daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #4661
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
What's with the prohibitions for trucks to overtake on the motorway lately? One country stupidity is another country wisdom? At least Hungary allowed to overtake during the night, unlike epic fail from Slovakia.
It's a populist measure. Truck passing bans should idealistically only apply on short sections and preferably only during rush hour. Otherwise you get large convoys of trucks, increasing chances of truck pile-ups and problems with entering and leaving the motorway (impenetrable walls of trucks). It's better for truck traffic to spread out than to queue them together with passing bans. And yes - I do find passing trucks annoying too, but you have to understand their position too.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #4662
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's a populist measure. Truck passing bans should idealistically only apply on short sections and preferably only during rush hour. Otherwise you get large convoys of trucks, increasing chances of truck pile-ups and problems with entering and leaving the motorway (impenetrable walls of trucks). It's better for truck traffic to spread out than to queue them together with passing bans. And yes - I do find passing trucks annoying too, but you have to understand their position too.
With 2x2 motorways, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I hope everyone agrees that trucks should be prohibited from using the fast lane on 2x3 motorways.

I've noticed many instances of 2x2 motorways getting a third lane for long steep uphill inclines. Some of those would be good on level ground too.

Another way to prevent trucks from bunching up would be to prohibit trucks from following within, say, 200 meters of another truck. Obviously, that would limit the truck-carrying capacity of the motorway.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #4663
LG_

Likes (Received): 179

By the way the speed limit on the Hungarian motorways for trucks ist only 80 km/h, which makes me think that no truck convoys could be formed due to such a ban. Moreover there are no so many steep motorway sections in Hungary. However I could be not right!
LG_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #4664
bogdymol
bogdymod

Although the speed limit for trucks is 80 everybody is going 90 in Hungary (or even faster - rare cases). I didn't have problems with trucks on H-motorways (except on M0 where the road itself is a problem).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #4665
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2287

There's also a option to fine drivers who are causing these large convoys by driving slow on the motorway. And if the truck is carrying dangerous goods should be allowed to overtake, because they like Polish truckers drive >85 km/h.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #4666
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Basically I agree. Only a little addition: according to the law trucks must keep such a distance between each other that is enough for a third truck to enter the same line safely.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #4667
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2287

And everyone follows this law, trucks have a longer braking distance than light vehicles, regardless it's better to keep a safe distance since anything can happen on a motorway.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #4668
Attus

Quote:
I wasn't happy to see this
(...)
Very loooooooooooong queue and a maximum speed of 30 km/h
Everyday situation in M0. I live near to M0 (my town's name can be seen in some of your photos) but I always take a detour instead of using M0.
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #4669
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12045

MO is more crowded than Bucharest's ringroad on 1x1 sections. Especially on the express sections 2x2 where there is an important international freight traffic. A couple of weeks ago it took me 40 minutes to just climb the access road to M0 from M5. Then, the first lane on M0 was simply stuck with trucks, while on the second lane we barely moved. I'll post some pics:

Stuck on access to M0:

Stuck on M0:

Expansion works on M0:

Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #4670
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
according to the law trucks must keep such a distance between each other that is enough for a third truck to enter the same line safely.
Only in Hungary? Or are there similar laws in most countries?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #4671
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Only in Hungary? Or are there similar laws in most countries?
I don't know the rules of other countries about trucks, but I know that this rule was created together with the overtaking ban in order to avoid forming of continous truck rows after a slow vehicle.
Old September 5th, 2011, 02:02 AM   #4672
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

@ bogdymol

nice photos! kudos to your girlfriend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Ljubljana 447km

Quote:
why Zagreb for trucs via M70? where is even that route?

I see M0 was a hell. how old is it that it's only 2x2?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #4673
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
MO is more crowded than Bucharest's ringroad on 1x1 sections. Especially on the express sections 2x2 where there is an important international freight traffic. A couple of weeks ago it took me 40 minutes to just climb the access road to M0 from M5. Then, the first lane on M0 was simply stuck with trucks, while on the second lane we barely moved. I'll post some pics:
Next time use M5-Lágymányosi hid-Szerémi út-Andor utca-Egér út. Its 2x2 all the way to M1, you just have to pass some traffic lights.
It makes no sense using M0 south before extension is not completed. Its hell.
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #4674
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
@ bogdymol

nice photos! kudos to your girlfriend.

Quote:
why Zagreb for trucs via M70? where is even that route?
Trucks have to use the old border crossing, since the new one is adapted only for cars and buses. It's just a 2-km detour for them, so no problems here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
Next time use M5-Lágymányosi hid-Szerémi út-Andor utca-Egér út. Its 2x2 all the way to M1, you just have to pass some traffic lights.
It makes no sense using M0 south before extension is not completed. Its hell.
It looks like a good route on the map. I will keep this in my mind for the next trip.
Old September 5th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #4675
Attus

Quote:
I see M0 was a hell. how old is it that it's only 2x2?
M0 is ALWAYS a hell. I myself use always the detour through Lágymányosi (new name: Rákóczi) bridge. It is longer but much faster.
The south section of M0 was built in 1988-1994.
Old September 5th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #4676
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18306

Can you please post a Google Map image + link for this detour?
Thanks!
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #4677
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post

Can you please post a Google Map image + link for this detour?
Thanks!
I think that this is the route.

offtopic: how was your trip yesterday?
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #4678
Attus

Quote:
I think that this is the route.
Correct.
Old September 5th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #4679
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

Unfortunately that route can get crowded too during rush hours, especially around the bridge. Still safer route than M0, no doubt.
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #4680
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11830

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
Unfortunately that route can get crowded too during rush hours, especially around the bridge. Still safer route than M0, no doubt.
Yes, especially when youre coming from M1 to Rákoczi hid. I forgot to mention that from that direction 2x2 merges to 2x1 when approaching the bridge.

Im always getting angry when I drive there, because only the road marks had to be repainted and you'd have 2x2 also from that direction all the way. But thinking is not very popular in Budapest. So its also not perfect, but its far better than M0 south.
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
budapest, highways, hungary, motorways