daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old April 4th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #1
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 32

Sutton Coldfield thread

Well I finally went to Sutton this morning with the camera to get some pictures!

The weather was dull at the start and as the day went on, it got perkier (it's sunny now ). And I managed to walk home and get blisters the size of pancakes .

So here we go. Keep all arms and legs in the vehicle at all times . I'll just run through the pictures first with their respective descriptions.

New luxury apartments on the Lichfield Road/ Midland Drive. They were finished last year and are a real improvement on what was there before. The shop on the ground floor was refurbished and changed from Chauns to College News. Prices have hiked.

This building is empty but its gorgeous. It has to be listed. It is opposite the photo above.

Sutton town centre. Not the prettiest place in the world but its bearable.

Another gorgeous building. It is home to some lawyers and co and I think it may have extended down the road a bit more.

This building was finished last year and there is currently a betting shop and Subway here. One unit is vacant and has turned into a pissing hole.

The Sutton Coldfield Untied Reformed Church. Hidden behind the dreadful Gracechurch centre.

Here's Sutton Coldfield's closest thing to a high rise block. Isn't it just gorgeous?

Behind the Gracechurch Centre we have this new build (it is under construction on the latest Google Earth imagery). You can see this from miles because of the hill.

Holy Trinity Church! The most memorable part of Sutton Coldfield (after Sutton Park). It is an old Norman church with gardens out front (Vesey Gardens, dedicated to Bishop John Vesey who made Sutton what it is now).

Back on the Lichfield Road and I noticed this old building which looks fab.

Looking down the Lichfield Road to Holy Trin.

Looking down the Lichfield Road to The Royal Hotel.

Sutton College

Sutton police station and magistrates court. The fire station is at the very end.

Best baps in Brum

AN ABSOLUTE GEM! I found this whilst walking away from the town hall and it is currently being used for storage for the Royal Hotel. This needs to be bought back and refurbed - it's beautiful!

Sutton Town Hall. A gorgeous building now used as a theatre venue and as neighbourhood offices. It was a hotel but was converted and extended into the town hall in 1906.

Ivy House. A recently completed refurb. Now luxury apartments (albeit very pokey).

Rectory Park. OK I got lost here but I managed to get some snaps whilst looking for an exit (and being followed by a man with a big dog). I also saw some rat like animal which doesn't run to move away, but hops... any ideas?

The tower crane on the Rectory Road building the new houses:

Good Hope through the trees:

A tree!

I managed to get here after my park hike:

New Hall Country Park:

New Hall Manor Estate (my future home):

Other pictures:
Looking over to Signal Hayes:

More construction work by Gracechurch:

Apologies for the grainy pictures. I don't know why they look so grainy and I don't know how to get rid of it so I'll be asking the likes Medo for some help
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 4th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Gracechurch: City Lofts development

OK, development is rife behind the Gracechurch Shopping Centre and it is starting to resemble Snow Hill (just without the tower crane).

The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old April 4th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 68

There are some real beauts in Sutton centre for sure.
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #4
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Yep. The best are on Coleshill Street and Lichfield Street. There are so many listed buildings around there. When you go into the town centre itself, it is all doom and gloom.

Old April 4th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #5
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 36

u did get really lost, didn't ya lol

my beautiful united reformed church, hate 'the mall' wanting to demolish it for further shops, stupid americans lol.

think we got 2 buidings close to high rise, the other one being used by the observer up by the odeon.

nice one Erebus!

Last edited by GrAfiK_248; April 5th, 2007 at 12:16 AM.
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #6
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Oh yep! I forgot about that 'highrise'. I think No Hope Hospital currently holds the tallest.

Old April 4th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #7
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 68

I like the pictures of one of the parks with the rooftops in the distance, I could look at pictures like that for hours.
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #8
GrAfiK_248

oh ye:P richard salt block lol
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #9
Markb03

Likes (Received): 13

No Sutton Coldfield mast
Markb03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #10
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Too far away to walk! But I did see it in the distance when I went to the Reddicap tower blocks.

Old April 4th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #11
Markb03

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
Too far away to walk! But I did see it in the distance when I went to the Reddicap tower blocks.
I can see it from Erdington Train station at night all lit up but not in the day
Markb03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #12
blahblah
Change is Here!

Likes (Received): 2

When I'm rich enough, this is where I'm moving to.

Sutton is a lovely place, town centre could do with some improvements, but it's still a damn site better than Erdo!

Nice pictures Erebus!
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #13
Matt M

Likes (Received): 0

I really liked the pictures. I've visited Sutton a few times and I think it is a very attractive town with some lovely old buildings. I also think the town centre could do with improvements- some people think Sutton has declined in terms of shopping in recent decades. I think the town would do really well if it had some Solihull-type shops (like those in Touchwood). I notied when I last visited that Allders department store had been closed and was going to be replaced by an Aldi. Not what I would have expected for Sutton Coldfield.

I've also walked around the area close to the famous TV mast, and it is beautiful around there, with very attractive open countryside and Hill Hook seems a really pleasant area.
Matt M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #14
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Yep, Aldi has opened. To be fair, it is quite an attractive Aldi. It looks a lot more sophisticated and modern than your average!

In terms of shopping, I'm not sure. It's having ups and downs. There are also the In Shops which are effectively Sutton Markets but with a dodgy name. They have had a recent refurb and are looking... better.

Sutton Coldfield is getting the attention it deserves. The Gracechurch development by City Lofts is basically an extension to the existing shopping centre, which itself has had a recent refurb with a new roof.

The area's picking up and I haven't even started on all the housing estates springing up everywhere!

Old April 5th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #15
GrAfiK_248

four oaks is where i would love to live, because ya not too far from the countryside and the city and have a lovely big house lol

in the last 2 years, all the good shops dissapeared from sutton, use to have the virgin megastore, mvc, sainsburys (turned into wilkinsons ehh!), jjb sports, im sure there's a few more. It is abit up and down at the moment, good shops come and then they go in a year in sutton.

'the mall' is trying to compare gracechurch with touchwood in solihull, can't see it!
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #16
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1026

Nice photos Erebus!

There really is nothing like a town right by the countryside yet joined onto a city - my kinda place.

I've never even seen the High Street (or whatever it's called) before. It looks a bit on the dull side but maybe that was just the weather at the time.

A lot of the buildings look quite regal and that's a nice lickle brown "skyscraper" too - very clean looking!

And now to the tower blocks thread...
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #17
Mercurius
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 40

Erebus i commend ur efforts it is no small feat walking arounf sutton and getting the pics that u have acheived, their excellent shame about the weather though. I actually go to Sutton College so have the pleasure of walking around the town daily. ps Rectory park is quite a walk!!!!
Mercurius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #18
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
Erebus i commend ur efforts it is no small feat walking arounf sutton and getting the pics that u have acheived, their excellent shame about the weather though. I actually go to Sutton College so have the pleasure of walking around the town daily. ps Rectory park is quite a walk!!!!
Thanks . And I'll think I'll be taking a map of sorts with me when I next go to Rectory Park. It looks so much smaller on Google Earth .

Old April 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #19
Mercurius
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 40

Lol too true! i used to play football on there on a sunday and there is football fields everywhere so for u to walk round there is quite an effort. Would u class Four oaks as in Sutton as there are some nice buildings around there, altho a bit too far for one trip!
Mercurius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #20
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Four Oaks is definitely in Sutton Coldfield; there's a whole ward named after it (Sutton Four Oaks). I think Sutton's most northerly boundary is at Blake Street Station though I'm not sure, I'll try and find out.

Rectory Park does have quite a few pitches. I thought I was walking around in circles at one point because there were so many! There's a nice little cricket square there too, though not kept in the best conditions by the look of the weeds creeping through the surface.