daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #3741
KaaRoy

Likes (Received): 2

I never really understood this archeologist thing. Is this like this everywhere, or just in Hungary?

Are they digging up the ENTIRE site or just portions? If portions only, how to they pick?

Does this make sense or is this just some clever scheme whereas some archeologist lobby somehow managed to have this included in some law?
KaaRoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #3742
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

It's like that everywhere. I think it's logical. If you're already digging out soil, at least collect everything valuable before it's covered with a road forever. It takes a bit longer to construct a road, but it's worth it IMO.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 02:46 AM   #3743
AlexisMD

Likes (Received): 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaRoy View Post
I never really understood this archeologist thing. Is this like this everywhere, or just in Hungary?

Are they digging up the ENTIRE site or just portions? If portions only, how to they pick?

Does this make sense or is this just some clever scheme whereas some archeologist lobby somehow managed to have this included in some law?
I will tell you like archaeologist
nobody digs entire construction site But they dig where probably are some historical sites OR/ such were reported by local population/workers (if they find some ceramics, burial places, or remnants of dwellings )
And of course there is a law that stipulates that before any construction, archaeological excavation MUST be conducted
Archaeologists come and make some pits (random in generally) to determine if something is worth excavating

And IF they found something interesting they conduct full scale investigation and everything stops

yes, you can kill me now
PS : and YES, it;s everywhere
AlexisMD está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #3744
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

They usually have thorough maps of the main historical sites. I witnessed when an employee at the Museum of History in Sibiu told to a contractor he will definitely find something when digging in a specific place, at a specific kilometer. And he was completely right, at that specific kilometer the contractor did found some pottery and the works have had to stop for awhile.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #3745
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Yes, first they research which areas have potential for archeological findings, then they dig those areas for it. As far as I know, they do not excavate the entire route. Archeological surveys usually last a few months. Motorway construction is thus valuable to archeologists, as they can survey areas they normally wouldn't survey.

Archeological surveys are done on every motorway project in Europe; from Serbia to the Netherlands and from Romania to Sweden.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #3746
KaaRoy

Thanks folks. If there is enough motorway construction, sooner or later I am sure they are gonna find the tomb of Attila the Hun. :-)
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #3747
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

I'm eagerly waiting for the underwater motorway in the Danube!
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #3748
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9373

WTF?!

M9 IS NOT EVEN U/C YET?! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #3749
Qtya
sensational

The development zone, or the future path of M9 looked like this in MAY:

http://www.nif.hu/multimedia/872/m9_...mu_fout_kozott

What the hell is going on?! Na most szét bxsz az ideg, így is szxr napom volt eddig...

I have to go and check it out myself!!!

II. János Pál pápa
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #3750
TheRible

Likes (Received): 85

They know quite accurately where to look for hidden artifacts.

- firstly they have books on all historical events, lokations

- then they have collected evidence from all parts of the country since some 100 years. Eg. while tiling people find this and in the field that that they submit to museums. They know where these were found.

- prior to any actual work they walk the entire lenght of the project and look for hints

- these days they also use satelite photos or areal inspection

- when stripping off the top soil the hidden secrets are revealed immediately. Eg. if there is a tomb, the soil inside of the tomb is a mixed (eg. mixed humus with yellow under soil) while the surroundings are uniformly yellow. That draws obviously and clearly where the tomb is and where to dig.

- where it is not that clear they make long search trenches and look for this kind of signs. Since artifacts do not stand alone, this way they certainly will run into something interesting and then they only have to figure which way to expand/extend.
TheRible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #3751
KaaRoy

Prime Minister Orban announced yesterday that all PPP projects where implementation is not yet started will be cancelled to be able to meet budget deficit requirements. Does this have an impact on any motorway constructions projects?
Old October 14th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #3752
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisMD View Post
I will tell you like archaeologist
nobody digs entire construction site But they dig where probably are some historical sites OR/ such were reported by local population/workers (if they find some ceramics, burial places, or remnants of dwellings )
And of course there is a law that stipulates that before any construction, archaeological excavation MUST be conducted
Archaeologists come and make some pits (random in generally) to determine if something is worth excavating

And IF they found something interesting they conduct full scale investigation and everything stops

yes, you can kill me now
PS : and YES, it;s everywhere
Archeological digs happen just about everywhere. Generally where where people are known to have lived in ancient times, as well if artifacts are found. In Germany (and I think a few other countries) the Military also has to conduct an investigation as well, for rather obvious reasons.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #3753
Qtya
sensational

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaRoy View Post
Prime Minister Orban announced yesterday that all PPP projects where implementation is not yet started will be cancelled to be able to meet budget deficit requirements. Does this have an impact on any motorway constructions projects?
No. There are currently no ongoing PPP motorway developments.

II. János Pál pápa
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #3754
ChrisZwolle
Road user

PPP is too risky in current times of financial uncertainty and banks demanding over-the-top securities.
Old October 15th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #3755
Atza

Likes (Received): 19

Intersection of main road no. 5 and the 3rd circular road in Szeged

animation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB9P5gRjigw
Atza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #3756
eurocopter

Likes (Received): 2043

Hi guys, I'm just curious why is the M15 designated as a motorway since its just a 2X1 road?
eurocopter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #3757
ChrisZwolle
Road user

M15 = autóút (expressway). M does not mean Motorway.
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #3758
Atza

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocopter View Post
Hi guys, I'm just curious why is the M15 designated as a motorway since its just a 2X1 road?
Yes, it's not a motorway, only expressway with 90 km/h speed limit.

As I know there are no expressways in Romania but I think you have standards for expressways. Or not?
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #3759
KaaRoy

The National Infrastructure Developer said today M43 Szeged - Makó will be done "sometime in the first half of 2011".
Old October 19th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #3760
Atza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atza View Post
Yes, it's not a motorway, only expressway with 90 km/h speed limit.

As I know there are no expressways in Romania but I think you have standards for expressways. Or not?
But in fact Romania have almost the biggest expressway network of the world: 100 km/h general speed limit...

Tags
budapest, highways, hungary, motorways