daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which proposal is the best
Design A 78 32.91%
Design B 6 2.53%
Design C 42 17.72%
Design D 95 40.08%
None of them 16 6.75%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 18th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #121
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboveday View Post
Definality not a bad design for a government headquarter building.
Hey dude looks like we're about the only ones who favoured this design above others!

Ahhh.... and we have Mr.Architect (vvill) supporting us too :P

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #122
Aboveday

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninov View Post
Hey dude looks like we're about the only ones who favoured this design above others!

Ahhh.... and we have Mr.Architect (vvill) supporting us too :P

Dont forget InitialD18!
Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialD18 View Post
the language of 1 is quite direct and relevant i think... it spells openness, transparent, framing hong kong ... actually think its quite different from cctv ... i like how the space is framed and how the grass deck reaches out ... however the grass deck might be a little too big if you have to cross under it ... very modern ...
Aboveday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #123
allan_dude
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Yahoo design A won! i voted before reading the results. Indeed it looks fabulous!
allan_dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #124
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Bad choice.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #125
Rachmaninov

why?
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #126
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

^ Because it's a wasted opportunity to build a much more attractive and popular building (design D).
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #127
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Indeed... sigh...

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #128
vvill

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
I'd rather it be more traditional than this piece of garbage.

I dont like it at all... the hole makes me feel like the government is a hollow shell, without substance, so even a breath of wind can blow through...(of course i'm aware of other interpretations, but this is how it looks to me)
this is really down to your own personal interpretation - obviosuly no design can satisfy everyone and indeed, it gives people a sense of openness and allows wind to channel through the hole which is positive for the area.

design A is by far superior to the rest though it isn't perfect really - say for the LEGCO building - i appreciate it being how it looks like externally but im sure it'll feel rather claustrophobic being inside the debating chamber and it's a bit odd having square tables for the round hall anyway - hopefully they'll give a bit more thought when they refine the design. scottish parliament is a great starting point and furnitures in the debating hall are designed to complement the architecture.

also it's nice for a hk practice to win the project and if they really end up doing a great job with the building - it may help raising international recognition of hk local architects - and indeed rocco's the best in terms of design atm. (1 peking road / citibank tower / macau's star galaxy hotel / tst mall - former hyatt regency)

glad design D wasn't chosen in the end though - or we're gonna get one tacky addition to our skyline...
vvill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #129
Aboveday

TOTAL VICTORY!

Old July 18th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #130
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

It's just funny how our responses are in two extremes. A or D, then either completely hate or love one of the others. I totally agree with vvill it's really a personal point of view in how to read the designs.

For this winning design, I don't see it being open but high above. The Executive Branch is sitting high above ground representing it has more power than the judicial and legislative branches. HK gov't is supposed to have the "checks and balances" system according to the Basic Law in words, not leading by the Executive Branch as interpreted by the People Congress in voice.

Another big thing I dislike it is its shape. It is too rectangular. Yes, from up close, there is an opening under the building, something difference; but I think it looks too similar to the CCTV tower in Beijing. And if you view from the side and/or far, it's just another big box building sitting at the harbour front. Even straight across from TST promenade, I doubt the opening stands out either as Admiralty Centre sits right behind it. The building doesn't stand out in the skyline. I am not looking for something high like 2IFC, but something not rectangular box like the AIG buidling but still stands out and unique. And I do question how well the openings can lead airflow in the area as it sit just meters in front of another building.

Anyways, the government has made its choice, but I do want to know how the decision was made base on what requirements. (Even I am still very unhappy with the choice.)

Last edited by EricIsHim; July 18th, 2007 at 09:18 PM.
EricIsHim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #131
vvill

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
It's just funny how our responses are in two extremes. A or D, then either completely hate or love one of the others. I totally agree with vvill it's really a personal point of view in how to read the designs.

For this winning design, I don't see it being open but high above. The Executive Branch is sitting high above ground representing it has more power than the judicial and legislative branches. HK gov't is supposed to have the "checks and balances" system according to the Basic Law in words, not leading by the Executive Branch as interpreted by the People Congress in voice.

Another big thing I dislike it is its shape. It is too rectangular. Yes, from up close, there is an opening under the building, something difference; but I think it looks too similar to the CCTV tower in Beijing. And if you view from the side and/or far, it's just another big box building sitting at the harbour front. Even straight across from TST promenade, I doubt the opening stands out either as Admiralty Centre sits right behind it. The building doesn't stand out in the skyline. I am not looking for something high like 2IFC, but something not rectangular box like the AIG buidling but still stands out and unique. And I do question how well the openings can lead airflow in the area as it sit just meters in front of another building.

Anyways, the government has made its choice, but I do want to know how the decision was made base on what requirements. (Even I am still very unhappy with the choice.)
i think it'll actually be quite a nice and unique building when it's built. i mean certainly it's not gonna be as fancy as the CCTV in beijing because they're playing with the structure and cantilever there and the floor space won't end up being efficient at all (which clearly isn't what hk government is after) while the tamar design is just a simple spanning structure at the top which is not overdone but still unique in its own sense.

to be honest, all they've done in AIG is just by tappering one side of the building so that it looks a bit more dynamic - and certainly they've put a lot more effort into the government hq than that...

for a government bldg - there's definitely a huge improvement compared to the very awful central library. =.=
vvill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #132
kelw

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Actually, the Chief Executive's office is not located at the top of the main building. It's inside the short building across the lawn from the Legislative Council chamber. The main building is where the civil servants work.
kelw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #133
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvill View Post
for a government bldg - there's definitely a huge improvement compared to the very awful central library. =.=
indeed, it is a big step forward, especially the "selection" process.
i would like to see more and more of these in the future.
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #134
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelw View Post
Actually, the Chief Executive's office is not located at the top of the main building. It's inside the short building across the lawn from the Legislative Council chamber. The main building is where the civil servants work.
the Executive Branch is more than just the CE office.
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #135
kelw

Quote:
the Executive Branch is more than just the CE office.
The CE and all the executive council staff are in the short building, not the tall one. The complex was deliberately designed to form a "symmetrical balance" between the executive and the legislature. The civil service, which is distinct from either branches, occupies the main tall building in the middle.
kelw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #136
Pax Sinica
Rise of SERES

A looks great with grass and huge space on street level. The fat junk in D is kind of bulky, and his elliptical ball makes me sick. It is a chicken egg, not a pearl.
http://www.tamar.gov.hk/proposal/d/screen1.jpg
Pax Sinica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #137
jose_kwan
HKer @ Bay Area

i think the design looks like the city call ...
like bauhaus-esque ...
jose_kwan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #138
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboveday View Post
TOTAL VICTORY!

Wow that design is so damn ugly. What happened to the "sail?" That was much better looking.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #139
Aboveday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax Sinica View Post
A looks great with grass and huge space on street level. The fat junk in D is kind of bulky, and his elliptical ball makes me sick. It is a chicken egg, not a pearl.
http://www.tamar.gov.hk/proposal/d/screen1.jpg
Thank God,that fat jank has sunk off Victoria Harbour with that ugly egg.LOL!!!
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #140
Rachmaninov

I might have liked D more than now if they didn't have that ugly egg... but still I like design A most anyway.