daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2014, 08:59 AM   #261
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11285

There's MRT circle line station here at Bandar Malaysia (the redevelopment of the old Sungai Besi airport) in the future also

Last edited by nazrey; March 31st, 2014 at 09:19 AM.
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2014, 09:57 AM   #262
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

Likes (Received): 904

Here's my issue. Imagine someone in Singapore wants to take a short weekend trip to Ipoh. Given the current HSR proposal doesn't see the line going further north than Kuala Lumpur, we know our unnamed traveller must exchange trains here in KL, from the high speed service to the ETS. Wouldn't our traveller find his interchange more comfortable if he didn't have to lug around his bags on a subway line?
georgiaame
Will Etihad do a bacon sandwich for that price? I didn't think so.

tullamarine I don't think Etihad (or Emirates for that matter) will do a bacon sandwich at any price!!! Qantas customers on Sydney/Melbourne-London lost bacon from the breakfast menu following the Emirates alliance.

BaconButty I finally understand the true horrors of globalization.
ScuderiaVincero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 06:17 PM   #263
ddes

Likes (Received): 935

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuderiaVincero View Post
Here's my issue. Imagine someone in Singapore wants to take a short weekend trip to Ipoh. Given the current HSR proposal doesn't see the line going further north than Kuala Lumpur, we know our unnamed traveller must exchange trains here in KL, from the high speed service to the ETS. Wouldn't our traveller find his interchange more comfortable if he didn't have to lug around his bags on a subway line?
I don't think lugging around bags across the subway network is the point. The point is, Ipoh will still not be a weekend trip option for Singaporeans, even after the high-speed rail to Kuala Lumpur is opened.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 07:04 PM   #264
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

Even if Ipoh isn't the most favored destination for Singaporeams, I'm pretty sure you realise my main point, which is the sorry state of connectivity between the HSR and KTM Intercity services, should they terminate the former in Bandar Malaysia. One could argue that the future MRT Circle Line will bridge the gap between Sentral and Bandar Malaysia, but that solution is ultimately not as good as taking a connecting train in the same station.
georgiaame

tullamarine I don't think Etihad (or Emirates for that matter) will do a bacon sandwich at any price!!! Qantas customers on Sydney/Melbourne-London lost bacon from the breakfast menu following the Emirates alliance.

jonasry liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:43 AM   #265
nazrey

Singaporean can also take ETS from Johor (JB Sentral) directing to Ipoh according to Electrified Double Track project southern section (project most likely to start in 2015-2016 which from now on EDT projects was done at Gemas as the last stop for southern station already )

EDT @ Gemas

kyah117 liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:00 AM   #266
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

I am aware of the double-tracking project of course, but are you saying that, because of it, integration between the HSR and existing railway lines is unnecessary?
georgiaame

Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:25 AM   #267
cle

Likes (Received): 524

No news on the Singapore station location?

I think that something in the Tanjong Pagar/CBD area would be useful. Either it could use some of the old alignment, but then extend underground a bit further so that it connected with the MRT at TP and Robinson Road - or a Marina Bay station which again was long enough (the trains will be 300m+?) to also connect to thew Downtown MRT and the edge of the CBD there.

A double-ended, underground station with a lot of connecting tunnels might be able to bridge the gap between available space, reasonable onwards MRT and being at an actual destination in itself.
cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:43 AM   #268
nazrey

http://app.kwpkb.gov.my/greaterklkv/...-project-rail/
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:47 AM   #269
nazrey

HSR in Malaysia will stop at KLIA before heading to city centre that means all rail travellers can interchange with ERL there to KL Sentral for buying ETS ticket to the north

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle View Post
No news on the Singapore station location?

I think that something in the Tanjong Pagar/CBD area would be useful. Either it could use some of the old alignment, but then extend underground a bit further so that it connected with the MRT at TP and Robinson Road - or a Marina Bay station which again was long enough (the trains will be 300m+?) to also connect to thew Downtown MRT and the edge of the CBD there.

A double-ended, underground station with a lot of connecting tunnels might be able to bridge the gap between available space, reasonable onwards MRT and being at an actual destination in itself.
How about in the Changi Airport then 2 major airports in the region will connect each other
Old April 7th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #270
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 3337

An article from CNA.

Quote:
M'sia, S'pore welcome progress on joint projects
By Vimita Mohandas
POSTED: 07 Apr 2014 14:41
UPDATED: 07 Apr 2014 20:50

Singapore’s Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak have welcomed both countries' steady progress on joint iconic projects in Singapore and the Iskandar region, as well as in other areas of co-operation.

