daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which proposal is the best
Design A 78 32.91%
Design B 6 2.53%
Design C 42 17.72%
Design D 95 40.08%
None of them 16 6.75%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 21st, 2007, 09:30 AM   #81
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 6

My pick would either be A or C...

A - I like the poetic description! And it looks really good to have it at waterfront. As what it's described, it acts like a door that connects people, that's what HK is all about, iconic.

C - C looks good too. It has a very imposing feeling that projects out to the sea. This really looks good for a government complex. It blends in well with its surroundings too.

Hmmm... tough one but I think A wins a little as it would really be another icon for HK once it's built.

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:35 PM   #82
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

From news.gov.hk:
Tamar exhibition heads to Kowloon
Old April 22nd, 2007, 01:01 PM   #83
kor_heroskc
#golden_mean#

Likes (Received): 0

D>C>A>B

but, maybe D is an expense relatively to others...

Last edited by kor_heroskc; April 22nd, 2007 at 01:10 PM.
kor_heroskc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 01:17 PM   #84
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodylepus View Post
No one will dispute the importance of tourism to HK. But we are talking about the design of government office building. Proposal D may not be a bad idea for locations across the habour or somewhere else NOT in the heart of financial and administrative district.
I am quite aware of the location thank you. I do not see why government buildings must be coporate and dull. I do not see why the financial district must be corporate and dull. A beautiful and imaginative design such as D should not be hidden away out of sight in Kowloon but put on bold display in HK's main shop window (ie the Central skyline). If HK's decision makers are as orthodox and conservative in their tastes as you evidently are then HK will quickly be eclipsed in terms of modern architecture by more daring and imaginative cities.

Last edited by Monkey; April 22nd, 2007 at 01:50 PM.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:18 AM   #85
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

There are a number of very bold architectural pieces in the skyline already. Bank of China and HSBC are very visible. Lippo is a bit tucked away but those 2 towers are confidently placed in the CBD.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:48 PM   #86
raymond_tung88

Likes (Received): 14

I know a lot of forumers here dislike Design D because of its symbolic reference to the junk and the 'Pearl of the Orient' both of which are somewhat outdated for post-colonial Hong Kong.

In my honest opinion, I believe Design D is the best. The other designs are great too but Design A is a cross between the Grand Arche in Paris and the CCTV HQ in Beijing. Design B is too simple and boxy. Its not memorable nor iconic. Design C is too 'out there' and as someone said before, its reminiscent of the Adidas logo, not to mention the building doesn't make the most use of the land. They have built the building only on half the plot of land and a park with the other.

Even though the junk and the Pearl are outdated, no one can deny that it is unique to Hong Kong and that is why I believe Design D should win.
raymond_tung88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:57 PM   #87
MA

Likes (Received): 0

I also find that Design D is the best. i have always loved fosters design for the opera in the west kowloon cultural district that look very similar. IMO hong kong stands for junks like no other city in asia and pics with a junk in front of the skyline are just fantastic.
This city lives from the contrast between tradition and modern style. Hong Kong is proud to have the over 100 years old Star Ferry and no one say that its outdated. A building that is shaped in the same way like a symbol of this town is a good way to make the skyline look more unique
MA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:28 PM   #88
Monkey
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
There are a number of very bold architectural pieces in the skyline already. Bank of China and HSBC are very visible. Lippo is a bit tucked away but those 2 towers are confidently placed in the CBD.
Yes but BoC and HSBC are skyscrapers. HK's modern buildings need more variety. There is the airport, conference centre, and Peak Tower but little else. A Hong Kong friend of mine went to Beijing recently and came back gushing at the amazing new buildings there. At first I was surprised. "You're from HK and you're impressed by Beijing's modern buidlings?" That was my attitude. I hate all those oppressive box-like office buildings that line Beijing's massive straight roads. I hate the way the city has prioritised cars over pedestrians. However, despite its' flaws, Beijing does indeed have a lot of cool new buildings - Foster's amazing new airport, Andreu's new opera house, the CCTV building, the Olympic stadium and water cube etc. Hong Kong doesn't have that variety of modern buildings. London is another city with a much wider variety of exciting new buildings than Hong Kong. That's why this opportunity at the Tamar site should not be wasted on some dull second-rate corporate design justified by some half-arse logic like "it's OK for cultural buildings to look cool but not for government" or "it's OK in Kowloon but not in Central". A conservative choice here will be a wasted one.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:42 PM   #89
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Beijing's pace of development these days mirrors Hong Kong back in the 80s and 90s. They're just at a different part of the growth curve. Hong Kong has matured and moved onto another phase. However, the two cities have a lot in common, such as regenerating older areas.

After the fiasco in West Kowloon, the government seems to be a bit more cautious about Tamar, and other large-scale projects. They seem to be more conservative, fearing a public backlash, so they're shying away from extravagence. But then, the problem was never about out of the world designs and their expensive costs. It was all about turning cultural projects into real estate property developments with a for-profit motive. That kind of thinking is flawed from the start.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:14 PM   #90
Monkey
BANNED

^ I don't agree with your maturity argument. In terms of tall skyscraper development HK is building more now than it ever did before. When did HK ever have 3 x 300m+ towers under construction at once before? And, aside from the airport, Hong Kong didn't build any non-skyscraper modern landmark buildings in the 80s or 90s with the class of those I listed in Beijing. And London is a mature city but it has built/is building more impressive non-skyscraper modern buildings than HK over the last decade.

