meandering paths under tree canopies, civic park pools and waterfalls.

Design C - by Paul Y-Shui On Joint Venture - aims at giving Hong Kong an iconic architectural style by featuring interlocking and slanting projects in a dynamic and forward-looking world- class showcase.

It also aims to reinforce a sophisticated and cosmopolitan image of Hong Kong.

Its main features include a waterfront promenade, a Tamar park with a renewable-energy education garden, photovoltaic panels, green roofs and sky gardens.

Design D - by China State-Leighton-Yau Lee Joint Venture - splits the government and Legco complexes into two separate junk-sail and pearl- shaped buildings, engendering the need for both to work in harmony.

It aims to enhance efficiency, accessibility and openness of the civil service and legislators.

The main features include a pearl-shaped Legco library, a world-class promenade walk, a sky bridge, a fountain and a man-made beach.

Director of Administration Elizabeth Tse Man- yee said no promotional activities will be allowed during the design exhibition by the tenderers.
Old March 29th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #13
sista
proud to be tsinoy =p

Likes (Received): 0

I like the last design. Chinese junk facing the sea seems like an appropriate concept for government buildings. Design A is also beautiful and modern, but it's similar to the one on China's olympic park. B is the one I least like, it's too common and boring
Old March 29th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #14
Ginza

Likes (Received): 7

I like desing A and D Ithink itis more suitable for Hong Kong
Ginza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #15
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Likes (Received): 15

(1) D
(2) A
(3) C
(4) B
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #16
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

A is not bad, but it doesn't stand out enough and its upper section domineers over the existing skyline behind it.

B is conventional and anonymous with great interiors, good blend into the skyline, but does not make a statement for the government and its image.

C is too oppressive and gives an unapproachable fortress feel.

D is good, but I wish the interior was more imaginative.

If I had to pick, then D with A as second choice. I'd like more interior improvements, though.
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #17
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

D is by far the best - wonderful design! A is a distant runner up.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #18
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

I also like the D concept which is going to be very symbolic. The only thing I don't like about D is the building is going to be bigger than the PLA HQ building and will partially block some of Admiraty's skyscrapers especially viewing the skyline from Kowloon.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #19
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

I Prefer B at most and I really Hate A because it is really a copy cat from the New CCTV HQ in Beijing.
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #20
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Pesonally prefer the D's building, but B's landscape.
The junk is an icon of HK, the building fits in the icon and sailing on the harbour.

B's landscaping is awesome, a lot of water (probably too much) and green. We need something like that in the concrete jungle.