daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2008, 03:18 AM   #41
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danillo View Post
...In Miller Park, even with the roof and outfield panels open, you never feel like you're outdoors.
I do have to say that Miller Park is one hell of an imposing/impressive structure when driving into Milwaukee though!

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:10 AM   #42
Paule

Likes (Received): 935

Quote:
Milwaukee played in County Stadium for decades with little problem, I'm sure the Twins will be fine. In fact, I applaud them for building an outdoor stadium, it may be a bit colder in the spring, but nothing beats baseball outdoors in the summer. In Miller Park, even with the roof and outfield panels open, you never feel like you're outdoors.
Miller park can be an oven on those hot summer days mainly because there just isn't much air movement. And the third base side is the worst because then you have the sun beating down on you all day long. I love the stadium for watching a game but it can be uncomfortable sometimes.
Paule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #43
Paule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
I do have to say that Miller Park is one hell of an imposing/impressive structure when driving into Milwaukee though!
Yeah, although I hate red brick facades, I think Miller Park is the best looking stadium from the outside. The new Shea stadium looks like it'll be awesome as well and of course I'm looking forward to seeing this new Twins Stadium from the outside. I'm glad they decided to be original and do something other than red brick, YUCK! I think you guys are going to have a very fine stadium!

Last edited by Paule; May 17th, 2008 at 02:21 AM.
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #44
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Here's a shot from this blog showing a test panel for the exterior materials. The native Kasota limestone being used looks like it will be quite variegated in color.

Old August 4th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #45
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Any construction updates?

What a view. It's only rival in terms of skyline views will be PNC Park:

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; August 6th, 2008 at 06:55 PM.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #46
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Any construction updates?
Here's a couple of fine shots from Saturday, taken by forumer MidwestProduct and posted at Minnescraper.

You can see a lot more progress images here!

On the extreme right side of this view you can see the reconstructed roadway for the LRT station. The stadium will also be linked to the 2nd-story enclosed walkway system that connects most of downtown Minneapolis.

Last edited by Avian001; August 4th, 2008 at 09:35 PM.
Avian001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #47
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Thanks a lot.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #48
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Sure, anytime! Sometimes Minnesota forumers forget to post updates here since most are busy at Minnescraper.com, so continue to badger us for news if you want.

Here's an image I took through a dirty window of the Ford Centre on the opposite side of the stadium (the red brick building to the right in the 2nd photo above). It's annotated to show the integration of the public transport system into the stadium.

Last edited by Avian001; August 5th, 2008 at 09:47 PM.
Avian001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #49
Avian001
Mostly Sane

The new Minnesota Twins Ballpark will be named Target Field.

From the article:

The Minnesota Twins have reached an agreement in principle on a 25-year partnership with Target Corp. that includes the right to name the team's new ballpark Target Field, the team announced today.

The 40,000-seat stadium will open in the downtown Minneapolis Warehouse district in time for the Twins home opener in the spring of 2010.

The Major League Baseball team also will collaborate with Target Corp. on the design of Target Plaza, a pedestrian bridge and public gathering space connecting the ballpark with downtown Minneapolis, said Kevin Smith, a Twins spokesman.
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #50
pattyco7

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Milwaukee played in County Stadium for decades with little problem, I'm sure the Twins will be fine. In fact, I applaud them for building an outdoor stadium, it may be a bit colder in the spring, but nothing beats baseball outdoors in the summer. In Miller Park, even with the roof and outfield panels open, you never feel like you're outdoors.
As much money baseball players make these days, let'em play in the cold!
pattyco7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:18 PM   #51
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Construction Updates

Monday, November 3,2008

View from 7th Street:

The Kasota limestone exterior:

Facade along 7th Street, looking back toward the city's core:

Structure of one of several cantilevers:

Main entry area:

Target plaza, connecting the stadium to the Warehouse Entertainment District:

The first of the seating stringers are in place, along with the first structural components of the wrap-around canopy:

The field area, with a red marker showing the location of home plate:

The north part of Target Plaza connecting to the Target Center, showing (presumably) planter areas for the trees:

Old November 4th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #52
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

Nice job Mnpls!!
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:34 AM   #53
Paule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyco7 View Post
As much money baseball players make these days, let'em play in the cold!
I agree but the sad fact is that on cold bad wheather days the team loses attendance and revenue, revenue that small market teams like Milwaukee and Minnesota can't make up.
Old November 6th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #54
dael318

Likes (Received): 0

I really like the design of this new stadium, but I too am on the side of questioning a non-domed stadium in Minnesota. As Paule said it will hurt attendance. After watching this year's world series, it was even more support for why baseball stadiums should be built with roofs in unpredictable climates. Baseball can start as early as the end of March and next year will end in November, weather in the upper midwest can be very unpredictable, why let mother nature ruin the fun when we have technology that can prevent that. I bet we will see some April games be moved Milwaukee at least once in the next five years.

Again I really like the design and location of the stadium and I guess this beats the alternative of no baseball in Minneapolis.
dael318 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #55
KevD
Member since Sept. 2004

Likes (Received): 6

Looks fantastic!
Old November 7th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #56
Paule

Quote:
Originally Posted by dael318 View Post
I really like the design of this new stadium, but I too am on the side of questioning a non-domed stadium in Minnesota. As Paule said it will hurt attendance. After watching this year's world series, it was even more support for why baseball stadiums should be built with roofs in unpredictable climates. Baseball can start as early as the end of March and next year will end in November, weather in the upper midwest can be very unpredictable, why let mother nature ruin the fun when we have technology that can prevent that. I bet we will see some April games be moved Milwaukee at least once in the next five years.

Again I really like the design and location of the stadium and I guess this beats the alternative of no baseball in Minneapolis.
They'll pack em in in that stadium in the Summer though, she will be a beaut!
Old December 9th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #57
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Target Plaza is undergoing a dramatic redesign, according to landscape architect Tom Oslund:

"When we were asked to design this space, we went back and did research on baseball and started thinking about the elements of the game, from the bat to the mound to the infield. We were confronted with a sizeable problem with this parking ramp flanking one side of the plaza. I began looking at artist work that could solve the problem simply and beautifully and I discovered (California artist) Ned Kahn. (Kahn created) a wind screen piece, and it’s going to be absolutely mesmerizing. This thing is 350 feet long and 60 feet high. We carried the baseball theme all the way through, so each one of the pixels (on Kahn’s installation) will be the size of a baseball card. There’s also a lot of tongue in cheek, where you have hops growing up these topiary bats, which is beer and baseball, which go together.

We walked into this meeting and presented these solutions and I thought they were going to laugh us out of the room. I was doing it not to be funny or flippant, it was my way of trying to wrap my head around how you create a space that would resonate with why people are going to it. They loved it."

Preliminary renderings are available here.
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:05 AM   #58
Sirus

Likes (Received): 4

Has anyone taken a minute to check out Kahn's work? It's amazing.

I thought it would be a static art piece when I first looked at it, but all the "pixels" move with the wind.

http://nedkahn.com/wind.html
Sirus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #59
Badgers77
Hi

Likes (Received): 88

It is a really beautiful ballpark, but anyone think the stone they used looks a little southwestern?
Badgers77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #60
vgmLiquid

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers77 View Post
It is a really beautiful ballpark, but anyone think the stone they used looks a little southwestern?
Funny you should say that. It is all from various Minnesota quarries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasota_limestone

Here is one better known example of it in action:

vgmLiquid no está en línea   Reply With Quote