search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Sri Lanka > Infrastructure, Transportation & Economy

Infrastructure, Transportation & Economy Discussing developments in infrastructure, transportation & economy

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #221
Colombo Express

Likes (Received): 81

http://www.srilankacricket.lk/featur...#comment-12735

check the comments above i asked some burning issues in this forum from the slc moderator...according to him slc are not going to build the two additional stands at hamba...bad news
Colombo Express no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #222
tig

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombo Express View Post
http://www.srilankacricket.lk/featur...#comment-12735

check the comments above i asked some burning issues in this forum from the slc moderator...according to him slc are not going to build the two additional stands at hamba...bad news
WOW, nice man, keep it up.
But what was the intention of reconstructing premadasa ? to have more
seats right ? but Premadasa looks smaller now ? and only one stand with 2 decks ? but in the old one we had 2 stands with 2 decks,

And can u plz ask him the amount of spectators all 3 venues would hold ? plz : D
tig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #223
Colombo Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post
WOW, nice man, keep it up.
But what was the intention of reconstructing premadasa ? to have more
seats right ? but Premadasa looks smaller now ? and only one stand with 2 decks ? but in the old one we had 2 stands with 2 decks,

And can u plz ask him the amount of spectators all 3 venues would hold ? plz : D
premadasa will have 4 stands with 2 decks plus 2 grand stans with 5 floors each...
Old September 18th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #224
Sri Lanka

Likes (Received): 0

Colombo Express,

See how 'napstersl' has credited the image to the source with a link back: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...5#post62483555

You need to do the same when you use photos from other sites.

You have failed to do that here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=201
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:42 AM   #225
Colombo Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri Lanka View Post
Colombo Express,

See how 'napstersl' has credited the image to the source with a link back: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...5#post62483555

You have failed to do that here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=201
WElcome to the Forum machang....

Are you the SLC moderator?(I figured that out)

Anyway thanx for the piece of advice and a warm welcome on behalf of The Sky Scraper City Sri Lankan community...
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:38 AM   #226
lordvader

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri Lanka View Post
Colombo Express,

LOL nice first post!

That said crediting other peoples work is a serious issue (due to copyright), so thanks for the reminder! Also welcome to SSC! Are you seriously the SLC Mod? If so, please tell us these stadiums will be ready by 2011. Weve already seen what happens when you leave construction to the last minute (Im sure we all know what Im talking about!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Disguise View Post
Yeah, lets see....I am also here and you too....Lets see how your over developed country Sri Lanka does it....

and yeah, CWG2010 stadiums are all complete and good quality work has been done...that you'll see very soon..dont need to wait till 2011...
Delhi's 'good quality work' has now been exposed!

Last edited by lordvader; September 22nd, 2010 at 10:46 AM.
lordvader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:24 PM   #227
Master of Disguise
Punjabi for Life..!!!

Likes (Received): 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
LOL nice first post!

That said crediting other peoples work is a serious issue (due to copyright), so thanks for the reminder! Also welcome to SSC! Are you seriously the SLC Mod? If so, please tell us these stadiums will be ready by 2011. Weve already seen what happens when you leave construction to the last minute (Im sure we all know what Im talking about!)

Delhi's 'good quality work' has now been exposed!
Yeah Sri Lankans need to be more educated so that they understand that FoB is no where related to CWG...

and its just a UNDER CONSTRUCTION FoB that has collapsed and the major factor being Heaviest RAINs in delhi in last 100 years....

All Venues and Stadiums are ready and in good shape....thanks have you passed your school ...just curious

iQuest Real Estate

New Delhi - NCR, INDIA
Master of Disguise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:13 PM   #228
lordvader

Quote:
thanks have you passed your school ...just curious
I have indeed passed school (unlike you it seems, by the fact you are very insecure about people needing to be 'educated'). I never had anything against Indians, although you are making me think the others were right. You need to calm down and see this situation from a world perspective.

Quote:
Yeah Sri Lankans need to be more educated so that they understand that FoB is no where related to CWG...

All Venues and Stadiums are ready and in good shape....
Not really, a ceiling just collapsed in an arena. Also there have been reports of dogs jumping on beds and exposed wires in the athletes village. Also people have been crapping inside the athletes village! As such it is totally related to the CWG. However unlike you im a realist and Ill admit so far the main venues do look in good shape. I also hope that Delhi stages a good Commonwealth Games. I dont wish any ill will upon other, unlike you it seems.

Last edited by lordvader; September 22nd, 2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:25 PM   #229
Master of Disguise
Punjabi for Life..!!!

Quote:
I have indeed passed school (unlike you it seems, by the fact you are very insecure about people needing to be 'educated'). This is backed by the fact you just insulted me about it. I never had anything against Indians, although you are making me think the others were right. You need to calm down and see it from a world perspective.

Not really, a ceiling just collapsed in an arena. Also there have been reports of dogs jumping on beds and exposed wires in the athletes village. Also people have been crapping in the athletes village! As such it is totally related to the CWG. Too bad your in denial over this. However unlike you im a realist and Ill admit so far the main venues do look in good shape. I also hope that Delhi stages a good Commonwealth Games. I dont wish any ill will upon other, unlike you it seems.

Yeah I have seen you Sri Lankans how good friends you are to Indians....anyways thats a different issue..!!!

However , I stand right when I say you need to get educated more.....Its not the CEILING that has collapsed its just a 3X3 ceiling tile that has come down which stands on a 1 inch channel...so thats not even close to being serious....

thats why I sd ....ehhhrrr...Its not even your fault...Its INDIAN MEDIA who are fcuk shits ...they are indeed proven worst media in the world...they have made a mountain out of a very very small issue....pathetic they are...

AGAIN I say all venues are ready and in good shape...

iQuest Real Estate

New Delhi - NCR, INDIA
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:36 PM   #230
lordvader

Quote:
However , I stand right when I say you need to get educated more.....Its not the CEILING that has collapsed its just a 3X3 ceiling tile that has come down which stands on a 1 inch channel...so thats not even close to being serious....

thats why I sd ....ehhhrrr...Its not even your fault...Its INDIAN MEDIA who are fcuk shits ...they are indeed proven worst media in the world...they have made a mountain out of a very very small issue....pathetic they are...

AGAIN I say all venues are ready and in good shape...
Yeh I suppose we are all taking stuff from the media, which in this world takes a small issue, and exaggerates it. I suppose thats how they make money! Anyway as Ive stated before I hope the games runs well for you guys! And I apologise for anything I said which may have offended you/or others (including the initial joke about 'quality work being exposed'). And Ill disregard anything youve said. Hopefully we can start on a fresh page!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:39 PM   #231
Master of Disguise
Punjabi for Life..!!!

Quote:
Yeh I suppose we are all taking stuff from the media, which in this world takes a small issue, and exaggerates it. I suppose thats how they make money! Anyway as Ive stated before I hope the games runs well for you guys! And I apologise for anything I said which may have offended you/or others (including the initial joke about 'quality work being exposed'). And Ill disregard anything youve said. Hopefully we can start on a fresh page!
Yes, we'll start fresh ....with friendship...bloody tired of hatred and negativism all around....ehhhhhrr

iQuest Real Estate

New Delhi - NCR, INDIA
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:46 PM   #232
lordvader

Quote:
Yes, we'll start fresh ....with friendship...bloody tired of hatred and negativism all around....ehhhhhrr
Agreed!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 05:14 AM   #233
Colombo Express

Quote:

and its just a UNDER CONSTRUCTION FoB that has collapsed and the major factor being Heaviest RAINs in delhi in last 100 years....

All Venues and Stadiums are ready and in good shape....thanks have you passed your school ...just curious
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:55 AM   #234
Canberra Raiders

Likes (Received): 2

Less talk, more progress pictures.....
Canberra Raiders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #235
lordvader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canberra Raiders View Post
Less talk, more progress pictures.....
The pictures are rare to find and most people in this forum dont live anywhere near the stadiums (with the exception of Premadasa) so I doubt theyll be many pics soon, unless SLC provides them.

Also continuing on with the CWG theme..

Although Hambantota more than likely wont get the 2018 games, some people overseas seem to be against a Hambantota bid due to rumoured Chinese influence. This relationship was reported in Australian newspapers. Is this actually true?

Last edited by lordvader; September 28th, 2010 at 05:20 AM.
Old September 28th, 2010, 05:53 AM   #236
saraprobe

Likes (Received): 370

China threat to Gold Coast games

China is looming as an unlikely threat to the Gold Coast’s bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games. Many considered the Gold Coast a certainty for the event when it emerged the only competing bid was from the small southern Sri Lankan city of Hambantota.

It may boast a population of about 11,000 - with 525,000 in the district - but the port city of Hambantota, situated on the shipping route between the Suez Canal and the Malacca Straits, is becoming increasingly strategically important in the region.

The Chinese have invested millions - if not billions - in recent years building infrastructure such as a sea port, and now there are fears the non-Commonwealth country could prove very influential in determining which city hosted the 2018 Games.

Gold Coast Mayor Ron Clarke said Hambantota posed a serious threat to Queensland’s chances.

“China is supporting them and China has got lots of money to build new facilities and they have provided facilities and financial assistance to a lot of Commonwealth countries, particularly in Africa,” Cr Clarke said.

“So if they want to call in their charge, then no matter how it appears on the surface, that could have an influence on votes.”

The influence of China has also been noted by Gold Coast 2018 bid chief executive Mark Peters, who said he was taking Hambantota’s bid very seriously.

“We’re respecting their bid - there’s always that question about what does that Chinese investment mean for the bid, but no-one has the answers to those questions,” he said.

“This is not a lay down misere - you see what’s happening in cricket at the moment, where suddenly there are different influences playing out.

“We’re in a much more political world than we’ve ever been.”

Mr Peters said 71 nations would cast their votes to determine the successful candidate city, which could play into Sri Lanka’s hands.

“The fact is that’s their vision is to recreate their country after the civil wars and the tsunami,” he said.

“They have a very strong legacy argument that could go over strongly with some of the African and Caribbean countries.”

Foreign policy expert Keith Suter said it was plausible China would seek to build on its sphere of influence by offering behind-the-scenes support to the Sri Lankan bid.

But Beijing would be careful not to be seen to work against Australia.

“Ron [Clarke] is right, China is now the single most important investor in Africa, but usually has different sorts of agendas,” he said.

“It’s not out to make life difficult for the Australians.”

However, Dr Suter said China already had a strong relationship with Australia, while its relationship with Sri Lanka needed more work.

“The Sri Lankans would say to the Chinese, ‘use your influence where you’re investing in order to help ensure our bid when it comes to the vote’,” he said.

“The problem is that Australia is already seen to be hosting a lot of sporting events, so Beijing may take the view that the Australians won’t mind losing out on the Gold Coast because they get so many other things.

“If the Australian government can counteract that impression by saying to the Chinese that we regard hosting the Commonwealth Games as being very significant indeed and we would regard it as a gross loss of face if we were to lose the bid, then it puts the Chinese in a real dilemma.”

Hui Feng, research fellow at the University of Queensland’s School of Political Science and International Studies, said Beijing’s original intention in Hambantota was to make strategic infrastructure investments.

“It is more likely that the Sri Lankan authorities and the local government would like to further expand the reputation of the town by bidding for the Games by diverting part of the fund from the Chinese investment, and Beijing did not feel compelled to oppose this,” he said.

Dr Feng said the investment was part of China’s “grand strategy” to establish itself as the major player in Asian and African developing countries.

Dr Suter said the new port in Hambantota was also driven by internal Sri Lankan politics.

“The reason for that is that Trincomalee, which is in the north, is in a Tamil-dominated area, so the Sri Lankan government in Colombo wants to develop this alternative port in case of further problems,” he said.

For the Gold Coast, Mr Peters said all the city can do is put in its best bid.

“What influence China has, we don’t know and we can’t lose sleep over it,” he said.

“We just know we can run the Games and they’ll be a very good Games in a friendly, safe environment and that’s the message we will push.”

A decision on the 2018 Commonwealth Games host city will be made on November 11 next year, Brisbane Times reports.

Ada Derana
saraprobe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 04:06 AM   #237
lordvader

Didnt see it before but theres already a Hambantota 2018 Commonwealth Games bid thread:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=64757835

Continue all Hambantota 2018 related discussions in there.

Also the main 2018 CWG bid thread (in the sports section):
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1079641
Old October 12th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #238
luke.skywalker

Durriappa stadium to be developed to international standards with Indian assistance :-

http://www.lankapuvath.lk/index.php?...eral&Itemid=70
luke.skywalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #239
luke.skywalker

Latest pictures from Premadasa and Pallekele stadiums

http://www.srilankacricket.lk/news/r...-stadium-rpics

http://www.srilankacricket.lk/featur...t-stadium-pics
luke.skywalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:16 PM   #240
justy

The R Premadasa Stadium is undergoing reconstruction

The R Premadasa Stadium is undergoing reconstruction, Sri Lanka v West Indies, 2nd Test, Premadasa Stadium, Colombo, 1st day, November 23, 2010

justy no está en línea   Reply With Quote