daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #1841
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Snowy M7 pictures (23.02.2009)

The joint section of M1 and M7, exit Budaörs:

Heavy snowfall...

Why did the driver of that Suzuki SX4 switch on the rear fog-lights in dense traffic? I think it is very annoying.

Wet road surface, reduce your speed:

M1 and M7 will divide in 1km...

... actually here:

So here is the M7:

I/C M7-M0 in 500m (half covered sign by bushes... )

Info in multiple languages: Sószórás - Salzstreuung - Gritting Road:

I fell asleep here

So some 100km away, we are already at the Southern shore of Lake Balaton, exit Siófok-West, Zamárdi and Szántód, with ferry to the Northern shore of the lake:

Between hills:

Exit for Balatonföldvár and Bálványos, reduce your speed warning:

Approaching Viaduct Kőröshegy :

On the viaduct, you can't see sh*t from the landscape due to the weather:

Still...

End of viaduct, exit Balatonszárszó:

BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #1842
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

Cool report in snowy conditions

Nice 5 lanes section you have there in Budapest
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #1843
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Cool report! I wish we had some snow over here, so far it is only gray and sometimes a bit of rain (drizzle). I see a lot of ovals in your pics, btw
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #1844
wdw35

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
M1 and M7 will divide in 1km...
Looking at the M1/M7 one can see a feature that I've seen in more places in Hungary. BALATON as a destination is written in all caps (but nothing else is). For some reason i find that at the same time funny and annoying.
Anyone know the reason why it's written like that?
Or maybe it's written like that to distinguish it from the Balaton from Heves, which would only receive normal caps road signing

Oh, and since we're here, this one REALLY REALLY annoys me. On the M3 / M35 motorway system one cannot find a SINGLE sign pointing to RO, but there are numerous UA signs (and even SK signs, for M30 traffic!!), even though the number of UA+SK cars on M3 is a joke compared to the number of RO cars.
I mean, especially considering the very large number of Hungarian Romanians in Transylvania, i find the situation insulting.

I guess the only explanation I can see is related to the ******* useless bureaucratic pan-European corridors and TEN network shit. If anyone has other explanations... or, better yet, if anyone can do anything about this....

Last edited by wdw35; February 24th, 2009 at 03:32 PM.
wdw35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #1845
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

maybe because Balaton is a lake
maybe because there is no motorway reaching RO, but then none of them reach UA either
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #1846
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

If there is a future plan for one to reach UA they might already sign it, that happens in other countries as well.
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #1847
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

Is there any reason why this first sign (but with "1000 m" below it) is used at some places, and then the (more detailed) second one at other places. Do they not mean excacly the same?

Quote:

Great roads tough

Last edited by Norsko; February 24th, 2009 at 07:23 PM.
Norsko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #1848
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw35 View Post
Looking at the M1/M7 one can see a feature that I've seen in more places in Hungary. BALATON as a destination is written in all caps (but nothing else is). For some reason i find that at the same time funny and annoying.
Anyone know the reason why it's written like that?
Or maybe it's written like that to distinguish it from the Balaton from Heves, which would only receive normal caps road signing

Oh, and since we're here, this one REALLY REALLY annoys me. On the M3 / M35 motorway system one cannot find a SINGLE sign pointing to RO, but there are numerous UA signs (and even SK signs, for M30 traffic!!), even though the number of UA+SK cars on M3 is a joke compared to the number of RO cars.
I mean, especially considering the very large number of Hungarian Romanians in Transylvania, i find the situation insulting.

I guess the only explanation I can see is related to the ******* useless bureaucratic pan-European corridors and TEN network shit. If anyone has other explanations... or, better yet, if anyone can do anything about this....
Balaton is not a settlement, this can be the reason. It is a major destination on M7 though (especially at summer). I don't think it is annoying at all.

Maybe RO will be signed when the M35 reaches the border (direction Oradea), or the M49 is built (direction Satu Mare). The main road going to Romania is No. 43 (future M43), which branches off M5, RO is definitely signed there. As you see, we love ovals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsko View Post
Is there any reason why this first sign (but with "1000 m" below it) is used at some places, and then the (more detailed) second one at other places. Do they not mean excacly the same?
Great roads tough
It seems to be a new habit. At the 1000m sign the major destination of the motorway (here Nagykanizsa) and the next exit (Balatonszárszó, Balatonőszöd) is signed too. At 500m and "0m" these are not signed, just the settlements near the exit. I have seen such signs only on newly built sections (1-2 years old). Remembers me on the German system, which is a good example to be followed
Old February 24th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #1849
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

Thanks! That makes sence. I ve been wondering about this after working my way trough this thread
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #1850
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Nice weather, BND. The record in ovals is still Austria though. Though I also miss RO on Budapest bypass, but maybe the problem is that it's in too many directions. But then again, Slovakia is also in three main directions, Austria in two and Croatia in two. We also have Austria and Croatia in two main directions from Ljubljana, but we also sign the Austrian and Croatian destinations (Villach, Graz, Zagreb, Rijeka), so there's no confusion. But signing Košice or Osijek already in Budapest would be a bit odd... you don't even have Bratislava.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #1851
wdw35

Quote:
The main road going to Romania is No. 43 (future M43)
I disagree with this statement. I believe there is more RO-HU traffic on the M3/M35 corridor than on the M43.
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #1852
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

I think the three major border crossings are more or less equally important;

Mako
Bors
Satu Mare

, and should all be replaced by motorways.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #1853
wdw35

edit

Last edited by wdw35; May 18th, 2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #1854
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

http://www.nif.hu/multimedia/gallery...an_2009_02.jpg
..So Here is the recent map of hungarian existing and upcoming roads.
Dark Blue: Motor/Express-ways
Green: Main roads
Blue: Bridges
Red: Motorways/Expressways present time
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #1855
(HUN)RoGeR
MSc of Chem Engineering

Likes (Received): 356

Yellow box: U/C
White box: Waiting for bid (Is this the correct expression?)
(HUN)RoGeR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #1856
wdw35

A 7 km Mako east bypass is also under construction? Hmmm... that's not a very good sign in regards to when the rest of M43 (Mako - o/h) will be built...
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #1857
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw35 View Post
A 7 km Mako east bypass is also under construction? Hmmm... that's not a very good sign in regards to when the rest of M43 (Mako - o/h) will be built...
That bypass is part of the M43 project. The 1st phase of M43 will be built till Makó (will be ready in 2010 AFAIK) and the second phase to the border (2012). That bypass won't substitute the Makó-border section.
Old February 27th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #1858
wdw35

Quote:
That bypass is part of the M43 project. The 1st phase of M43 will be built till Makó (will be ready in 2010 AFAIK) and the second phase to the border (2012). That bypass won't substitute the Makó-border section.
My point was that having the Mako bypass built indicates that a few years will pass until the second stage will be built (I am not sure 2012 is realistic).
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #1859
wdw35

edit

Last edited by wdw35; May 18th, 2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old February 27th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #1860
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

I've noticed that M7 in Budapest suburbs has kind of unusual routing. It literally cuts right through 2 big residential neighbourhoods. Was this section built yet before the sprawl existed? Homes are extremely close to the motorway there. Are sound walls built there to reduce noise pollution?

I made an alternative route of the road which bypasses the suburbs. Better solution in my opinion.

Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
budapest, highways, hungary, motorways