search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions

General Developments and Discussions » Bridges | Cycling | Maritime

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Sarepava

Likes (Received): 1

Local driving styles

Please describe any local habits that drivers in your city/country have. An example would be something I read in a book called the 'Pittsburgh left' where as soon as the light is green, drivers going left will slam the gas to try and turn across before the oncoming traffic reaches them. If you can come up with any witty or catchy names for these manoeuvres you get extra kudos.

A couple from where I live:

There are three related things that generally only happen in London and all derive from the principle of jealously guarding the space your car occupies. 1. If you are in a queue of traffic passing a side road (that's one on the left in the UK), you must stare absolutely dead straight ahead so that you don't acknowledge the presence of drivers trying to pull out from the road to join your queue. Consequently 2.) the only way to exit a side road is to impose just enough of the front of your vehicle into the main road that somebody has to let you out. 3.) The driver following the car that has let somebody out must now drive very close to them, or else other cars from the side will sense his weakness and seize the chance to follow onto the main road using the above method.

The 'Southampton right' - almost the opposite of the Pittsburgh Left; if a right turn is obstructed by oncoming traffic, as many drivers as possible try to get over the stop line so they can slam the gas and turn right between the oncoming traffic's red light and the crossing traffic's green. Part of this technique involves creeping further forward over the junction every ten seconds to show following traffic that you're really really wanting to go but can't quite find a big enough gap.

The 'flash alley'. If there is an obstruction on the other side of the road, traffic on that side has to wait. This is usually observed and as a car is slowing it will flash the lights to tell you to come through the gap. You must now go through as fast as your vehicle is capable of, especially if the obstruction is a long row of parked cars.

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #2
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 867

You have visited the Vatican City but not Italy?

Drivers in London are bad, but still polite, saying thank-you and flashing headlights and hazard lights
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #3
KiwiGuy
¡VIVA EL GORDO!

Likes (Received): 1638

I don't know but from what I have experienced is that many Nelsonians have got it into their minds that we have some sort of telepathic connection which means that most people will not indicate when entering or leaving roundabouts. Most Nelsonians also like to drag race people in merging lanes and drive 10-20km over the speed limit.
Old July 30th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #4
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1785

A stupid thing that most Estonian drivers do is that on a 2-lane roundabout where only the outermost lane can exit at a certain point, people will still exit from the innermost lane. Although it usually doesn't cause a dangerous situation it's still pretty messy.

On 2x2 highways, people often switch to the left lane way before it's actually necessary to overtake a car. What's more, drivers often stick to the left lane even if the next car is ~500m away.

When people know that a 4-lane road will turn into a 2-lane road they switch to the necessary lane often kilometres before the merge, unlike the zipper style merge which is less obstructive for traffic. But if you keep driving normally until it's reasonable to switch lanes, drivers are pretty reluctant to let you do that.

Parking culture is something that we really lack. Not only are a large amount of people incapable of parallel parking, they also park on handicapped places, sidewalks, grass, you name it. Even if the sidewalk is obstructed physically from the road, drivers will still find a way to get to the spot they want, even if it means actually driving on the sidewalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiGuy View Post
most people will not indicate when entering or leaving roundabouts.
You don't have to indicate when entering a roundabout.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #5
DanielFigFoz

You do here, well you're meant too, but most people don't
Old July 30th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #6
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1785

Seems kinda pointless to me. It's not like you have any other place to go.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 03:04 AM   #7
KiwiGuy
¡VIVA EL GORDO!

Likes (Received): 1638

It may not be so in Estonia, but road laws in NZ, which are based on those in Australia and the UK, say that people must indicate before entering a roundabout if they are turning. The law also says that people must indicate as they leave the roundabout, no matter if they have turned or not.

Pointless I know. But the law is the law.
Old July 31st, 2011, 03:52 PM   #8
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8623

For NZ driving rules are "agressive as possible" and "me first". People will do annoying things like speed up when there is a passing lane to PREVENT you from passing them and then slow back down to well below the speed limit when the road goes back to single lane.

When merging after a traffic light, people will drive very close to the person in front of them to prevent people from merging. This goes for entering motorways too where people are often unwilling to let you onto the motorway.

People will enter motorways before the lane finishes and often turn across multiple lanes on the motorway if they can. They also don't like coming up to the speed of traffic and often enter the road too slowly and too soon.

There are others, but I can't think of them right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiGuy View Post
It may not be so in Estonia, but road laws in NZ, which are based on those in Australia and the UK, say that people must indicate before entering a roundabout if they are turning. The law also says that people must indicate as they leave the roundabout, no matter if they have turned or not.

Pointless I know. But the law is the law.
Yeah, the rule in Sweden is that you don't have to indicate going into a roundabout, but you must indicate within the roundabout AND give way if anyone wants to change lane into your lane on the roundabout too for multi-lane roundabouts. Given that Sweden has a large number of roundabouts as well as the lowest death rate on its roads this last year they must be doing something right with this.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 07:44 PM   #9
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 19818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss
Seems kinda pointless to me. It's not like you have any other place to go.
It just means you are not taking the first exit.
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 07:53 PM   #10
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 19818

I've just come back from two weeks driving around the Balkans, The main difference from what I'm used to seemed to be that people are much more adventurous/aggressive about overtaking.

Blind bend? brow of a hill? Doesn't matter, let's try anyway seems to be the norm. If something is coming the other way they just barge their way back in cutting close into the vehicle they've just passed.

On a couple of occasions I had to brake quite hard because an overtaking car was heading towards me in the wrong lane when there really wasn't room to safely pass, something I don't remember ever doing here.

And of course some pointless horn honking in traffic etc but I can live with that.
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:59 PM   #11
DanielFigFoz

People in Portugal hardly ever use the horn
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #12
Frank IBC

Likes (Received): 6

Quintessential Washington DC-driver maneuver:

1) Come to a screeching stop, completely randomly and without warning.

2) Make U-Turn, from right lane to right lane on opposite side - preferably nowhere near an intersection - and cut off drivers in all six lanes of traffic as you execute the turn.

3) Give the finger to everyone that you've cut off, and drive away.
Frank IBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #13
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Some unique driving habits in Houston area include:

Going way below the speed limit in the left lane and refusing to move over.
Not letting other people merge.
Not using turning signals
Extreme tailgating
Drivers who think they are on a NASCAR track
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #14
jabroni

Likes (Received): 3

Massachusetts

People don't know what turn signals are.

People turning left think oncoming traffic is supposed to yield to them.

People swerve at random into the other lane for no apparent reason and without signaling.

People generally can't operate a steering wheel (drifting in and out of their lane, making inexplicably wide turns)

People don't know who has the right of way at stops signs.

Driving 20mph under the speed limit in the left lane and 3000mph over in the right lane.

Basically the driving style is to mindlessly swerve around at random down the street like you're the only person on the road.

Last edited by jabroni; August 11th, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
jabroni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #15
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10698

Toronto:

- passing on the left or the right on the highway
- driving on the right lane to bypass bumper to bumper in the left lane then squeezing in at the front
- driving 100 km/h in the snow
- coming to a complete stop, then getting out to go to the doughnut shop
- cutting off streetcars
- swearing at taxi drivers
- doing a U-turn absolutely anywhere
- swerving across 4 lanes in about 4 seconds at 140 km/h to make an off ramp
- driving in bike lanes

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #16
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
When people know that a 4-lane road will turn into a 2-lane road they switch to the necessary lane often kilometres before the merge, unlike the zipper style merge which is less obstructive for traffic. But if you keep driving normally until it's reasonable to switch lanes, drivers are pretty reluctant to let you do that.
As it ought to be, and as it is in the States. I'll merge as far before the supposed merge area as possible and if you try to wait til the last moment to change lanes you're a greedy ******* who's trying to cut in front of everyone else. The zipper theory only applies if there's an equal amount of traffic in each lane, which of course there never is because people know the lane ahead will end, either because they know the area or because there's a sign for it.

As someone else comments:
Quote:
Using both lanes until the end results in two cars vying for the same space when one was already there and deserves to go first, while the other is an inconsiderate douchebag who lacks the ability of forethought.
(I prefer the term "douchenozzle.")

Count the number of cars in each lane in this picture, that's generally how it works in the States. No it's actually not how it generally works - usually a few cars in the lane that continues on will drive halfway into the other lane in an attempt to slow down the *******s who try to get in front of them because stuff like this makes people mad.

Last edited by nerdly_dood; August 16th, 2011 at 04:22 AM.
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #17
Agurv

Likes (Received): 0

Pittsburgh left is common here

Driving slow in left lane

Slamming on brakes before tunnel which creates max traffic
Agurv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #18
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2553

In my experience of driving, Manila is a city with no pity when it comes to driving. You have to be aggressive yet cautious when driving here.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 01:26 AM   #19
Sarepava

Likes (Received): 1

Edit: Just come back from two other areas of the UK and can report the following:

East Anglia: 1. Leave your indicator light flashing for several miles after the junction. In fact just keep it on whether you are turning at all or not. 2. Drive really slowly, certainly no less than 20mph under the limit. 3.Never ever check your mirrors to see if the above have annoyed anybody who doesn't live in a county with no hills.

Cumbria/Lakes: Again you can drive really slowly (I actually saw a car overtaken by a truck laden with rocks). For tourists, slamming on the brakes and diving into oncoming traffic to enter a viewpoint on the opposite side of the road is cool, as is some very ambitious overtaking. Left-hand-drive buses, especially really big ones, should ignore signs saying 'Unsuitable for large vehicles' (they're just trying to trick you) and should drive really fast down single-track roads. The 1/4 mile sections of dual carriageway should not be used to overtake fewer than seventeen vehicles.
When parking at a popular tourist destination, position your vehicle in a way that represents the least efficient use of space in the car park.
Old September 11th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #20
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdly_dood View Post
As it ought to be, and as it is in the States. I'll merge as far before the supposed merge area as possible and if you try to wait til the last moment to change lanes you're a greedy ******* who's trying to cut in front of everyone else. The zipper theory only applies if there's an equal amount of traffic in each lane, which of course there never is because people know the lane ahead will end, either because they know the area or because there's a sign for it.
This way of merging is the least efficient way of using the asphalt, and imo those "greedy *******s" are preventing jams getting too long and are using the asphalt as efficient as possible. You can't say they aren't allowed to drive through, since it's just not forbidden. You're talking about an equal amount of traffic: that's only possible when people merge at about the same time. Sometimes I'd wish they were no pre-indicating signs for merging at all, then people maybe would do it automaticly the right way: if you're in the lane that's NOT ending, just let ONE vehicle pass you. Not less and not more.

I usually merge at 200 - 500 meters before the lane ends when traffic flows fluently (100 - 120km/h) and 0 - 200 meters when jammed. In the last, sometimes you have to merge agressively, since there are always some bustards who think you're 'cheating' and won't let you pass.

Last edited by Jeroen669; September 11th, 2011 at 02:52 PM.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote