daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old September 28th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #121
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 893

Mmmm well Bush weren't that popular anyway. They were like a Nirvana-ish British group who were actually more successful in the US than here and the lead singer married Gwen Stefani.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 28th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #122
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 61

I love Nirvana, maybe I should do some digging into Bush.

Can you remember their most famous tune?
Telfordboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #123
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Digging into Bush would be a good idea. I can't remember any of their choons but their most popular album was called "16 (or Sixteen) Stone". I'd look on Wikipedia but I can't be bothered - so you can feel free to if you want.
Old September 28th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #124
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

I was trying to not make that sound wrong. I might have a lookieloo a little later if I remember.
Old September 28th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #125
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogging Molly View Post
Demolition planned for tower blocks
Be the first reader to comment on this story
AMY BOWEN

10:30 - 28 September 2007

Two tower blocks are to be demolished and a third sold in the latest phase of redevelopment for Erdington's Lyndhurst Estate.

The 16-storey Harlech tower, on Wilmot Drive, and 12-storey Burcombe tower, in Old Bell Road, are to be knocked down, while Standleys tower, on Rogerfield Road, is to be offered for sale for redevelopment.Residents in Harlech will be re-homed between now and next April, while those in Burcombe and Stanleys Tower will be moved by April 2009.

The decision brings the council a step closer to realising a five-year regeneration scheme - aimed at improving the whole of Erdington - which began in 2003.

"For too long this estate was neglected, so it is wonderful to see the City Council now taking so seriously the problems which residents suffer from on the estate," said Erdington resident and campaigner for the redevelopment, Jessie Holland.

"This proposal being agreed means that the redevelopment can continue apace."

Other changes will see the relocation of Lindsworth School and the Malcolm Locker Centre. The Normanhurst Elderly Care Home has already been identified for closure as part of the council's review into elderly peoples' accommodation.

Sports and play areas on the estate are also to be re-located within the area.

"We are delighted that this proposal has been confirmed as it is something we have been lobbying for over the last few years, and something which is for the benefit of the estate and residents as a whole," said Erdington councillor Robert Alden.

"Following a campaign by ourselves and local residents, which included a petition to the Council, it is wonderful to see confirmation that it is the Council's intention to ensure that there remain community facilities on the redeveloped estate."
TWO?! We were told that only one would be demolished. It seems like that the other towers could also be demolished too. Shame .

I saw a render for a building quite briefly today in the window of an estate agents. It looked quite average. I have a feeling it maybe a render for the refurb of the building on the Birmingham Road. Also, the building that I said was being refurbed, has been taken off the market so it seems possible. The building next to it that was also for let has been taken off.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #126
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

According to Sutton Observer, councillors are considering a BID for Sutton Coldfield. There is currently one for Broad Street and Erdington town centre. A BID would be very helpful for Sutton.

A report has also stated that the creation of a bypass by the widening of the Holland Road (which runs next to the cinema) is unlikely. If it were to happen, chance are the houses opposite the cinema would be bought and demolished. A bypass has been considered in Sutton for over 50 years and it's desperately needed. Birmingham Road needs widening but that just can't happen now. Brassington Avenue was good for when it was done but work needs to be done to many other areas. The Parade is incredibly congested.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old October 5th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #127
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 24

Where would the bypass end up at? Difficult situation sutton is in.
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #128
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

I don't care as long as it doesn't munch into any more of Sutton Park.
Old October 5th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #129
CityGent
In the aeroplane over B1

Likes (Received): 84

I'll plug a bit of my research (I am fascinated by urban road schemes)

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/...ighlight=a5127
CityGent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #130
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGent View Post
I'll plug a bit of my research (I am fascinated by urban road schemes)

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/...ighlight=a5127
Thanks for that! Interesting stuff!

Old October 8th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #131
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Scaffolding has gone up that building on the High Street.

As I said on the main thread, I can see thick smoke coming from Maney/ Sutton town centre area. I can also hear sirens like those on a fire engine.

Old October 13th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #132
blahblah
Change is Here!

Likes (Received): 2

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere (and I can't find the Erdo thread either!)

I just got back from holiday and discovered that some mindless **** or cunts have done this to St. Barnabas church on Erdington High St. Perhaps that was the smoke & fire engines you were referring to Erebus?

Quote:

A BLAZE which destroyed a church described as the "the jewel in the heart of Erdington" was started deliberately, police chiefs confirmed today.

Detectives said they were treating the fire which engulfed St Barnabas Church as arson following the results of forensic tests at the scene.

The 18th Century Grade II listed building was gutted by the fire which was first spotted at about 6am last Thursday.

More than 75 firefighters were drafted in to tackle the flames which shot more than 100ft in the air and could be seen for miles around.

ICBirmingham

To the mindless fucking imbeciles who did this, I hope you're fucking happy with your work. Fucking scum.
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #133
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere (and I can't find the Erdo thread either!)

I just got back from holiday and discovered that some mindless **** or cunts have done this to St. Barnabas church on Erdington High St. Perhaps that was the smoke & fire engines you were referring to Erebus?

ICBirmingham

To the mindless fucking imbeciles who did this, I hope you're fucking happy with your work. Fucking scum.
Nope, that church burned down a few days before I saw the smoke. We have a thread on that somewhere...

Old October 15th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #134
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Discount Holiday Shop

Old October 15th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #135
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

What was your reason for checking out the centre of the universe, then? Thanks for the pics - shame about the weather.

This is a pretty depressing shot.

Old October 15th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #136
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Study visit

I'd take what you have for what we have anyday, you might have a 70s retail area but at least it has real streets

That was only my third ever visit to Sutton, the 1st time I only went to the park, the 2nd I accidentally called my boss a twat and the 3rd, it rained most of the time.

Although the decibel and air pollution levels are much lower in central Telford, so we have at least one victory
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #137
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Oh, I've got a few pics of the arse end of the Grace Church centre that I might post as well
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #138
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 24

Nice pics TB. shame about the weather
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #139
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

T-Man, whenever you post photos you always treat us to a lot of them, and they load quickly which is always a bonus. And you managed to get Sutton's skyscraperlet.

Erebus - I actually like that particular photo as you can imagine back in the day cars going down that road past the shops, before it got pedestrianised. It is a bit dull though.
Old October 16th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #140
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Oh, sorry, I just don't like chosing which ones to use. Telfords scraperlet is bigger than Suttons