daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #4541
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Actually most accidents on two-lane roads occur at intersections. Though passing accidents are generally perceived as more dangerous due to the higher speeds involved.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #4542
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

With deadliest I mean this:

I have pictures that follow this one. Pulling that Seat back, photos of the front side, litterally brains of these two boys on the front seats.... Sorry for the offtopic, I will not post them here, but anyway, whenever I feel like pushing the gas a little bit more I remind myself of this photo series and the adrenalin is gone... I reckon few of these pictures would make the best safe driving campaing ever...
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 12:15 AM   #4543
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18306

I am Romanian, but I also don't like the driving style here, you will see how they drive in RO and how they change their style after crossing the border to HU. Simply because the laws are more respected and in RO not so much.
I could blame this driving also on the big lack of motorways, and almost all the driving on regular 1x1 roads. People tend to be always in a big hurry and nervous, I don't know why. In the cities i see the same bad attitude. I think this also has something to do with education ...
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 12:17 AM   #4544
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The lack of motorways is usually a factor, people get impatient after having to drive hundreds of kilometers on two-lane roads with villages, trucks, slowpa's, etc.
Old July 31st, 2011, 01:53 AM   #4545
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I could blame this driving also on the big lack of motorways, and almost all the driving on regular 1x1 roads. People tend to be always in a big hurry and nervous, I don't know why. In the cities i see the same bad attitude. I think this also has something to do with education ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The lack of motorways is usually a factor, people get impatient after having to drive hundreds of kilometers on two-lane roads with villages, trucks, slowpa's, etc.
That is maybe the right reason. I work in Arad and go home every Friday evening. Working every Friday from 08.00 o'clock and until 17.30-19.30 o'clock and then driving home for about other 7.30-8.00 hours isn't easy at all. I usually arrive home between 00.30 - 03.00 in the night. My supervisor in Arad is Austrian. He drives only 5.30 hours to Vienna, going from Romania, crossing all Hungary and then through Austria. But for me, driving so many hours on very, very congested 1+1 roads is beyond imagination. I often find myself overtaking in maybe very dangerous situations, but you have to be in my position and understand how it is to drive maybe 30kms behind a long queue of lorries going with only 40kms/h. Or to drive through cities like Arad, Deva or Sebeş, where there is no bypass and sometimes it takes one hour to cross. I am really aware of danger and I'm against this type of reckless driving, but trust me, I'm doing this "trip" (510kms on 1+1 roads) two times per week and sometimes it's impossible for me to behave like I should.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 05:48 AM   #4546
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Actually most accidents on two-lane roads occur at intersections. Though passing accidents are generally perceived as more dangerous due to the higher speeds involved.
Hungary always had 2×1 expressways which (due to lack of financial resources) remained to be 2×1 even when traffic density needed a full motorway. Widening to a 2×2 expressway was usually impossible since all the way was built as a half motorway.
That's why here we have a lot of passing accidents in such roads. In the 80's the 2×1 M1 was called as "road of death", then several other roads inherited this name.
Currently M2 is very dangerous but the most fatal accidents happen in the short section of M70. It, too, is built as a half motorway and some drivers use it as if it were a full one.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 05:52 AM   #4547
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
On the other side: M70 is only a short section and from Lisbon to Makó there's a full motorway except for this piece of road and even so some drivers have no patience and can't stay behind a slower car. Some people in Hungary say it is dangerous having short 2×1 sections like M15 or M70 in a very very long motorway.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:04 PM   #4548
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:04 AM   #4549
Falusi
hanzi13

Likes (Received): 192

0.38: main road 51
2.33: M0 south
3.34: M5
4.35: M0 east

Highways clinched by me
A AND BIH C CH CZ D E F FL GR H HKJ HR I MC MK RO PL SK SLO SRB T UAE
doing MSc in Mechanical Engineering
Falusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:06 AM   #4550
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #4551
Samply

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx
M0 yesterday, horrible, we lost one hour, driving with 5 km/h and then just standing still for half an hour. Some road works ... don't think I will use it again until construction is finished.
BTW does anyone know when the upgrade of the southern section of the M0 will be finished and open to traffic? Will it be 3 lanes (3x2) from M1 to M5? IMO because of Budapest's geographic position a 4x4 M0 may well be suitable for the future
Samply no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #4552
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Kőröshegyi viaduct turns 4 years today
Old August 8th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #4553
zsimi80
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 553

When are you gonna visit it?

zsimi80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #4554
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samply View Post
BTW does anyone know when the upgrade of the southern section of the M0 will be finished and open to traffic? Will it be 3 lanes (3x2) from M1 to M5? IMO because of Budapest's geographic position a 4x4 M0 may well be suitable for the future
Its going to be 2x3 all the way from M1 to M5. Section M7-M6 will finally open at the end of the year. M6-51 summer 2012, and 51-M5 at jun 30, 2011.

As for the "section" M1-M7 nobody knows, I guess.

Of course after that the whole old part has to be reconstructed, which will take another 2 years. So all in all I say it will be 2014 until the whole southern part of M0 will be finished.

Last edited by JackFrost; August 8th, 2011 at 08:06 PM.
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #4555
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
a 4x4 M0 may well be suitable for the future
there's a more inner ring planed (2x2 and 2x3 on the bridges) and also a more outer ring (2x1 first), M0 will never be 4x4, not soon anyway
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #4556
Samply

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy

there's a more inner ring planed (2x2 and 2x3 on the bridges) and also a more outer ring (2x1 first), M0 will never be 4x4, not soon anyway
Sorry I meant 2x4 my bad, thanks for the replies anyway!
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #4557
Samply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost

Its going to be 2x3 all the way from M1 to M5. Section M7-M6 will finally open at the end of the year. M6-51 summer 2012, and 51-M5 at jun 30, 2011.

As for the "section" M1-M7 nobody knows, I guess.
Thanks, I thought they were already working on section M1-M7...
Is section 51-M5 the new section that will connect the old southern section of the M0 to the new eastern section ready by jun 30 2011?
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #4558
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
Sorry I meant 2x4 my bad, thanks for the replies anyway!
i didnt even notice that, but no, not even 2x4 anytime soon
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #4559
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11830

Quote:
Thanks, I thought they were already working on section M1-M7...
Yes its funny, because everybody talks about section M1-M6 (as originally planned), although they dont even start to cut the bushes on M1-M7 section. Even now when widening is going to be finished in a few months the media talks about M1-M6 section. :-(

Quote:
Is section 51-M5 the new section that will connect the old southern section of the M0 to the new eastern section ready by jun 30 2011?
Well, we all hope it will be ready by june 30. But nothing is sure as you know...
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #4560
Falusi
hanzi13

Likes (Received): 192

The subject of the confusion is that 2011 june 30 has already been passed, since now is august Jack_Frost might wanted to write 2012 june 30
But officially nothing is sure

Highways clinched by me
A AND BIH C CH CZ D E F FL GR H HKJ HR I MC MK RO PL SK SLO SRB T UAE
doing MSc in Mechanical Engineering
Falusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
budapest, highways, hungary, motorways