What examples of regenerating old areas did you have in mind? It seems to me that both Beijing and Hong Kong are more about destroying and rebuilding old areas than regenerating them.

Tamar plan D is fine. If they choose that proposal I think they will create the kind of non-skyscraper modern landmark that I'm talking about. It's choosing any of the other three designs that would be a missed opportunity.
Old April 24th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #91
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
^ I don't agree with your maturity argument.
I think he was focusing on the CBD (HKI East) waterfront, when he's talking about the maturity. It has to be noted that much of the activity in HK are now based on other parts of the city (1 Island East, ICC, Nina Tower all away from the CBD)

It's a shame that the CBD construction has slowed. Just fifteen years ago we didn't have the big three (Central Plaza, The Center, BoC).
(four if you count IFC, which I dont because I left in 1997, and those were the most prominent ones before I became aware of skyscrapers in the world)

Time for some of those buildings to grow old, demolish, and rebuilt, taller and bigger!

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:01 AM   #92
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
I think he was focusing on the CBD (HKI East) waterfront, when he's talking about the maturity. It has to be noted that much of the activity in HK are now based on other parts of the city (1 Island East, ICC, Nina Tower all away from the CBD)

It's a shame that the CBD construction has slowed. Just fifteen years ago we didn't have the big three (Central Plaza, The Center, BoC).
(four if you count IFC, which I dont because I left in 1997, and those were the most prominent ones before I became aware of skyscrapers in the world)

Time for some of those buildings to grow old, demolish, and rebuilt, taller and bigger!
Becuase the aiport was in the middle of the city, highrises couldn't been built in Hong Kong Island East and the entire Kowloon Peninsula. By the mid-90s, we eventually ran out of land to build highrises. After the airport moved, the height restriction has been loosen and now we see highrises are popping up in areas where has never had a highrise before. Land values are relatively cheaper in those areas. The trend of highrise will definitley shifts from Central, Admiralty, Wan Chai and Causeway Bay to rest of the areas on both sides of Victoria Harbour.
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #93
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
^ I don't agree with your maturity argument. In terms of tall skyscraper development HK is building more now than it ever did before. When did HK ever have 3 x 300m+ towers under construction at once before? And, aside from the airport, Hong Kong didn't build any non-skyscraper modern landmark buildings in the 80s or 90s with the class of those I listed in Beijing. And London is a mature city but it has built/is building more impressive non-skyscraper modern buildings than HK over the last decade.

What examples of regenerating old areas did you have in mind? It seems to me that both Beijing and Hong Kong are more about destroying and rebuilding old areas than regenerating them.

Tamar plan D is fine. If they choose that proposal I think they will create the kind of non-skyscraper modern landmark that I'm talking about. It's choosing any of the other three designs that would be a missed opportunity.
Although HK has been building a lot of residential skyscrapers, but the pace of commercial office space growth has slowed. Yes, there are a number of projects around the city, but they're not in the traditional CBD. ICC, Island East, and Nina Tower are all in the secondary districts. That's why the skyline hasn't moved so much whereas back in the 1980s and 1990s, there were a number of projects right in the main CBD, so the skyline changed very quickly.

Beijing is in dire need of infrastructure investments, hence a building frenzy has arisen, especially to make the 2008 Olympics deadline. Hong Kong has enough infrastructure in place from years of development, so the need for such a frenzy is not great locally. China's objective is to build big and to inspire, whereas in Hong Kong, everything must meet tight profit objectives as they are spearheaded by the business community, not by the government. Even for projects that have originated from the government, they are heavily scrutinized from both cost and revenue perspectives as if they are from the private sector. There is a lot of rumbling from the public these days on efficiently spending tax dollars.There is no shortage of major non-skyscraper projects in Hong Kong, including the new convention centre next to the airport, Skyplaza/T2, and Disneyland. But Beijing is hosting the 2008 Olympic Games, whereas Hong Kong is using these facilities for regular day-to-day activities. The design focus would be greatly different.

Old April 28th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #94
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Exhibition Venue Location Maps

Deck Level, High Block, Queensway Government Offices, Hong Kong (from 28 March to 24 April)

Thematic Exhibition Gallery, Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre, Kowloon Park, Tsim Sha Tsui (from 28 April to 27 May)

Old May 7th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #95
hkskyline
Hong Kong

有 議 員 批 評 添 馬 艦 工 程 披 露 的 資 料 不 足
2007-05-07 HKT 09:01
RTHK

在 立 法 會 檢 討 中 區 海 旁 規 劃 小 組 的 一 個 會 議 上 , 議 員 要 求 政 府 就 添 馬 艦 政 府 總 部 工 程 , 提 供 更 多 資 料 , 令 市 民 真 正 有 機 會 參 與 。

