daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #2581
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
Do people drive that fast in Hungary?

nope, they drive much faster, this one was a slowpoke...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #2582
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
Ok but what happens if he is a foreign driver?will the hungarian authorities send him the fine?what happens if he ignores to pay it?
I think if he is an EU citizen they will send him a ticket. He won't avoid fine. If he ignores it there are certainly ways how to force him to pay.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #2583
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Chris,can you please update the first post with this:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...63&postcount=1

Thank you!
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #2584
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Done!

It's pretty huge.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #2585
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Chris,can you please update the first post with this:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...63&postcount=1

Thank you!
You can add my pics of M70 and RipleyLV's pics of M86.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #2586
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

I have nothing agains foreigners,but the summary is the summary of our thread in our section,as it has much much more content. And I dont really fancy making 2 of these,its very time-consuming.

But maybe I'll include this thread too as a christmas present in January.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #2587
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There's a difference between driving fast and driving too fast. The latter is obviously the case when you drive 240 km/h on a road that has a typical design speed of 120 - 130 km/h.
But design speed of 120 km/h is enough to drive safely 240 km/h in appropriate weather. Driving 240 km/h in Slovenia carry 300 euros fine and 1-2 months license suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
I think if he is an EU citizen they will send him a ticket. He won't avoid fine. If he ignores it there are certainly ways how to force him to pay.
They can send him the ticket only if two countries has a valid agreement to share traffic data. Eastern European countries usually don't have this kind of agreements. For example, for Slovenian government it is illegal to share Slovenian traffic data with any other law enforcement in Europe. So either foreign police fine you on spot or you won't get a fine.

There are talks in European level to make mandatory to share those data but for now they still hasn't reach an agreement.

Last edited by pijanec; December 5th, 2009 at 11:29 PM.
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #2588
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijanec View Post
But design speed of 120 km/h is enough to drive safely 240 km/h in appropriate weather.
No, it's not. Other traffic moves at 130-140 km/h and does not anticipate on some moron doing almost twice their speed (67 meters per second!). For instance, if you look into your mirror, you see the road is clear for about 400 meters behind you. You cannot reliably estimate the speed of traffic that far away. So a few seconds later, you want to overtake a truck, and then BAM! That guy is already at your position. Very dangerous.
Another issue is that you cannot anticipate on other factors with such speeds, like debris, road quality or wildlife. At 240 km/h, just a tad on the wheel is enough to hit the median barrier.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #2589
Verso
Islander

Quote:
They can send him the ticket only if two countries has a valid agreement to share traffic data. Eastern European countries usually don't have this kind of agreements. For example, for Slovenian government it is illegal to share Slovenian traffic data with any other law enforcement in Europe. So either foreign police fine you on spot or you won't get a fine.
Are you saying that f.e. I can drive into the bank-card lane at an Italian toll plaza, don't pay, they eventually let me through, so I don't cause a traffic jam, and I never pay?
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #2590
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly from the 1st of January 2010, it will be done like that.

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #2591
pijanec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Are you saying that f.e. I can drive into the bank-card lane at an Italian toll plaza, don't pay, they eventually let me through, so I don't cause a traffic jam, and I never pay?
Probably Italian police would caught you but if you manage to come to Slovenia you are safe. Slovenia won't share your licence plate number. I know some people who drive well over the speed limit in neighbourhood countries passing fixed speed cameras because they know they won't get fined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
No, it's not. Other traffic moves at 130-140 km/h and does not anticipate on some moron doing almost twice their speed (67 meters per second!).
This has nothing to do with road construction/design speed. Design speed is speed used to determine geometric design features. Safe speed is approximately twice the design sped when conditions are favorable. For example, majority of Slovenian regional roads have actual design speed of around 50 km/h (law requires it between 40-80 km/h), yet speed limit is 90 km/h and in most cases it is safe to drive such speed.

Slovenia follows the rule design speed=speed limit only on motorways although a lot of traffic experts are against it. When you use the exit ramp on Slovenian motorway there is a speed limit of 40 km/h because that is the design speed although actually every user know that you can safely drive a lot faster. The only European country I know which follows design speed=speed limit on all roads is Croatia and that's why nobody obey those limits because they are too low for modern cars.

Last edited by pijanec; December 6th, 2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #2592
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

i think we should have a minimum speed limit of 100 kph
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #2593
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Probably Italian police would caught you
No, they surely wouldn't do that, because you have 2 weeks or so to pay the ticket. It happened to my mum once, and she paid in Slovenia via Internet (also to me, but I paid in Italy). And that was in times when we weren't in Schengen yet, but they didn't stop her at the border or sth.
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #2594
pijanec

I just ignore traffic fines I received in foreign countries and throw them away in first recycle bin.
Old December 7th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #2595
(HUN)RoGeR
MSc of Chem Engineering

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
i think we should have a minimum speed limit of 100 kph
When 90 kph the maximum speed for trucks?
(HUN)RoGeR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #2596
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
But design speed of 120 km/h is enough to drive safely 240 km/h in appropriate weather.
Maybe with F1 and slicks in sunny weather and completely empty motorway. But surely not in normal conditions.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #2597
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by (HUN)RoGeR View Post
forgot about that
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #2598
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
No no. I wouldn't do that if I were you. They don't even involve the police. They have a private collecting agency that operates EU-wide aggressively pursue you and make you pay. With a hefty surcharge, of course, and if you still refuse they will get lawyers involved and eventually they'll probably sue you. This also happens if you're in a credit card lane and the cc transaction fails for some reason.

With traffic fines it may be different. I don't know. But I heard the city of Pisa uses similar methods to pursue parking and ZTL (zona a traffico limitato) violations.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #2599
(HUN)RoGeR
MSc of Chem Engineering

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by (HUN)RoGeR View Post
Excuse me, the rule says max speed is 80 kph and the trucks are hardwarely limited to 90 kph.
(HUN)RoGeR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #2600
pijanec

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
No no. I wouldn't do that if I were you. They don't even involve the police. They have a private collecting agency that operates EU-wide aggressively pursue you and make you pay. With a hefty surcharge, of course, and if you still refuse they will get lawyers involved and eventually they'll probably sue you. This also happens if you're in a credit card lane and the cc transaction fails for some reason.
But how would they get your personal data on licence plate number? Unless your home country share this data (which is illegal in most, if not all EU countries), they can't get them, especially if they are private agency.

Tags
budapest, highways, hungary, motorways