daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #3821
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mLori71 View Post
Hello! I'm new to this forum, and am currently researching a book.

I was told that even though Stephen Colbert did not have the M0 bridge named after him, the Hungarian gov't DID name an overpass in his honor. Does anyone know if this is true? If it is, What road / motorway does this bridge cross?? Any help will be welcome.

You may contact me at: [email protected]
Thank you!
this is not true. the whole thing was kind of a joke as colbert picked up on it, so the story reached millions of people. he of course didn't take into consideration that in hungary a bridge can only be named after someone hungarian, and dead. there were other popular choises most notably chuck norris. this is why you see many photos of the bridge with titles such as stephen colbert bridge or chuck norris bridge.
no bridge is named after stephen colbert.
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #3822
KaaRoy

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mLori71 View Post
Hello! I'm new to this forum, and am currently researching a book.

I was told that even though Stephen Colbert did not have the M0 bridge named after him, the Hungarian gov't DID name an overpass in his honor. Does anyone know if this is true? If it is, What road / motorway does this bridge cross?? Any help will be welcome.

You may contact me at: [email protected]
Thank you!
Look at the official naming ceremony at the Colbert report site:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...andras-simonyi

Of course this was a joke. Additionally, at some point, Google Maps really indicated the bridge as "Colbert-Bridge". This was an user's joke, I think someone placed it as a local business or something. It is now gone.
KaaRoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #3823
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9416

Final implementation plans have been ordered by the government for two sections with the deadline of 31st of December 2012, so the projects could be launched immediately in the new EU budget period (2013-2020). :

M4: Abony(M8 interchange) - Fegyvernek 36 km, 2x2 expressway
M9: Dombovár - Bonyhád 35 km, 2x2 expressway

http://www.nif.hu/hirek/886/gyorsfor..._az_m4-es_fout
http://www.teol.hu/tolna/kozelet/tov...o-m9-es-344193

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:52 AM   #3824
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

BySeanT at 2010-11-22
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #3825
toomee

Likes (Received): 43

M31 motorway

Some pictures about M31 motorway direction to M3 motorway.

toomee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #3826
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Nice pictures, M31 sure looks good. It is not included in the Matrica system I suppose?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #3827
RKC

it is
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #3828
Nyuszi
#1 Bunny

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
it is
Is it? I heard it is free of charge.
Nyuszi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #3829
RKC

yeah i think you're right, i mean i didnt pay for it when i used it now i think of it
my bad
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #3830
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

It is free of charge in any categories, because the section is part of the Bp.bypass system.
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #3831
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
It is free of charge in any categories, because the section is part of the Bp.bypass system.
That is not bad. Usually the motorways outside the M0-bypass are not free of charge - definitely not for lorries or coaches.

For example - the motorway M3 between the juction M0/M3 and M3/M31 in Godollo is considered as the matrica road....

Interesting that the boarder crossing SK/HU is remarked as "Schengen"-boarder-crossing and the future HU/UA motorway-boarder crossing is calculated as well.
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #3832
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moravian View Post
Interesting that the boarder crossing SK/HU is remarked as "Schengen"-boarder-crossing and the future HU/UA motorway-boarder crossing is calculated as well.
It would be possible for Ukraine to join the Schengen Zone before joining the EU. I would not be surprised if, ten years from now, Ukraine were already part of the Schengen Zone but not yet part of the EU.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #3833
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

I don't see the point of signing Tornyosnémeti in the Schengen-zone (showing these unimportant Schengen border settlements as main destinations is so Polish ). Záhony, the main border crossing to Ukraine is on road 4, the M3 will cross the border between Barabás and Beregdaróc one day.
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #3834
Moravian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
I don't see the point of signing Tornyosnémeti in the Schengen-zone (showing these unimportant Schengen border settlements as main destinations is so Polish ). Záhony, the main border crossing to Ukraine is on road 4, the M3 will cross the border between Barabás and Beregdaróc one day.

Yes, you are right. The showing of the boarder-crossing is (usually) long-term habit on Hungarian (main) roads/motorways (see Rajka, Hegyeshalom, Letenye, Lenti, Rabafuzes etc.). As for "3" direction "Kassa/Kosice" might be enough....

Right, Zahony (national road No.4) is still the key boarder-crossing HU/UA. However the distance to Mukacevo is most probably calculated (already) via future M3 and Barabás. The current distance between Zahony and Mukacevo via M06.ua is certainly longer than 43 km. No doubts, it concerns only details...The interesting fact is that there is no information for Miskolc or Debrecen.
Old November 27th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #3835
RKC

here's a video
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
Driving out of Budapest southbound on road #6 onto M0 ringroad then M6 towards Pécs in the south-west of Hungary. October, 2010.
Massive M0 traffic jam visible in the other direction. It is currently being upgraded to 2x3+emergency lanes, as this oldest southern section of the ring was built as a half profile narrow 2x2 with no shoulders.
Sorry about the subtitles, coudn't get them fixed.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.308647&z=12

Old November 27th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #3836
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
The interesting fact is that there is no information for Miskolc or Debrecen.
Usually the panel indicating distances to the directions inside the country are put just before the ones that indicate border crossing points. I remarked this fact on M5, driving from Budapest to Szeged.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #3837
KaaRoy

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
It would be possible for Ukraine to join the Schengen Zone before joining the EU. I would not be surprised if, ten years from now, Ukraine were already part of the Schengen Zone but not yet part of the EU.
There is absolutely no way this could happen anytime soon. For example, Schengen membership of Ukraine would unleash uncontrollable cigarette and fuel smuggling, resulting in extreme tax losses to current member states. They will not let this happen as long as cigarette and fuel prices are so low in Ukraine.
KaaRoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #3838
Moravian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda80 View Post
Usually the panel indicating distances to the directions inside the country are put just before the ones that indicate border crossing points. I remarked this fact on M5, driving from Budapest to Szeged.
That two-panels-solution is quite reasonable because there would be so many (important) destinations showed at just one panel. Definitely at the main rods (motorways) coming out from Budapest.

The issue of the M3/M31 has been already discussed. Another examples:

1/No need to stress the M1+M7 section at Budaors.

2/M1

- local/county destinations: Gyor, Tatabanya.....
a) the direction A (M1): Wien/Bécz - Schengen-boarder-crossing: Hegyeshalom
b) the direction SK (M1+M15): Bratislava/Pozsony - Schengen-boarder-crossing: Rajka

3)M7

- local/county destinations: Székesfehérvar,Siofók, Nagykanisza
a) the direction HR (M7): Zagreb/Zágráb - boarder-crossing: Letenye
b) the direction SLO (M7+M70): Ljubljana - boarder-crossing: Tornyiszentmiklos

and maybe in future the director toward A, to Graz/Grac (Rábafuzes)

4)M5

- local/county destination: Szeged, Kecskemét...
a) the direction SRB (M5): Beograd/Belgrád - boarder-crossing: Roszke
b)coming quite soon: the direction RO (M5+M43): Arad (?, or directly the capital city of RO) - boarder-crossing: Nagylak....

The fact is that the central location/position of Budapest in HU-road network is highlighted.....
Old November 27th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #3839
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaRoy View Post
There is absolutely no way this could happen anytime soon. For example, Schengen membership of Ukraine would unleash uncontrollable cigarette and fuel smuggling, resulting in extreme tax losses to current member states. They will not let this happen as long as cigarette and fuel prices are so low in Ukraine.
Passport controls and customs controls are separate and distinct issues. The Schengen Agreement concerns only passport controls, not customs controls.

As a practical matter, I believe you're right that Ukraine would probably be expected to join EFTA before being invited to join the Schengen Zone.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #3840
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
4)M5

- local/county destination: Szeged, Kecskemét...
a) the direction SRB (M5): Beograd/Belgrád - boarder-crossing: Roszke
b)coming quite soon: the direction RO (M5+M43): Arad (?, or directly the capital city of RO) - boarder-crossing: Nagylak....
Arad is signed on M5. I know this because that is the first sign that I see with my towns name on it when I come home from Budapest. Arad is also signed at M5/M43 junction, and also on M43 (on that short 10 km section that is already opened).

I'm not quite sure, but I think Bucharest is also signed on M5 & M43. In Szeged and Mako I know that Bucharest is signed (on normal road 43, not on motorway).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
budapest, highways, hungary, motorways