議 員 李 永 達 指 出 , 添 馬 艦 工 程 的 四 個 模 型 正 在 進 行 展覽 , 但 建 築 物 會 否 導 致 屏 風 效 應 , 是 否 達 到 環 保 標 準 , 公 眾 能 否 經 建 築 物 通 往 海 濱長 廊 等 , 政 府 並 無 再 提 供 進 一 步 資 料 。

政 府 並 無 派 代 表 出 席 會 議 , 而 行 政 署 提 交 的 文件 就 指 出 , 由 於 不 能 就 標 書 內 容 作 任 何 評 論 , 因 此 未 能 出 席 會 議 。 又 指 出 招 標 過 程涉 及 四 家 投 標 者 , 及 旗 下 超 過 100 位 分 包 商 及 顧 問 公 司 的 利 益 , 必 須 小 心 處 理 , 確保 公 平 及 完 整 性 。 而 在 招 標 文 件 中 , 亦 禁 止 投 標 者 在 招 標 過 程 中 向 公 眾 解 釋 設 計 方案 。

Old May 7th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #96
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Tamar exhibition moves to Kowloon Park
Friday, April 27, 2007
Government Press Release

Ever considered that a day out to the park could combine with a visit to an exhibition?

Starting tomorrow (April 28), members of the community will have such a chance when visiting the urban oasis of Kowloon Park in Tsim Sha Tsui.

This is because the exhibition of design proposals submitted by the four tenderers for the Tamar Development Project will be held in a historical building inside the Park until May 27.

A government spokesman today (April 27) said that the public could visit the exhibition at the Thematic Exhibition Gallery of the Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre to give comments on the design and aesthetic aspects of the proposals, in addition to sampling the beauties of the Park and enjoying the leisure amenities there.

The Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre occupies two historic blocks of the former Whitfield Barracks which were built in circa 1910. The exhibition there will be open daily from 10 am to 7 pm until May 27 and admission is free.

Comment cards will be distributed at the exhibition venue. The public can also view the exhibit materials online at www.tamar.gov.hk and submit their comments via the website, by fax: 3106 3094, by email: [email protected]k, or by post: Central Government Offices, Lower Albert Road, Central, Hong Kong (Attention: Tamar Development Project Team).

"An independent consultant has been engaged by the Government to collate and analyse all the public views collected.

"The consultant will afterwards submit a report on its findings to the Special Selection Board for the Tamar Development Project, the sole authority for assessing the tenders and deciding on the contract award, which will take these views into account before making the final selection," the spokesman said.

"The first stage of the exhibition at Queensway Government Offices has attracted more than 14,500 visitors between March 28 and April 24 while nearly 51,400 visitors have surfed the website. So far, more than 9,400 comment cards have been received at the exhibition venue and via the Internet," he said.

Old May 9th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #97
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Old May 10th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #98
Don Omar
Bark twice if in Milwauke

Likes (Received): 36

great location
Black, White, New York you make it happen

- Beastie Boys
Don Omar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #99
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Site Photos

Old May 18th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #100
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Council snubbedon Tamar debate
8 May 2007
South China Morning Post

Government officials snubbed a Legislative Council discussion on the Tamar headquarters plan yesterday on the grounds that they wanted to avoid any perception of favouritism or misrepresentation with the tendering process still under way.

Legislators reviewing the design of Central's waterfront passed a motion to express their disappointment, and demanded officials attend future meetings to explain details of the four proposals.

The chairman of the panel on planning, lands and works, Lau Wong-fat, agreed with independent legislator Kwok Ka-ki, who proposed the motion, saying: "We need to put some pressure on the government."

The discussion covered two items: the four proposals to build a new government headquarters on the Tamar site in Admiralty, and whether the government should realign the road linking the International Finance Centre in Central and Admiralty.

Tamar will house a government complex, a building for the Chief Executive's Office and Executive Council, a new chamber for the Legislative Council and a building for lawmakers and the Legco secretariat.

It is intended the contract will be awarded this year and the project completed in 2010.

The administration wrote to Legco, saying: "To avoid any perception of government favouring any particular tenderer or misrepresenting any tender details, the government has to refrain from any discussion of tender submissions. As such, we will not be able to attend the meeting."

The government has forbidden the four bidding consortiums and their consultants from speaking to the public on details of the proposals for the Tamar site.

Details and models of the four proposals are on display at the Heritage Discovery Centre in Kowloon Park until May 27. Visitors to the exhibition are being asked to fill in a form to express views about the plans.

Of the four proposals, two, if chosen, would require planning permission as they envisage placing buildings on the seaward side of the site, which is reserved for public open space in current zoning plans.

Civic Party legislator Alan Leong Kah-kit wanted the government to clarify how the board that will pick the winning tender would assess public opinion in its marking scheme. Bids will be given marks out of 100 according to their quality and price. The weight accorded public opinion will be entirely up to the board, headed by Chief Secretary Rafael Hui Si-yan.

"The government keeps stressing it is the people's Tamar. I doubt the real level of public participation here," Mr Leong said.

The Democratic Party's Lee Wing-tat said: "What we want is data to make things clear. I saw the exhibition and still have many questions."