daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 17th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #1681
tbynoe

Likes (Received): 0

Give em a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
About three weeks ago, I purchased 4 apples for $7.68.

There were indeed a generous size. I am not an apple afficianado so I cannot speak to how exotic the variety, but I was completly appalled at my total.

I have not returned.

Although I may shortly for one of these dry aged steaks....
I think you HT haters are blowing the whole pricing issue out of proportion. Not sure what kind of apples you got, but you can definitely buy 5lb bags of normal apples for $4. I think paying a small premium for some items over Shopper's prices is justified by the fact that it's a nice, clean store with helpful employees and fresh meat/fish/produce that you don't have to think twice about.

The fact that they've been sending the weekly $10 coupons (which has forced Shoppers to retaliate) is even better for us as consumers; plus, their $20 RX deal is amazing as well. HT is definitely a great addition to the area for all, regardless of whether you decide to shop there or not.
tbynoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 17th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #1682
atct86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbynoe View Post
I think you HT haters are blowing the whole pricing issue out of proportion. Not sure what kind of apples you got, but you can definitely buy 5lb bags of normal apples for $4. I think paying a small premium for some items over Shopper's prices is justified by the fact that it's a nice, clean store with helpful employees and fresh meat/fish/produce that you don't have to think twice about.

The fact that they've been sending the weekly $10 coupons (which has forced Shoppers to retaliate) is even better for us as consumers; plus, their $20 RX deal is amazing as well. HT is definitely a great addition to the area for all, regardless of whether you decide to shop there or not.
I don't mind the higher prices at all, since the produce lasts longer and is fresher and more ripe the day I buy it. I think its a very easy store to get in and out of, also. I think most of the issue is that Shoppers is the cheapest grocery store around; and really should be compared with Teeter, Superfresh, etc. In my mind its more in line with wal-mart's grocery store.
atct86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #1683
tbynoe

Westport

Anyone know what the deal is with Westport? I haven't been able to find any recent news about it. There was a bunch of hype about it in the news last year and I could have sworn they were supposed to start infrastructure work shortly after Cirque left.

Is this development dead at the moment? If so, it's a shame. I was looking forward to the connection between it and S. Hanover (the bridge/bike path/park idea) seemed really cool and a great way to connect it to SoBo.
tbynoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #1684
cgunna
Sons of Blood and Thunder

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:

lol at HT haters
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #1685
Dirk Ironside

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Anyone know what the deal is with Westport? I haven't been able to find any recent news about it. There was a bunch of hype about it in the news last year and I could have sworn they were supposed to start infrastructure work shortly after Cirque left.

Is this development dead at the moment? If so, it's a shame. I was looking forward to the connection between it and S. Hanover (the bridge/bike path/park idea) seemed really cool and a great way to connect it to SoBo.
Besides the application for that tall sculpture, the only things I have heard announced were an apartment building (which Landex says is on indefinite hold) and the possibility of a hotel/soccer stadium (which is obviously highly speculative). Until the TIF bonds are sold and infrastructure goes in, I wouldn't hold your breath (there are too many easier/better/cheaper sites available these days).
Dirk Ironside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #1686
FrankieSez

Quote:

They are sending out coupons to get people used to shopping there. I don't think anyone has said they are UNhappy the store is there, just that as a discriminating consumer, is a 25% premium worth paying to not have to deal with cashiers who talk to each other about customers as if those customers are not still at the register. That pharmacy deal is great if you don't mind paying 30-40% more than most places for your prescription meds.

Produce/Meat/Fish I'm with you. Their organic stuff is an improvement from Shoppers Mutant Warehouse. As stated above, I don't mind making a second trip to NOT pay $7 for a can of nuts.
FrankieSez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #1687
KLynch

Likes (Received): 184

I went in to HT yesterday and just looked at some price comparison. Some of the things I get, for instance the Iced Tea i like, is cheaper at HT. I think HT has some nicer products that are more expensive, and clearly upgraded produce and prepared foods.

Bottom line for me, is it's nice to have both of them because they'll have to adjust to what the market allows.
KLynch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #1688
ajf127

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch View Post
I think HT has some nicer products that are more expensive, and clearly upgraded produce and prepared foods.

Bottom line for me, is it's nice to have both of them because they'll have to adjust to what the market allows.
Exactly. HT has a lot of things I like to buy that Shoppers just doesn't carry. Illy coffee for example. The only other places I know of in Baltimore to get Illy coffee are at the Illy coffee store in the Intercontinental Hotel building or at Afters (which doesn't sell it to take home). It's nice to have a store so close by that sells premium products such as this. This, in my opinion, is the best part of having HT. It simply has things that can't be bought anywhere else in the area.

Last edited by ajf127; February 17th, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
ajf127 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #1689
KLynch

Got some good info from Chesapeake Realty.

The New Look of Wells St.

Wells St., because of the geographical boundaries formed by the CSX train tracks, is at the back end of Federal Hill/SoBo. And let me say, “back end” is a great way to describe it based on the way it has looked for at least the last ten years. It consisted of a stamping and enameling building that was a boarded up wall of blight, an old block-long slaughter house that was half torn down with a forest of weeds and a castle with bricked-up or frosted out windows. Let’s be honest, the area looked horrible and didn’t help the image of one of the safest areas in Baltimore.

Today Wells St. is a completely different story. That boarded up stamping and enameling building became 101 Wells, the old slaughter house is set to become 1901 South Charles Street and plans are in the works for a brewery pub at the bricked-up old castle. The National Federation for the Blind even put a shiny new addition on their building facing Wells St. There is also a great new bar, Hersh’s Pizza and Drinks, on Light St. that faces Wells St. What was once the ugly part of town is now becoming a center for action.

Josh Fidler of Chesapeake Realty Partners, the developers of 1901 South Charles Street, joined me so I could get all the latest on this big new project. The development will be a Class A apartment building with 193 residential units and 290 parking spots. The building will be approximately 60% 1-bedroom units and 40% two-bedroom units.

So busting out the calculator, that’s about 116 1-bedroom units and 77 two-bedroom units. So when it comes to parking, that is 290 parking spots for approximately 270 bedrooms. Sure there will probably be some couples in 1-bedroom units, but there will also probably be some tenants without cars – who can utilize the building’s first floor bike room – or who can ride the Circulator or bus to downtown or Harbor East.

Additionally when it comes to parking, they have created a new street called Winder St., which runs behind 1901 South Charles St. There will be car charging stations on this street as well as potential parking spots for the general public. In other good parking news, Marshall St. will be extended down the east side of the building which will also creating parking spots. Residents of the 1900 block of Light St. will now have car access to their back alley. With 13 houses on the 1900 block, 13 parking spots could be created. All Wells St. and Charles St. parking will remain intact and we should pick up a few extra spots as a few on Wells St. that were previously blocked for old entrances to the slaughter house will open. So I, like many of you who worried about the parking ramifications of this building, should rest assured that Chesapeake Realty Partners have really done a great job of easing that situation.

Update: Area 30 Parking’s Facebook Page is reporting that they will charge $100 per space. We’ll keep a close eye on this and it’s effects on street parking.

Now that I addressed parking, I know many of you will finish the article and avoid throwing your laptop and calling Councilman Cole. So let’s continue… 1901 South Charles Street will be a luxury Class A building. Prices will range from $1200/month for a 475-square foot 1-bedroom to $2200 a month for a 2-bedroom loft with stunning skyline views. You can expect units to have luxury-level features. The building will also feature a very large furnished courtyard, demonstration kitchen, art gallery, yoga room, fitness center and first floor bike storage room.

1901 South Charles Street expects to have a presence in the area starting this spring. They will sponsor softball teams as well as some events at Riverside Park. The units will begin leasing this summer with the first tenants expected by the end of the summer. At that point, it will take 4-5 months to launch the remainder of the building.

As many of you have seen and stressed out about, the building has a HUD sign in the front of it. Have no worries, however, as this is a Class A, market-rate building. This building has been financed by HUD, similar to many of the nicest buildings in the city.

The other property on Wells St. that appears close to development is the old Pabst’s Castle on the corner of Wells St. and Charles St. There are currently plans for a brewery and pub by the owners of Red Brick Station in White Marsh. The pub will feature German-style long picnic tables, as well as an outdoor seating area in the nook the building has along Wells St. As of the SBNA meeting on 2/7 , they are in process of applying for a restaurant license, have not yet had their zoning approved and have not been licensed to brew beer. So you can expect some neighborhood resistance to this new spot – the 1800 block of Charles St. already petitioned the neighbors when an attempt to move Baja Beach Club’s liquor license to the property and parking is an ongoing concern. We’ll see what happens!

The remaining undeveloped properties on Wells St. are the old McCall office and warehouse across the street from 1901 South Charles St. and a plumbing supplies warehouse on Charles St. across from 1901 South Charles Street. Both are currently utilized. We’ll see if those are eventually converted to mixed-use development – but one thing is for sure, their property values are about to go up!

http://southbmore.com/the-new-look-of-wells-st/
Old February 18th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #1690
SoBoRez

Quote:
Originally Posted by atct86 View Post
I don't mind the higher prices at all, since the produce lasts longer and is fresher and more ripe the day I buy it. I think its a very easy store to get in and out of, also. I think most of the issue is that Shoppers is the cheapest grocery store around; and really should be compared with Teeter, Superfresh, etc. In my mind its more in line with wal-mart's grocery store.
At least Shoppers and Giant don't require your driver's license to get better prices. Must be a Carolina thing.
SoBoRez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #1691
ajf127

Likes (Received): 5

Not sure if this has already been mentioned in the thread, but I was at Spoons grabbing a coffee today and the upstairs apparently has been open for about a month and a half. Apparently it was never finished so they finally decided to get it done. Also, the downstairs has been laid out better with tables added to the old main entrance section, and the main entrance moved down to the other door. Bar seating has also been added at the counter.

I also tried Taco Spot and thought it was delicious. That place is very spacious, I was surprised. I'm sure it's a zoo after last call on the weekends.
ajf127 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #1692
KLynch

They are also applying for a liquor license, which appears to be Fed Hill Lounge's old license. maybe that will involve one of the properties to the left or right of them on Charles.

http://www.baltimorecity.gov/Governm...uary-2012.aspx
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #1693
KLynch

The bar across the street from Bill's, Leon's Bar, has been closed for a while. Not sure if it's being sold, but usually when a bar is barely open anymore it's a good sign and ownership change is coming. The people that go in that bar are good guys, but some of the neighborhood losers would hang out outside it a good amount. So it would be nice to have that gone.
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #1694
KLynch

oops, wrong forum
Old February 21st, 2012, 05:44 PM   #1695
SoBoMD

Looks like the Taco Spot is closed from 2/20 - TBD for expansion.
SoBoMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 06:06 PM   #1696
jtnicholas

What's going on with The Reserve? I saw something on FB that they were closing, but it sounded temporary. The post was pretty ambiguous.
jtnicholas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 07:49 PM   #1697
atct86

Any news regarding whats going in next to Taco Spot on Charles st?
Old February 21st, 2012, 08:17 PM   #1698
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 937

Quote:
Originally Posted by atct86 View Post
Any news regarding whats going in next to Taco Spot on Charles st?
The owners of Taco Spot/Reserve are opening a tequila bar. I think it will be separate but somehow connected to the Taco Spot.
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 08:18 PM   #1699
atct86

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
The owners of Taco Spot/Reserve are opening a tequila bar. I think it will be separate but somehow connected to the Taco Spot.
Interesting. I did not know they were related.

I thought taco spot was really good, but there was way too much seating room, with very few customers.
Old February 21st, 2012, 08:33 PM   #1700
KLynch

Taco Spot is trying to transfer a liquor license which I believe is the old Fed Hill Lounge, not sure if they are taking one of the additional spots to their left or right. Looks like changes at Reserve as well. Trying to get more info!

Federal Hill has too many restaurants for places to be changing their menu over and over again. Get it right at the beginning, and make small changes!

Tags
development summary