daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #41
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I doubt they'll raze or redevelop the old areas, but rather open up a whole new zone outside the historic centre with skyscrapers and hotels, much like what they've done with other large Chinese cities.

The other big tourism destination with many old buildings is Lijiang. I notice quite a number of tours available from Hong Kong to both Lijiang and this one.
That's the problem though, what makes Fenghuang so special is it's amazing harmony with nature. The town sits in the landscape perfectly and is surrounded by hills covered with forest. The more they expand the town, even if the new buildings are in old style, the more that part of what makes Fenghuang so special is lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachus22
As a white man would I get along okay if I visited Fenghuang...?
Depends mostly on whether you can speak any Chinese. Doesn't make much difference if your white or not; the problem is mainly making yourself understood. The biggest problem if you can't speak Chinese is getting there, for me it was a 10 hour train journey followed by a 2 hour bus journey. I would never have been able to get there if I wasn't with my Chinese friends who sorted out transport for us.
Once your there, still very few people speak English, but it doesn't really matter as much because it seems quite safe in the town and everywhere is walkable so you don't have to worry about transport in the town.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #42
zachus22
Proud Torontonian

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Depends mostly on whether you can speak any Chinese. Doesn't make much difference if your white or not; the problem is mainly making yourself understood. The biggest problem if you can't speak Chinese is getting there, for me it was a 10 hour train journey followed by a 2 hour bus journey. I would never have been able to get there if I wasn't with my Chinese friends who sorted out transport for us.
Once your there, still very few people speak English, but it doesn't really matter as much because it seems quite safe in the town and everywhere is walkable so you don't have to worry about transport in the town.
Well that's relieving, I was thinking something to the effect of racial tension, considering this is a smaller town. I'm under the impression that Xiang is spoken in Hunan Province, but me, as well as all of my Chinese friends, only speak Mandarin. Ah, I'm sure we can find a tour guide who speaks both Mandarin and Xiang
Old April 8th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #43
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachus22 View Post
Well that's relieving, I was thinking something to the effect of racial tension, considering this is a smaller town. I'm under the impression that Xiang is spoken in Hunan Province, but me, as well as all of my Chinese friends, only speak Mandarin. Ah, I'm sure we can find a tour guide who speaks both Mandarin and Xiang
I didn't detect a hint of racial unease when I was there, apparently you have to be a little more careful if you're exploring the surrounding countryside but I think if you're with a guide it'll be ok. I think if you speak Mandarin you'll have no problems in Fenghuang town itself, the friends I went with only spoke Mandarin and they seemed to be able to make themselves understood. I think the they're quite used to having tourists now so most people will speak at least a bit of Mandarin, though very few speak any English. If you do want a guide though, it's very easy to find one (at the hotel where we stayed, one of the ladies working there showed us around for free)! Overall, I got the impression that people were quite friendly and willing to help.
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #44
Sen

Likes (Received): 24

Fenghuang is not so much of a typical Chinese town, it is inhabited by local Miao (Hmong) and Tujia minorities, so its culture is quite instinct. It has been on the radar of Chinese tourists for some years now, I am surprised it has kept its originality whereas other tourist towns like Zhouzhuang, Tongli have lost most of their charm to commercialization.
They do not speak Xiang, they speak their own languages(Non Chinese), but they also speak Mandarin.
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #45
feifeiinmyname

Likes (Received): 1

my dream town........... i am planing a trip to Fenghuang around Oct, anybody interested?
feifeiinmyname no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #46
Andrew

Here are some more views of Fenghuang streets: image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

bleeyw liked this post
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #47
ningxiard

Likes (Received): 8

image hosted on flickr

What?! One RMB for using their restroom? That's really expensive! I wonder how much money they could make out of it everyday.
ningxiard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #48
Andrew

Hahahaha! Yeah, very enterprising!!
Old August 24th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #49
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

they give me a feeling, as the cities gets more advanced, people living in the city would like countryside more
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #50
Johnor

Likes (Received): 49

This beats Pingyao all the way.

Thank you for your wonderful shot photographs. Next time I am in China I will give Hunan a shot. Ive have read that there are some more old towns in the area.....
Johnor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #51
paulcazzz

Likes (Received): 0

We travelled to Fenghuang in October 2008 and my only regret is, my photos don't look anywhere near as good as Andrew's. We cannot speak any Chinese apart from "hello" and "thankyou" but found a lot of Chinese Students speak a bit of english and are happy to have a westerner to practice on. It's true there are a lot of tourists there (mainly Chinese) but I don't think the Fenghuang people are complaining, thats how they earn their living. THE most beautiful place we saw in China Andrew.
paulcazzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 05:15 PM   #52
abcgoodest

Likes (Received): 3

an amazing place.. too bad it's consistently being overlooked
abcgoodest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 05:20 PM   #53
abcgoodest

Likes (Received): 3

You can tell it's not a Han-style old town, which is supposed to be bustling, noisy and vibrant. Quiet little Asian towns can only be found in Chinese minorities and places like Japan.
abcgoodest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 05:46 PM   #54
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244485

Very nice place - reallty awesome i like the old traditional architecture in this town
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #55
Andrew

I just realised, I never actually finished uploading all my photos to here. Here are the rest of them.

This is the main street through the new part of town, unfortunately not as nice as the old parts but it's not very big and is reasonably tidy. I don't mind this part of town so long as it doesn't grow too much and overshadow the old town, afterall, even historic places need modern services:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Anyway, back to the old stuff:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Town Wall
image hosted on flickr

Well, that's all of them. I'm actually planning to go back to China this March. This time I hope to visit Kunming and Dali (as well as some more of the major cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, Nanjing and maybe Hangzhou). Everyone who is interested in historic Chinese towns especially, look out for a Dali thread by me sometime next spring!

bleeyw liked this post
Old December 17th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #56
dingyunyang179

Likes (Received): 139

good thread
dingyunyang179 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #57
dsatan1

I am in Fenghuang now...

Hello.
I am John, advanced English interpreter in China. Base in Fenghuang(phoenix city). Obtained rich experience in alternative interpretation and consecutive interpretation in recent years, Could speak fluent Kroean.
If you come to fenghuang (phoenix town),I can translate the language for you. I can help you to rent a car whith driver,help you to book your room……….
I am a good private guide,
MSN:[email protected] Mobile: 86-13574396954
dsatan1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #58
dsatan1

FENGHUANG

dsatan1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #59
japanese001

Likes (Received): 708

箱ビルの連続よりこっちの方が好きです。