daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 6th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #6421
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

@Jack_Frost: M30 isn't particularly busy though. M3 continues to Nyíregyháza, Debrecen, Romania, and Ukraine.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #6422
Puležan

Likes (Received): 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Nice photos! So few traffic even by Budapest? What's AADT here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
4 reasons for the low AADT:

1, Danube (despite plenty possibilities to cross the river)
2, it doesnt really serves Pécs
3, no transit route
4, toll
It's empty also because on the south end (HR and BIH) there's nothing which could attract more (if any) traffic. Croatian A5 (E73) is ~70% completed (from Osijek to A3) and has the lowest traffic volume of all motorways 2500-3000 vpd Croatians don't use it so much because of high tolls, route from Zagreb to Osijek is slightly shorter and absolutely without toll through D28 (A12) and D2 state road (via Bjelovar), route E73 doesn't go through Slavonski Brod (which is more or less industrial city), Osijek-Sl.Brod route is detoured as Budapest-Pecs and the economic situation in BIH is difficult, not to say something worse. So it's not that strange that M6 has so low traffic volume.

Hungarian M6 and Croatian A5 motorways won't have much bigger traffic, at least in next 20 years.
Old July 6th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #6423
cricric

Likes (Received): 3287

It's time to build the M4 and the connection to Sopron
cricric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #6424
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 13997

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricric View Post
It's time to build the M4 and the connection to Sopron
Well, M4 is already u/c around Szolnok from Abony to Fegyvernek.

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #6425
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

Both these signs are placed 1 km (1000 and 1100 m) before the exit, is there any reason for why they have such different designs?
Old July 6th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #6426
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Wouldn't it be better to go to Székesfehérvár on road 62?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #6427
zsimi80
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 553

" Is this name of province? or what? "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fej%C3%A9r_County

SRC_100 liked this post
zsimi80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #6428
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
2. No one want to go to Pécs from Budapest. It has not any sense. There's nothing there. Hungary is very centralized, not like the Netherlands or Western Germany. Budapest is not only much more populated than any other city in Hungary (6× bigger than the second one) but is economically even more developed. Actually there's only one region in Hungary (Győr) which is not a net beneficiary of the Hungarian balancing system so that we can almost say Budapest supports the whole nation. Real economical connections between Budapest and other cities are pretty low.
The point of a motorway to other parts of a country is that it enables economic growth in more parts of the country, instead of just one city. It helps to reduce the rural-urban income gap, Latin America is a good example of high inequality between cities and rural areas.

In northwestern Europe, rural areas are generally not noticably less developed than cities. This is in part due to the developed infrastructure. This keeps the countryside from emptying out, and makes commuting from the countryside possible.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Gubot, Sisimoto the HUN liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #6429
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
So what has Miskolc got, what Pécs hasnt? IMO M6 is not good for transit, and never will be, while at least M3 has some ukrainian/romanian transit.
Miskolc "has" Debrecen and Nyíregyháza. Pécs has nothing like them.
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #6430
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The point of a motorway to other parts of a country is that it enables economic growth in more parts of the country, instead of just one city. It helps to reduce the rural-urban income gap, Latin America is a good example of high inequality between cities and rural areas.

In northwestern Europe, rural areas are generally not noticably less developed than cities. This is in part due to the developed infrastructure. This keeps the countryside from emptying out, and makes commuting from the countryside possible.
1. Hungary has a stagnating, or even decreasing economy. Perhaps in a better economic situation could you have right, but definitely not now. Even in Budapest you have no chance for new developments.
2. Approx. 1 million people (10% of total polulation) has left Hungary in the recent 10 years. This dramatic emigration, too, reduces the chances for an economical development.
3. You can speak about "commuting from the countryside" in the Netherlands, or Scandinavia, but not in a country with such low incomes: in Hungary the average net (i.e. after tax or cheating tax) salary is approx. 500 euro while fuel costs almost the same as in Germany (approx. 1.40 euro / liter).
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #6431
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

All true, but the situation won't improve if you don't invest in infrastructure to enable economic growth. Spending money on infrastructure is an investment that will pay off over a longer period of time. I hope the rural areas / small cities of Hungary won't be written off.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

SRC_100, Gubot, Sisimoto the HUN liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #6432
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

First of all, any time I drive on M6 there is very low traffic. This picture I took on Thursday late afternoon. I was driving 120km/h on speedometer with tempomat (real speed was cca. 112-115 km/h) and from the begining of M6 near Mohacs I overtook maybe 20-30 cars and trucks, I was overtook by cca. 20 cars, so the traffic level is real very very low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
... and you didn't even take pictures of the infamous tunnels:

No, I didn't photoshop out the mountains.
Sorry, but I started taking photos after tunnels towards Budapest, because I took them by hand so in tunnels it could be dangerous
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:36 PM   #6433
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
All true, but the situation won't improve if you don't invest in infrastructure to enable economic growth. Spending money on infrastructure is an investment that will pay off over a longer period of time. I hope the rural areas / small cities of Hungary won't be written off.
Alright but our starting point was why is traffic on M6 so low ;-)) I tried to explain it. Whether M6 should have been built even for such a low traffic or not, it may be another question.
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #6434
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsko View Post
Both these signs are placed 1 km (1000 and 1100 m) before the exit, is there any reason for why they have such different designs?
For Me different design is negligible as the most important information is exit number - knowing them is easiest way to travel into Your destination. You can also easily guess where You are and how long motorway is left. And the third thing is that for foreigner local names blind into one which may mislead. So regardless what design signs have it is big for comprehensive exits numbering.

Norsko liked this post
Richard_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #6435
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Quote:
1. Hungary has a stagnating, or even decreasing economy. Perhaps in a better economic situation could you have right, but definitely not now. Even in Budapest you have no chance for new developments.
2. Approx. 1 million people (10% of total polulation) has left Hungary in the recent 10 years. This dramatic emigration, too, reduces the chances for an economical development.
3. You can speak about "commuting from the countryside" in the Netherlands, or Scandinavia, but not in a country with such low incomes: in Hungary the average net (i.e. after tax or cheating tax) salary is approx. 500 euro while fuel costs almost the same as in Germany (approx. 1.40 euro / liter).
With all due respect I think your first two statements are a bit exaggerated. Our GDP finally started growing and while it's true that not everything is sunshine and rainbows, Budapest does just fine nowadays not to mention towns with car factories like Győr or Kecskemét - and while it's hard to give the exact number of immigration the real number would be around half million.

Demigod of DLM

JackFrost, Sisimoto the HUN, COOLancs liked this post

Last edited by nbcee; July 7th, 2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old July 6th, 2014, 11:20 PM   #6436
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Quote:
Alright but our starting point was why is traffic on M6 so low ;-)) I tried to explain it. Whether M6 should have been built even for such a low traffic or not, it may be another question.
IMO the whole project was full of question marks from the beginning to say the least.

This motorway has some freight traffic between Budapest and Dunaújváros (mostly thanks to the Hankook tire factory there) so if it was only about connecting these two locations that would have been fine with me. But the more we go to the south the more pointless the whole idea is (at least with the current circumstances). And the cherry on the top are those tunnels built just a few meters below the surface through friggin' yellow soil. Aaand there goes my blood pressure again...

IMO M4 (or some other projects) should have been built waaay before they even started thinking about the Dunaújváros-Pécs section.

Demigod of DLM

Last edited by nbcee; July 7th, 2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old July 7th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #6437
cricric

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
Well, M4 is already u/c around Szolnok from Abony to Fegyvernek.
I know, but it's not enough. We need the entire motorway
Old July 7th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #6438
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Quote:
I know, but it's not enough. We need the entire motorway
So do we ('cause you know we kinda live here and stuff ) The other sections are currently at various stages of planning or getting approvals.

Demigod of DLM

cricric liked this post

Last edited by nbcee; July 7th, 2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old July 7th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #6439
cricric

Faster, faster
Btw, no news about the remaining M35?
Old July 7th, 2014, 01:25 AM   #6440
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Quote:
Btw, no news about the remaining M35?
According to this source they will open the next section of M35 in 2017 if everything goes well.

Demigod of DLM

cricric liked this post

Tags
budapest, highways, hungary, motorways