daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which proposal is the best
Design A 78 32.91%
Design B 6 2.53%
Design C 42 17.72%
Design D 95 40.08%
None of them 16 6.75%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 27th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #221
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytimothy View Post
Because it could've been so much better. It's a gonna be a landmark regardless just because it's the gov't HQ, but it says nothing about Hong Kong :-(
I also preferred the sail design. However the more I look at this gate design, the more I like it almost as much.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #222
spicytimothy
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
I also preferred the sail design. However the more I look at this gate design, the more I like it almost as much.
That's call compromising. We don't have a choice but to compromise :-(
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #223
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17796

8/27

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #224
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
8/27

Looking pretty nice with the progress. Love to see the wide sidewalk, and wonder what is it gonna be just in front of the Post Office.
Old October 1st, 2010, 03:57 PM   #225
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://www.fotop.net/ASMP/

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 11th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #226
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Government determined to ruin the only greenery left in Central
24 September 2010
SCMP

In 2007, the Society for the Protection of the Harbour campaigned to defer the Tamar government office project until it could be properly debated in Legco and scrutinised by the public.

The government ignored the public outcry and pressed ahead. It took over the Tamar site, which was a large piece of land reclaimed from the harbour and which should have been reserved for enjoyment by the public instead of by officials.

Our society feared that there was a secret purpose behind the government moving its offices to Tamar, which was to release the extremely valuable Government Hill land in Central and sell it to developers. This was despite the government knowing that office and commercial developments erected there would aggravate traffic congestion, air and noise pollution, and overcrowding in Central and that such an approach would be irresponsible town planning.

Your report ("Skyscraper plans for Government Hill site", September 18) confirmed our worst fears. The only greenery left in Central will be replaced by more office blocks and malls. The environment of this historic and charming part of Hong Kong, which includes the present Central Government offices, Government House and gardens, the former French Mission Building and St John's Cathedral and grounds, will be gone forever.

The government's justification is that Hong Kong needs more prime office space in Central. This is ludicrous. There is always a need for prime office space in any major city centre. A few more office buildings cannot satisfy the need for expansion of our central business district.

The answer, as the government well knows, lies in decentralisation just as many major modern cities have done. For example, London has successfully developed Canary Wharf as a second business district. Hong Kong has the chance to do the same now at the former Kai Tak airport site, which has ample land and is ideal for such a purpose.

The government also relies on the argument that the land sales will bring in more revenue. But Hong Kong is not so poor that it needs a few more billion dollars at the cost of degrading its city centre.

The end result of the administration's action in moving its offices to the reclaimed Tamar site and then selling [part of] Government Hill to developers is that these developers will indirectly benefit from harbour reclamation while the public will suffer both the loss of a vital part of the Central harbourfront as well as the site on Government Hill.

This is contrary to the spirit of the Protection of the Harbour Ordinance and the Harbour Planning Principles promulgated by the Harbourfront Enhancement Committee, which prescribe that the harbour and harbourfront should only be for public needs and public enjoyment.

The government's present proposal reaffirms the public's perception that it is more committed to the interests of a small circle of real estate developers than to the people of Hong Kong.

Winston K. S. Chu, adviser, Society for Protection of the Harbour

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:06 AM   #227
spicytimothy

Why don't we have a construction thread on this??

image hosted on flickr

IMG_3821 by skyscraperspicytimothy, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_3819 by skyscraperspicytimothy, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_3815 by skyscraperspicytimothy, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_3312 by skyscraperspicytimothy, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_3228 by skyscraperspicytimothy, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_3227 by skyscraperspicytimothy, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_3226 by skyscraperspicytimothy, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_3223 by skyscraperspicytimothy, on Flickr
Old October 22nd, 2010, 01:58 PM   #228
RaphiHK

Location: SAR Hong Kong, China / Paris, France / Taipei, Taiwan
Likes (Received): 1

The black cladding looks really weird ...
RaphiHK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:24 AM   #229
spicytimothy

I think it's just some kind of prep thing for the glass that's coming later...
Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:01 AM   #230
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I thought it was dark blue glass?

Old November 8th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #231
hkskyline
Hong Kong

11/8

Old November 10th, 2010, 03:27 AM   #232
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

the door is taking its shape.
Old November 11th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #233
RaphiHK

Nice progress. Can't wait to see it finished.
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #234
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Transcript of CE's remarks at question-and-answer session of Joint Business Community Luncheon
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Government Press Release Excerpt

Following is a transcript of remarks by the Chief Executive, Mr Donald Tsang, at the question-and-answer session of the Joint Business Community Luncheon at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre today (November 3):

Question: David for Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors Hong Kong. We represent the property profession. We welcome your new policies on housing, and particularly that you address the core problem here which is the new supply. So we would like to thank you for that. However, there is another sector where I think we have a similar problem which is the supply of grade A office space, not only our rents now, again the most expensive in the world, but it is now becoming difficult for major space users to find office space in Hong Kong, which obviously will have a knock-on effect with the employment prospects, and these are not people who want to go into converted industrial buildings in Kowloon Bay, now I am just wondering what the government policy is gonna be to ensure we have enough land for prime offices going forward.

