daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #5081
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
But I believe it's time to go back on topic, to Hungary and its roads
Yep, we should get back on-topic:

If you want to drive from Slovakia to Slovenia you can drive through Hungary
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #5082
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Yep, we should get back on-topic:

If you want to drive from Slovakia to Slovenia you can drive through Hungary
However the potentially fastest and shortest connection of Bratislava and Ljubljana is still only on the paper: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=St...ia=1,2&t=m&z=8

It's somehow similar to missing proper connection of Hungary and Poland (Budapest and Krakow) but the mountains.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #5083
chris-dmf

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
But I believe it's time to go back on topic, to Hungary and its roads connecting villages with names that are impossible to say.
Hódmezővásárhelykutasipuszta vagy mi?(or what)
chris-dmf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 10:48 AM   #5084
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9373

Fresh (04.2012) aerial pix of the u/c part of M3...

http://www.nif.hu/hu/multimedia/M3_N...se_-_2012._apl

Land pix...

http://www.nif.hu/hu/multimedia/M3_N...se_-_2012._apr

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:25 PM   #5085
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Hungarian government decided about introducing electronic road tolling from June 2013.
It will be compulsory for all vehicles over 3.5t. Fees will be increased every year by a ratio over inflation.
For cars under 3.5t electronic tolling will be an option but yearly and monthy stickers will remain in use.

Government expects an income of 150 billion forints (~ 500 million euro) in 2014. Road toll income will definitely not be used for maintaining and building roads but for other budget expenses.

A congestion charge shall be introduced in Budapest, from June 2013 as well. Details are unknown right now. Fees shall be used for financing public transport which is de facto in a bankruptcy in Budapest.
Introducing congestion charge is a must since it was a mandatory condition of EU for financing metro line 4 (everyone knew that this subway will have very few passangers unless people will be forced to use it). A great problem is that there are no P+R equipments so for reaching downtown without paying a toll the only way is to use public transport for all the trip, however public transport has great issues in the outskirts of Budapest.
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:58 PM   #5086
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
For cars under 3.5t electronic tolling will be an option but yearly and monthy stickers will remain in use.
I don't really understand this. Will it remain as it is right now (best way of tolling IMO), or will it be Portugal-style? Will you pay per km or per period?

Quote:
Road toll income will definitely not be used for maintaining and building roads but for other budget expenses.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:26 PM   #5087
Attus

Quote:
I don't really understand this. Will it remain as it is right now (best way of tolling IMO), or will it be Portugal-style? Will you pay per km or per period?
I don't know the Portuguese way.

In Hungary, according to the recent decision:
Electronic tolling will be km-based. However cars under 3.5t will have an option to buy a yearly or monthly sticker and no to pay by km. I suppose it is because even the cheapest km-based fee would be unacceptable to many commuters.
Of course there is an option to use only the electronic way but having a rule that no car should pay more than X forints per year but perhaps the government thinks people could not understand it :-)

The main (actually: the only) reason for electronic tolling is to create incomes for the budget. It is an EU rule that for heavy trucks a 1 day fee must be offered and it can not be more expensive than 11 euro. But this rule can be avoided if one has a km based tolling, in this way a truck could pay much more than 11 euro for a transit route, there's no legal limit, so I suppose the fee for trucks for a Hegyeshalom - Nagylak route will be multiple times higher than the current 3,300 forint.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:30 PM   #5088
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
I don't know the Portuguese way.
Portuguese way = every car has a transponder in the car and everytime the car enters and the exits the motorway that transponder is checked electonically so they know how many km you drove and they will automatically take from you bank account (or a special account) the fee for using the motorway.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:25 PM   #5089
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Portuguese way = every car has a transponder in the car and everytime the car enters and the exits the motorway that transponder is checked electonically so they know how many km you drove and they will automatically take from you bank account (or a special account) the fee for using the motorway.
Every car? I remember it was like in france, Italy or Spain, classic toll system, where some cars had the electornic unit to bypass the queues at the toll stations, but I was there 10 years ago, probably many things changed.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:32 PM   #5090
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Most Portuguese motorways were not designed as toll roads, they only had shadow tolls, to be paid by the government and indirectly by the people via taxes on automobility. However, to reduce the deficit they decided to toll all motorways, but there was no space for toll plazas, especially not on ramps. So they went with an all-electronic system that no foreigner understands.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:45 PM   #5091
eucitizen

Ok so how are the foreigners forced to pay the toll there? Are there systematic controls like in the countires where there was introduced the electornic toll for trucks?

Anyway I remember that more than 10 years ago there was a big toll station on M1 just after the juction between M1 and M15 and there was no stickers yet. The same on M5 for some years more 2 toll stations, it was a quite expensive private motorway.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:09 PM   #5092
Kese

There is only a sticker system everywhere now. Toll plazas have been removed for a long time. You do not even have an actual sticker, you just keep the invoice. When buying a "sticker" you register your licence plate for the time you got it for. It is your licence plate that they check electonicly. They check if you have paid for the time in question. If not, they will either send a car on you or you will recieve a check. Sometimes there are random physical checks as well.
BTW you only go to Portugal if you want to. I mean transit is zero. This is very different with Hungary.
Kese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #5093
Attus

In Hungarian language the same word is used for motorway toll stations and football goals ("kapu", which basically means "gate"). In the early 2000's the prime minister's motto was "Gates belong to football pitch, not to motorways", and all toll stations were demolished and a nation wide sticker system introduced.
Later on the sticker was replaced by an electronical database: when you buy a "sticker" (which physically no longer exists) you have to tell your license plate number which is recorded and while driving on the motorway the system checks your license plate without stopping. If you use the motorway without paying toll, you wll get a mail soon in order to pay the fine.
However since there is no real EU wide cooperation for fining foreigners, foreign cars have a very good chance to avoid paying toll. Together with taxes and speeding tickets it is an important reason why so many people here in Hungary have a car which is registered in another country (primarily Slovakia or Germany).
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #5094
eucitizen

Thanks but I know how it works as I pass through Hungsry several times per year so I know how it works. I always buy the vignette via internet, because I dont want to waste time stoppimg at borders or gas stations. I have no reason to avoid paying your vignette.
Interesting I thought Hungary sends fines to other countries...well at least it has a database of foreigners who didn't pay, right?

Last edited by eucitizen; April 24th, 2012 at 12:21 AM.
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:22 PM   #5095
Qtya
sensational

The first widened section (between M6 and M7) of the U/C M0 bypass will be inaugurated in late June. No exact date yet though... BUT... Two of the old lanes will be immediately closed till fall due to a major reconstruction... 2+3 till Sept...

Source(map&info): http://nol.hu/gazdasag/20120502-kesz...-s_menetrendje

II. János Pál pápa

Last edited by Qtya; May 2nd, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:39 PM   #5096
Qtya
sensational

The inauguration of the middle section in mid 2013 is acceptable, but I ain't got no freakin' idea what they are doing with the third... It should have been ready by now... And now?! The deadline is summer 2013... They messed up big time, that's for sure...

II. János Pál pápa
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #5097
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Is it correct that the construction of M43 from Mako to the Romanian border will commence this month?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #5098
Falusi
hanzi13

Likes (Received): 192

The result of the tender will be published at the end of this month, and the contract will be signed next month. (Hopefully )

Other news is about M86 Vát - Szombathely section: The new constructor have been chosen, after retendering this section because of the bankruption of the previous constructor.

Highways clinched by me
A AND BIH C CH CZ D E F FL GR H HKJ HR I MC MK RO PL SK SLO SRB T UAE
doing MSc in Mechanical Engineering
Falusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #5099
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falusi View Post
The result of the tender will be published at the end of this month, and the contract will be signed next month. (Hopefully )
You don't need to hurry: works on the Romanian side of the motorway, Arad-Nadlac section 1 (from the border crossing at Nadlac to the town of Pecica) are almost stopped because the 2 contractors have some disputes (one of them acuses the other one that they didn't send any money for the works that have been done)...
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #5100
Attus

Quote:
You don't need to hurry
Consider that the costs for building are rather high, 65 billion forints (€ 230 million) for 23km, on a plain surface, no complicated junctions. So I think it is very urgent for someone to steal the money.

Tags
budapest, highways, hungary, motorways