daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 14th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #101
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 41

Passenger line could run through park
JOHN NEWTON

10:30 - 14 September 2007

Sutton Park's rail tracks could once again carry passengers under a congestion-busting plan for new stations in town.

The line, which links Water Orton to Walsall, currently carries freight only, but commuter trains ran years ago.Amid impending large-scale developments and increased traffic, the idea is to promote public transport to people who need to access Sutton from the Walmley-Minworth area and vice versa. The same follows for motorists who commute between Walsall and Sutton.

The council is tentatively exploring the possibility of creating a station at the up-for-grabs postal sorting office site on Upper Clifton Road, Sutton.

Historically the site had served as a depot for trains.

Another idea is to explore the feasibility of creating a station among the industrial development earmarked for Minworth which is set to use neighbouring Midpoint Park as its template.

"Over the last 12 months, it has really become clear how much development is imminent in Sutton," said Councillor David Pears, chairman of the local strategic planning and park advisory committees.

"We also have a growing population in Sutton Coldfield which became apparent when the fourth ward - Trinity ward - was created.

"There are growing populations in Walmley and Streetly and we've also got traffic congestion, noticeably along Lichfield Road between Four Oaks and the town centre. Instead of reacting to situations, I'm asking about proactively looking ahead to improve life for residents and businesses."

Last week, a report suggested that Sutton was among the worst places in the country to start a business due to flawed transport links.

Cllr Pears said: "It may help to relieve some of the traffic issues if people use the train.

"But if, for example, the postal sorting site is developed without having explored these ideas, we may lose that space when it could be opened as a station."

His comments come ahead of Monday's Constituency Committee meeting in which a transport chief will deliver 'a briefing on the possibility of reinstating passenger services on the freight-only Sutton Park railway line between Walsall and Birmingham'.

Cllr Pears explained: "It has been ten years since the last study into the feasibility of such a project; let's again study the potential and see if we can get the line or some of it open.

"It's not going to happen next year or the year after, but if we don't keep it on the agenda and make a start, the opportunity will be lost.

"If it's a go-er, perhaps the council could then encourage Centro to look to do something at the sorting site."

The Constituency Committee meeting, which is open to the public, is set for 7.30pm on Monday, September 17 at the council chamber, Sutton Coldfield Town Hall, Upper Clifton Road

I would be really excited if this happened, taking the train through sutton park, through sutton town centre, then past my school see a different view
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 15th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #102
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1215

I've stood on a bridge in the north part of Sutton Park and watched slow freight trains go underneath. There's something quite exciting about it!
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #103
GrAfiK_248

I have a vague understanding of how it goes through sutton and out again, so it would be very exciting!
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #104
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&ma...est%20Midlands
Old September 15th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #105
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

The latest headline from the Sutton News is that the plans for a passenger line here has hit the buffers . I don't think there really is a need for it to be honest.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #106
GrAfiK_248

My dad says there is, and he knows the shizz about trains.

I personally would like to get to the skatepark at mosely, so it would be pretty easy if it was opened to passengers. People who live at curdworth, castle vale would have easier access to birmingham or sutton coldfield and my mate could get to walsall college pretty quick. Take alot of pressure off new street.
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #107
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

I've noticed over the last couple of days that this building appears to be undergoing a refurbishment of sorts. It's been empty for a while so anything to breathe some life into it is much needed.

The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old September 25th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #108
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Lovely buildings. That weather vane is rather grand too.
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #109
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

It is a gorgeous building. I hope to go and do another photography day in Sutton again soon to get some better pictures. The weather isn't great though.

I had a look at the Brassington Avenue site today. Nothing going on but it looks so much bigger when you're standing in it (I trespassed but the entrance was wise open). The gradient of the land is pretty steep as well. They've levelled our the area alongside the railway line but then there is a drop down the side towards the hoardings.

Old September 26th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #110
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I very rarely venture to SC but I must admit the skyline coming off the motorway is possibly the best vantage point in the city. Same you cant stop.
Flogging Molly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #111
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Demolition planned for tower blocks
Be the first reader to comment on this story
AMY BOWEN

10:30 - 28 September 2007

Two tower blocks are to be demolished and a third sold in the latest phase of redevelopment for Erdington's Lyndhurst Estate.

The 16-storey Harlech tower, on Wilmot Drive, and 12-storey Burcombe tower, in Old Bell Road, are to be knocked down, while Standleys tower, on Rogerfield Road, is to be offered for sale for redevelopment.Residents in Harlech will be re-homed between now and next April, while those in Burcombe and Stanleys Tower will be moved by April 2009.

The decision brings the council a step closer to realising a five-year regeneration scheme - aimed at improving the whole of Erdington - which began in 2003.

"For too long this estate was neglected, so it is wonderful to see the City Council now taking so seriously the problems which residents suffer from on the estate," said Erdington resident and campaigner for the redevelopment, Jessie Holland.

"This proposal being agreed means that the redevelopment can continue apace."

Other changes will see the relocation of Lindsworth School and the Malcolm Locker Centre. The Normanhurst Elderly Care Home has already been identified for closure as part of the council's review into elderly peoples' accommodation.

Sports and play areas on the estate are also to be re-located within the area.

"We are delighted that this proposal has been confirmed as it is something we have been lobbying for over the last few years, and something which is for the benefit of the estate and residents as a whole," said Erdington councillor Robert Alden.

"Following a campaign by ourselves and local residents, which included a petition to the Council, it is wonderful to see confirmation that it is the Council's intention to ensure that there remain community facilities on the redeveloped estate."
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #112
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

What does it mean that the other tower block will be "offered for sale"? Does that mean it will remain and be done up by someone?
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #113
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 93

Or sold to a different developer to destroy and replace with some red brick and render boxes...
Telfordboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #114
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Shock as Gwen pops in for a pint Sep 28 2007

STAFF and guests at a quiet Sutton Coldfield pub did a double take when flamboyant international pop star Gwen Stefani dropped in for a bite.

The American, in town for her sell-out show at the National Indoor Arena this week, posed for snaps with staff at the Bassetts Pole pub.

Gwen, whose hits include What Are You Waiting For? and Wind It Up, had earlier been to nearby Twycross Zoo with husband Gavin Rossdale, the singer with rock band Bush, and their one-year-old son Kingston.

The 37-year-old Californian, who stopped at New Hall Hotel, enjoyed a prawn cocktail starter followed by lasagne.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant manager Sue Wright said: "She came in with Gavin and Kingston and they stopped for around an hour. They had been to Twycross Zoo and apparently had a lovely time there.

"Gwen was very friendly and didn't mind when staff asked to have their photos taken with her. I was too shy to speak to her."

She added that one of the pub's other guests bought the family a drink and that Gwen left a 'substantial' tip for her waitress.

Until now the biggest names to visit the Bassetts Pole have included Wizzard frontman Roy Wood and TV presenter Nick Hancock.
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #115
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

That's where the bikers hang out isn't it? I bet Ms. Stefani had heavy security with her.

Whatever happened to Bush??
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #116
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
Whatever happened to Bush?
Sounds like a 70s skin flick.
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #117
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Surely you remember Bush - the mid to late 90s rockish group?
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #118
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Tbh I really don't, I hated rock music back then...
Old September 28th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #119
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Oh.

Well I remember most chart music since before I was born.

Last edited by Butterfield; September 28th, 2007 at 04:21 PM. Reason: dfkgdfkvgfd
Old September 28th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #120
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

I have to go exploring for it based on other peoples recommendations usually. Although I tend to remember the really popish stuff.