PUTRAJAYA: Singapore’s Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak have welcomed both countries' steady progress on joint iconic projects in Singapore and the Iskandar region, as well as in other areas of co-operation.

At a joint press conference on Monday morning, both leaders also reviewed the progress on improving connectivity between Malaysia and Singapore - including the proposed high-speed rail (HSR) and a rapid transit system link (RTS).

The announcements were made following the fifth Malaysia-Singapore Leaders' Retreat in Kuala Lumpur on Monday.

The high-speed rail, slated to be completed by 2020, will facilitate seamless travel between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, enhance business linkages and bring both countries closer together.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong revealed that Tuas West and Jurong East were some of the likely locations where the station could be located.

Meanwhile, Malaysia has said its station will be located in Sungai Besi.

But Mr Lee said there is still much to be settled, such as its design, financing, as well as security and immigration requirements.

This will require work on both sides.

The leaders also noted work done on the first phase of the joint engineering study for the rapid transit system link between Singapore and Johor Bahru.

At the press conference following the leaders' meeting, Mr Najib said that he had also proposed a "friendship bridge" between the two countries.

Mr Najib said: "Another initiative which I like to stress is a long-term initiative, looking at the road links between Malaysia and Singapore - a proposal to have a friendship bridge that will certainly enhance good connectivity, improve the environment as well as create much stronger links between our two countries and symbol of the growing friendship."

In response, Mr Lee agreed that Singapore will need to widen the links across the Straits of Johor and has been studying this for the long term.

To provide greater convenience for commuters, Mr Lee said the Customs & Immigration Quarantine Complex will most probably be co-located for the rail transit system link and the high-speed rail.

Mr Najib also proposed joint border control to be implemented for the rail transit system link and the high-speed rail, which means having only one checkpoint for entry into both Singapore and Malaysia.

He added that this will enhance connectivity of goods, services and people between both countries.

Both leaders also noted the progress in Iskandar Malaysia and commended the work of the Malaysia-Singapore Joint Ministerial Committee for Iskandar Malaysia.

Mr Najib said: "Iskandar Malaysia is a strategic play to raise Malaysia above the global competition and to help Singapore maintain our economic competitiveness by integrating our two economies and complementing one another.

“And we agreed that it's important to develop the Iskandar Malaysia project comprehensively not just in services, not just in residential properties, although they are important, but also in manufacturing, in industries in order to create jobs, to attract investments, have an organic, comprehensive, dynamic centre of economic vitality in Johor."

These include UK-based metal-stockist Howco Group's decision to build a S$20-million heat treatment facility in Iskandar Malaysia to complement Singapore operations.

Mr Lee added that as Iskandar thrives, having a skilled labour force is also crucial.

As such, both leaders welcomed ongoing discussions between the various agencies for both countries for collaboration in vocational training.

They also acknowledged that the transboundary haze pollution is a recurring problem for the region and have reaffirmed their commitment to take decisive actions to solve the problem.

Mr Lee also expressed his deepest sympathies over the loss of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 and said Singapore stands ready to help Malaysia in the next phase of investigations.

Meanwhile, Mr Najib said Malaysia appreciated Singapore's prompt assistance in search and rescue operations.

Both leaders have agreed to hold the next retreat in 2015 in Singapore and looked forward to the state visit by Malaysia’s head of state to Singapore later in April.

- CNA/nd/xq
source: CNA

Last edited by Mith252; April 8th, 2014 at 06:45 AM.
Mith252 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 01:12 AM   #271
Mith252

News from TODAY.

https://scontent-a-sin.xx.fbcdn.net/...13423812_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...90013570_n.jpg

source: TODAY
Old April 8th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #272
dan72
Rai

Likes (Received): 23

I hope the build the station in the city even though it is more expensive as it is a 100 yeqr plus piece of infrastructure and dont want to be short sighted and locate it a long way away

maginn liked this post
dan72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 03:05 AM   #273
nazrey

Najib, Lee reiterate high-speed rail link to complete by 2020
07 April 2014| last updated at 04:11PM
http://www.nst.com.my/latest/najib-l...-2020-1.554422

PUTRAJAYA: Malaysia and Singapore prime ministers have reiterated that the proposed High-Speed Rail Link between the republic and Kuala Lumpur will be completed as scheduled in 2020.

Speaking to reporters today, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak said both governments were mindful of the fact that the project was ambitious and both governments were working hard towards meeting the deadline.

He said the proposed project would enhance the cross-border connectivity between both countries.

"I think it is too early for us to revise the timeline at this stage. We wanted it to be an ambitious target, so that we will be very focussed and both governments will be directed towards the target date of 2020," he said.

Najib said the first phase of the joint engineering study to develop possible alignment for the project and the proposal for the proposed Rail Transit System (RTS) connecting Singapore and Johor Baru was completed.

"It will soon come a time for us to decide on the best option. We have 27 possible options to make RTS the most efficient and effective transport system that will benefit both nations," he added.

He said Malaysia would be making the decision fairly soon on the RTS location in Johor Baru.

Najib and his counterpart, Lee Hsien Loong, attended a closed-door delegation meeting prior to the press conference.

Lee said the officials of both countries had to work in a very focussed way in order to get the proposed High-Speed Rail Link project done.

"2020 is a good target to work for. It will be challenging to achieve but I don't think we should relax the constraints yet," he said.

Lee was in Malaysia for a two-day annual Leader's Retreat. He arrived yesterday, accompanied by his wife Ho Ching, and Singapore' senior officials.

Najib said the end-point for High-Speed Rail link in Malaysia is at Bandar Malaysia, where the current Air Force base is located.

As for Singapore, Lee said, there would be three possibilities for the end-point of the rail link in Singapore namely Tuas West, Jurong East and the City.

"I shared some of the considerations and the possibilities to the Malaysian prime minister. This is something that we are working on and we will decide this year or so," he said.

Meanwhile, in a joint statement issued after the Malaysia-Singapore Leaders' Retreat, both prime ministers urged the High-Speed Rail Work Group to work diligently towards fulfilling its mandate by 2020.

The fifth retreat, held here, is a platform for both leaders to take stock of bilateral cooperation between both countries.

The last meeting took place in Singapore in February last year, which saw them agreeing on a high-speed rail link between the republic and Kuala Lumpur, which would significantly cut travel time between both countries to just 90 minutes. -- BERNAMA
Old April 12th, 2014, 05:48 AM   #274
Mith252

News from TODAY.

https://scontent-a-sin.xx.fbcdn.net/...91027860_n.jpg

source: TODAY
Old May 13th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #275
nazrey

High-speed link on track
13 May 2014| last updated at 12:38AM
http://www.nst.com.my/business/natio...track-1.594942

An illustration of potential economic development zones around the HSR station

RAIL CONNECTION: SPAD continues to pave way for realisation of project

THE Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD), which has been tasked with overseeing a high-speed rail system (HSR) to connect Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, continues to pave the way for the building of the HSR.

In June last year, SPAD presented results of the Phase 1B Feasibility Study on the project to the Economic Council (EC).

The study included an economic benefit analysis and a strategic implementation plan. It also identified the required technical and engineering components for the project.

The EC gave positive feedback on the study and its approval for SPAD to proceed with Phase 2A.

SPAD plans this year to complete Phase 2A, which will include:
  • Government-to-government engagement and agreement with Singapore;
  • Technical surveys;
  • Socioeconomic analysis on the five HSR stations;
  • Environmental analysis along the track alignment; and
  • Setting up a dedicated HSR team.

The HSR initiative is expected to enhance commerce and services between two of Southeast Asia’s largest economic hubs.

Commuters of the HSR, which will be the region’s first high-speed rail track, will take two to two-and-a-half hours in point-to-point travel to reach the cities.

Towns along the rail connection are expected to benefit from this project, with opportunities for development, business and employment.
Old May 19th, 2014, 12:50 PM   #276
nazrey

Quote:
image hosted on flickr
KL HSR Terminus @ Bandar Malaysia
taken from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJecKK_UURI

Old May 19th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #277
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

They could have chosen something newer than this first generation TGV (1980!) for this rendering..
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:30 AM   #278
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

As long as they choose something modern like the Alstom AGV or the Siemens Velaro for actual operations, they can use whatever they like for the rendering
georgiaame

Old June 9th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #279
CHT

Likes (Received): 181

13 bidders, many foreign interest in this project

CHT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #280
dan72
Rai

Likes (Received): 23

I hope they choose the city centre option for singapore dont want a 30 minute commute from jurong or tuas west. Especially when it only takes 2.5 hours. Most good hsr systems in europe drop you right in the heart of the city not way outside the city especially a city the size of singapore

maginn, Silly_Walks, jonasry liked this post
dan72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote