daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #1781
dogpark
wishing for a dogpark

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfd103 View Post
You mean the one that a single ladder truck couldn't possibly stop?
It still had to be addressed - it grew to 3 alarms. I was home when it occurred, heard it blow, went up to the deck to see, heard all the sirens etc. It could have been worse if resources were further away.

According to a BFD friend, the primary roll of the truck is to ventilate the fire so it burns up instead of over; engines supply water to put the fire out, rescue/medic is self explanatory.

I'm not looking for an argument, just want the Locust Point firehouse to remain as staffed. A truck is a good thing to have in a well populated rowhome neighborhood.
dogpark no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 20th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #1782
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
It still had to be addressed - it grew to 3 alarms. I was home when it occurred, heard it blow, went up to the deck to see, heard all the sirens etc. It could have been worse if resources were further away.

According to a BFD friend, the primary roll of the truck is to ventilate the fire so it burns up instead of over; engines supply water to put the fire out, rescue/medic is self explanatory.

I'm not looking for an argument, just want the Locust Point firehouse to remain as staffed. A truck is a good thing to have in a well populated rowhome neighborhood.
Don't get me wrong, I want it to stay in Locust Point as well...I just can't muster up enough of an argument if the budget can't support it. Maybe closing the station on Light st in Federal Hill would be a better solution.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:28 PM   #1783
dogpark
wishing for a dogpark

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfd103 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I want it to stay in Locust Point as well...I just can't muster up enough of an argument if the budget can't support it. Maybe closing the station on Light st in Federal Hill would be a better solution.
Its a well worn tactic of the city to threaten police/fire cuts when they "need" more money. Yes, money is tight for everybody these days - how about a real audit of the city? Something public in laymen's terms so all can see where the money goes. As taxpayers, its our money.
Old May 1st, 2012, 03:51 PM   #1784
Symblized

Likes (Received): 0

Old CVS at Patapsco & Fort

The old CVS at the corner of Fort Ave. and Patapsco St. is scheduled to be demolished beginning May 10. There's a notice on the Fort Ave. side of the building. The demolition permit is a 30 day permit, and according to guys at the building today, the footers for the new rowhouses will be in by July. The builders hope to have residents moved into the five rowhouses facing Fort Ave. by Christmas.
Symblized no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #1785
atct86

Does anyone know why there is sand all over the streets in South Baltimore, especially around fort ave?
atct86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:08 AM   #1786
GrayMatter
Throw some Boh's

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by atct86 View Post
Does anyone know why there is sand all over the streets in South Baltimore, especially around fort ave?
GrayMatter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #1787
hobbygeek

They've removed the surface of the tennis courts in Latrobe Park, and it looked like they were completely covered with white gravel or sand when I came home from work earlier this week. I didn't get a close up view because I was driving by on Andre, but that's what it looked like. Maybe that has something to do with it.
hobbygeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #1788
dogpark
wishing for a dogpark

Quote:
Originally Posted by atct86 View Post
There was sand left over from all the brick patio work at Riverside Park. also, 402 E Fort got a completely new 2 course brick facade (just like they used to make them ~100 years ago, not brick veneer like modern construction) and this left a lot of sand on that block.
Old May 10th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #1789
KLynch

Likes (Received): 183

Light street was absolutely covered on Monday, had to have been a truck badly spilling sand. Ridiculous how sloppy the construction industry can be some times. There are some good ones out there, there are also a lot who illegal dump out the wazoo, trash sites, and don't keep an eye on the littering of their workers!
KLynch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #1790
SoBo

Likes (Received): 5

McHenry Row to Hold Grand Opening Events

http://baltimorerealestate.citybizli...ng-Events.aspx

May 7, 2012

McHenry Row will host a Grand Opening event to celebrate Baltimore's newest multi-use project, featuring stores, restaurants, and apartment residences, on Saturday, May 12, 2012 starting at 3 p.m.

The event will be at 1580 Key Highway in Locust Point at Whetstone Way & Fort Avenue.

The opening parade will be lead by N-Full Motion, a 25-piece band from Windsor Mill High School, and also feature a fire truck and a variety of entertainers including a clown, stilt walker/unicylist, a juggler, magician, and some of the Ravens cheerleaders including Po, the Ravens' mascot.

The Street Festival goes from 3:00 - 7:00 p.m. and will include exhibits, giveaways, prizes, food and beer tastings. Afterwards, Blatant Eighties will host a free concert at the Water Tower from 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
SoBo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #1791
atct86

Does anyone have any pictures of the old form stone building on fort ave coming down?
atct86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #1792
KLynch

So the sand was put down because a vehicle was leaking fuel
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:44 AM   #1793
flugzeug
Fly Braniff!

There is also a house on South Hanover that has 1/2 the formstone torn off. I though you had to have a permit/permission to remove it because it was "historic."
flugzeug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #1794
ajf127

Sly Fox is undergoing renovations and a name change, apparently. Don't know much about it besides that, does anyone else have any details?
ajf127 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 05:51 AM   #1795
KLynch

This time around they should avoid ostracising Ravens fans with ads in the city paper saying they aren't needed. It's okay to like the Skins, but offending Ravens fans is pretty idiotic.
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1796
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 30

It looks like Blue Agave is doing a full renovation today...lots of guys carrying stuff in and out.
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:02 PM   #1797
ajf127

Does anyone know when the new houses on the old Rallo's lot are supposed to begin construction? The weeds and shrubbery in front of the lot along Harvey Street are out of control, they are no longer maintained by anyone. It's becoming very unsightly.
ajf127 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:39 PM   #1798
KLynch

I know it's approved and good to go, hopefully soon. The neighborhood has a bad weed problem right now. I do the best to keep them off my block, but it amazes me that people let 3 foot weeds grow in front of their house right now.

Looks like the for lease signs are off Computer Harbor and Poptronics... hopefully some good stores are coming soon.
Old May 31st, 2012, 07:41 PM   #1799
KLynch

Computer Harbor will be offices and Storage for American Apparel, and Republic Noodle was leased to another restaurant, no details yet... hopefully pho!
Old June 1st, 2012, 03:39 PM   #1800
FuzzyDunlop

The short lived 1542 Gastropub on the corner of Light and Randall (old The Reserve) will be moving to where Pop Taco was on S. Charles across from Mothers, and opening as Banditos. Not sure what will replace it, but or server last night speculated something to do with live music.

Any updates on whats going in at the old Pabst building? I see guys working on the brick every week, but nothing else.
FuzzyDunlop no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development summary