Chief Executive: Well, the Hong Kong area is built up, particularly in the central business district, but thank you for raising this. We must have balanced development, for instance, in the redevelopment in Central area there, redevelopment of the Central Government Offices, we have already planned that we are going to preserve one whole block, the East Wing and the Main Wing of the Central Government Offices when we all move to Tamar in summer next year. But the West Wing would be converted for commercial use. This is under consultation at the moment. But some politicians are saying well, sorry we don't need it, but we should turn it into a turf and raise lambs and cattle. We must make a balance somewhere. In Central areas, we have taken away from a land sale programme the redevelopment of Central market as you know. This is being converted into something which becomes a little lung and a recreation area for the business community in Central area, and that would take away some commercial development space there. But I hope the West Wing of Central Government Offices will be the next input into the market, and that is important. The business community, the professional bodies should make your case clear. I believe there is a need for it because our business community cannot stand still, particular commercial centre, the heart of Hong Kong cannot stop upgrading itself and we must not price ourselves out of the regional business market by allowing rents to rise to impossible levels. For that reason, further input would be necessary, and we must make sure adequate supply, and I would do that. But you have to help me. Some of these development plans is open for consultation. You then express your views. Let the environmentalists express their views. Let everybody speaks up and then at the end of the day, I am sure we will get a good compromise. But I agree entirely with you now we embark on the redevelopment in any region, we must not ignore the needs of the business sector as well. We must not ignore the needs of the middle class to buy homes. We must not ignore the need of the grassroots people to have public housing. We must not ignore the needs of the business sector to have somewhere to operate the business. And we will do that. But we all have to speak up because when we try to move to Tamar, people argue that we should not go there, that should again be another park for raising cattle. And this would be another war we need to fight as well. I believe we have provided sufficient green and we are going to provide more green in Central. But we also need new office space.

Old December 11th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #235
RaphiHK

How the project is getting along ? any news, updates ?
Old December 20th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #236
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Legco security guards to triple on Tamar move
27 October 2010
South China Morning Post

The number of security guards used by the legislature will triple when its new headquarters opens on the Tamar site in September next year.

Pauline Ng Man-wah, Legislative Council secretary general, said the sheer size of the new building, which will be four times the size of the current one in Central, warranted a bigger security presence.

Legco staff said Chief Executive Donald Tsang Yam-kuen would probably deliver his last policy address next October in the new legislative chamber.

A 30-strong team of security guards is currently employed at the Legco building in Central.

In recent years, protesters have laid siege to the legislature, with lawmakers and officials becoming easy targets for activists.

The current building is quite small and has relatively few exits.

The new building is expected to be completed in May.

"Just deciding how many people should be standing guard in which entrance is giving us a headache," Ng said. "With the much enlarged building, we are planning to hire about 60 new security guards in order to cope."

A new position of chief security officer has been created and will be filled by a retired senior police officer. The security chief, who will deal with frontline security management as well as security systems, will take up the position in December.

Activists have raised concerns about the move to the new site because, even though there will be protest zones nearby, the size of the building and its many entrances mean officials and lawmakers will easily avoid the crowds.

Journalists have also raised concerns about threats to the long-established practice of lawmakers and officials mingling with the media in the corridors at Legco. Some parts of the new building will be off-limits to journalists, providing a possible exit for those who want to avoid questions.

The move is expected to take place on schedule during the summer recess next year, despite an initial delay in building work to implement new requirements for earthquake prevention.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 05:00 AM   #237
philip
The Picture Guy

Likes (Received): 71

OMG, it's going up so fast !!!!
Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:28 PM   #238
RaphiHK

I think that the main structure is almost finished now, but I'm wondering about the progress of the harbourside reclamation. I wish I were in Hong Kong this year to take some pictures ...
Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:51 PM   #239
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphiHK View Post
I think that the main structure is almost finished now, but I'm wondering about the progress of the harbourside reclamation. I wish I were in Hong Kong this year to take some pictures ...
Here's the harbour reclamation thread : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=198002

They've started building the underground bypass using cut-and-cover near the Star Ferry. It's quite a big shaft now.

Old January 25th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #240
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Topping-out Ceremony for Tamar Development Project
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Government Press Release

Speaking at the Topping-out Ceremony for the Tamar Development Project today (January 25), the Chief Executive, Mr Donald Tsang, said that the Project had reached a new milestone.

The Tamar Development Project includes the design and construction of the new Government Headquarters, Legislative Council Complex, open space of about half the size of the entire Tamar site, and two elevated walkways. Construction works formally started in February 2008.

All superstructural works have been completed as scheduled within a time frame of about three years. One can now clearly see the design of the buildings, which are modern, simple and dignified, befitting the image of the executive authorities and legislature of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.

"The project has adopted the 'Door always open' concept in its design. This open door is now standing behind me. It is not only a distinctive building design, but also a reminder for us to be always open-minded, proactive and receptive to public opinions," Mr Tsang said.

"The close proximity of the executive and legislative authorities reflects the close working relationship between the Government and the Legislative Council (LegCo). With the relocation of Government Headquarters and the LegCo building to Tamar, I look forward to further co-operation between the two in promoting the development and advancement of our community."

The design of the Tamar project is people oriented, and the north-south landscaped "green carpet" maximises public accessibility to the waterfront. The disposition of the buildings forms a major breezeway from the harbour to the inner city area and maintains good air ventilation.

The Government has held an open competition to acquire artworks from local artists to promote local art and to enhance the artistic experience for the public as they enjoy the open space.

The Tamar Development Project also includes a large number of green features, such as green roofs, waste recycling, sea-water cooled chiller plants, and daylight sensor control.

To enhance the greenery of the open space, various landscaping measures such as an extensive lawn, tree plantations, water features and a lily pond will be included. Other features, such as a civic piazza, sculpture court, amphitheatre and Tamar corner, will provide venues for different types of activities for public enjoyment.

Construction works are expected to be completed by mid-2011.

The Project currently engages a workforce of over 3,000.

The Chief Secretary for Administration, Mr Henry Tang, the President of the Legislative Council, Mr Tsang Yok-sing, the Convenor of the Non-official Members of the Executive Council, Mr Leung Chun-ying, the Director of Jardine Matheson Holdings, Mr Adam Keswick, and the Executive Director of NWS Holdings, Mr Patrick Lam, joined the Chief Executive in officiating at the Topping-out Ceremony.