daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #5361
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Sounds good. I sort of knew you had a good reason to use that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
Well,i drive thru Slovenia and Croatia but not because it is faster but because i feel like home when i cross the Austrian/Slovenian border
Maybe next time i drive thru Hungary to remember the old times cause my father in the 80´s almost every time drived thru hungary,mostly the route Subotica-Kiskunhalas-Dunaföldvar-Dunaujvaros-Szekesfehervar-Györ-Border and 2 or 3 times the Route over Sombor-Baja,he thought he was clever and drived thru Hungary to avoid the traffic jam on the Ljubljana-Beograd route but imo that was a mistake.A few times he drives over Graz-Maribor and the Podravska Magistrala and that imo was the best way.Anyway,if i drive thru Hungary,now that the M6 exists i will be taking the route Sombor-Baja-Szekszard to Budapest cause i live in a small village near Novi Sad and if i want to take the motorway i have to drive back to Novi Sad,thru the City and so on,in that time i can be in Odzaci allready.And the motorway route is longer cause the road goes thru Szeged and not directly from Subotica to Budapest and i have something new to watch
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #5362
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11821

well i think M6 is a very nice alternative for people travelling from serbia to austria and beyond. and until were not done with widening M0 between M6 and M5 one can also spare that shitty, narrow section of M0 by using M6.

as a matter of fact i have no idea in what condition novi sad-sombor road is in serbia, but hercegszántó-baja-bátaszék road(s) is quite OK...
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:39 PM   #5363
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9376

Finally, the construction can begin!

After the winner was announced today, the Duna Aszfalt Kft. can start the construction of M43's last section between Makó and the Romanian border (A1).

Scheduled start of the development: 09.2012
Scheduled opening: 09.2014

http://www.nif.hu/hu/hirek/Orszaghat..._M43_autopalya

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:07 PM   #5364
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtya View Post

After the winner was announced today, the Duna Aszfalt Kft. can start the construction of M43's last section between Makó and the Romanian border (A1).

What a happy coincidence! Just three days ago have started in Romania the tender procedures for the remaining 4 Lots of A1 motorway between Hungarian border and Sibiu (Nagyszeben). Over 50 companies and joint-ventures placed their bids to build Timişoara-Lugoj Lot 2 and Lugoj-Deva Lots 2,3,4. So we could hope for a continuous motorway between Hungarian border (Nădlac/Nagylak) and Sibiu by the end of 2014.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:26 PM   #5365
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtya View Post

Great news

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post

What a happy coincidence! Just three days ago have started in Romania the tender procedures for the remaining 4 Lots of A1 motorway between Hungarian border and Sibiu (Nagyszeben). Over 50 companies and joint-ventures placed their bids to build Timişoara-Lugoj Lot 2 and Lugoj-Deva Lots 2,3,4. So we could hope for a continuous motorway between Hungarian border (Nădlac/Nagylak) and Sibiu by the end of 2014.
Or better said: continous motorway from anywhere in Europe to Sibiu.

*the statement above is false: to get to the new M43 motorway from anywhere in Europe you have to pass through Budapest bypass, M0, which is not a motorway, but an expressway

edit:
** or you can drive just on motorways via Serbia and Croatia
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:55 PM   #5366
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
*the statement above is false: to get to the new M43 motorway from anywhere in Europe you have to pass through Budapest bypass, M0, which is not a motorway, but an expressway
but M0 will be a 2x3 "expressway" next summer from M7 to M5. and the fact that it is signed as an expressway is just pure hungarian idiotism. its still a motorway (speaking only of the upgraded or new sections of course)

in hungary the expressway sign was misinterpreted. putting M0 and lets say M15 in the same category is a bit dizzy...
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:17 PM   #5367
Kese

It is a bit of a coincidence that the 2x3+1 section of M0 between M7 and M6 was opened to traffic today. The M6-M5 section is u/c.
Kese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:45 PM   #5368
JackFrost
Hun Solo

yeah youre right, i meant M6-M5 section.

anyway my point was that -apart from M1-M7 section- to the end of 2014 it will be possible to get to sibiu from every corner of europe on at least 2x2 lanes, on full profile motorway.

(except on M15 and M70)
Old August 24th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #5369
Atza

Likes (Received): 19

110 km/h sections of main road 3

M3-Gyöngyös

Novajidrány-Garadna bypass (future M30)

and the best
Old August 24th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #5370
JackFrost
Hun Solo

do they flip a coin to determine which road is eligible for 110 km/h and which not? M2 -> 2x2 section > 90 km/h
Old August 24th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #5371
zsimi80
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 553

You can watch it muted

http://index.hu/video/2012/08/23/m0/

zsimi80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #5372
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Perhaps a question that has been asked a 1000 times before (but I didn'f find where, so I ask it here).

The Hungarian prefix for motorways is M, but the Hungarian word Autopalya starts with an A. So where comes the M-prefix from ?
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #5373
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

I believe it's simply from Magyarország.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #5374
Atza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
do they flip a coin to determine which road is eligible for 110 km/h and which not? M2 -> 2x2 section > 90 km/h
While speeds on motorway network (M roads) is controlled by the State Motorway Management Ltd (ÁAK Zrt.), the other road network is controlled by the local Hungarian Roads Management Company (Magyar Közút N. Zrt.).
Old August 25th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #5375
Atza

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
Perhaps a question that has been asked a 1000 times before (but I didn'f find where, so I ask it here).

The Hungarian prefix for motorways is M, but the Hungarian word Autopalya starts with an A. So where comes the M-prefix from ?
Hungarian motorway network is signed disparately since 1961:

1961-1965: Roman numerals (I, VII)
1965-: "M" character* ** (Motorway and Magyarország)

* "A" character was a possible alternative but it was casted off
** In the early '90s the future expressways were signed with "S" character (like Austrian Schnellstraße, S2, S3, S4, S6, S8, S9, S21, S35, S44, S47, S56, S81, S84) but S letter was cancelled mostly by political reasons
Old August 25th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #5376
Atza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atza View Post
1965-: "M" character* ** (Motorway and Magyarország)
And probably "Magistral" like in the Soviet Union.
Old August 25th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #5377
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Quote:
While speeds on motorway network (M roads) is controlled by the State Motorway Management Ltd (ÁAK Zrt.), the other road network is controlled by the local Hungarian Roads Management Company (Magyar Közút N. Zrt.).
like i said:

no wonder most hungarians dont obey speed limits. most speed limits in hungary simply dont make any sense, no matter if the road belongs to "magyar közút" or "áák"

Quote:
** In the early '90s the future expressways were signed with "S" character (like Austrian Schnellstraße, S2, S3, S4, S6, S8, S9, S21, S35, S44, S47, S56, S81, S84) but S letter was cancelled mostly by political reasons
thank god the s system wasnt introduced in hungary. it also makes no sense in austria (-> f.e. why continuing austrian A7 as S10??? wtf?)
Old August 25th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #5378
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

I believe "M" comes from "műút" - "artificial road".
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #5379
Kese

I have done some research in connection with this, asking elderly people who were directly involved with road/ motorway constructions at the traffic ministry level in the mid 60-s, when this question was decided. According to Bognár Vid the "M" was imported from the British system, and it just coincided with the word "Magyar". It has nothing to do with Soviet abbreviations, partly because there were no freeways it the SU at the time.
Kese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #5380
ilyan

Likes (Received): 863

What about new tender of stretch M3 Vaja-Vasarosnameny?
ilyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
budapest, highways, hungary, motorways