daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old June 30th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #21
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Looks like we've got #14 - discovered a bit belatedly:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ebwebb29m.html

Sponsored Links

Old June 30th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #22
sequoias

Likes (Received): 3

14 murders and it's almost July....hope it doesn't spike. *shudders* Poor people getting killed. We're embarrassing Tokyo, Japan.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #23
sequoias

Another shooting near Belltown, she got shot in the leg. Didn't get killed, though.

Violence near Belltown clubs takes a toll on neighbors

By Sanjay Bhatt

Seattle Times staff reporter

PREV of NEXT

Enlarge this photo

JIM BATES / THE SEATTLE TIMES

A bullet shattered Henry Lo's first-floor window in Belltown. The shots were fired early Monday in the 2300 block of Western Avenue outside the Tabella Lounge, wounding one person.

The bullet that shattered Henry Lo's first-floor window early Monday and nearly struck his girlfriend also shattered his faith in urban living. They're leaving Belltown.

When Lo bought a studio apartment there in 2001, the young architect wasn't naive. The defecating vagrants, the open drug dealing, the noisy nightlife — this he expected.

What he wasn't prepared for, he said, are the violent patrons who descend on a two-block strip of Western Avenue every weekend, drawn by hip-hop nightclubs with a history of complaints about drunken patrons against them.

"It astounds me with the police presence that the fights continue," said Lo, whose studio faces Western Avenue. "The police are just a Band-Aid. The source is these clubs."

Police say that just past 1 a.m. Monday, shots were fired in the 2300 block of Western Avenue outside a club named Tabella Lounge. An 18-year-old bystander was hit in the leg, but her injuries were not life-threatening.

Police arrested two men in a car, recovered a gun from it and booked one of the men, 21, into the King County Jail.

For years, residents near downtown — Pioneer Square, Lower Queen Anne, Capitol Hill and Belltown — have voiced frustration at what they say is the city's inability to hold accountable a few nightclubs that attract violence.

Violent crime has sharply increased in Belltown in the past two years after a steady decline, crime statistics show.

Early Monday morning, Lo was watching TV and his girlfriend was at her desk near the window when they heard a burst of gunfire, followed by screams outside and the sound of their window shattering.

Lo called 911 and then opened his front door to see a young woman on the pavement, screaming "My leg! My leg!" It was at that point, Lo said, that his girlfriend insisted they move out of Belltown.

Records show that nearly a dozen complaints have been filed with the state Liquor Control Board against Tabella, which opened on Western Avenue two years ago. The complaints allege disorderly conduct, serving underage patrons and overserving patrons.

City Attorney Tom Carr said the city likely will ask the Liquor Board not to renew Tabella's liquor license. Tabella management couldn't be reached for comment Monday afternoon.

advertising

In the past, clubs have said they can't be held responsible for what happens outside their premises and the city needs to put more police officers on the streets.

Frustrated with the Liquor Board's lengthy process for revoking a license, Mayor Greg Nickels offered legislation last winter that would require about 300 nightclubs to obtain special city licenses to operate — but his proposal has all but stalled after an industry lobbying campaign.

City Councilmember Sally Clark, whose committee will discuss nightlife enforcement at 9:30 a.m. Thursday in council chambers, says she doesn't think there are enough votes on the council to require special nightclub licenses. Instead, Clark wants to strengthen the city's existing enforcement tools.

Carr, noting that there have been 11 nightclub-related shootings so far this year in the city, supports Nickels' proposal, finding that Clark's position ignores history. Over the past two decades, he said, the city has struggled to shut down problem clubs, using such tools as public-nuisance orders and voluntary "good-neighbor" agreements.

Often, the clubs haven't been shut down until after a fatal incident. "This is one of easiest jurisdictions in the United States to open a nightclub," Carr said.

Seattle police say they are gradually stepping up patrols in Belltown, but residents say it's not enough. Hundreds of drunken patrons, some armed, vastly outnumber the officers on patrol, residents say. The Liquor Board has said it has only four agents working in King County on weekends.

A neighbor of Lo's, Doug Pierson, said he's a Marine reservist who's been to Iraq twice. "When you get shot at, it pisses you off," Pierson said, and now that kind of violence is happening on his front step.

Earlier this year, he said, two partygoers brandished knives when he told them to leave. "There's no excuse for them to be freely roaming around here."

Sanjay Bhatt: 206-464-3103 or sbhatt@seattletimes.com
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #24
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 162

I understand how these residents feel because I live in Belltown too. I don't like to walk on First Avenue at night time during the weekend. I felt somewhat uncomfortable to be around clubgoers. Sometime I don't get some people. Sometime I go out clubbing in Capital Hill just to have good time with my friends and meet strangers. No drama. I am not sure what is exactly why some clubs or bars attracts violant crimes. Is these violant crimes influnced by alochol? Drugs? Jealousy? Enemies?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #25
Backstrom
Neanderthal

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
I understand how these residents feel because I live in Belltown too. I don't like to walk on First Avenue at night time during the weekend. I felt somewhat uncomfortable to be around clubgoers. Sometime I don't get some people. Sometime I go out clubbing in Capital Hill just to have good time with my friends and meet strangers. No drama. I am not sure what is exactly why some clubs or bars attracts violant crimes. Is these violant crimes influnced by alochol? Drugs? Jealousy? Enemies?
Tensions can break just as easily between strangers as with enemies when people are intoxicated. You'll find that when people are under the influence, one small little altercation can turn deadly.
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #26
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom View Post
Tensions can break just as easily between strangers as with enemies when people are intoxicated. You'll find that when people are under the influence, one small little altercation can turn deadly.
True. I personally never seen anyone who is intoxicated became deadly before since only people who I saw were acting funny or flirtious as typical drunks. I kept hearing many stories about similar situations to this incident in Belltown. I hope I will never witnesss it. I don't think I would want to see it at all.
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #27
seapug

Likes (Received): 104

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...omicide10.html also another article in the pi about the increase on black on black violence mentioned that the guy that got pushed into traffic is barely clinging to life. i hope all this violence slows down soon.
seapug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #28
seapug

Likes (Received): 104

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/323611_shots14.html it really can be ridiculous sometimes. last night at the bowling alley in skyway some guy tried to fight one of my friends and one of his buddies was pacing around yelling crap about how people are gonna get shot. we were just minding our business too.
seapug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #29
CrazyAboutCities

Damn! These people got serious issues!

Yesterday, I had lunch with my friend at Jack in the Box on Broadway. My friend and I was waiting for ours turn to use the restroom. We waited for almost ten minutes so my friend knocked the door to see if everything is okay. This woman opened the men's restroom door and screamed at four of us (two persons were waiting for their turns too) and threatened us if we hurt her two little kids, she would murder us. We didn't do anything to her or her kids, we were just waiting for ours turn. She went crazy and trashed the men restroom. We were completely turned off and reported it to Jack in the Box manager. He went to talk to this woman and she blew her temper at him too. We were like whoa and walked away because we don't want to get involved this silly unneccessary drama. I am feeling bad for her two kids. I don't get people sometime.
Old July 14th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #30
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
I don't get people sometime.
That sounds pretty easy to get, its called F***ing crazy.
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #31
sequoias

Quote:
Damn! These people got serious issues!

Yesterday, I had lunch with my friend at Jack in the Box on Broadway. My friend and I was waiting for ours turn to use the restroom. We waited for almost ten minutes so my friend knocked the door to see if everything is okay. This woman opened the men's restroom door and screamed at four of us (two persons were waiting for their turns too) and threatened us if we hurt her two little kids, she would murder us. We didn't do anything to her or her kids, we were just waiting for ours turn. She went crazy and trashed the men restroom. We were completely turned off and reported it to Jack in the Box manager. He went to talk to this woman and she blew her temper at him too. We were like whoa and walked away because we don't want to get involved this silly unneccessary drama. I am feeling bad for her two kids. I don't get people sometime.
Damn, that woman needs to take anger management classes and a boot camp....priceless after all that.
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #32
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
Damn, that woman needs to take anger management classes and a boot camp....priceless after all that.
Haha Naw. She needs go see the counsler. I have a feeling that her husband or boyfriend cheated on her. Her behavior is somewhat showing that. I seen some women and men behaved like that before for same reasons.
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #33
sequoias

Quote:
Haha Naw. She needs go see the counsler. I have a feeling that her husband or boyfriend cheated on her. Her behavior is somewhat showing that. I seen some women and men behaved like that before for same reasons.
Ohhhh, that sucks. Engraged by her boyfriend or husband, probably so. She should keep that under control, though.
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #34
CrazyAboutCities

Yeah... Oh well..
Old August 5th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #35
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 161

In this mornings paper. That makes 15 so far this year?

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/326439_fatal06.html
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #36
CrazyAboutCities

Oh man! Please no more murder!
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #37
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

^
I'm certain there's been more since I last updated this thread and the murder in that article. I've seen (I think) about 2-3 others. So it's more like 18 murders so far. I think.
Old August 6th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #38
Backstrom
Neanderthal

Likes (Received): 0

Forgive my ignorance, but what was the total at the end of last year?
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #39
Black Box
Black Box

Likes (Received): 82

^I think it was 24.
Black Box no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #40
CrazyAboutCities

24? That is pretty low for its city size.