daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 28th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #6181
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
- Is the european economic crisis affecting to Hungary? (in development of roads)
The financial situation has an important effect to Hungarian road traffic. Lots of people left the country in the recent years (living in Germany, I'm one of them). The precise number is unknown, the most correct guess is probably around 5-600,000 people, which is 5-6% of the population. Many of them return to Hungary for every weekend, many of them (incl. me) only a few times yearly.
On Monday, 23rd I drove from Western Germany to Budapest, even in Bavaria (motorway A3) a significantly large part of the traffic were Hungarians, heading to Hungary for Christmas. In Austria and especially after Vienna, a majority of traffic were these people. In Mosonmagyaróvár (first gas station in Hungary) everyone bought motorway toll sticker for German and Austrian cars - and everyone asked for it using the Hungarian language. Just like me.
What does it mean for road traffic?
1., Traffic in Hungarian M1 and Austrian A4 increased dramatically Friday evening and Sunday evening / Monday morning.
2., Traffic in rest of the road network slightly decreased (those that don't live in Hungary, don't drive in Hungary). Domestic freight traffic, too, decrease (and will decrease even more): those that don't live in Hungary, don't buy goods in Hungary. Roads that were heavily congested, have now free flow.

javimix19 liked this post
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #6182
Sisimoto the HUN

Likes (Received): 292

I noticed that a lot of times, people writing the names of cities,villages wrongly and not just Hungarian ones! Like now with the border village Röszke(surely not Rözske). I know it can be really hard to remember how it is written, or how to pronunce it. But it is the minimum to write these names correctly, cos' the other foreign forumers will recognize the false version only,which is not right. So please have a look on the google if you wish and be little bit more precise & correct. Thx guys.

bzbox liked this post
Sisimoto the HUN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #6183
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
The financial situation has an important effect to Hungarian road traffic. Lots of people left the country in the recent years (living in Germany, I'm one of them). The precise number is unknown, the most correct guess is probably around 5-600,000 people, which is 5-6% of the population. Many of them return to Hungary for every weekend, many of them (incl. me) only a few times yearly.
On Monday, 23rd I drove from Western Germany to Budapest, even in Bavaria (motorway A3) a significantly large part of the traffic were Hungarians, heading to Hungary for Christmas. In Austria and especially after Vienna, a majority of traffic were these people. In Mosonmagyaróvár (first gas station in Hungary) everyone bought motorway toll sticker for German and Austrian cars - and everyone asked for it using the Hungarian language. Just like me.
What does it mean for road traffic?
1., Traffic in Hungarian M1 and Austrian A4 increased dramatically Friday evening and Sunday evening / Monday morning.
2., Traffic in rest of the road network slightly decreased (those that don't live in Hungary, don't drive in Hungary). Domestic freight traffic, too, decrease (and will decrease even more): those that don't live in Hungary, don't buy goods in Hungary. Roads that were heavily congested, have now free flow.
I think roads in Hungary are super-important. Especially M1 motorway. If someone wants to see huge number of cars with different foreing licence plates on one place, M1 is the best. It is roughly former "orient express" route after all.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #6184
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Is the M70 planned to became a motorway?
From the underpasses' width I would guess no.
https://maps.google.it/maps?ll=46.44...27.83,,0,11.42
If one travels from Lisboa to almost the Ukrainian border, this is the only non-motorway part.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #6185
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11821

yes it is, it should be widened until 2018. interestingly, about 40% of M70 is already 2x2 with hard shoulders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJVnlSPv6H0
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #6186
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Drove on that road today!
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #6187
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
interestingly, about 40% of M70 is already 2x2 with hard shoulders.
More than 50% actually. It would be interesting to know which license plates are most common there. I think there are many more Romanians driving there than Slovenians (perhaps even more than Hungarians at the border), which means there are more Romanians driving on the last part of the Slovenian A5 than Slovenians as well.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #6188
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

edit
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 02:41 AM   #6189
bzbox

Likes (Received): 135

Verso, I also think on M70 most drivers come from Romania, then Hungary and Ukraine.
Most Polish and Slovakian drivers go on 86/M86 road to Rajka.
Old December 30th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #6190
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

There are probably more Romanians crossing the border there than all others combined.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #6191
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
More than 50% actually
i really would like to ask the responsibles what was in their heads, when planning this road...
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 10:20 AM   #6192
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbox View Post
Verso, I also think on M70 most drivers come from Romania, then Hungary and Ukraine.
Most Polish and Slovakian drivers go on 86/M86 road to Rajka.
And all drive on M1. Most of cars have German licence plates, perhaps gastarbeiters, then romanian, austrian, slovak, ukrainian and bulgarian. Italians drive rather caravans and common are Czech and Polish tourists especially in summer season as well.

From Slovak point of view, hungarian motorway network provide best connection between two most populous cities in slovakia.

Old December 30th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #6193
zsimi80
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
And all drive on M1. Most of cars have German licence plates, perhaps gastarbeiters, then romanian, austrian, slovak, ukrainian and bulgarian. Italians drive rather caravans and common are Czech and Polish tourists especially in summer season as well.

From Slovak point of view, hungarian motorway network provide best connection between two most populous cities in slovakia.
"From Slovak point of view, hungarian motorway network provide best connection between two most populous cities in slovakia."

Our history is common.

zsimi80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #6194
bzbox

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
So you're suggesting that best way to travel from Bratislava to Košice is via D2-M15-M1-M0-M3-M30-3-R4?

Isn't D1 shorter and faster?
Old December 31st, 2013, 12:22 AM   #6195
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbox View Post
So you're suggesting that best way to travel from Bratislava to Košice is via D2-M15-M1-M0-M3-M30-3-R4?

Isn't D1 shorter and faster?
There is a lot of commuters in Bratislava, statistical data assumes roughly 100k commuters from all around Slovakia. But "Hungarian way" is profitable and faster only for those who live in Kosice and further. And of course in specific time of a day, due to traffic jams and rush hour in Budapest. But yes, for some people it is the fastest way.

Slovakia is indeed missing "south connection" (namely R1+R2 or R7+R2). Everything is due to "main motorway" planned in interwar period during Czechoslovak times. This major motorway was planned in latitudinal direction from Cheb (Czech r.) to V. Bočkov (now Ukraine). This motorway had to enter Slovakia somewhere near Zilina and Bratislava had to be connected through Zilina only by branch (e.g. expressway). Situation has changed as number of vehicles started to grow up and private car commuting became more essential and obviously, after the break-up of Czechoslovakia. Thus northern way was under construction while southern one (more logical due to more favourable terrain and distance) was not even developed.

(sorry for o.t.)

Old December 31st, 2013, 01:26 PM   #6196
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

The Hungarian option isn't so profitable anymore for trucks since they introduced HU-GO truck tolls.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 03:13 PM   #6197
i15

Likes (Received): 612

volodaaaa, since R1 is completed, "Hungarian" route is not the fastest. It's also the most expensive one, because of: extra vignette payment, longer distance and higher average fuel consumption per 100km.
i15 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 03:17 PM   #6198
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by i15 View Post
volodaaaa, since R1 is completed, "Hungarian" route is not the fastest. It's also the most expensive one, because of: extra vignette payment, longer distance and higher average fuel consumption per 100km.
yeah, you are right, I have forgotten to take completed R1 into account. But I have few friends from Kosice, who had confirmed the Hungarian way to be the fastest. I confess it might be 3-5 years ago.

Old December 31st, 2013, 03:59 PM   #6199
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
yeah, you are right, I have forgotten to take completed R1 into account. But I have few friends from Kosice, who had confirmed the Hungarian way to be the fastest. I confess it might be 3-5 years ago.
Sure, it depends (weather/season, opening of new motorways sections, no border controls, toll prices.....). There is no long-term and versatile the best option. It is also internal Slovakian issue. For example, D1 (via Strecno) or R1 (via Donovaly) options for the route Ruzomberok-Bratislava etc.....
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 04:31 PM   #6200
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

Have the vignette prices changed for 2014? Also, is there no annual vignette anymore?

https://ematrica.autopalya.hu/
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
budapest, highways, hungary, motorways