daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2015, 01:10 AM   #7161
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcee View Post
If you plan to visit Makó regurarly I suggest purchasing a "county vignette" for Csongrád county.
Yes, in fact it's what I will have to do, I can't resist to Mako baths but I'm furious against hungarian road autority, such politics is a non-sens and a racket about those that are traveling righ behind the border, I tought that M43 until Mako was free because they were smart and caring about logic and safety for both travelers and inhabitants of small cities on the old road, but obviously it is not the case...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2015, 01:32 AM   #7162
nbcee
Machiavellian travesty

Likes (Received): 14005

I'm guessing they thought that relatively few people will have Makó as their final destination

Emperor of Bir Tawil and the Nbcee farmlands
Demigod of DLM
nbcee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 01:41 AM   #7163
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

For once, this "tolled from the border line" thing is not a Hungarian specialty. It's the same in Austria (as mentioned before), or for Switzerland, except for short expressway sections right behind the Thayngen and Bargen border crossings.

I wonder if there will be a de facto free section to the Makó junction (i.e. controls only more inward). M1 in direction of Budapest has a de facto free stretch from the Austrian border to a designated toll-purchase "side bay" some 10 kms inward. That bay is the last possibility to purchase the sticker coming from Austria; 500 mts after the bay, a control vehicle is common.
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 08:31 AM   #7164
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11830

No possibility to purchase Hungarian vignette in Romania?
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 09:22 AM   #7165
bogdymol
bogdymod

I always buy the Hungarisn vignette online, before the trip, so no problem for me.

It is weird not to be allowed to exit the motorway at the first opportunity after the border without a valid vignette.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 10:33 AM   #7166
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
It is weird not to be allowed to exit the motorway at the first opportunity after the border without a valid vignette.
Which countries do generally allow it? I think there's no country.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 11:27 AM   #7167
bogdymol
bogdymod

Italy for example doesn't install the first toll plaza until after the first exit after the border (so you can freely drive between the border and the first exit).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

winnipeg liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 12:06 PM   #7168
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1174

Austria used to have one special area, from the German border to Kufstein Süd (e.g. this section: https://goo.gl/maps/NttYnLjWJU12) where until ~2 years ago the Vignette was not needed - mostly to keep the (German) tourists that go skiing in Kitzbühel and neighbouring places from going through the town of Kufstein itself while evading the toll.

Kufstein obviously isn't really happy with that change...
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 02:18 PM   #7169
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Czech Republic and ... Hungary from west-north and north for sure (M15 and M1), not sure if Slovakia.

winnipeg liked this post
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 06:43 PM   #7170
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
It should be a rule that the motorway is free until the first exit. It's not always possible to turn back - there's an example at Rajka on the M15 that you actually can't turn back once you enter Hungary.

CZ definitely operates toll-free between the border and the first exit. SK seemingly not (at least, definitely not between Bratislava-Jarovce and the D2). A definitely not. SLO allows you to travel "until the first point of sale", but in reality, seems to allow you to exit at the first junction. H - definitely not. RO - no. MD - no. CH - no. And formerly - MNE - no.

I've spoken about it before, but it should be mandatory to allow drivers the opportunity to exit. For instance, at Rajka, you can't leave the M15 once you enter Hungary, even though the obligation to have a vignette isn't mentioned before the border.

I know Austria was always having a field day with getting Slovak drivers that were exiting at Kittsee too.

winnipeg, Fooxx67 liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 07:38 PM   #7171
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRC_100 View Post
Hungary from west-north and north for sure (M15 and M1)
No. Definitely: NO. The motorway M1 and expressway M15 are tolled in full length, i.e. from the border.
SEE MAP. Red: tolled motorways. Validity: in 2015.
There is an actual policy that e-stickers are not checked between the A/SK border and the fomer toll plaza which is now an e-sticker selling station, but officially these motorways are tolled from the border and theoretically your car may be checked right after the border.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 10:24 PM   #7172
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
CZ definitely operates toll-free between the border and the first exit. ...
You're definitely wrong - motorways in CZ are toll-free between border and first place where you can buy a sticker. At D1 it is the Shell station near Antošovice (so the section until first exit is free), at D2 you need to buy sticker at Lanžhot rest area, at D5 at the Rozvadov rest area - on both latter motorways section till the first exit is tolled...
Old January 1st, 2016, 03:16 AM   #7173
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman:cz View Post
You're definitely wrong - motorways in CZ are toll-free between border and first place where you can buy a sticker. At D1 it is the Shell station near Antošovice (so the section until first exit is free), at D2 you need to buy sticker at Lanžhot rest area, at D5 at the Rozvadov rest area - on both latter motorways section till the first exit is tolled...
You're absolutely right. I was thinking about the signs on the D2 after the border saying that vignettes were not required for 5km - but measuring the distance from the border to the Breclav exit, it's more than 5km.

So there we have it - no country seems to operate a "until the first exit" policy. Utterly unfair.

that Hungarian policy - is it just anecdotal, or is it an actual published policy like the Slovene "not until the first opportunity to buy"?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 04:01 PM   #7174
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

doesn't Austria have policy that motorways are free till the first exit?

Hungary used to have it till recent changes when they've introduced more restrictive tolls (for expressways e.g.)
Old January 1st, 2016, 04:20 PM   #7175
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19404

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
doesn't Austria have policy that motorways are free till the first exit?
They used to have that, but they now explicitly state that you need a vignette 'ab der grenze'.

Auf A 9 Pyhrn Autobahn gilt auch von Spielberg bis zur Grenze wieder Vignettenpflicht

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

winnipeg liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 09:26 PM   #7176
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman:cz View Post
D1 is toll free (bez poplatka) till junction Ostrava-Rudna, at least it was in first half of december 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
No. Definitely: NO. The motorway M1 and expressway M15 are tolled in full length, i.e. from the border.
SEE MAP. Red: tolled motorways. Validity: in 2015.
All right, it seems I was wrong. But few years ago it was like I wrote before
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2016, 12:43 AM   #7177
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Has it happened to someone to get a fine for just entering a random tolled highway without the sticker ? Lets say that you are being stopped after 10-20 meters when entering a new country. How should a tourist know to buy the sticker in the country he/she is passing instead of buying it at the first coming gas station.
tfd543 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2016, 12:44 AM   #7178
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1174

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They used to have that, but they now explicitly state that you need a vignette 'ab der grenze'.

Auf A 9 Pyhrn Autobahn gilt auch von Spielberg bis zur Grenze wieder Vignettenpflicht

I wouldn't say "used to have": what you are quoting was an exception for a few months - due to the refugee crisis, they had closed the border crossing on the national road parallel to the A9 motorway, which made the latter the one possible crossing, and it was made toll-free for that reason.
Since they reopened the crossing (which the quoted news entry talks about) you have to have the vignette right from the border crossing - as before, and as usual.

Other than that, the only exception used to be what I mentioned already earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
Austria used to have one special area, from the German border to Kufstein Süd (e.g. this section: https://goo.gl/maps/NttYnLjWJU12) where until ~2 years ago the Vignette was not needed - mostly to keep the (German) tourists that go skiing in Kitzbühel and neighbouring places from going through the town of Kufstein itself while evading the toll.

rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2016, 10:41 AM   #7179
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRC_100 View Post
All right, it seems I was wrong. But few years ago it was like I wrote before
Exactly. It was changed in 2015. Since 1.1.2015 all motorways in Hungary are tolled in whole length (exception: usually when a new motorway is opened, it is free for some months, e.g. until the end of the year).

SRC_100 liked this post
Old January 2nd, 2016, 10:48 AM   #7180
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
It's always an issue. In not so rich nations, like Hungary, even more. Not only at the borders but in the middle of the country, too. There are quite many motorists and many trucks that avoid using the motorways in order not to pay tolls. Then residents of the nearby towns are angry: there is the new motorway and traffic still flows in front of their houses.
It is sometimes "funny": in Hungary when a new motorway is built, politicians usually do not say that it will be great for motorists but that it will be great for residents of towns along the old national road because heavy traffic will not more flow in front of their houses. It seems so that motorways in Hungary are built in order to make national roads relaxed and not for motorists.

Tags
budapest, highways, hungary, motorways