daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:20 PM   #21
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

Ground breaking cancelled today due and the Twins game cancelled until an undetermined date due to the 8 lane I35W Interstate bridge collapsing over the Mississippi River.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #22
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsuptown View Post
Ground breaking cancelled today due and the Twins game cancelled until an undetermined date due to the 8 lane I35W Interstate bridge collapsing over the Mississippi River.
i don't know if this is fair or not: the Twins got blasted due to the unfortunate coincidience of the tragic loss of 135W and the Twins ground breaking. There was no way the pundents could ignore the irony: bridge collapses due to lack of $$$ for intrastructure and public money goes to private neterprise and ball park.

obviously the only differnece between the Twins and that enormous group that includes virtually over half of the MLB franchises is timing. However, the bridge collapse has changed attitudes in the Twn Cities and nationally.

Will the state of Minn revisit its ball park legislation in light of the tragedy or is what has been legislated etched in stone and unbreakable. Don't get me wrong....I am not suggesting the deal should be called off and I'm sure a lot of Minnesotans don't want it cut off. It's a difficult call...the money to protect lives by maintaining the infrastructe should, actually must, be there. On the other hand I don't fault the benefits a new ball park will have on the downtown Mpls area.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #23
edsg25
BANNED

btw, I like the new ball park. i just can't seem to categorize it. refreshingly it doesn't have the retrolook: those look like a very modern look behind the foul lines. The outfield, while not retro, looks nicely and assymetirically differentiated...more so than even other new parks and much more effective than some in that respect (such as Arlington for the Rangers). Also, I'd give high marks on how it draws the skyline into the park.

Still, I can't quite peg a given "look" here. Is there one intended and if so, what were the architects going for?
Old August 5th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #24
edsg25
BANNED

One more and I promise to shut up: may I assume the double decked, Viking inspired, left field stands were lifted straight from the Met?????
Old August 6th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #25
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1022

^I've been working for years as an architect and as a conceptual artist for architectural proposals. The new Twins Stadium actually does fit into what I've been calling a "Minneapolis esthetic." It's characterized by the use of natural materials (primarily - and specifically - Kasota/Mankato stone usually laid in a random ashlar pattern) combined with a modernist sensibility (incorporating cantilevers, steel construction and lots of glass, often utilized at angles other than 90 degrees). This does not seem to be unusual in the Twin City metro area these days.

The whole idea has to do with the concept of the heavier land - which often symbolizes nature and chaos - supporting the lighter creation - which often symbolises rationality - above.

In another example, the new Central Library by Cesar Pelli also has some of those elements in place.

Last edited by Avian001; August 6th, 2007 at 04:49 AM.
Avian001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #26
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
^I've been working for years as an architect and as a conceptual artist for architectural proposals. The new Twins Stadium actually does fit into what I've been calling a "Minneapolis esthetic." It's characterized by the use of natural materials (primarily - and specifically - Kasota/Mankato stone usually laid in a random ashlar pattern) combined with a modernist sensibility (incorporating cantilevers, steel construction and lots of glass, often utilized at angles other than 90 degrees). This does not seem to be unusual in the Twin City metro area these days.

The whole idea has to do with the concept of the heavier land - which often symbolizes nature and chaos - supporting the lighter creation - which often symbolises rationality - above.

In another example, the new Central Library by Cesar Pelli also has some of those elements in place.
seems like the Twins' park may be grouped with St. Louis, San Diego, Philadelphia: the post retroparks seem to be more interested in making a personal statement of their own as opposed to the unifying element of incorporating the past in quirky ways of the retroparks.
Old August 31st, 2007, 03:31 AM   #27
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

Ground breaking was today. Vikings playing against Dallas also in town. Big day. Then there was also the State Fair.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:38 AM   #28
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Well under construction, from the webcam...

Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:22 AM   #29
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Sweet shot. Making progress.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM   #30
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
While site preparation has been underway for a few weeks now, the "Official" groundbreaking will occur on August 2nd.

An interesting twist is taking shape around the stadium. Hines Interests is proposing a development that will create a new "Dock Street" that will connect the stadium to Washington Avenue (about 4 blocks to the north). The master plan also calls for about 2,000 new housing units around the stadium.

The "Big Ideas" surrounding the ballpark include these:

• Traffic calming measures would be implemented on Interstate 94 entrance and exit ramps. Development would occur below the ramps and stretch up to the freeway viaducts.
• Dock Street would run below the viaducts, roughly parallel to 3rd Avenue, and would connect the ballpark to Washington
Avenue. “It feels like an old-town kind of street lined with bars and restaurants and shops,” (project architect) Graham said.
• Designers would create a Minneapolis interpretation of the Spanish steps of Rome, connecting a series of cascading stairs from the upper viaduct level to the lower street level. The stairway would be located in the triangular section shaped by the freeway viaducts, and would allow people to spill down to Dock Street below.
• An intermodal transit hub at the Northstar line would rise above Metro Transit’s current station plans. The structure would include an open, sky-lit canopy at 5th Street and 5th Avenue North.
Interesting and it should be a strong catalyst for development in a sorely neglected part of central Minneapolis.

