daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which proposal is the best
Design A 78 32.91%
Design B 6 2.53%
Design C 42 17.72%
Design D 95 40.08%
None of them 16 6.75%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 21st, 2007, 07:45 PM   #101
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17802

Here is a rendering by Aboveday with Design D in the skyline along with a completed ICC.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #102
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Public viewing exercise on the Tamar designs drawing to a close
Friday, May 25, 2007
Government Press Release

The exhibition of the design proposals submitted by the four tenderers for the Tamar Development Project will close on Sunday (May 27).

A spokesman for the Administration Wing said today (May 25) that the exhibition had so far attracted more than 30,000 visitors since its opening on March 28. More than 71,000 visitors have surfed the website (www.tamar.gov.hk), and more than 13,000 comment cards, collected at the exhibition venue or via the Internet, are being processed.

The independent consultant engaged by the Government to collate and analyse all the public views collected, the Public Policy Research Institute of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, will compile a report on its findings for the consideration of the Special Selection Board.

"We are grateful to the tenderers and the public for making this public viewing exercise a success. It remains the Government's aim to complete the tender evaluation process and to award the contract for the Tamar Development Project as soon as practicable within the year," the spokesman said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #103
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Will it be the 'sail' or 'door' for Tamar?
Two designs are favourites among the public for the government's new offices
17 June 2007
South China Morning Post

Two of four designs for a government headquarters have emerged as favourites with the public, but green groups and architects are worried one will create a "wall effect" blocking air flow along the Central waterfront and that the other will be too expensive.

A source close to the tendering process for the HK$5.2 billion project at the site of the Tamar naval base said most visitors to an exhibition showing models and artists' impressions of the designs preferred the "sailing boat" proposal from the China State, Leighton-Yau Lee consortium and Gammon-Hip Hing's "door" design.

The source said: "The 'door' is quite a distinctive design. The 'sailing boat' model is a bit old-fashioned, but many people like it as they feel it represents harmony and good fung shui. Some members of the selection panel prefer the 'door', but the 'sailing boat' has an edge since it is much cheaper."

A selection panel headed by the chief secretary, and comprising legislators and government officials will choose the winning design.

The views of visitors were canvassed by Polytechnic University.

According to the tendering rules, 60 per cent of the score awarded to each bid will be based on its quality and 40 per cent will be determined by the plan's cost.

The selection panel will take into account the views of a technical committee and the public before making its decision.

Hahn Chu Hon-keung, of Friends of the Earth, had concerns about the possible "wall effect" of the "sailing boat" design.

"The 'sailing boat' design consists of two big, horizontal blocks, with their width roughly equivalent to three to four blocks of ordinary office buildings. There are also two lower blocks in front of them. It is so bad to have such a big wall, which will block the breeze from the harbour," Mr Chu said.

He said pollution in Central was already serious and the government should avoid making it worse.

Roy Tam Hoi-pong, a spokesman for Green Sense, also said the buildings in the "sailing boat" design were too closely packed. "The wall effect there is very obvious. I am surprised the government is not sensitive enough to spot this," Mr Tam said.

Vincent Ng Wing-shun, a former president of the Hong Kong Institute of Architects, echoed the concern over the "wall effect" from the design. He also said it was old-fashioned.

"It is clearly an outdated image of Hong Kong. A sailing boat can no longer represent the city," he said.

Mr Ng agreed the "door" design would be more expensive than the "sailing boat".

"The gaps between the two sides of the block are quite wide and it will definitely cost more to build the supporting block across the middle," he said.

Another architect, who declined to be named, said this design might not use floor space efficiently.

"If one bureau is based on one side of the 'door' and the other on the other side, then staff have to go up to the top or down to the bottom to get to see each other," he said. "And this design means you will not have a big open space on each floor."

The head of architecture at the University of Hong Kong, Leslie Lu, agreed the "door" design would be more expensive. "A design that is out of the ordinary costs more," he said.

Mr Ng said the spacial efficiency was not a significant issue. "This can be easily solved through the distribution of offices among departments," he explained.

A government spokesman said all tenderers were required to conduct an air ventilation assessment to ensure that air flow would not be affected. Tamar will house a building for the chief executive's office and Executive Council, a new chamber for the Legislative Council and a building for lawmakers' offices and the Legco secretariat.

The government's timetable calls for the contract to be awarded this year and completed by 2010.

Old June 20th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #104
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Figures, I guess the SSC voters are like the general public.

I'm still for the sail design. I really dont like design A for some reason.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #105
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Another architect, who declined to be named, said this design might not use floor space efficiently.

"If one bureau is based on one side of the 'door' and the other on the other side, then staff have to go up to the top or down to the bottom to get to see each other," he said. "And this design means you will not have a big open space on each floor."
One good excuse to shut the doors.
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:31 PM   #106
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Figures, I guess the SSC voters are like the general public.

I'm still for the sail design. I really dont like design A for some reason.
But I still think that design D looks too uninteresting. I mean, buildings like that appear everywhere in the world, and we do need something more special I believe.

But then... the public is used to seeing that kind of boring architecture...
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:41 PM   #107
Aboveday

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninov View Post

LOL! well said.
Aboveday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #108
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Government on Tamar reports
Wednesday, June 20, 2007
Government Press Release

In response to some media's speculative report on the Tamar Development Project, a government spokesman gave the following response:

"Whilst the interest of the public and the media in this important project is fully appreciated and welcomed, the Government wishes to stress that it is of paramount importance that the integrity and fairness of the on-going tender evaluation be safeguarded. Thus, all relevant parties, including members of the media, are reminded to avoid any comments or moves that may prejudice or be perceived as prejudicing the fairness and integrity of the tender process and that reports on the project should as far as possible accord fair and equal treatment to the design proposals for each of the four tenderers. More specifically, speculations or suggestions that any particular tender proposal is in the lead may risk being perceived by some tenderers as prejudicing the outcome of the tender evaluation and may invite challenges from the parties concerned.

"All tender proposals are subject to the determination of the Special Selection Board for the Tamar Development Project. This sole authority for assessing the tenders and deciding on the contract award will assess the tender submissions in strict accordance to a comprehensive list of criteria set out in the tender document.

"The above points are made in good faith as the Government trust that the community is as keen as itself in striving to secure the best outcome for the tender."

Old July 7th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #109
paw25694
Batik

Likes (Received): 36

D and C, but i like D btter..
paw25694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #110
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Opinion : Tamar building could be envy of the world
11 July 2007
South China Morning Post

With regards to the Tamar site development, it is an opportunity for the government to do something extraordinary.

After so many years in the economic doldrums, our economy is starting to gain momentum and the government could make a bold statement with this development.

The Tamar site is one of the last prime locations and it has been argued that it could be made into a public space and this has been a cause of controversy.

However, if the administration really wants to develop this site into a government office, and if it is going to spend HK$4 billion on this project, then it might as well make it into an iconic building that Hong Kong people can be proud of.

Cities around the world have such buildings, for example the Sydney Opera House in Australia, the CCTV headquarters in Beijing, and the museum in Bilbao.

So what could we, as a world Asian city, offer to the region with this building at Tamar?

I do not believe that the designs presently on display, offer anything original. One of the suggested schemes is a reworking of the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, another resembles Norman Foster's world trade redevelopment competition entry.

The third design is the ubiquitous office block and I am also unimpressed by the fourth proposed building.

A great deal of effort and time has been invested in all these schemes.

However, in the architecture profession, recognition is given to the concept rather than presentation.

Originality only can come from a visionary leader not from a group of contractors who are too timid to invest in design excellence.

This administration tries to promote creativity, so the Tamar office development should make a statement that backs such creativity.

The government should take the lead to invite the best of the best to take part in the concept competition. Once the winner is chosen we can go ahead with a design-build contract.

The competition-winning design is then immutably fixed into the design-and-build contract. The design architect would be retained by the government to do more detailed plans and control the visual aspects of the new project.

This would ensure efficiency, in terms of time spent on and cost of the project, without compromising the overall design.

Instead, the government has skipped a step, by going straight to the builders and has not made this important design appointment.

Is this a sign of government complacency?

Chim Lim, Wan Chai

Old July 11th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #111
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninov View Post
But I still think that design D looks too uninteresting. I mean, buildings like that appear everywhere in the world, and we do need something more special I believe.

I welcome another design, just not design A, it looks like it has a gaping hole through it, what kind of light would a building like that show the government in?

Old July 11th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #112
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
I welcome another design, just not design A, it looks like it has a gaping hole through it, what kind of light would a building like that show the government in?

A truthful one...?
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #113
Aboveday

July 17, 2007
Development

Tamar development letter of intent issued

The Administration Wing has issued a non-binding letter of intent to Gammon-Hip Hing Joint Venture,(Design A) which has obtained the highest combined technical and price scores,) for the Tamar Development Project's design-and-build contract.

The project's special selection board, chaired by the Chief Secretary for Administration, has completed marking the four tenders received for the project against a comprehensive list of criteria set out in the tender document. The quality considerations take up 60% of the overall score and price considerations take up the remaining 40%.

The issue of the letter of intent does not necessarily mean that Gammon-Hip Hing will eventually be awarded the contract, as it is subject to the special selection board's final decision.

Planning permission

Under the approved Central (Extension) Outline Zoning Plan about two hectares of the site is designated as open space while 2.2 hectares is zoned for government, institution or community purposes.

To allow the tenderers to maximise their design creativity, the tender document provides that tenderers can propose a design that has part of the Central Government Complex or Legislative Council Complex encroaching upon the open space area. The prerequisite is that the provision of at least two hectares of public open space must not be compromised.

Since Gammon-Hip Hing's design involves encroachment of part of the complex onto the open space, it has to obtain permission from the Town Planning Board within seven months from the date of the letter of intent.

================================

政府就添馬艦工程發出意向書
2007年7月17日 HKT: 18:31
政府今日就添馬艦發展工程「設計及建造」合約,向金門--協興聯營發出了意向書,距離正式批出合約再邁進了一步。

政府發言人表示,添馬艦發展工程評審委員會就收到的四份標書,完成了評分。以金門--協興聯營得到最高的質素及價格總分。

評審委員會在評審標書時,考慮了招標文件中列出的一系列詳盡因素。有關質素方面的考慮佔總分的六成,其中包括設計和美感;規劃、可持續性和環境保護;以及功能和技術性的考慮。而價格方面的考慮因素,則佔總分的四成。

Last edited by Aboveday; July 17th, 2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old July 17th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #114
EricIsHim

I can't believe that design win the decision!!!!! Another eyesore.
Old July 17th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #115
kelw

Likes (Received): 0

Thank goodness the awful and tacky Design D didn't win. I was beginning to worry that would happen. Design A would look good along the harbour. I hope this decision becomes final.
kelw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #116
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboveday View Post
The issue of the letter of intent does not necessarily mean that Gammon-Hip Hing will eventually be awarded the contract, as it is subject to the special selection board's final decision.
I just read the whole thing again. It is actually not the final decision. Although the design is more favorable; but it is possible to be something else.
Old July 17th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #117
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Not a unique design indeed ... quite a bad symbol for HK.

Old July 17th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #118
Aboveday

Definality not a bad design for a government headquarter building.
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #119
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

I'd rather it be more traditional than this piece of garbage.

I dont like it at all... the hole makes me feel like the government is a hollow shell, without substance, so even a breath of wind can blow through...(of course i'm aware of other interpretations, but this is how it looks to me)

Old July 18th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #120
seven17

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I'd rather it be more traditional than this piece of garbage.

I dont like it at all... the hole makes me feel like the government is a hollow shell, without substance, so even a breath of wind can blow through...(of course i'm aware of other interpretations, but this is how it looks to me)
yeah, traditional...

I can't believe the Legislative Council Building looks like...nothing...compared to the current one.

They should think of getting an architect to design a Legco building that fuses Edwardian style with Chinese style architecture (like Government House, which does that with Japanese, British and I think Chinese). That would make HK really where "East meets West". At least make the Legco Building more distinct from everything else...its Hong Kong's legislature afterall. But, its not like the gov't would listen since they only gave Hkers 4 choices .
seven17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote