daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #181
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Going through moderately dense urban areas is no problem is the line is entirely on the viaduct.

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:20 PM   #182
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 891

Will the high speed rail goes all the way to Singapore interior?
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:10 AM   #183
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11286

4 groups eye KL-Singapore high-speed rail link project
By Sharen KaurPublished: 2013/05/02
http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_New...#ixzz2S6YbQPNH

FOUR consortiums will bid for the multi-billion ringgit high-speed rail (HSR) link between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, sources said.

Business Times was told that Tan Sri Syed Mokhtar Al Bukhary's MMC Corp Bhd is forming a consortium with Gamuda Bhd and roping in Chinese and European system integrators to bid for the HSR project.

Malaysia and Singapore in February had in principal agreed to build the HSR link between the two countries, with a target completion date of 2020.

The Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD) has said that details of the HSR link is being ironed out and tenders will be called by year-end.

SPAD chief development officer Azmi Abdul Aziz said the project will start this year.

Business Times has reported that the government is budgeting around RM40 billion for the project, which includes RM10 billion to buy high-speed bullet trains.

The HSR project has attracted three proposals over the last five years. They are from UEM Group Bhd-Ara Group; YTL Corp Bhd; and China Infraglobe-Global Rail Sdn Bhd.

It is understood that government investment arm Khazanah Nasional Bhd is also eyeing the HSR link and its involvement in the project will be via UEM Group, in which it holds a substantial stake.

UEM Group, meanwhile, is working with Ara Group, founded by Tan Sri Ravindran Menon, to form a consortium with European companies that may include Spanish bullet train maker Talgo.

Business Times reported recently that Talgo, part of a consortium that won a US$9 billion (RM27.4 billion) HSR job in Saudi Arabia last year, is planning to offer its "duck" train here.

Talgo believes its "El Pato" (Spanish for duck) trains are suitable for Malaysia's HSR project.

Its deputy chairman Mario Oriol said it is talking to several Malaysian companies, including the current interested bidders, to form a consortium and bid for the HSR project here.

The source said YTL Corp, controlled by Tan Sri Francis Yeoh, is also interested in the project and will make a bid with several foreign firms, which may include Siemens AG.

The group first mooted the idea to build the HSR link in 2008 but the proposal was shot down by the government due to the high cost, which was RM8 billion then.

Global Rail, a privately-held railway engineering firm, meanwhile, is in talks with Canada's Bombardier Inc and Chinese firm China Railway Group, the source said.

"We expect another group to come in but so far, these are the four interested parties. They are strengthening their position by bundling in experts and expertise," the source added.
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:10 PM   #184
hmmwv

I'm hoping for a Bombardier Zefiro 380.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:02 AM   #185
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

The Zefiro 380 was designed solely with the Chinese market in mind, it's very unlikely to be the exact model used.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:10 AM   #186
ddes

Likes (Received): 938

LOL. If it were solely based on ride quality, I'd love to have the CRH380A which is in my opinion, the smoothest ride I've experienced of all the HSR models. The only >300km/h HSR I haven't rode are Alstom AGVs.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:22 AM   #187
SgWay

Likes (Received): 802

Malaysia railway is entering its golden age in the next two decades.At least for the peninsular.
-double tracking and electrification of the KTMB line from Johor to Padang Besar-ongoing
-double tracking of KL-Mentakab-Kerteh-Tumpat in East Coast peninsular Malaysia-Under planning
-Northern and Souther KTM Komuter and potential spur lines-Under planning and to be executed once the double tracking has been completed.
-KL-Singapore High Speed Railway-under planning and possible execution by
-Massive Klang Valley MRT network and possible new LRT routes between Port Klang-Klang town-Shah Alam City and Petaling Jaya City.- on going.Planning phase for P.Klang-Shah Alam LRT.
-MRT link between Johor Bharu city and Singapore and possible expansion of MRTnetwork into Johor Bharu and Iskandar economic zone-Under planning but the JB-Singapore link may start soon.

SgWay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:45 AM   #188
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
LOL. If it were solely based on ride quality, I'd love to have the CRH380A which is in my opinion, the smoothest ride I've experienced of all the HSR models. The only >300km/h HSR I haven't rode are Alstom AGVs.
I hope you realise that's far more to do with track quality rather than the train itself
Old May 3rd, 2013, 12:33 PM   #189
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
I envy you the experience. I've never tried the CRH380A. I myself am pretty impressed with Siemens' Velaro (ICE3 and foreign derivatives) which, while being plagued by very other technical glitches, really runs smooth like silk. You're saying the Bombardier clone is even better?
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #190
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11286

Quote:
Malaysia-Singapore Connectivity: Increased Rail, Road and Sea Links
http://www.rsis.edu.sg/publications/...SIS0342013.pdf
KL-Singapore high-speed rail to enhance growth of Iskandar
By Haziq Hamid of theedgemalaysia Friday, 03 May 2013 12:57
http://www.theedgeproperty.com/news-...-iskandar.html

PETALING JAYA: The proposed Kuala Lumpur-Singapore high-speed rail link (HSR) will further boost the growth of Iskandar Malaysia in Johor and create more growth areas.

Malaysia Building Society Bhd (MBSB) senior vice-president of corporate business Nor Azam Taib told The Edge Financial Daily: “Since it was initiated six years ago, Iskandar Malaysia has received warm response for most new property launches from both local and foreign buyers.”

The completion of several catalytic projects in Iskandar sent strong signals to investors of the good growth prospects of the area. A recent investor is Kuok Brothers Sdn Bhd, which put in RM182 million.

The Johor property market is expected to remain bullish, driven by the growth of Iskandar in the years to come.

“Iskandar would not only enlarge the economic pie of Johor, but also enhance Malaysia’s strategic position as an investment destination in the Asean region,” said Nor Azam.

He added that there is growing international recognition of Iskandar as Malaysia’s future engine of growth as the KL-Singapore HSR will enhance connectivity between the two countries.

According to Kumar Tharmalingam, executive director of Sunway Bhd, with the travel time from KL to Singapore expected to be reduced to 90 minutes door-to-door via the HSR compared with the current four to five hours via road, more businesses are expected to explore opportunities in both countries.

“There will be a lot of businesses benefiting from the HSR, including financial services, real estate, and oil and gas companies located in Singapore.

There will also be more inter-migration of professionals between the two countries and more joint venture trading, manufacturing and services as talent flows from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur and vice versa,” said Kumar.

He added that the economic benefits to Malaysia will be exponential as investments move from Singapore to Malaysia. “Economic connectivity will push up the quality of life in Kuala Lumpur and parts of Malaysia as well as bring real benefits to both countries. The HSR will ease the pressure on living space in Singapore.”

Knight Frank Malaysia managing director Sarkunan Subramaniam expects more growth areas to emerge along the HSR’s proposed stops. As three of the stops will be within Iskandar, the region is expected to remain the one growth area in Malaysia to have three sub centres.

“Although Johor, as Malaysia’s biggest attraction for foreign investors in the future could be a long-term possibility, Selangor will be tough to beat as its infrastructure development is decades ahead,” said Sarkunan.

From January to March this year, Iskandar recorded RM5.06 billion in new investments with a cumulative committed investment from 2006 to end-March 2013 of RM111.37 billion. Property development contributed RM40.02 billion, comprising residential, retail and industrial products.

Nor Azam, Sarkunan and Kumar will be sharing their views at a panel discussion on “The impact of the KL-Singapore high-speed rail” at The Edge Investment Forum on Real Estate on May 11. The forum is sponsored by MBSB and supported by Sunway.
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #191
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

This is really one of the most exciting HS projects these days. In Europe we have mostly tag-on investment to the main lines that already exist. In some emerging economies projects seem to pop up for politics and prestige reasons. Conversely, Singapore-KL makes so much SENSE. The two cities are at an adequate distance for a point-to-point concept; they have sufficient population; and they have dense business districts at their centres. This is what high-speed rail is all about!

sc4, ScuderiaVincero, sepul liked this post
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #192
Neb81

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
Will the high speed rail goes all the way to Singapore interior?
It seems a bit up in the air at the moment as to what will happen at the Singapore end. The only way it will reach into the interior is if the whole Singaporean section is in tunnel, as SG has a law prohibiting the use of overhead cantenary on above ground rail systems, and also has decided that all future MRT systems will be fully underground, so the chances for HSR being on viaduct or at grade are minimal.

As such cost becomes an issue. As the crow flies, Woodlands to the CBD is ~20km, plus the cost of major rail terminus built underground. That's a lot of money. As such I imagine there will be a compromise solution, with a terminus beyond Woodlands but outside the CBD. This means the terminus could be built much more simply, probably mostly on the surface with just the platforms on the lower level, somewhat like KL Sentral. I imagine the final choice will also be dictated by how the alignment gets routed through JB, but maybe somewhere like Bukit Batok, perhaps?
Neb81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #193
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post

The Zefiro 380 was designed solely with the Chinese market in mind, it's very unlikely to be the exact model used.
Of course not that name, but as the most advanced Zefiro it can be easily adopted for Malaysia's line. The Zefiro 380 is afterall a Bombardier designation, CRH380D is its Chinese name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
I envy you the experience. I've never tried the CRH380A. I myself am pretty impressed with Siemens' Velaro (ICE3 and foreign derivatives) which, while being plagued by very other technical glitches, really runs smooth like silk. You're saying the Bombardier clone is even better?
CRH380A has nothing to do with Bombardier, I rod ICE3 when I was in Europe and I would say CRH380A is smoother. The Velaro is pretty close though, far better than the TGV. But like Sopomon said, it also has everything to do with track quality, with China's newer lines almost everything will be able to travel on it smoothly.
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #194
Restless

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:

Don't the plans envision high speed trains running from China to Singapore via Malaysia, Thailand and Laos?
Restless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #195
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Well the 'plans' do, but that was back in 2009 or so when that that idea was floated. It seems it's been quietly killed off, or at least left to wait.

It was that HSR maniac Liu (I forget his name, might be wrong) who proposed that and the China-Europe HSR
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #196
Restless

Quote:
Well the 'plans' do, but that was back in 2009 or so when that that idea was floated. It seems it's been quietly killed off, or at least left to wait.

It was that HSR maniac Liu (I forget his name, might be wrong) who proposed that and the China-Europe HSR
Hasn't ASEAN has been pushing for a Kunming - Singapore railway since 2000?
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #197
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb81 View Post
It seems a bit up in the air at the moment as to what will happen at the Singapore end. The only way it will reach into the interior is if the whole Singaporean section is in tunnel, as SG has a law prohibiting the use of overhead cantenary on above ground rail systems, and also has decided that all future MRT systems will be fully underground, so the chances for HSR being on viaduct or at grade are minimal.

As such cost becomes an issue. As the crow flies, Woodlands to the CBD is ~20km, plus the cost of major rail terminus built underground. That's a lot of money. As such I imagine there will be a compromise solution, with a terminus beyond Woodlands but outside the CBD. This means the terminus could be built much more simply, probably mostly on the surface with just the platforms on the lower level, somewhat like KL Sentral. I imagine the final choice will also be dictated by how the alignment gets routed through JB, but maybe somewhere like Bukit Batok, perhaps?
Couldn't they reuse the tracks leading to the old station in Tanjong Pagar?
I thought the station was pretty cool when I passed through it previously.

And I guess the other alternative is to have a terminus next to one of the many existing MRT subway stations.
Old May 14th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #198
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Well yeah, and look where we are, 13 years later.
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #199
tonii

Likes (Received): 3314

Quote:

It never get into the action on region level. All the HSR project that is happening now (Laos, Thailand, Malaysia-Singapore) is per each country own interest. China has so many plans to connect with ASEAN but I doubt the conflict with several countries in the region now will help much.
tonii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #200
TWK90
Infrastructure

Likes (Received): 3177

Quote:
Couldn't they reuse the tracks leading to the old station in Tanjong Pagar?
I thought the station was pretty cool when I passed through it previously.

And I guess the other alternative is to have a terminus next to one of the many existing MRT subway stations.
Unfortunately it isn't possible to reuse the tracks towards Tanjong Pagar.

The corridor along the line (now dismantled) is crowded, comes with some level crossings as well as the fact that some of the sections do not have space for double track (the previous one was single track).

It is suggested that the HSR alignment may cross from Second Crossing towards Tuas in Singapore.
TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote