daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area > Skyway Lounge

Skyway Lounge Discussions about the Tampa Bay area community.... news, nightlife, attractions, sports, events, etc.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 5th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #1
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 225

Tampa Bay History Center

Center Set To Make History
Skip directly to the full story.
By JANIS D. FROELICH The Tampa Tribune

Published: Apr 5, 2007

DOWNTOWN - When Clarence Joseph "C.J." Roberts stepped out of his car on a bright, breezy afternoon, he remarked that it's unusual to be at the site of the proposed Tampa Bay History Center.

Roberts, the center's president and chief executive officer, is used to working in cramped quarters in the Tampa Convention Center complex. But the sandy lot next to Garrison Channel where he stood, squinting into the sun, will soon be a construction site for the new center, about 10 times larger than the present space.

The five-story, 55,000-square-foot building will give the St. Pete Times Forum some company in the pocket next to the Channel District.

Roberts is pleased with the reworked plans from Boston architect Brad Nederhoff. He said contractor bids will be accepted until April 17, followed by a June groundbreaking for a November 2008 completion.

When the plan was presented last year there was concern about too much sun seeping through the glass fašade. Roberts said the building now will face the water on its 2Ż-acre lot.

"This takes advantage of the water for views as well as provides more shade," he said.

Landscaping has been enhanced and more outdoor spaces added; colorful murals about inside exhibits will be featured.

The only wrinkle could be parking. The history center site represents the south end of the city's proposed Riverwalk connecting Channelside to Tampa Heights, and the city wants it to continue the flow of the Cotanchobee/Fort Brooke Park.

Roberts said there will be no parking on the grounds, unlike the original plan. There will be about 37 spaces inside the museum's first floor, but buses will park in marked street spaces or find city lots.

Roberts hopes parking also will be available around the Forum.

Sean Henry, the Tampa Bay Lightning's chief operating officer, said Channel District neighbors, including the Tampa Waterside Marriott and the Channelside complex, work together.

"We know when there's a big wedding at the Marriott and try to ease parking concerns," he said.

"Our philosophy is we don't want one person visiting our area to have a bad experience," Henry said.

Roberts said his staff of eight has been busy planning exhibits for the new space. In the next few months, the museum will announce its fundraising total - the goal is $20 million to complement the county's $17 million pledge made in 1998.

Roberts wouldn't disclose the amount raised so far in private and public contributions. The money will pay for operating the museum, which will increase its staff to 28.

"Our biggest challenge is how to tell the story of this community's history," he said.

"The enjoyable part will be having this institution really reaching everybody," he said.

Reporter Janis D. Froelich can be reached at (813) 835-2104 or jfroelich@tampatrib.com.

http://centraltampa.tbo.com/centralt...B29AH940F.html

Last edited by FloridaFuture; April 5th, 2007 at 09:52 PM.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 5th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #2
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Good thing the design was reworked because the original design was crap. hopefully this looks good. I'm surprised they bring up parking as a problem considering there's all of those lots in on the former O2 site. It would be nice if they made an underground garage under the museum like with the current art museum.

but anyway, since most Forum events are at night, and the museum would be open during the day. I'm sure atleast temparolily the museum could use forum parking gargae.
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #3
smiley

Likes (Received): 103

Stupid location. stupid lack of parking (yea, like people are naturally going to walk from a garage you can't even see from that lot or saunter by on their way to . . .). Facing south - stupid (like that's not where the sun is in summer - and what of the street connection)

Should be in the museum district (screw art) on Ashley. THat lot needs to have a truly active use that helps connect the hotels to channelside
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #4
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 643

^yes... we've always agreed on that point, that's for sure...

this entire project just says "typical Tampa" to me... so I just laugh it off.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #5
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 3

The changed the direction the glass faces from west to south. So now it gets the sun all day long? You can't make this stuff up.
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #6
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 42

:-(
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #7
Jasonhouse

Quote:
"This takes advantage of the water for views as well as provides more shade," Roberts said.
There must be a big overhang there then...

Though I wonder how they will address reflection from the water, which will be plentiful, since the water is typically very calm in Garrison Channel.
Old April 7th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #8
LuvHighrisers

Likes (Received): 15

the St. Pete Times has significant glass exteriors on all sides and is one block from the channel and they have no problem keeping it cool (even when there is no ice down)...we do have this invention called "air condition" which allows us to cool building - heck most of the skyscrapers in downdown have huge glass exteriors...I think you guys are making a bigger deal out of this than it is just because you don't like the location. After all everything doesn't have to be shoved into the same area of Ashley!
LuvHighrisers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #9
Jasonhouse

^the forum is basically a "double hull" design, so the ice is very far removed from the sides of the building. The concern is actually the roof overhead... However, the sunlight and solar gain pouring into the southern side of that building is quite noticeable during the day, and it gets warm in the lobby of the XO Club for midday events, like late season Storm games that I have been to... and along with the constant sunlight pouring in, a southern facing wall of glass sure as heck isn't going to help preserve historic artifacts.

I'm sure that they have addressed all of this, we just don't know what that entails at this point in time... And yes there are quite a few people who question the location, because we know it sucks... That land should have been left alone until it was time to redevelop the whole corner up to Channelside (including VIP East lot), and this museum should have gone up near the TBPAC...

As some of us said a LONG time ago, they could have killed three birds with one stone and moved the German library into the old Fed courthouse, and then smash down German, Poe, Curtis Hixon and Kiley, and get the riverfront and riverwalk done right the first time...
Old April 7th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #10
smiley

Likes (Received): 103

I you have ever had an office on the west side of a building downtown that was not shaded by another building you would agree with these comments.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #11
LuvHighrisers

Likes (Received): 15

I will agree that I think the Old Courthouse is a much better place for the Germany Library than where it is now - in fact the current library would make a great artificial reef somewhere out there in the Gulf!
LuvHighrisers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #12
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvHighrisers View Post
the St. Pete Times has significant glass exteriors on all sides and is one block from the channel and they have no problem keeping it cool (even when there is no ice down)...we do have this invention called "air condition" which allows us to cool building - heck most of the skyscrapers in downdown have huge glass exteriors...I think you guys are making a bigger deal out of this than it is just because you don't like the location. After all everything doesn't have to be shoved into the same area of Ashley!
Are you kidding...they admitted that the western view would get too much sun so the changed it to a southern view....

Southern views in FL get sun all day, everyday. Glass can only stop a limited amount of the sun's radiation, thus the area inside the glass will be a hot sun o' a bitch......
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #13
Lakelander

Likes (Received): 565

Here's the construction documents to the history center:

http://internetjobsite.net/drawings/...toryA01A52.pdf
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #14
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 42

Elevations look sort of dull. It's about what you'd expect: modern but conservative. I wish I could read all the notes... they probably reveal more about the different types of cladding.
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #15
Robert.Maddrey
Native Floridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim98 View Post
Elevations look sort of dull. It's about what you'd expect: modern but conservative. I wish I could read all the notes... they probably reveal more about the different types of cladding.

I agree, honestly to me it looks rather lack luster. I'm not seeing where it will fit in with the rest of the architecture in the Channel District but time shall tell. At least they will have their own structure and not a closet in the base of the convention center.

Down Shift Magazine
>> My Photos of Tampa <<
Robert.Maddrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #16
AKBTampa

Likes (Received): 6

Thanks Lakelander for posting the prints. Doesn't look horrible, not too out there. But at least it isn't that fake meditteranean stuco look. I agree that it will be nice for them to have their own building. Now there will be room for more exhibits. ...Perhaps we could even get a nice exhibit on Real Estate development akin to that on display in the Skyscraper Museum in NYC, hmmm?
AKBTampa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #17
Jasonhouse

^Actually, it has lots of blank walls of stucco, precast fauxstone panels and metal panels... I suspect that in time it will not age well and will look very cheap because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim98 View Post
The building is a squatty, industrial looking structure clad in stucco, castcrete, glass w/ alum. finnials and sheet metal... Perhaps there's something historically relevant about making the museum look like Pinellas County's solid waste incinerator?

As best I can tell with the limited info available, the only trait inherent to Tampa's history that I see this design celebrate, is Tampa's enduring mission to do everything cheaper, less creatively and less intelligently than cities of equal stature do elsewhere.

To say I'm non-plussed about this design is an understatement.
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #18
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

The design is very uninspiring looking. Then again it would be nice to look at the notes on the plans to see the materials being used etc.

Here is the original rendering.
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #19
Jasonhouse

^I mentioned the materials in my preceding post.
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #20
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
^I mentioned the materials in my preceding post.
Ah yes thanks I didn't see that post until I had already made mine.

Anyway it looks and sounds quite plain. Not a design that will reflect the history of Tampa at all. (unless they are trying to reflect the time period when hisotric structures were being demolished in favor of "modern stuff") I would've loved to see some brick.