daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2017, 12:10 PM   #7741
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I'll be driving from Budapest to Croatian seaside in early summer. Obviously the fastest way is to take M7 straight to the border, but I'm wondering whether it's worth taking a national road on the Northern shore of lake Balaton. Is it a nice road and with something to see along the way? Time is not a problem as I'm planning to reach the sea in a single day in any case.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2017, 12:26 PM   #7742
KaaRoy

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
I'll be driving from Budapest to Croatian seaside in early summer. Obviously the fastest way is to take M7 straight to the border, but I'm wondering whether it's worth taking a national road on the Northern shore of lake Balaton. Is it a nice road and with something to see along the way? Time is not a problem as I'm planning to reach the sea in a single day in any case.
The detour would add at least 1,5 hours to your overall trip even without stopping anywhere. It depends where you have NOT been before. If both destinations are new to you, I would say, the driving fun on the curvy roads of the Croatian seaside beats Balaton...

What is your final destination in Croatia?
KaaRoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 12:41 PM   #7743
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaRoy View Post
The detour would add at least 1,5 hours to your overall trip even without stopping anywhere. It depends where you have NOT been before. If both destinations are new to you, I would say, the driving fun on the curvy roads of the Croatian seaside beats Balaton...

What is your final destination in Croatia?
It will be our first time in both Hungary and Croatia. It's all still in a planning phase so no exact destination in Croatia yet (possibly Split as a furthest point). The only thing for certain is that we have nine full days for a road trip Budapest -Croatian seaside and back.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 01:05 PM   #7744
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11821

Quote:
Veszprém county is definately worth a visit. The most diverse county in Hungary imo. So while I absolutely recommend the detour via road 71, make sure to stop at least at Balatonfüred, Zánka (Hegyestű),Tihany peninsula and Szigliget castle.

If you have a little more time I recommend going a bit further north to road 77 and to stop in Tapolca. Cave boat trips absolutely rule!

Sunfuns, Verso, Ultra84 liked this post
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 02:24 PM   #7745
KaaRoy

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
It will be our first time in both Hungary and Croatia. It's all still in a planning phase so no exact destination in Croatia yet (possibly Split as a furthest point). The only thing for certain is that we have nine full days for a road trip Budapest -Croatian seaside and back.
http://dailynewshungary.com/6-must-s...-uplands-area/

http://welovebalaton.hu/sights.cultu....national.park

And googling "Balaton Uplands" (Balaton Felvidék in Hungarian) will give you much more.

Sunfuns liked this post
KaaRoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #7746
bogdymol
bogdymod

M85 is finally on Google Maps.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

celevac liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 09:57 PM   #7747
bogdymol
bogdymod

Is there "Rettungsgasse" in Hungary?

Yesterday there was a minor accident on M5 southbound close to Budapest. There was a 1 or 2 km slow moving traffic (stop-and-go). All vehicles remained in their lanes, with the hard shoulder (emergency lane) free. Nothing unusual until now.

There was a police car and a fire truck that drove to the accident scene on the hard shoulder. Then there was an ambulance that drove on the center of the road, forcing the vehicles on the right lane to move to the hard shoulder and form the "Rettungsgasse". Few minutes later another ambulance came, but on the hard shoulder, forcing the same vehicles to move back to the first driving lane.

I don't have a problem with either system, but the Hungarian authorities should decide to one of them and stick to that one. Not use both, as it is confusing for the drivers and also causes delays for the emergency vehicles.

simondanut, idnaidna liked this post
Old February 11th, 2017, 10:28 PM   #7748
elbong

Likes (Received): 2712

Mostly:

Sometimes not:

Luki_SL liked this post
elbong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 02:27 AM   #7749
Nimróad

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
M85 is finally on Google Maps.
Sorry, but this is M86.
Nimróad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 11:56 AM   #7750
bogdymol
bogdymod

M85 is also shown on Google Maps, so I was technically correct
Old February 12th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #7751
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:

Yes, it was added to the road code ("KRESZ") in 2012 (section 8 of § 37).
The Rettungsgasse has to be formed in the same way as in the West: forming a corridor by vehicles in the left(most) lane moving to the left, and vehicles in the other lane(s) moving to the right.

The Rettungsgasse is mandated not only for emergency vehicles (using their emergency signals), but also for: traffic control vehicles, road maintenance and cleaning vehicles, and those recovering broken-down vehicles or providing technical assistance.

These latter cases are controversial since those vehicles usually do not use emergency signals, thus (apart from yellow roof lights) they aren't recognizable well in advance to drivers.

http://kreszforum.hu/tema-1/

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika

idnaidna liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #7752
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Theoretically, yes, it was added to traffic code just like Corvinus wrote. However, this change was hardly published, I suppose a vast majority of Hungarian drivers has never heard about it.
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 01:32 AM   #7753
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Wednesday morning: Pile-up of seven vehicles on M43 in extraordinarily foggy weather, 1 km from the border crossing, resulting in four fatalities and 13 transported to hospital, of whom five had to be cut out of their vehicles. According to Csongrád county police, there were no Hungarians involved.

The four dead victims are two Turks, a Romanian and a Bulgarian citizen. The majority of the wounded are Romanians and Bulgarians, as are the vehicles involved in the crash.

A Romanian witness of the scene said local emergency services were quick to arrive. According to Romanian television Digi24, ambulances were also sent from Arad across the border to assist in the rescue.

The motorway was closed down, with traffic diverted at Csanádpalota. Csongrád county police were distributing sandwiches and tea to those at the scene and have started criminal proceedings for causing a mass traffic accident with fatalities (article does not say if there is already any suspect).

http://www.hirado.hu/2017/02/15/hala...anadpalotanal/

Last edited by Corvinus; February 16th, 2017 at 01:39 AM.
Old February 18th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #7754
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Terrible story but not astonishing considering how many romanians/bulgarians/turks are going, they drive like crazy especially into fog, they don't seems to realise the danger in such situations...

celevac, Verso liked this post
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 03:33 PM   #7755
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Also, exhaustion at the wheel is a serious issue with these transiting gastarbeiters (and a part of truck drivers as well). They want to save time and money to the maximum possible, thus neglecting necessary rest (let alone, overnight stays in a hotel) to the point of over-exploiting themselves.

winnipeg liked this post
Old March 2nd, 2017, 01:20 AM   #7756
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

When will they start widening the M70? Wasn't contract signed already a few months ago?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 08:13 AM   #7757
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17434

It`s build and design tender. They need some months to make the project

Verso liked this post
Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 09:43 AM   #7758
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Motorway and main road truck traffic in 2015:

vehicle/day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladar View Post

SRC_100, bogdymol, Solčavec liked this post

Last edited by JackFrost; March 2nd, 2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 09:44 AM   #7759
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

It's about heavy traffic, not all traffic!
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 09:58 AM   #7760
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Corrected.

Tags
budapest, highways, hungary, motorways