daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #1001
_nowy_

Likes (Received): 86

They didn't change the height of Warsaw Spire - whole construction will be 220 m high (I mean the main tower) simply the roof is at the height of 180 meters.

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #1002
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxfordWarsaw View Post
I've been to London, HK, LA, NY, Chitown, Frankfurt and Warsaw :] let me tell ya Warsaw is pretty small when compared to giants like that but its not small compared to any other city for that matter. But how can ya compare 17mln City like London to barely 3mln Warsaw. lol. Can't be done guys. Its a different league.

That said Warsaw is really booming right now and it sort of is that save heaven in Europe right now. Lots of folks are jealous that we get so much going on but lets face it, Warsaw needs it. There are plenty of areas that need to be taken care of.
I think Warsaw in 10 years once WS, UBS, echo tower and once ONZ roundabaout will be finished downtown Warsaw will start to impress a lot of people and I mean a lot

But skyscrapers isn't everything, Warsaw needs to clean up the streets, new bus stops, stuff like that.
Hold on here, we're just comparing the size of the skylines. Wouldn't you expect London to have a massive skyline? It is a very prestigious world class city after all.

Even L.A's skyline is quite modest, by American standards.

Highcliff liked this post
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #1003
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Hold on here, we're just comparing the size of the skylines. Wouldn't you expect London to have a massive skyline? It is a very prestigious world class city after all.
It's true that London's skyline is not that large for such a wealthy city, but London has a lot of height restrictions to protect UNESCO world heritage sites at Parliament Square, St Paul's, and the Tower of London -- and then there's also City Airport in the East that restricts height at Canary Wharf. Also, Londoners traditionally hate skyscrapers, although things are changing fast.

Anyway, the original point was: which city will become the biggest and best skyline in Europe? That's why I asked how many proposed skyscrapers Warsaw has. Because London is a fast-growing city with many 200m proposals, dozens of 100m+ proposals, and one 300m under construction. As far as I know, no other city in Europe has as many projects in the pipeline as London. There's also the unique design and high material quality of many of London's skyscrapers, which should be taken into consideration.

I do think, however, that Warsaw could take over both Frankfurt and Paris in the future. It all depends on how long Poland's economic growth lasts.

rychlik, Highcliff liked this post
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 03:10 AM   #1004
rychlik
BANNED

Here are some more planned buildings. Not sure about any start dates.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=584323

Old June 6th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #1005
panthiocodin

Likes (Received): 573

guys don't be silly thinking that Warsaw skyline will take over Paris one! IMHO Paris has got the best most dens skyline in Europe far better then London and anyone else! to me it is not about height of particular skyscrapers that much as about density making an impression where the city center is! true Warsaw is booming now and it's skyline developed much with a lot of projects coming to be launched very very soon but we have to take under consideration that other cities won't wait although I am really happy and proud about what is happening in my capital city at the moment!
panthiocodin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #1006
serhatturkey

Likes (Received): 0

I can say that Istanbul has over 15 milion peple its growing everysecond with economy and everything else.i can compare it even london or paris.But warsow really is not same level for them
serhatturkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #1007
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by serhatturkey View Post
I can say that Istanbul has over 15 milion peple its growing everysecond with economy and everything else.i can compare it even london or paris.But warsow really is not same level for them
Istanbul to Paris or London? Certainly not to Paris.

I posted a couple of pictures on the last page for comparison of London and Warsaw. The quality is quite good in London but the their skyline is pretty modest for such a massive city. Some people act like London's skyline is from another dimension, another galaxy. Please.

panthiocodin, Highcliff liked this post
Old June 6th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #1008
sieradzanin1

Likes (Received): 1046

City vs. city discussions are NOT allowed here. Thanks.

By bartello

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartello View Post
Nie przesadzajcie Panowie...
Nie taki straszny jak go malują.
To moje zdjęcia "pałacu" :

image hosted on flickr

Panorama of Warsaw by night by Kwiatkowski Bartosz, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Warsaw Panorama by Kwiatkowski Bartosz, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Sunset over Warsaw by Kwiatkowski Bartosz, on Flickr

Reszta do obejrzenia na tutaj

Deo, Amrafel, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by sieradzanin1; June 6th, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
sieradzanin1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #1009
Eno
Unqualified anti-expert.

Location: Toronto / Kraków / South Central Nowa Huta / Pazdanland
Likes (Received): 5408

Warsaw is looking good. Lots of great stuff is happening and more is in the pipeline. In another 15 years it'll be an impressive city.

Eno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #1010
thompsongda

Likes (Received): 891

I think it was already mentioned here but... What Warsaw needs now, is time. After all these years of stagnation, communistm and all these bad things, Warsaw can finally grow. Paris, London, even Frankfurt didn't have such problems in the past. That's the main difference.

Deo liked this post
thompsongda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:25 AM   #1011
lukaszek89
BANNED

Likes (Received): 930

nice shots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartello View Post

lukaszek89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #1012
Bjacek

Likes (Received): 7

Warsaw has a big asset in term of future skyline : The space. Neither London or Paris got it. In Warsaw, we have a lot of ugly buildings that the autority can destroy without so many troubles as almost all old buildings in the center and is wola are bad looking. When in Paris, they cannot destroy a lot of buildings in the same area (just look at how the Montparnasse Tower looks ugly in its surrounding)

For that reason, it's almost not possible to compare Warsaw, London, Paris, etc.
Warsaw will have it's own skyline with a big Business Center.

And as some other people that replied before me said :"It's an amazing change when you realize from where Warsaw (and Poland) is coming"

rychlik, Deo, Highcliff liked this post
Bjacek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #1013
rychlik
BANNED

That being said, I hope some interesting older buildings in Warsaw can be preserved.
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #1014
Bjacek

I totally agree with you, i was mostly speaking about those commieblocks everywhere in the city.
Warsaw need to keep its heritage and doesn't have to forget its history in order to look forward.

Does anyone know what are the new revitalization projects in Warsaw?

rychlik, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Bjacek; June 7th, 2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #1015
Piotrek00
semper invicta

Likes (Received): 5247

Sorry, but commieblocks are not being destroyed in the nearest future. Live with it. If any investor wanted to demolish such block, he would have to convince every single owner of the flat to sell it. It would be very difficult, practically impossible.
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #1016
Bjacek

There is no any expropriation law?
Everybody, really have to accept or just a majority (1/2, 3/4)?

Anyway, there is still a lot of space to build new buildings (Ul. Lucka for example, there is more than 2 vacant lots (And i'm not speaking about the Art Norblin project)).
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #1017
Piotrek00
semper invicta

Likes (Received): 5247

Expropriation law can only be used to make space for public investments, like roads etc. but it should be always treated as a last resort - if there are any other ways of dealing with public investments withous expropriation, they should be used. And yes, everyone has to accept - ownership is ownership, it would be unfair if investor could kick you out of your home just because most of your neighbours agreed to sell their homes.
Old June 7th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #1018
Ulv
Batiar

Likes (Received): 774

Quote:
Originally Posted by serhatturkey View Post

wat?
Old June 7th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #1019
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrek00 View Post
Expropriation law can only be used to make space for public investments, like roads etc. but it should be always treated as a last resort - if there are any other ways of dealing with public investments withous expropriation, they should be used. And yes, everyone has to accept - ownership is ownership, it would be unfair if investor could kick you out of your home just because most of your neighbours agreed to sell their homes.
In most countries, including the UK, there is something called a Compulsory Purchase Order, which allows the government to "kick people out" of their homes whether they like it or not. In return they get money and a replacement home. It is used quite regularly when redeveloping social housing, but it can be used just the same with private property.

Presumably some of the "commieblocks" in Warsaw are social housing and are falling apart, so they'll need to be replaced anyway -- the residents can hardly stay in a building that is falling apart. Lots of buildings of that type in London, built before the '80s, are being demolished right now.

Last edited by Loathing; June 7th, 2013 at 04:45 PM.
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #1020
Orionol
Mötesplatsen

Likes (Received): 263

Warsaw still can rebuild or renovate those ugly commieblock into more beautiful buildings. This is something that is happening probably in every cities around Poland.

Tags
warsaw, warszawa