daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which proposal is the best
Design A 78 32.91%
Design B 6 2.53%
Design C 42 17.72%
Design D 95 40.08%
None of them 16 6.75%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 20th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #141
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Perhaps the HK Gov't wanna use the way as Paris for two Arches Structure on both coastal line of the Victroria Harbour!!!

-- Note: I voted Plan B in this thread.

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #142
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Ugh, I'd rather it be B than A...

Another thing I don't like about A is how it keeps getting compared to the CCTV building in Beijing, but as someone mentioned, not as "grand"...

great, so now our government can't even compare to Beijing's TV station?! And why can't Hong Kong have a building in it's own character, rather than a copy of another building?

The Beijing one looks more stylish too, this one looks like some kid playing with blocks, and plopped them onto each other...

Aesthetically, symbolically, metaphorically, and creatively speaking... this building fails...

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #143
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
It's just funny how our responses are in two extremes. A or D, then either completely hate or love one of the others. I totally agree with vvill it's really a personal point of view in how to read the designs.
I noticed the two extremes too, now I'm not so sure about D, I liked it more than the other ones, but it wasn't the best that HK could get, but certainly A is no good.

Quote:
For this winning design, I don't see it being open but high above. The Executive Branch is sitting high above ground representing it has more power than the judicial and legislative branches. HK gov't is supposed to have the "checks and balances" system according to the Basic Law in words, not leading by the Executive Branch as interpreted by the People Congress in voice.
I haven't looked at it this way, but in a way, you can see the IFC, BoC, etc standing high above it, in Hong Kong, money rules!

Quote:
The building doesn't stand out in the skyline. I am not looking for something high like 2IFC, but something not rectangular box like the AIG buidling but still stands out and unique. And I do question how well the openings can lead airflow in the area as it sit just meters in front of another building.
It will allow airflow to the road right behind it, no doubt... I agree with you, I love the way the AIG building is. I don't need it to be radical like the BoC building was, but something better than another old block...

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #144
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17796

Legco seeks $20m in Tamar move
26 July 2007
Hong Kong Standard

The Legislative Council is seeking a one-off HK$20 million grant from public coffers to set up a task force to monitor the construction of the Legco complex at Tamar, the president of the legislature said yesterday.

Rita Fan Hsu Lai-tai said after a Legislative Council Commission closed- door meeting that members had agreed the money would be spent to ensure everything _ from the design of the future chamber to its chairs _ met their requirements.

The team will also oversee the entire moving arrangements from the Legco building in Central to the future waterfront site in Wan Chai.

Most members of the seven-strong task force will be chosen from the Legco secretariat staff because of their familiarity and experience with legislative procedures, said secretariat assistant secretary-general Pauline Ng Man- wah. The team will be led by an assistant secretary-general while an outside architect will be hired.

Ng said the work of the task force will take place in two stages _ from March 2008 to September 2009 and from October 2009 to December 2011.

The application for funding approval will be sought by September.

City University political analyst James Sung Lap-kung accused Legco of asking for too much.

``I don't think this is a wise way to spend public money,'' Sung said.

He said problems could be minimized by legislators strengthening communication with the government's administrative wing, which was already focusing on improving its working relationship with Legco.

Chinese University political analyst Ma Ngok said the funding application was a reasonable request even though it reflected mistrust between Legco and the government.

The Democratic Party's Fred Li Wah-ming said the money is needed to ensure the smooth opening of the new Legco building in 2011.

``We want to ensure nothing goes wrong,'' said Li, a commission member, noting that Legco has a high level of transparency in dealing with money matters.

Li added that a few hundred thousand dollars alone will needed to pay for the government-assigned architect.

The government last week issued a nonbinding letter of intent to the Gammon-Hip Hing joint venture _ one of four bidders for the Tamar development _ after the venture obtained the highest combined technical and price scores. The controversial HK$5.2 billion project is expected to be completed in 2011.

Apart from the main SAR government office building, the project includes construction of a new Legco chamber as well as a building for the secretariat and lawmakers.

The new Legco complex will be a cone-shaped building wrapped in glass, with a lily pond flanking a dining hall.

Fan also said Legco will apply for an extra HK$14.9 million of recurrent funding in the next legislative year to make contract staff from various divisions _ including legal services, council business and public information _ to become permanent.

She said the money will also be spent on hiring extra staff to share the increasing work burden, in particular that of translators.

Fan added the vehicles for Legco's president and secretariat chief will also be changed in April.

She said the existing chairs inside the chamber _ more than 80 _ will be changed. Some lawmakers claim the chairs are giving them back pain.

The new chairs will cost around HK$3,300 each, or in total about HK$250,000.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #145
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Tsang brothers team up on Tamar project
19 July 2007
South China Morning Post

It is an open secret that Chief Executive Donald Tsang Yam-kuen is extremely keen to see the new government headquarters complex at the Tamar site get off the ground. Now, with the selection of a Gammon-Hip Hing joint venture for the project, his brother is also a major stakeholder. Former police commissioner Tsang Yam-pui is executive director of New World Service Holdings, of which Hip Hing Construction is a member. Both are under the umbrella of New World Development. Aside from his management expertise, pundits are suggesting the younger Tsang's police background could be a big help in security aspects of the complex, a matter dear to the government's heart. If all goes smoothly, the new headquarters could emerge as the joint signature project of the Tsang brothers when it is completed in 2011. The choice of the joint venture's towering, arch-shaped design, known as The Door, was announced on Tuesday.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old July 29th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #146
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Well if we can't have D then at least A is the second best design. B was just so bland and forgettable and C looked positively ugly and even sinister.

I think it's nicer than the Arche de la Defense in Paris. It's not as exciting as the CCTV building in Beijing but it has a better location.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 10:11 AM   #147
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

It sure isn't anywhere as exciting as the CCTV Tower but I'm quite sure that if the CCTV Tower was to be built in HK as the HK gov headquarters they would say it's too expensive and have the plan rejected anyway.
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:26 PM   #148
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninov View Post
It sure isn't anywhere as exciting as the CCTV Tower but I'm quite sure that if the CCTV Tower was to be built in HK as the HK gov headquarters they would say it's too expensive and have the plan rejected anyway.
Hong Kong become Tokyo, you just can't build anything nowaday.
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:34 PM   #149
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Gov. headquarter requires requesting funding from the LegCo to spend tax money in the reserve. If it's way too expensive, the LegCo can reject the proposal for its cost. Unlike privately funded project which can build whatever they want as long as it's legal.
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #150
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Both government and private sector projects come under heavy economic constraints. But to justify huge funding for a new government HQ, they must do it when the economy is doing well (ie. now) and start putting the shovels into the ground before the cycle changes.

Old August 5th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #151
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Enter HK's controversial Door
Vince Chong, Hong Kong Correspondent
23 July 2007
Straits Times

THE Hong Kong administration has finally unveiled a winning design for a controversial HK$5.2 billion (S$1billion) government headquarters at the waterfront Tamar site, next to the famed Victoria Harbour.

The towering design, known as 'The Door', marked a strong start to Hong Kong Chief Executive Donald Tsang's second leadership term, which he began just this month after a landslide re-election win in March.

The approved design has also been seen as a symbol of political determination, following setbacks suffered by city officials in recent years over key proposals such as a goods and services tax (GST) and a giant cultural hub, which were shot down by strong dissenting voices.

'The Door', which was chosen last Tuesday from four contenders, marked an overcoming of detractors who had long complained about the city's high building density that has led to more traffic congestion, narrow streets which trap street pollution, and the lack of green, open space within the city.

Pollution is a big issue in Hong Kong, and has been blamed for the departures of foreign talent, especially those with young families.

A contract to build the headquarters - a building for the Chief Executive's Office and Executive Council, a new chamber for the Legislative Council and a building for lawmakers and the Legco secretariat - will be awarded this year, following further scrutiny of the design.

Work is expected to be completed by 2010.

The project in the prime district - first mooted by Hong Kong's first chief executive Tung Chee Hwa in 1998 - has taken a decade to get off the ground.

The then HK$4.85 billion project was subsequently shelved in 2003, with the city's economy crippled in quick succession by the 1997-98 Asian financial crisis, the Sept 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in the United States, and the 2003 Sars outbreak.

When Mr Tsang took over as Chief Executive in 2005, he revived the plan as the city began to experience economic recovery.

It is estimated that the Tamar project will help create some 30,000 jobs in the construction sector.

However, opposition from some sceptical lawmakers, as well as environmental and conservation activists, further delayed the project, with some calling it a 'white elephant' and a waste of taxpayers' money.

Unlike other more controversial proposals, however, the government managed to push this one through after convincing the public and lawmakers that it would do its best to ensure that the structure coexists with its environment, and not spoil it.

In finally obtaining legislative votes last year, officials pledged that the public's views would be heeded with the reduction of the project's height and density. Detractors were also assured that the project would have no long-term environmental impact.

A public consultation on the final Tamar designs attracted some 13,000 views - from people who filled in comment cards on the designs - which were said to have contributed to deciding the winning blueprint, though these have yet to be released by the government.

The proposals for the GST - to be tentatively set at 5 per cent - and a cultural hub did not even reach legislative voting, because of public opposition.

Many feared the proposed tax would erode Hong Kong's competitiveness as a shopping hub. Others were against a cultural hub project being tendered to a single private developer, which would have stood to gain from the profitable residential and commercial space that was included in the project.

City University professor James Sung said a key factor for the approval of the controversial Tamar project has been Mr Tsang's re-electionwin.

'He just started a fresh leadership, and this has given him more of a mandate to see through this project,' he said.

Ironically though, architects told The Straits Times, the debate between activists and officials has 'compromised' design quality.

'It has to be conservative now in order to please both the public and officials, most of whom know nothing about architecture,' said Hong Kong University architecture professor Lee Ho Yin, noting that 'The Door' resembles an 'outdated' French design made famous two decades ago.

'It is such a waste as the project could have been an iconic landmark like the Sydney Opera House or the CCTV Tower in Beijing.'

Old August 11th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #152
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Tamar plan keeps the public away
Design for headquarters gives the chief executive an exclusive entrance

11 August 2007
South China Morning Post

The public will not use the same entrance as officials at the new government headquarters at Tamar, a detailed design unveiled for public consultation yesterday shows.

An exclusive entrance, on a different street from the public entrance, will be reserved for Chief Executive Donald Tsang Yam-kuen and other designated VIPs.

Critics said the design was not public-friendly and questioned the absence of a demonstration area for protesters.

But security experts said the arrangement had been made to minimise risks that might arise from public protests.

The government issued a letter of intent to Gammon-Hip Hing Joint Venture last month, and the company submitted its detailed design of "The Door" project to the Town Planning Board on Monday.

The design was released yesterday for a three-week public consultation, after which the board will discuss it for two months.

The developer's statement said no parking facilities would be provided for the general public. The public and the press would use a drop-off area, next to the East Wing of the government complex on Tim Mei Avenue, and would have to go through a security check on the ground floor.

The officials' entrance on Tim Wa Avenue is at least 150 metres away.

The master layout plan also shows that the low-rise office block, where the chief executive will work on the third floor, is surrounded by pools and a landscaped island. It is four storeys high plus one storey below ground.

Other officials will work in the higher office block - 27 storeys plus two storeys below ground. The planning statement said an open space would provide access to the public 24 hours a day.

The plan does not show an area for gatherings and protests, nor the underground pathway linking the Legislative Council building with the government complex, as suggested earlier in the tender document.

But a government spokesman said it would later come up with special arrangements for large-scale activities or rallies, as well as staff and public access, with consideration given to the operational and security needs that are appropriate for a government headquarters.

Human Rights Monitor director Law Yuk-kai wondered whether the complex, even if it were accessible to all, would be as open as the existing headquarters.

"My feeling is that the design as a whole is very unfriendly to protesters," he said.

"[Government officials] can keep their ears shut and eyes blindfolded. It would make them immune to public influences."

Medical constituency legislator Kwok Ka-ki agreed: "They are building this moat, a body of water, like medieval castles in Europe. I am worried that this moat will be used like a barrier."

Political analyst Ma Ngok, of Chinese University, said the so-called public engagement had been a slogan. "The administration has always been selective in communicating with the public," he said, adding that the exclusive entrance simply "fits their long-serving practice".

But Glenn Tracey, managing director of security firm G4S Holdings, said locating the chief executive's office on a low floor with an exclusive entrance was probably to ensure easy evacuation. It would also help keep demonstrators isolated at another location of the complex.

Democratic Party member James To Kun-sun said a chief executive can always find ways to avoid facing protesters or receiving petitions, even under the existing arrangements. "It depends on the chief executive and whether he himself has the will to meet the public," he said.

Old August 12th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #153
hkskyline
Hong Kong

'The Door' has little impact on air flow
11 August 2007
South China Morning Post

Hailed as the best among the four designs submitted to the government, "The Door" also proved to have little impact on urban air flow, a study commissioned by the winning developer, Gammon-Hip Hing Joint Venture, said.

But the new government headquarters at Tamar might affect the air quality of areas to the south of it, including Queensway, because of reduced wind speed. It said the reduction was insignificant and the conditions met the government's technical guideline that the wind speed of the surrounding area should exceed 1.5 metres per second 50 per cent of the time.

Wind-tunnel testing was done to measure the change of wind speed at pedestrian level throughout the site and the surrounding area. It was based on long-term statistics recorded at the Waglan Island station and a study by the University of Science and Technology.

Results show places along Harcourt Road, such as Harcourt Garden and the Drake Street bus depot, will have a higher wind speed, which dilutes air pollutants. The deflected wind flow channelled around the new buildings of the government and the Legislative Council complexes caused the stronger wind.

But the development will lower the wind speed of places along Queensway, such as the public transport interchange at Admiralty. The situation is particularly serious in winter, during north or northeast winds.

Within the site, several places are identified as stagnant zones.

But the study said development designs were amended to minimise wind problems. The permeability of the design allowed northerly winds to maintain the breezeways between the waterfront and the Harcourt Garden area.

Central and Western District councillor Kam Nai-wai said leaving Tamar as a green, open space was the most desirable option.

Old August 19th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #154
Duopolis
Hong Kong lover

Likes (Received): 1

I like the winning design, though Libeskind's one was much better. The final one looks too much like CCTV HQ in Beijing.
Old August 19th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #155
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duopolis View Post
I like the winning design, though Libeskind's one was much better. The final one looks too much like CCTV HQ in Beijing.
The final one is the winning one.
Old August 19th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #156
Anekdote

Likes (Received): 29

Umm.. why Design A..?
It doesn't fit to Hong Kong's skyline. The park design is park, but not the building.
Anekdote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #157
Motyv
METROPOLIS - 3CITY

Likes (Received): 1

Design D was the best of them

Last edited by Motyv; September 24th, 2007 at 01:23 PM.
Motyv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #158
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

From news.gov.hk:
Joint venture wins Tamar project

-- We've waiting this for a long time.
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:08 AM   #159
spicytimothy
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...

Likes (Received): 7

so very disappointed :-(