daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:12 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17810

Tokyo Midtown - New Tallest in the City

Thousands throng Tokyo's new skyscraper by Kimiko de Freytas-Tamura
Fri Mar 30, 12:31 PM ET
AFP

Source : http://www.pbase.com/bz3rk/image/61787887

Tokyo opened Friday its tallest skyscraper, welcoming thousands of visitors from businessmen to housewives and young couples eager to explore its upmarket shops and restaurants.

Tokyo Midtown opened its wide glass doors in the morning and within hours thousands were inside, with young women in high heels quickly emerging with shopping bags as the stores did brisk business.

Temporary red-rope fences were installed to manage the flow of people, with a guide stationed every few meters (yards) to assist the overwhelmed newcomer.

Tokyo Midtown, built on the site of the former Defence Agency, is a 69,000 square-metre (741,000 square-foot) expanse that includes 132 shops, restaurants, hospital, museum and a design studio.

Its tower stands at 248 metres (813 feet), making it the tallest structure in the metropolis after the Eiffel Tower-inspired Tokyo Tower.

A Ritz-Carlton Hotel on Midtown's top floors offers the city's most expensive rooms with ones featuring a view of Mount Fuji costing 2.1 million yen (18,000 US dollars) a night.

Tokyo's latest giant urban complex enjoyed sunny spring weather on its opening day, as clusters of people admired the blooming cherry trees in its one-and-a-half hectares (four acres) of green space.

Elderly men took pictures of the scenery with their cameras, while younger couples snapped away with their cell phones and others walked dogs.

"Midtown is great because of the greenery," said Ayako Kimura, 27, an employee at one of the companies in Midtown, on a lunch break.

"It's very calm and the wide open space means that even if there are many people, there's no traffic and it's easy to navigate," she added, biting into a sandwich as she sat on a bench with two colleagues.

In one corner of Midtown is the 21-21 Design Site, an institute conceptualized by renowned architect Tadao Ando and fashion designer Issey Miyake.

"I came here today especially because I like Ando's architecture and design," said 18-year-old Tsukuru Goto, off from school on spring vacation.

Tokyo Midtown is the latest upscale development in the central Roppongi district, long a haven for foreigners and sleazy nightlife.

Tokyo Midtown is a short walk from the similarly envisioned Roppongi Hills, which quickly became a playground for well-heeled young entrepreneurs after opening in 2003.

Some visitors credited Tokyo Midtown with mixing traditional Japanese elements and modern design. The project was overseen by US firm Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, best known for Chicago's Sears Tower, the tallest building in the United States.

"I like that there are Japanese aspects in the design of Midtown. Since there are a lot of foreigners in Ropppongi it's nice to have some Japanese-ness," Goto said.

The main tower features tall bamboo trees stretching towards the ceilings, while a curved wooden Asian-style bridge connects the main gallery with the outside park.

But Tokyo Midtown is also home to high-end foreign shops appearing in Japan for the first time.

Japanese shoppers crowded around Noka Chocolate -- which sells truffles to customers in Hollywood -- with prices starting at 2,100 yen (18 dollars) for one centimetre of chocolate.

But despite the initial rush to see the highly promoted complex, some customers wondered if they would come regularly.

"I'm not sure whether I will shop here. Shops seem too expensive," said Kimura, the employee at a Midtown office.

"It's nice but I think this is more of a place for young couples to go on dates, like my son. Not for housewives like me!" laughed Kiyoko Fumoto, 60.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:00 PM   #2
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

great tower, but i think tokyo needs also a supertall i think
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:31 PM   #3
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Finally finished. Great addition to already incredible and ever developing Tokyo. The seemingly random mixture of low-, mid- and highrise is very interesting and puts size into perspective

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #4
ALKUN

Likes (Received): 18

I LOVE IT.
IT'S A GREAT TOWER.
ALKUN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #5
NegaSado
Needs more Tokyo!

Likes (Received): 43

Does it have an observation deck?
NegaSado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #6
Unsing

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaSado View Post
No. Highest floors house the Ritz-Carlton hotel.
Unsing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #7
Sbz2ifc

Likes (Received): 29

I looked for some more pictures on Flickr...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
Old April 6th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #8
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The complex was featured on the front cover of the latest edition of U Travel, a Hong Kong travel and lifestyle magazine :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #9
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 32

im not certain but is it because they live on or close to an active fault line that Toyko, the biggest and one the the 3 largest finacial centers in the world dosent have a taller and dense skyline?
FastFerrari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #10
AM Putra

Likes (Received): 5

It's number one. The highest there.
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #11
MasonicStage™
Super Moderator

a-ha...great tower. but I would never say that it's the tallest.
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #12
Skyman
LA Resident

Likes (Received): 1377

Good for Tokyo
Skyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #13
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2573

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaSado View Post
Just like what Unsing said, it has none Tokyo Tower still has one of the best observation decks in the city.

I like the tower's futuristic look. But honestly The Cityhall Tower is better off as the tallest building.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #14
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
im not certain but is it because they live on or close to an active fault line that Toyko, the biggest and one the the 3 largest finacial centers in the world dosent have a taller and dense skyline?
The technology is there to build quake-proof skyscrapers, but it's very costly. Tokyo is amazing at the street level, which more than compensates for the lack of a big skyline.

Old May 19th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #15
sdtj
-°- America's Finest -°-

Likes (Received): 57

Love this tower, Japanese buildings are so classy.

El peor enemigo de la verdad no es la mentira, sino la estupidez.
Lo tengo todo, por no querer mas nada..
sdtj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:25 PM   #16
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://www.pbase.com/jensfoto/pad

Old August 31st, 2010, 06:44 PM   #17
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3702

I made a drawing of it for SSP several years ago. Nice to see the real building!

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 02:10 PM   #18
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6267

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Yes, its because of the earthquake zone. Tokyo has several strict height restrictions making the skyscrapers squat and bulky. In fact the city has the largest average floorspace for its buildings, but they are forced down into massive blocky spaces, or multiple towers. In any other city the towers would be half as thin and twice as tall:

these 3 'towers' are actually on one floorplan

The Ropponggi Hills Tower has almost the same floorspace as the Sears Tower, even though its a fraction of the height:

If you read between the lines, in effect Tokyo would have the tallest skyline in the world if it weren't for these restrictions.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; September 1st, 2010 at 02:19 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote