daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #61
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 94

Tut tut, snobbery is a terrible thing, I hope you're ashamed of yourselves

Sponsored Links

Old July 15th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #62
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYCAKES View Post
You'll actually find quite a lot of the chavs you refer to come from Four Oaks, Mere Green, Boldmere and outside Sutton itself. To say that Falcon Lodge is in some way 'holding Sutton back' begs the question holding it back from what exactly? You display the least attractive trait of many a Suttonian, namely snobbishness.
Erebuss is not from sutton. Rite? lol

where your from BabyCakes? I do agree many are from Boldmere, not liking that area so much.
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #63
BABYCAKES

Likes (Received): 1

I am a born and bred Suttonian, now living in Erdington..gasp horror!
Old July 16th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #64
blahblah
Change is Here!

Likes (Received): 2

I live in erdo too. It ain't that bad. The high street could do with a couple of nicely placed cruise missiles lobbing at it, however.
blahblah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #65
GrAfiK_248

the site at six ways has steelwork up, suddenly sprung to life.
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #66
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 331

Any renders for this site Graffo?

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #67
GrAfiK_248

I don't know, blahblah might know
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #68
GrAfiK_248

oh yeah, the yenton pub in wydle green is no longer. Its having a new lick of paint, the outside done, and is going to be a mexican restuarant.

They are planting new trees and laying grass at the front. Looks alot different from all the concrete around, gives abit of colour to wylde green
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #69
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

I noticed. It's looking good!

As for me, I am snobby - I can admit. It's come from the years I spent growing up in Yardley and watching the place deteriorate over the years because of the hoards of youths that spend their days hanging around on the street, irritating others instead of getting an education or getting a job.

I understand that there are such people that come from Four Oaks/ Mere Green/ Wylde Green etc etc. But I see the vast majority of them hopping on and off the 114, 115, 915, 914 or whatever which always passes through the Lodge. And everytime I'm on the bus passing through Walmley, I hear a member of at least one couple/ group ask if the other is getting off at "the vale". I hate it. Sutton needs work done to it now before it starts to deteriorate just like Yardley did.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #70
blahblah
Change is Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrAfiK_248 View Post
I don't know, blahblah might know
Sorry. Don't know either. I've seen a PDF of the new road layout, but no renders. (Last page of this PDF)

Heard something about a medical centre / doctors surgery but I dunno for certain.

Last edited by blahblah; July 19th, 2007 at 08:35 PM.
blahblah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 01:33 AM   #71
BABYCAKES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
I noticed. It's looking good!

As for me, I am snobby - I can admit. It's come from the years I spent growing up in Yardley and watching the place deteriorate over the years because of the hoards of youths that spend their days hanging around on the street, irritating others instead of getting an education or getting a job.

I understand that there are such people that come from Four Oaks/ Mere Green/ Wylde Green etc etc. But I see the vast majority of them hopping on and off the 114, 115, 915, 914 or whatever which always passes through the Lodge. And everytime I'm on the bus passing through Walmley, I hear a member of at least one couple/ group ask if the other is getting off at "the vale". I hate it. Sutton needs work done to it now before it starts to deteriorate just like Yardley did.
They wouldn't really ask if one or the other was getting off at 'The Vale' (thats Castle Vale to you and I), as none of the aforementioned buses go through it. Why shouldn't Castle Vale be shortened to the vale? Get a life you plonka...start worrying about something important.
Old July 21st, 2007, 03:44 PM   #72
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYCAKES View Post
They wouldn't really ask if one or the other was getting off at 'The Vale' (thats Castle Vale to you and I), as none of the aforementioned buses go through it. Why shouldn't Castle Vale be shortened to the vale? Get a life you plonka...start worrying about something important.
You totally misunderstood what I said there. I don't care about the name of Castle Vale. It was just the winning name of some competition to name the estate in the 1960s. I just hate how Sutton is just deteriorating. All these developments really aren't addressing the problems in the town centre.

I wasn't saying the 114, 115 etc etc go through Castle Vale, I was saying they go through Falcon Lodge. And it is from those buses that I see the majority of those people getting off.

And don't go calling me a plonker. If worrying about the ever-deteriorating state of Sutton is not important, then what the blooming hell is? Plonker
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 05:44 PM   #73
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1222

The area round where I live has deteriorated since I was young too. I've lived in this house all my life but it wasn't until they built a new estate nearby that housed people from a rough estate in Dudley that we started having vandalism and people's houses being broken into down our road. The houses were built in 1996 and our road suffered a lot of break ins that same year - my sister had her car stolen off the drive and we had an attempted break in. Then there's the other problems in the road. Before that it was a quiet area. They're all just jealous anyway.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:55 PM   #74
BABYCAKES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
You totally misunderstood what I said there. I don't care about the name of Castle Vale. It was just the winning name of some competition to name the estate in the 1960s. I just hate how Sutton is just deteriorating. All these developments really aren't addressing the problems in the town centre.

I wasn't saying the 114, 115 etc etc go through Castle Vale, I was saying they go through Falcon Lodge. And it is from those buses that I see the majority of those people getting off.

And don't go calling me a plonker. If worrying about the ever-deteriorating state of Sutton is not important, then what the blooming hell is? Plonker
The ever deteriorating state of Sutton Coldfield as you put it, if you believe it really is happening can more directly be attributed to Birmingham City Council. Ask those who knew Sutton pre 1974, when it was taken under Birmingham's wing, what it was like before and what it is like now.
Birmingham welcomed Sutton. Why? because of the 100,000 or so extra (mainly) comfortable council tax payers. Inward investment back to Sutton? Virtually non-existant.
If you genuinely feel Sutton is on the decline, then aim your fire at those directly responsible. Namely Birmingham City Council, not a few chavs from Falcon Lodge.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 02:16 PM   #75
flying tackle
time for a change

Likes (Received): 5

what deteriorates places is the people there..mainly the youths. they make the biggest impact. And the reason why sutton amongst other places is deteriorating is simply because of the idolisation of hip hop and modern rn'b which then brings on the idolisation of being black or a gangster, which then brings on alot of kids (including white kids) to act like theyre gangsters.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:04 PM   #76
GrAfiK_248

can't agree

i listen to hiphop and rnb and i may act gangsta at times but i sure do not make sutton any worse.

Last edited by GrAfiK_248; July 22nd, 2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:11 PM   #77
ShavenHeaden

Likes (Received): 0

That's not physical deterioration though, which is what has come about from lack of investment.

That said I do agree, I can't stand chavs and the like - I think they can ruin areas, but in social ways, not through physical deterioration (in terms of buildings, streets etc).
ShavenHeaden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 08:16 PM   #78
blahblah
Change is Here!

There's quite a bit of Ali G style comedy in someone from Four Oaks trying to act Gangsta though don't you think?

Me grew up on de (private) street init?
Old July 22nd, 2007, 08:53 PM   #79
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 272

I really dont think this is a Sutton Coldfield problem, no way. Exactly the same thing is happening to Solihull town centre, a few years ago you would never see such a thing as a "Chav", now its full of them especially on saturday afternoons. Alot of these people do come over the border from places like Acocks green and Sheldon, LOL.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 09:37 PM   #80
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 21

i blame the 451, its allowed all the kingstanding lot to get into sutton lol
brummad no está en línea   Reply With Quote