daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2008, 02:58 PM   #1401
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2534

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
Yeah, I think bypasses were enough on the Hungarian section North of Vác. The has to be built anyway to Esztergom, a new bridge is planned anyway so it would be reasonable to build the Slovakian expressway there.
There's several options:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
...and the terrain is much more flat in the garam valley...
What is garam?
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:08 PM   #1402
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
What is garam?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hron
http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garam
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #1403
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

M70

Today I thoroughly examined the M70.

Here we go... From Slovenia into Hungary; the best border crossing there can be.

Forgive my worsening photographic skills behind the wheel.

Geesh.

No Matrica - no autópálya.

Going back home.

Some halfway between Budapest and Ljubljana.

I hope the photos weren't too bad. The M70 is quite fine for the amount of traffic, it just irritated me that there's speed limit of just 80 km/h (instead of 110) every time those 4-lane sections start and end. I didn't get that.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #1404
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

Nice pictures Verso!

I think they're a bit blurred because it's almost wintertime. Pics tend to get blurred then because there's less light and you're taking them from a moving object. I stopped taking pics for this year.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #1405
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Great pics, Verso! You had some beautiful weather out there. Over here it's very foggy and I can barely see a hundred metres
Indeed the best border crossing there is. No border station or whatsoever
Old November 4th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #1406
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

nice crossing, really, but I would place a gantry for the border crossing signs...

it would be more ephasized this way...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #1407
ChrisZwolle
Road user

How strict are border controls at the Romanian borders? What are typical waiting times?
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #1408
Timon91
Error

I think it's no more then 5 minutes for cars. It's an EU border now, so it shouldn't be any stricter than e.g. the German-Polish border (before last winter).
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #1409
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
nice crossing, really, but I would place a gantry for the border crossing signs...

it would be more ephasized this way...
I agree, it would look even better, more emphasized. Or at least they could put the country signs on both sides of the motorway (right and left). On my way back I was overtaking many trucks, so I didn't even notice when I entered Slovenia. Otherwise it was a really beautiful weather, but I forgot to use zoom; that way signs aren't moving so fast, b/c you take pics of them from afar, so they turn out more clear (it's also true that there's less light this time of the year, but the Slovenian A5 just opened, so what can I do, hehe). Oh, one more thing that irritated me by the M70 is curbstone along it sometimes. I felt a bit claustrophobic, especially while taking pics. I don't know why they need it.
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #1410
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
How strict are border controls at the Romanian borders? What are typical waiting times?
typical waiting times are 5-10 minutes.before 2007 it took almost an hour to pass the border because there were 2 border controls(romanian+hungarian) and u had to show ur passport and the passport was electonically verified by each one of them.now with id's it's much easier..now, only in summer passing through the border can take 15-20 min, maximum 30.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #1411
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Great pics, great motorway, and great border crossing. Only it seems still strange for me why the Hungarian name for Zagreb is still put on the signs (only "Zagreb" with the HR-code would be more than enough, I think).
Old November 4th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #1412
Verso
Islander

Well, that's how some countries do it. We also put "Budimpešta" beside "Budapest".
Old November 4th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #1413
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

I know And I also know the strange Slovene signs towards Rijeka/Reka and Celovec/Klagenfurt and Beljak/Villach. In my opinion a bit (better: very much) exeggerated since (I hope..) everyone travelling in Slovenia should know where Villach, Klagenfurt or Rijeka is. It doesn't make the sings much clearer, on the contrary.

I suppose the sign Bécs-Wien at the Austrian border still exitst?
Old November 4th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #1414
Verso
Islander

The problem is that while not many ethnic Slovenes live in Rijeka, there's a quite big Slovenian minority in Trieste, and the Austrian Carinthia has historically been Slovenian, and still many Slovenes live there, so it's not our problem that Trieste isn't bilingual, although it should be. But if we only wrote "Trst" beside "Trieste", but not "Reka" beside "Rijeka", it would look as if we have some territorial pretensions for Italy, so that way we can avoid the confusion. But we should drop "Pulj" for Pula, b/c no one here uses it, and there's not many Slovenes living there anyway.

Last edited by Verso; November 4th, 2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #1415
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

hehe, Pulj/Pula/Pola story for me in SLO the strangest was Gradec/Graz

i like original names in each case. i could got confused this summer inport of Ancona because they have only italitan signs whish say Zara, so if you don't know that Zara is Zadar, you could get confused
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #1416
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
for me in SLO the strangest was Gradec/Graz
I know, even we say Graz (Grac), not b/c of the language, but b/c it's easier to pronounce (we even say Slovenj Graz (slovenj grac), which is in Slovenia ). But OTOH "Gradec" is actually more logical, b/c the word "Graz" derives from Slovenian "Gradec" (whole Austria used to be Slovenian a few hundred years back ), which means small castle.
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #1417
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Those translations are in my opinion the worst in European signage in general. They should only sign the actual name of a certain city. No German or Dutch traveller knows what the Slovenian name for Austrian on Hungarian cities would be, you also can't expect them to know that. In this day and age of open borders, unlimited travel, this shouldn't exist anymore.
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #1418
Timon91
Error

It's also the other way around. I'm glad they don't sign "Pressburg" in Austria instead of Bratislava, the average western European doesn't know what Pressburg means.
It can be quite funny what a city means in another language. In Germany, there is a town called "Opladen", which is Dutch for charging. And one that has already been mentioned often in the H&A section: "Aars" in Denmark.
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #1419
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Those translations are in my opinion the worst in European signage in general. They should only sign the actual name of a certain city. No German or Dutch traveller knows what the Slovenian name for Austrian on Hungarian cities would be, you also can't expect them to know that. In this day and age of open borders, unlimited travel, this shouldn't exist anymore.
Yes you ´re right, but this is more a political issue than geografic, so it will not change in the near future.
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #1420
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
It's also the other way around. I'm glad they don't sign "Pressburg" in Austria instead of Bratislava, the average western European doesn't know what Pressburg means.
don't mention it at hungarian thread

Tags
budapest, highways, hungary, motorways