One minor nit, the freeway by the site is I-394, not I-94 - unless they are also planning work on I-94 (a few blocks away) in addition to at the stadium site.

And yes, a friend and I went to a Twins game at the HumptyDump in the early 1990s and IMHO, that nickname is quite appropriate for the place. With this and a potential new home for the Vikings, are there any plans in the works for a new home field for the Gophers?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM   #31
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

What will the new stadium be called? Any corporations stepped up yet?

Indianapolis: Fastest growing metro (over 1,000,000) in the Midwest. Growth rate of 7.04% between 2000 and 2005.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...bsa-01-fmt.csv
cityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:29 PM   #32
vgmLiquid

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
With this and a potential new home for the Vikings, are there any plans in the works for a new home field for the Gophers?

Mike
Gophers got their stadium approved the same time the twins got theirs approved. It is currently under-construction
vgmLiquid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 04:46 AM   #33
Benn

Likes (Received): 167

The Twins have released what appear to be the final renderings as well as shots of a phenomenal (and what must be incredibly expensive) model and short and a video animation for the new park. I kind of liked the original outfield configuration, the new center field seating seems out of context. And the pro shop placement along 7th street was better in the previous renderings as well. But at any rate I'm pretty pumped to see the real thing in a couple years.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/ballpark/index.jsp
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #34
Avian001
Mostly Sane

The Minnesota Twins have registered 48 domain names prior to securing naming rights for the new ballpark. Some of them include "landolakesfield.com" and "wheatiesfield.com" Article is here.

Construction is well underway. View the webcam here.

A photo of the stadium model, by Hannah Foslien:

Old April 5th, 2008, 04:27 AM   #35
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
The Minnesota Twins have registered 48 domain names prior to securing naming rights for the new ballpark. Some of them include "landolakesfield.com" and "wheatiesfield.com" Article is here.

Construction is well underway. View the webcam here.

A photo of the stadium model, by Hannah Foslien:

Got a question, How many heights of walls will the new park have? I cannot tell. Love when the walls change heights and so on. My nephew plays for Tampa, and Hopefully he will be around when they open theirs. Love the new Twins park, really a great addition.
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #36
Avian001
Mostly Sane

The new Twins Stadium construction update.

The northern plaza:

The northern plaza, looking back toward Target Center:

The south and north plazas, crossing I-394:

The field and stands:

Old May 11th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #37
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

It's a nice-lookin' stadium, but there's no roof. in COLD minnesota? are you kidding? look for a TON of posponed games in the beginning of the season due to weather. what the hell were the twins organization thinking?
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #38
Paule

Likes (Received): 935

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
It's a nice-lookin' stadium, but there's no roof. in COLD minnesota? are you kidding? look for a TON of posponed games in the beginning of the season due to weather. what the hell were the twins organization thinking?
Last year, Cleveland started their season having to postpone their first several games because of snow storms. To prevent anymore postponements, they played a whole 3 game series against California in Miller Park in Milwaukee. So yeah, that would be interesting, The Brewers long time revival playing home games in their own Miller Park.

Otherwise, yeah, stadium looks like it'll be a good one. I'm glad they didn't go for that typical ugly red brick outside facade that so many of these new ball parks have used. Also, they're copying what San Diego did with their stadium and building the stadium around a warehouse type building in the left field corner, I like that!

Last edited by Paule; May 11th, 2008 at 09:42 PM.
Paule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #39
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
No one here seems to be worried. What's cold for you is not so cold for us.

Literally...when it hits 40 degrees, especially after a cold winter, there are people on the streets in shorts and tank tops.

I'm not kidding, since I am one of them. I really have no issue with 40-degree weather. To me, it's warm enough to have fun and to have a great party!

This year's late winter was pretty bad - probably as bad as it gets. But few MLB games would have been postponed if the stadium had opened this year. The new stadium field is heated, BTW, just in case of cold/snow snaps early season that other teams cannot handle...

Last edited by Avian001; May 12th, 2008 at 03:37 PM.
Avian001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #40
Danillo
National Parks Artist

Likes (Received): 220

Milwaukee played in County Stadium for decades with little problem, I'm sure the Twins will be fine. In fact, I applaud them for building an outdoor stadium, it may be a bit colder in the spring, but nothing beats baseball outdoors in the summer. In Miller Park, even with the roof and outfield panels open, you never feel like you're outdoors.
Danillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote