daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #1
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1024

MINNEAPOLIS | Target Field | Com

I thought there was a thread about this sometime ago, but I couldn't find it. With the imminent release of the new design for the Minnesota Twins Stadium (re-scheduled for April 12th) I thought perhaps a new one might be appropriate.

The site is on the northwestern edge of downtown Minneapolis, near Target Center (arena for the Timberwolves).

Apparently this is a hint as to what the design will be. It doesn't look retro!

Last edited by Avian001; April 12th, 2007 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Re-scheduled release date
Avian001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #2
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

Likes (Received): 2

Looks nice so far. Can't wait to see further designs.
B'moreOrioles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #3
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Edited: The release date has been re-scheduled for April 12th, as corrected above.

Last edited by Avian001; April 12th, 2007 at 05:07 PM. Reason: No longer applicable
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #4
Sirus

Likes (Received): 4

Key meeting today could break impasse on Twins stadium project
BY EMILY GURNON
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated:04/10/2007 09:32:55 AM CDT

The Hennepin County Board of Commissioners is scheduled to meet behind closed doors this morning to discuss legal strategies related to eminent domain proceedings for the new Twins ballpark land.

If the commissioners decide to deposit the $13.35 million needed to do a "quick-take" of the land in the condemnation process, the move would end months of uncertainty about whether the project would actually materialize.

The board is also scheduled to meet publicly at 1:30 p.m. today, at which time they may vote on other aspects of the project.

In addition, the county has set Thursday as the latest date for the Twins' unveiling of the schematic design of the ballpark, an event that has been postponed twice.

Acquisition of the land for the ballpark, and related snags involving the nearby railroad tracks and acquiring parcels from MnDOT, appeared to stall plans for a new stadium.

The landowners, most of them belonging to a group called Land Partners II, wanted more for the roughly 8-acre site than the county said it could pay. But the owners said they did not oppose the condemnation process.

In condemnation, the county may deposit the $13.35 million its appraiser said the land was worth, take possession of the land and then pay extra later if the court decides the land is worth more.

Observers have speculated that the Twins will pay the difference.

Last edited by Sirus; April 11th, 2007 at 02:26 AM.
Sirus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #5
Avian001
Mostly Sane

The new stadium design will be released today!

An announcement is planned for 11 a.m., followed by a public viewing of the new plan at 12:30 - 6 p.m. at the Hennepin County Government Center, Skyway Level.
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #6
Sirus

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/ballpark/index.jsp

Hopefully there will be more to come!
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #7
Pepe1

Likes (Received): 0

Very nice!

Is HOK the architect for this project?
Pepe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #8
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Yes, HOK is the lead.

Here are a couple more...

A section through the outfield, adjacent to the new LRT platform:

Site plan, showing the entry plaza to be built over I-394, between the existing A & B Ramps:

Last edited by Avian001; April 12th, 2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #9
dogbo

Very nice! I love the plaza built over the interstate to help connect the stadium back to the rest of downtown.

This will definitely give me reason to make the four hour trip more often to catch a few games each year. This should really boast attendance figures…even after the newness wears off.
dogbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #10
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

I really like the design. I hope this signals an end to the "retro ballpark" era. I think the design will hold up well over time, it's classy without trying to be "modern," it fits Minneapolis well. Overall I really like it.
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #11
The anti-cheesehead

I like the design too, can't wait.

I love the fact that it's basically in the warehouse district. You could not have put in a better place.

This park is going to be one of the best in the country as far as pre and post game "activities" in the immediate vicinity.

The warehouse district is already crazy on summer weekends, I cannot imagine what it's going to be like on a hot summer Friday night when there's a Twins game.
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #12
Minneapolitan
Joshua

Hell, I'll go to the games for this reason alone:

http://www.myspace.com/aka_joshua
Minneapolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:07 AM   #13
Avian001
Mostly Sane

While site preparation has been underway for a few weeks now, the "Official" groundbreaking will occur on August 2nd.

An interesting twist is taking shape around the stadium. Hines Interests is proposing a development that will create a new "Dock Street" that will connect the stadium to Washington Avenue (about 4 blocks to the north). The master plan also calls for about 2,000 new housing units around the stadium.

The "Big Ideas" surrounding the ballpark include these:

• Traffic calming measures would be implemented on Interstate 94 entrance and exit ramps. Development would occur below the ramps and stretch up to the freeway viaducts.
• Dock Street would run below the viaducts, roughly parallel to 3rd Avenue, and would connect the ballpark to Washington
Avenue. “It feels like an old-town kind of street lined with bars and restaurants and shops,” (project architect) Graham said.
• Designers would create a Minneapolis interpretation of the Spanish steps of Rome, connecting a series of cascading stairs from the upper viaduct level to the lower street level. The stairway would be located in the triangular section shaped by the freeway viaducts, and would allow people to spill down to Dock Street below.
• An intermodal transit hub at the Northstar line would rise above Metro Transit’s current station plans. The structure would include an open, sky-lit canopy at 5th Street and 5th Avenue North.

Last edited by Avian001; June 12th, 2007 at 04:22 AM.
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:12 AM   #14
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Damn, I wish Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy could get some nice mid-rises built around it. All we got were a couple of interstate-quality hotels.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:11 AM   #15
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

This is going to be amazing. I absolutely LOVE the design and the location is downright spectacular. I can't wait to go to Brewers games here instead of the metrodome.
Old June 30th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #16
palindrome

As a Boston fan, I AM SO JEALOUS OF THIS STADIUM!!! I absolutely love it!!! I will definetly considering coming to a twins/sox game here now!
palindrome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #17
Sirus

More renderings and models here:

http://www.twinsballpark2010.com/DisplayModel.html

and here:

http://www.twinsballpark2010.com/MiningEIS1.html
Old July 25th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #18
Avian001
Mostly Sane

^Thanks for the links Sirus!

Here's an elevation of the side facing the LRT station on 5th Street. Is the area under 5th street on the right supposed to be the Northstar Commuter Rail level?

Old July 26th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #19
looksee

Likes (Received): 105

Looks like it'll be a uniquely good looking ballpark. Just thought I'd mention that, although this design certainly isn't retro in the usually accepted sense, it clearly does pay homage to architectural elements that go back fifty or more years. Not sure what you'd label them, maybe post-war commercial modern, but here they are: (from around 1949-1960)

Last edited by looksee; July 26th, 2007 at 08:10 PM.
looksee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #20
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

This is Nice with a capital N. Fantastic ballpark with a great location in the heart of the city. Love those views too!
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote