daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #21
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

I wouldn't say it is English-speaking countries vs others, but rather New World vs. Old World. Ireland is rather an exception in this case. For instance, South Africa is an English-speaking country, yet they use red triangles.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #22
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

I prefer yellow diamond signs because the stand out more when driving, then again in Australia I am used to them.

There is really not much difference b/w both types of signs beacuse the symbol inside conveys the same message which is the more important issue.

Has anyone a map of which countrie use yellow diamonds and which countries have red triangle?
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #23
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Well, if you want more contrast between regular signs and warning signs you can always use yellow triangle sign - we discuss the shape here, not the colour

Yellow triangle signs are used in Poland and most of the Scandinavian countries. Ex-YU countries used them, but they switched to white ones for no reason. Personally I like yellow signs better, they surely catches attention.

As the matter of shape, for me there is no much difference between diamond and triangle. Well, in some situations the pictogram can be easier fitted in the diamond, because they have slightly larger "usable area", but it's seldom a problem.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #24
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

I like the Scandinavian model as well, and I've been there three months. Now I really need to adapt to the white signs and it feels "not right".

(Yes, that's a road on a frozen lake)
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #25
volkhen

Likes (Received): 0

There a reason why we don't use a diamond shape in Europe. Diamond-shape sign covered by snow would look like a major road sign.

I don't like a American road signs. Maybe because I see european signs everyday. Signs with a simple pictures are better because they are understandable by people from different countries.

Plotery solwentowe

Bydgoszcz na starej fotografii - Zapraszam do współtworzenia strony!
volkhen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #26
GregfromAustria

i don´t agree i think pictures are often more confusing than the written ones, i think everywhere road signs must be written in english.
GregfromAustria no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #27
volkhen

There are many people who don't speak English. You cannot force them to learn it.

Plotery solwentowe

Bydgoszcz na starej fotografii - Zapraszam do współtworzenia strony!
volkhen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #28
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

The idea behind pictorial signs were, that no matter what kind of language you speak, you can still understand the signs in other countries. Especially in Europe with many languages close to eachother.

Right now, English is becoming the main language in Europe (an Union), but that's no reason to replace the pictorial signs with text signs.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #29
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Chris, not only that, but pictograms can be recognised better from farer distance.
Old June 20th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #30
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8806

Definitely prefer the pictorial signs rather than the text signs - coming from someone who has lived with both. I also much prefer the triangle signs to the diamonds probably because I'm far more used to triangles having grown up with them.

European signage is far clearer on the whole than the US styled signs I've found from driving in New Zealand. This isn't because it's better, it's simply because it has less text on it.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #31
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

It isn't all scandinavian signs that are yellow, Denmark and Norway don't use yellow signs (except for text signs at construction sites). It is only Sweden that uses yellow signs because of the frequent snowfalls in the north.
Danielk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #32
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

I can surely understand that Swedish call, just odd that Norway does not take the same approach: same North, same snowfall.

But to go back to the original topic of diamond vs. triangle, I can see one advantage in diamonds: you have more space available to show what you are actually warning for. That said, it's not much of a difference, surely not worth the fuss of replacing all the triangles of the world with diamonds. Also agree with all those who say that it's far better to warn with a pictogram than with text. But I guess that too, like the colour of the warning sign, goes beyond the triangle vs. diamond debate.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 04:41 PM   #33
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregfromAustria View Post
i don´t agree i think pictures are often more confusing than the written ones
Can you give an example?
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:25 PM   #34
ardmacha

Likes (Received): 1

Ireland adopted the Diamond signs in the 1950s before the European standards had been fully harmonised. Having a reasonable system with the symbols that are generally those used in Europe it was not worth changing. Some other differences in Irish signage were changed.

The priority road sign does not exist in Ireland (or other drive on the left countries) so there is no confusion with the shape.

ardmacha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:42 PM   #35
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Within 30 years, 95% of US warning signs will be either entirely pictorial or pictorial with text supplement, so it's somewhat of a moot point. I base that speculation on the consistent addition of pictorial options and preferences in the MUTCD editions.

I think the triangle signs are more aesthetically pleasing in their red and white forms, but that the yellow diamonds impart information more easily. The fluorescent yellow diamonds for school and pedestrian traffic are a major benefit, as well.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:31 PM   #36
wdw35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizee View Post
I like the Scandinavian model as well, and I've been there three months. Now I really need to adapt to the white signs and it feels "not right".

In Romania (and potentially in other countries) the reason for using warning signs with a white background is that the yellow background is reserved for construction/maintenance-related warnings, or other situations that have a relatively temporary character, that create a hazard (land slide, bridge failure etc.)
wdw35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:01 PM   #37
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

That is how it is in Norway as well. Yellow danger, and prohibition signs when the signs is only temporary.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:09 PM   #38
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsko View Post
That is how it is in Norway as well. Yellow danger, and prohibition signs when the signs is only temporary.
You also have yellow center line, dividing two lanes of opposite directions. How do you deal with this in case of temporary signage? Same situation in Finland.
Sponsor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:43 PM   #39
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

The world took up the autobahn, why can't they take up the red triangle? I don't understand!
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:57 PM   #40
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirtkosova View Post
The world took up the autobahn, why can't they take up the red triangle? I don't understand!
Yellow diamond works just as well, and there's no need to change it?

Variety is the spice of life.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote