daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #2761
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19404

Is it correct M4 is currently under construction between Püspökladány and the Romanian border? That would be like 55 - 60 kilometers of Autopályá.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #2762
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

No,AFAIK,no section of M4 autópálya is u/c...maybe Kisújszállás bypass near Szolnok.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #2763
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Is it correct M4 is currently under construction between Püspökladány and the Romanian border? That would be like 55 - 60 kilometers of Autopályá.

that wouldnt be too wise idea...

traffic is moderate, and the road alignment is quite nice...

but the section between BP-püspökladány is badly needed...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #2764
ChrisZwolle
Road user

M4 is quite important for transit traffic to Romania, especially Oradea, Cluj-Napoca or Brasov. It's a 100 kilometer shorter than via M3-M35. M4 already has a nice dedicated alignment bypassing Albertirsa, Cegléd, Abony and Szolnok.
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #2765
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I have a question, I read stuff on the Hungarian wikipedia about very high tolls on some motorways before 2004. Exactly how high were these tolls before they changed the tolls?
Old January 16th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #2766
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

The first tolled motorway was the M1, on the Győr-Hegyeshalom (Austrian border) section. In 1996 you had to pay 900 HUF (now 3,35 EUR), in 1999 1700 HUF (now 6,32 EUR) for that short section. On the M5, in 2002 you had to pay 3120 HUF (now 11,61 EUR) for the Újhartyán-Kiskunfélegyháza section. There used to be toll gates on the M3 too, but I can't find prices. Now a 4-days sticker costs 1170 HUF (4,35 EUR) and you can use it on the whole network...
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #2767
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Okay, that's almost € 0,10 per km. Not the most expensive in Europe, but very high for Hungarian standards.
Old January 16th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #2768
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

M5 had closed system, right? how was the situation on M1 and M3, also closed system (taking ticket when entering, and payment when leaving motorway) or open (just payment)? do you know locations of toll stations? any photos maybe? i know only those photos of demolition of toll gates on M5
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #2769
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Didn't Hungary had a mix of toll booths and vignettes? Now they have the matrica (e-vignette) only.
Old January 16th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #2770
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

they did, but i'd say that was addapting period (M5 was the last one with booths while vignettes were allready on)
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #2771
Fron

Likes (Received): 1434

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
M5 had closed system, right? how was the situation on M1 and M3, also closed system (taking ticket when entering, and payment when leaving motorway) or open (just payment)? do you know locations of toll stations? any photos maybe? i know only those photos of demolition of toll gates on M5
M3's toll gates before dismantling:

If I remember correctly its painting was blue and white.

You know in the late 90's, there was a huge ****-up around the tolling system. Each motorways were owned by different private companies and those short motorway sections were way overpriced. It was also the subject of daily politics when the state is going to do anything against it. Slowly the state bought these companies, introduced the much cheaper vignette system and dismantled the toll gates which had "the symbolic meaning of harsh capitalization" in Hungary.
Fron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #2772
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I have another remark about the Budapest area.

The M0-West is a missing link, which seems to be pushed back every time, so we can't count on a quick construction of that section.

I have also read about plans of an M10 Budapest - Esztergom and M11 Esztergom - M6.

I made some calculations about the best route from M1 to M3 (Tatabánya - Hatvan);

* via downtown Budapest: 116 km
* via M0: 157 km
* via M0 when M31 is completed: 142 km
* via M0-west/north: 119 km
* via M11-M10-M0: 141 km

I think this easily concludes the construction of the M0 along the northwest side of the city is still a far superior solution than constructing a mega-beltway M11 or using the M0 via the southern side of Budapest. Only the route via central Budapest is as long as the M0-northwest.

The current route via M0 is 41 kilometers longer than going right through the city. When M31 is completed, this goes down to a 26 kilometer detour, which I think is still significant, but makes M0 more competitive as opposed to the route through downtown Budapest.

An M11-M10 link via Esztergom is as bad as the future M0-M31 route. Nice for local and regional traffic, but not for through traffic.

I really hope they will construct the remaining part of M0 in the next 5 years.
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #2773
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

Yes, but unfortunatly there is a big enviromental issue, through Buda "hills".
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #2774
Falusi
hanzi13

Likes (Received): 192

M0 north (between Main road 11 and M10):

The A1 (lower) variant has enviromental permission. The construction will start at the end of 2011 ( + delays...).

M0 west (between M10 and M1):

Only the study and preliminary enviromental investigation will be ready until the end of this year. So the construction will start around 2020...

Highways clinched by me
A AND BIH C CH CZ D E F FL GR H HKJ HR I MC MK RO PL SK SLO SRB T UAE
doing MSc in Mechanical Engineering

Last edited by Falusi; April 11th, 2010 at 12:50 PM.
Falusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #2775
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
Yes, but unfortunatly there is a big enviromental issue, through Buda "hills".
This part of M0 will be mostly in tunnels so its impact on the environment will be IMO very limited.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #2776
SeanT
DK/H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
This part of M0 will be mostly in tunnels so its impact on the environment will be IMO very limited.
Probably true, still a lot of things have to be cleared with many communities,organs so NO, it is not a question of financial problems that´s why it will take a long time.
We started in early´90´s or late ´80´s to build the M0 and still not completed.
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #2777
SeanT
DK/H

perhaps in 2015-2018.
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #2778
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
It was an open system, you had to pay once at Kiskunfelegyháza and also at Újhartján. There may have been some toll stations on exits in between, but I don't know.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #2779
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

looking at those plans for M0 seems as there will be another road connecting Békásmegyer to the exit apart from road 11, which can get very congested because of cars coming from Megyeri bridge, entering the city on road 11 and turning left to the estates (to Pünkösdfürdő street). Which is a major problem since the opening of the bridge. I think its typical that everyone was whining about how Budakalász would be jammed after the bridge opens, which of course didn't happen, but noone thought of the thousands of cars that would now approach Békásmegyer from the north, rather than from the city center as before, having a very short single lane to turn left from road 11, in a junction that has allready been a very awkward place with the HÉV crossing, old Szentendre road, and all that (if you drive there, you know it sucks)
This road would allow an alternative way to enter Békásmegyer easing up congestion on road 11, so i hope that it will get built, when they continue M0
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #2780
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I really hope they will construct the remaining part of M0 in the next 5 years.

nonsense...

there are so many darkgreens, nimbysts and other eco-anarchist that it is possible it wont be built at all...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
budapest, highways, hungary, motorways